PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David A Chill In The Air - 01/12/21 07:33 PM
A Chill In The Air

Just some more playing around with BIAB 2021. I entered some chords - some unusual chords in the chorus (mostly m11ths) - and picked out a few RTs and presto! However, I did attempt to build three layers of depth in the instruments: percussions slightly out front; acoustic piano panned wide and slightly behind the percussions; and the lead guitar centered behind the acoustic piano and guitar. The acoustic rhythm guitar is faint in the mix but fills its space adequately. The lead guitar isn't much louder than the backing tracks but I liked that sound mix on this particular piece. I thought it offered a balanced and subtle blend. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alan

File:A Chille In The Air.SGU
Key=Bm , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=2:52

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is _REDEEM.STY (Redeem Mod Jazz Pop Guitar Solo)

RealTracks in style: 2957:Bass, Acoustic, ModernJazz8thsNeil Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 920:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Rumba Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 3399:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRockSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3200:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
Loop in Song: Drums\ShakerEven8ths
RealDrums [in Song:BossaRockFull^6-a:Blastix, HiHat , b:Sidestick, HiHat Loud

Posted By: Rob4580 Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/12/21 08:47 PM
Great tune to chill out to.
Very relaxing, good choice of band and spot on production.
Rob4580
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/13/21 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great tune to chill out to.
Very relaxing, good choice of band and spot on production.
Rob4580

Hi Rob ...

Wow ... talk about a fast-moving board! I posted this just a few hours ago and already on page 2! But, it's really nice to see so much activity on the forum. It's been a bit slow lately.

Always a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you so much for your very nice comments. I appreciate them very much.

Hope 2021 treats you well. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/13/21 04:35 PM
Alan,

Loved it. As I've said before...you are SO good at this!!

The wide panned piano sounds great. I always do that with the BIAB pianos using the biaural pan plugin in Studio One - so I'd be interested in how you do it...

Everything sounds great. Drums are just right. Bass is just right. Guitar sounds great. As you always do... you put together a solo tracks that sounds like it was recorded specifically for this song.

Very much enjoyed (more than once...)

fj
Posted By: Deej56 Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/13/21 06:36 PM
Alan,

Masterful mix of a very chill song. Instrumentals are not always my favorite thing, but this one works on so many levels. Very engaging and easy on the ears. Excellent!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/13/21 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

The wide panned piano sounds great. I always do that with the BIAB pianos using the biaural pan plugin in Studio One - so I'd be interested in how you do it...

Everything sounds great. Drums are just right. Bass is just right. Guitar sounds great. As you always do... you put together a solo tracks that sounds like it was recorded specifically for this song.

fj

Thanks so much, Floyd.
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/13/21 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

fj

Thanks so much, Floyd. I always appreciate your kind words. I'm delighted that most of my instrumentals sound pretty decent to you. I'll send you a PM in just a bit.

Best to you and yours.

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/14/21 02:50 PM
Excellent solo guitar track Alan. Lovely song.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/14/21 07:01 PM
Alan, very nice production on this. The editing is great and the mix is terrific. Just a great listen,Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/15/21 10:16 AM
Hi Alan,

Beautifully crafted as always.

Loved the whole vibe, particularly the haunting lead guitar - that "Brent" guy has a bit of talent!

For a few minutes there I drifted away from the thin covering of
frozen snow and the grey skies here in England, to somewhere warm
and relaxing. Many thanks for that.

Hope you're keeping well and staying safe my friend.

Take care,
ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/16/21 12:59 PM
Outstanding Al.

You are a master of the RT/RDs with, of course, your arrangements.

We've noted it previously but your finesse with solo RT's is remarkable.

As floyd noted the panned piano is very effective. We use a Logic Pro plug-in for that effect.

This could easily have been a bunch of guys/gals who've been playing together for years.

Excellent!

J&B
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/16/21 01:38 PM
Nice use of the band. Good relaxing sounds.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/16/21 05:30 PM
Great, Al! I liked the changes and the mix was so nice on the ears. A pleasure to just kick back and enjoy this!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/16/21 05:33 PM
Absolutely enjoyed this from the very first note.

