PG Music Home
Posted By: Henry Clarke Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/16/21 12:17 PM
Thought I'd take a crack at a Pseudo Pop Song created in Band in a Box 2021. Utility Tracks helped out a lot in putting this one together. A total of 14 tracks were used just for the music. Hi string is MIDI synth not BIAB. Played through an M-Audio keyboard controller using a String sound module in Cakewalk Sonar. To take some of the work out of the background vocals in the hook I used Antares Vocal Harmonizer. Great product but you have to get it right to use it properly. My usual method is to sing into my TASCAM but since I had a FOCUSRITE interface I decided to use it singing directly into my PC. I think it worked great and I may continue to use it in the future instead of my TASCAM.

https://soundcloud.com/henry-clarke-133416910/not-enough

Style was "Electronic Chillout POP

3 Loops (Daydream "Bass", "Chilly Night Drumloop", "Daydream Percussion").
Bass - 1759 Electric Pop 16ths
Drums - Real Drums 70's Pop Funk
Guitar - 1004 12 String Acoustic
Piano - Electric Rhythm Smooth Cool
Organ - 2692 Rhythm
Synth Pad - 2745 Rhythm Alt Hip Hop
Acoustic Piano - 1405 Acoustic Rhythm Soul
Acoustic Guitar Bright - 1828 Rhythm Pop Modern Groove
Background Vocals - 3027 Vocal Oohs and Aahs
Strings - 2952 Rhythm Jazz Ballad
Guitar Solo - 2829 Electric Soloist

Equipment:
Standard Windows PC
Cakewalk Sonar Producer
M-Audio Keyboard Controller
Focusrite USB Interface
Shure PG-42 Microphone
Antares (Vocal production Suite)
iZotope Nectar 2 Vocal Suite
Cakewalk Breverb
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/16/21 04:44 PM
An impressive clean mix, and the vocals are outstanding.

Really enjoyed the balance, and the Focusrite certainly delivered.

Oh yes, there is really a massive number of things to like about this production. First class, from start to finish.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/16/21 05:12 PM
Best I've heard from you if memory serves. I often listen to a user track multiple times for critical purposes, but with this, I listened over and over just for the sheer enjoyment. Top level work!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/16/21 08:16 PM
Sounds great to me Henry!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/16/21 08:32 PM
Hello Henry.Another masterful tune.
I particularly enjoyed your falsetto and a nice touch.
Great band choice.
Well crafted and mixed. Rob4580
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/16/21 09:28 PM
Great song. Top quality write, arrangement, production and performance. You did a masterful job on those background vocals.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/17/21 12:49 AM
Love your vocals!

Great production.

Soooooooooo smooth.

moto
Posted By: Al-David Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/17/21 01:53 AM
Hello Henry ...

It's my honest opinion that the forum is always a better place when you're here. I think you already know I enjoy your music. Sixties and seventies funk, soul and pop-RnB is one of our very favorite musical pleasures. And you do it so dang good!

Super write, mix and vocals. What more could a listener want? Enjoyed it immensely. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: dani48 Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/17/21 09:23 AM
Hi, Henry !

Sounds terrific to me too !
Professional stuff all through !

cheers
Dani
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/19/21 08:18 AM
Hi Henry,

a very remarkable production ! A great song, superbly sung (LV and BGV) (Neville Bros. touch), excellent backing track - very, very impressive work.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/19/21 09:37 AM
Love it, Henry. Yes, the vocal sounds great, and I really like the backing vocals.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/20/21 11:35 PM
Nice groove, Henry and the vocals are terrific.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/21/21 07:30 PM
Beautifully produced and sung!! And a very sweet tune!! This is the best vocal I've heard from you, and the others were very good. I'm going to have to check out that Antares plugin! NICE STUFF!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/21/21 08:55 PM
Henry,
A well written, catchy song beautifully sung and harmonised.
Very enjoyable retro pop!

Robert
Posted By: Ardent Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/23/21 05:36 AM
This is a classically authentic 'stepper' that I could dance to with my eyes closed, or without a partner, even. That's because of its smooth tempo and attractive, lightly Latin-sounding rhythm. Your sincerely affecting lyrics clearly communicate an eager lover's utter and heart-breaking bewilderment over the loss of a loved one's affection. Been there, felt that!

Your inspired and well-mixed Real Track choices are accompanied by some expressive vocal harmonies that sustain the song's hurting mood from its instant intro to its emotionally unresolved fade-out.

The whole thing just sounds so well-conceived, constructed and performed with your vocal track standing out especially for being sung so well.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/23/21 11:38 PM
The more I listen to this, the more I truly believe it is worthy of Air Play. You should definitely consider that.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/27/21 01:13 AM
Nice!!

great groove and arrangement

beautiful arrangement of background vocals

lead vocal sounds like a star!

-rob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/27/21 11:18 AM
Henry, when I see a post by you I know I'm in for a treat. I was not disappointed. Great job. And yeah.... Good vocal job.
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/28/21 01:03 PM
First time hearing your talents Henry! Really well done all around.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/28/21 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
The more I listen to this, the more I truly believe it is worthy of Air Play. You should definitely consider that.

Absolutely! This is pro all the way, great backing track, groove, mix, and one outstanding vocal.

Excellent!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/29/21 01:26 AM
Hello Henry,

I think I've heard your work on Facebook before. You are an enormously talented songwriter and producer. Everything I've heard of yours is totally pro sounding. Your vocals are super liquid, and your ability to put tracks together to serve the mood of a song is right up there with the best I've heard anywhere.

The way you develop a song is too good to be a lucky home run. You clearly know what you are doing.
Your choice of chords is the first tip-off that you have had some musical training.