The combination of instrumnets is unique and very imaginative.

I agree that the guitar does not need to be prominent for this to work. It sits just perfectly in the mix.

Quality!
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent solo guitar track Alan. Lovely song.

Scott ...

Many thanks! Glad you enjoyed your listen. I appreciate your time and very nice comment. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, very nice production on this. The editing is great and the mix is terrific. Just a great listen,Tom

Hi Tom ...

Always a pleasure and a treat to hear from you. You humble me with your kindness. Thank you so much! Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Alan,

Beautifully crafted as always.

Loved the whole vibe, particularly the haunting lead guitar - that "Brent" guy has a bit of talent!

For a few minutes there I drifted away from the thin covering of
frozen snow and the grey skies here in England, to somewhere warm
and relaxing. Many thanks for that.

Hope you're keeping well and staying safe my friend.

Take care,
ROG.

Hello ROG ...

Yeah Brent usually come through for me ... might have to give him a raise! I liked the word haunting for the lead track. I thought this track was a bit of an unusual choice for this song when I first listen to it, but I liked what I got when I regenerated it a few times.

Minor eleventh chords are favorites of mine but there are only so many times/places you can use them without resolving to some iteration of the five chord. But here I used them as the first two chords of the chorus. When I played around with them on guitar, I found other places to use them without them being too much of a "shock" out of their their more typical placement in the progression. More than you probably wanted to know, but for FIW, thought I'd offer the little bit of my reasoning for the arrangement.

Here in the southern US, we seldom get more than a light dusting of snow. But where I'm from originally (St. Louis, Missouri), we usually got 3 or 4 snowfalls every winter over varying depth between a few inches and a foot.

Stay warm! And many thanks for the nice comments! Wishing you well ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Outstanding Al.

You are a master of the RT/RDs with, of course, your arrangements.

We've noted it previously but your finesse with solo RT's is remarkable.

As floyd noted the panned piano is very effective. We use a Logic Pro plug-in for that effect.

This could easily have been a bunch of guys/gals who've been playing together for years.

Excellent!

J&B

Hey Guys!

Well, I think the only thing I have mastered is saying "yes ma'am" and "would you like that today or yesaterday" ro Di. Seriously, I'm not a learned musician. I don't appreciably read music and little to no music theory. But I can figure out what I want/need most of the time.

This may sound odd to you, but music has one thing in common to most western languages (particularly the romantic languages) and mathematics. And that is: they all have a basic syntax that is typical throughout their implementation I speak decent German, almost passable Spanish and enough French to get in trouble but not out of trouble. And I'm pretty good at math - didn't like it in high school but did well in math courses anyway. I can apply many of the similarities in math and languages to music and it usually works. I won't bore you the a dissertation on how I do that, but that's what I do. The correlation to math is more obvious then that of languages, I guess. But I clearly recognize the correlation of all three of them an apply it.

Sorry /bout all that. It just jumped from my fingers to the keyboard. Many thanks for your perpetual; support and and appreciation of my musical efforts. Hope both of you have a great 2021. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice use of the band. Good relaxing sounds.

Many thanks for the listen and very nice comments. I appreciate both. Wishing you the very best. Keep making music ... I like what you bring to the forum. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great, Al! I liked the changes and the mix was so nice on the ears. A pleasure to just kick back and enjoy this!

Hi Bob!

You are much too kind ... but I have learned to deal with it, so don't stop! So glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know. Wishing you nothing but the best in the remainder of the year. Please take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/17/21 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I agree that the guitar does not need to be prominent for this to work. It sits just perfectly in the mix.

Quality!

Hello VT ...

Thank you so much! You're a very accomplished and knowledgeable musician / composer and your nice comments put a big smile on my face. Again, thank you. Take care and have a great 2021.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/18/21 04:53 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Quality!

Hello VT ...

I always feel privileged when you stop in for a listen and leave a few well-chosen and considerate words after listening to my musical.

Thank you so much for those very kind words. "Unique and imaginative" are powerful words and I am deeply humbled and simultaneously pleased your suggestion of them. Thank you so much. Thank you again for your kindness. Glad you agree with the spatial placement of the lead guitar. I simply wanted it to be a gentle but easily identifiable track that kept the music cohesive and going in the right direction. Many thanks for your input and support.

Wishing you everything good.
Posted By: Derochette Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/18/21 11:25 AM
Hi Al-David,

Beautiful solo guitar. The piano is also very pleasant. Very relaxing and very intimate atmosphere. Well done

Kindly regards
Take care of yourself
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/18/21 01:07 PM
What an amazing song. I absolutely LOVE music that creates a mood. I've probably mentioned that a few times now. smile
Anyway, you always seem to be able to catch my ear and bring me to a place where I know the feeling of what's happening without a single world being used. THAT is what blows my mind. FEELING in music is pretty much everything to me. I completely forget the tools you are using and just listen to something that speaks to my soul. You consistently bring that to your songs. This song being one that really showcases that.

Thank you for having some fun with the mix and and chord choices. You did both in a way that I think any musician would give you a tip of the hat to. Not weird; but VERY interesting can be hard to pull off. You made this seem like child's play. I know that I could not pull what you did off.

Thanks for sharing this. I will be listening to this a good number of times in my life, so I thank you for that gift. It's fun to be inspired!
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/18/21 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Al-David,

Beautiful solo guitar. The piano is also very pleasant. Very relaxing and very intimate atmosphere. Well done

Kindly regards
Take care of yourself
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you very much, Derochette!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/18/21 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
What an amazing song. I absolutely LOVE music that creates a mood. I've probably mentioned that a few times now. smile
Anyway, you always seem to be able to catch my ear and bring me to a place where I know the feeling of what's happening without a single world being used. THAT is what blows my mind. FEELING in music is pretty much everything to me. I completely forget the tools you are using and just listen to something that speaks to my soul. You consistently bring that to your songs. This song being one that really showcases that.

Thank you for having some fun with the mix and and chord choices. You did both in a way that I think any musician would give you a tip of the hat to. Not weird; but VERY interesting can be hard to pull off. You made this seem like child's play. I know that I could not pull what you did off.

Thanks for sharing this. I will be listening to this a good number of times in my life, so I thank you for that gift. It's fun to be inspired!

Aaron:

What does one say after such a terrific review? A sincere thank you is what first comes to mind. Even though I do not spend nearly as much time "tweaking" my compositions as most folks do, I generally have a good idea what I'm trying to achieve as I put my songs together. I focus more on "listenability" and 'feel" than I do technical issues - not that I don't consider the technical issues. I just want the listener to enjoy the song. Most listeners who are not musicians just want a song that entertains them, speaks to them, or just catches their fancy.

As you may know, I'm also an author. I approach my literary writing in a very similar manner. I just want to tell an interesting story. In my music, I just want to create something that catches the emotion of the listener.

Again, I am humbled by but very appreciative of your very kind review. Thank you so very much!

Wishing you everything good in 2021.

Alan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/19/21 11:29 AM
YES!! Alan, I got so caught up in the feel the first go-round I had to listen twice to consider the mix. Dang, it's mixed so perfectly --everything plays its part so well in its place I'd swear they were in the same live studio. This is soooo good.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/19/21 01:03 PM
Hi Alan awesome choice of realtracks and arrangement outstanding work as this playing in background love it keep them coming Eric
Posted By: Leon1 Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 12:06 AM
Hi Alan.
Beautifully constructed piece that creates a lovely mood. Also enjoyed reading your comments. Clearly you're a man of many talents.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 12:14 AM
Very nice groove. Smooth and serene. Relaxing. I LIKE IT !!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
YES!! Alan, I got so caught up in the feel the first go-round I had to listen twice to consider the mix. Dang, it's mixed so perfectly --everything plays its part so well in its place I'd swear they were in the same live studio. This is soooo good.