Much as this song blows me away there is one thing that leaves me scratching my head: the guitar that kicks in at the 3:00 marker sounds like it was recorded at a much slower tempo, and at your projects tempo the vibrato sounds unnatural. Having said that, I know that's a device that has been used in music many times on purpose.

Just LOVE the way you phase a variety of sonic tapestries in and out of the mix. The strings at the 1:30 marker really add a nice mood to that part of the song.

I also really like the way you use BGV as an instrument, not just as a complement to the lead vocal. They work like a vocal pad. VERY nice effect.

I'm getting an Earth Wind and Fire vibe from your use of vocals in the song. And that is no small accomplishment!

You should be famous Henry. But I guess there's still time, right?

Posted By: dcuny Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/29/21 02:12 AM
I enjoyed this a lot! laugh
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/31/21 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Absolutely! This is pro all the way, great backing track, groove, mix, and one outstanding vocal.

Excellent!

Thanks all. I'm truly flattered by the positive responses and the suggestion to release this song but to be candid based on the data of my releases and what's played along with public reactions to my previously released music this just doesn't cut it and would probably not resonate for my audience. It was just a stab at a pop style tune :-) As you guys know I'm not one to pick a song apart. I listen to a song in it's entirety and either it works or it doesn't. I don't say (or care) if a song has good or bad lyrics, good or bad chords, drums, etc.. I let the public be the judge of that. I think "Not Enough" is a good song but not worthy of release or air play. One thing I do is let Pandora, Spotify, and Deezer be my primary data points. Spotify because they have a huge audience, Deezer for European Data Points, and Pandora because they have to pick you to be on their platform. They get thousands of songs submitted per week (I read somewhere the acceptance rate was around 2% and they actually listen to every song) and for them to pick your songs it must be something they like. They picked songs that I did not think were that good but they must have heard something that they thought would resonate so I have to go with that. I have no control over what they play of mine. Unfortunately the only BIAB song that they like is "What I'm Gonna Do" (the reggae song). The others that gain the most listeners and airplay are non BIAB songs and more beat driven songs. I've provided links to those songs in case you guys want to have a listen. Some of them were written in BIAB conceptually but no music was produced in BIAB. However, ALL Music was produced with "Royalty Free" samples. Hopefully this response does not rub anyone the wrong way. It's just my opinion on judging music.

"Ain't Nobody's Bizness"
https://open.spotify.com/track/2Yb0wXaC7UyHwRVXtKsnyq?si=7neTVLaiQb-IL4bBpE5Yzw
https://pandora.app.link/gbj1fjY7tdb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFFlnONFq4

"You Make Me Feel So Good"
https://open.spotify.com/track/0Pq88pYkct3e9F72mrnyCh?si=H3Zyue7YTye1MbdlLzlNrA
https://pandora.app.link/hjK1UkH7tdb

"Those Were The Times"
https://open.spotify.com/track/1FmJJYUIs8eHqjOGucIpm1?si=ExH1rS3BTz6G0a5tG6lb0w
https://pandora.app.link/SjwvC3R7tdb
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/31/21 04:12 AM
Henry, I understand your evaluation, but I do believe that you are being 'slightly' over critical of yourself.

I hear some songs on mainstream radio and wonder how they ever got any air time. Short nonsensical music phrases endlessly repeated, no substance, maybe just a drum loop. Absolutely no musical quality, out of tune vocals, and yet they get a break. Don't ask me, I've got no idea why.

Here's a thought: What about approaching local community radio stations, I mean really local, like the type that have several different programs catering for a wider audience? The ones that are based on the east side of town or the north side of town. Most cities have several of these community radio stations. That's a starting point.

There are a few contributors to the User Showcase whose material absolutely stands out. Your contributions are in that list, believe me.

Trev
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 01/31/21 05:51 PM
Great vocals!
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/01/21 11:16 PM

[/quote]

Ha !! Par Marr ... That ship has sailed !! :-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/02/21 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
Quote:

Ha !! Par Marr ... That ship has sailed !! :-)

well... define "famous"

You are very talented... more so than a lot of people I have heard on the radio through the years. This means your combination of talent and effort has already exceeded that of some people who DID become famous.

Regardless of any accolades or financial success your music might provide, nobody can take away the proficiency you have earned. You have the respect of other song writers. You have the personal satisfaction of knowing that your songs reflect the vision you set out to achieve when writing them.

I have no idea what magical ingredient takes a song from being just another grain of sand on the beach and transforms it into a diamond that all the world gets to hear every ten minutes on the radio until they hate it. But if we isolate the talent and skill it takes to write a commercially viable song... you have that in abundance.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/03/21 09:10 PM
Excellent vocal performance. Production is lush and well mixed. Very enjoyable to listen to.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/07/21 02:15 PM
GREAT vocals and a nice production to support them.

Good to hear another from you and we most
enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Derochette Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/08/21 12:31 PM
Hi Henry,

It is a very pleasant and well done composition. I especially appreciate your vocal which is superb. The lead guitar is perhaps too far forward. Everything is well mixed. Well done.

Kindly regard
Take care of yourself

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/08/21 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Henry,

It is a very pleasant and well done composition. I especially appreciate your vocal which is superb. The lead guitar is perhaps too far forward. Everything is well mixed. Well done.

Kindly regard
Take care of yourself

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for the kind comments !!
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Never Enough - Henry Clarke - 02/08/21 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
GREAT vocals and a nice production to support them.

Good to hear another from you and we most
enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks guys !! I always enjoy your music too !! :-)
© PG Music Forums