Hi Marty ...

Thank you so much! You are always very kind to my music. I appreciate that very much. As I think you know, I do all my "mixing" on the chord input page ... no DAW other than using Audacity to covert it to an MP3 and a WAV. I might slightly touch up the EQ or give the tracks a small amount of compression. But everything else is done in BIAB.

Again, thank you!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Alan awesome choice of realtracks and arrangement outstanding work as this playing in background love it keep them coming Eric

HI Eric ...

Many thanks for all those very nice comments! And, I will keep posting a new one every week or so. And I always enjoy your guitar work. Hope 2021 is very good to you. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Alan.
Beautifully constructed piece that creates a lovely mood. Also enjoyed reading your comments. Clearly you're a man of many talents.
Regards,
Leon

Hi Leon ...

Thank you so much for all your very nice comments. Glad you enjoyed the song. I appreciate you letting me know. As far as many talents, I've always enjoyed the creative side of things. I don't know how much talent is in that, but I have a heck of a good time with my projects. Again, many thanks ...

Alan
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 04:44 PM
Hi, Al & Di !:))

Immediately as I heard the first
tones of this superb tune of yours
I came to think of a new Bond Theme !
I think you could write music for
movies ( and naturally for smoky
night clubs alike) ! In fact you
seem to me to be the master of
these genrés ! Absolutely superb
music !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 09:42 PM
Ahhhh...such a relaxing piece to listen to after a tiring day of work. Thanks for composing the right prescription for my exhaustion. Beautiful composition and nicely layered and mixed production. That lead is in the mix just right...like baby bear porridge.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/21/21 10:06 PM
Pleasant listening!

Nice arrangement.

moto
Posted By: rayc Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 03:03 AM
The thing that strikes me about your BIB creations, Alan, is the way you manage to select the best melodic pieces and make them into an engaging whole.
Lovely stuff.
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al & Di !:))

Immediately as I heard the first
tones of this superb tune of yours
I came to think of a new Bond Theme !
I think you could write music for
movies ( and naturally for smoky
night clubs alike) ! In fact you
seem to me to be the master of
these genrés ! Absolutely superb
music !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani ...

Song track for a James Bond movie? I'll take that! Thank you so much for those very encouraging and wonderful comments. I appreciate it very much. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Ahhhh...such a relaxing piece to listen to after a tiring day of work. Thanks for composing the right prescription for my exhaustion. Beautiful composition and nicely layered and mixed production. That lead is in the mix just right...like baby bear porridge.

Hi Ez ...

Glad I could bring a little bit of relaxation to your evening. Thanks for letting me know that. Glad you enjoyed it and the the overall project works for you. Many thanks!z Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Pleasant listening!

Nice arrangement.

moto

Cap'n ...

Many thanks, my friend. Glad you enjoyed it! Good to hear! Hope you have a terrific 2021. All the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The thing that strikes me about your BIB creations, Alan, is the way you manage to select the best melodic pieces and make them into an engaging whole.
Lovely stuff.

Hello Ray ...

Those are some very, very comments. Thank you very much! I simply trust my ears and believe in my intuition - I have no "secrets" regarding the manner in which I construct my musical projects. It's just me, my guitar (for the original idea), a computer (no DAW), and Band In A Box. Whatever I can do with those resources is my recipe.

Again, I appreciate those comments more than you might realize. Best to you in 2021.

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 05:43 PM
Alan

That was a very pleasant listen, just drifting along beautifully.

Everything was well mixed and composed.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/22/21 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

That was a very pleasant listen, just drifting along beautifully.

Everything was well mixed and composed.

Peter

Thank you so much, Peter! I appreciate that. So glad you could just "drift" with it. I like that analogy! Thanks for the listen and nice comments. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Will Josef Re: A Chill In The Air - 01/23/21 11:31 AM
A warm and chillin' tune. Lovely! I like when you create music in this style. Very enjoyable and relaxing music!

Stay safe!
Will
© PG Music Forums