Posted By: ChicagoBob MORE of ME (feat. Xtina) - 01/22/21 10:47 PM
More of Me
Feat. Xtine Louise
______

I created the piano melody myself and then added the _WESTPNO.sty with:
Bass=2474
Guitar 1=365 Acoustic Fingerpicking
Guitar 2=2916 Acoustic Rhythm
I also added style _ARDENT.sty to the bridge to change it slightly.

Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated.
Bob P (ChicagoBob)

Lyrics

Verse 1
i just heard the screen door slam again
oh but this time i’m not coming after you
Me not chasing you is my way of letting go
Time to find out who I am here on my own

Chorus
I know there’s more for me
i ‘ve got the whole world to see....
a brand new life is standing right in front of me
I lost you my love now I’m the one i am dreaming of
and becoming more of me and less of you
more of me

Verse 2
I cant stay in this lonely town
cause there is reason is there is nothing me down
me down

Chorus
I know there’s more for me
I have got the whole world to see
a brand new life is standing right in front of me
I lost you my love now I’m the one i am dreaming of
and becoming more of me and less of you
more of me

Bridge
more of me
more of me
Posted By: rayc Re: More of Me - 01/23/21 01:18 AM
Nice song.
Lovely melody.
A very sweet voice mixing country and folk flavours with a very contemporary nasal tone.
Cool.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: More of Me - 01/23/21 01:28 AM
Thanks RayC--- do like the arrangement?
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/23/21 08:36 PM
Very, very pretty song!! Lovely melody, and the singer is great!!.....where'd you find her? She has a hint of Rickie Lee Jones. I think the relatively sparse arrangement is exactly what the song needs. AWESOME!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/23/21 08:49 PM
Thanks Greg, i can pass on her contact info if you are interested in hiring her.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/24/21 08:00 AM
I revised this to make it more commercial and stay under 3:00 minutes. Also changed from 90 BPM to 100 and added a new guitar in the chorus...
Posted By: adreyhits Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/24/21 08:11 AM
Well Its great combination I want to listen this
Posted By: Crossroads Re: More of Me (feat. Xtina) - 01/24/21 01:57 PM
Hi ChicagoBob,

that's a really good one. Love that voice, that lady sure knows how to sing. Nice arrangement and mix. Enjoyed it a lot.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Leon1 Re: More of Me (feat. Xtina) - 01/24/21 09:38 PM
Lovely melody, the arrangement suits the song really well and the singer is great - those high notes are exquisite. Nice work.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: rayc Re: More of Me - 01/24/21 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
Thanks RayC--- do like the arrangement?

Yeah, it supports the song really nicely.
I did listen again to be sure...it gets a little busier and the vocal could be lifted a little at about 1.44 - just after that Autotune sounding vocal part.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/25/21 10:01 PM
thanks--- do you have any suggestions on how to improve it?
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/25/21 10:21 PM
I liked everything about this song. Super arrangement, fantastic voice, and an excellent mix. I wouldn't change a thing.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: More of Me (feat. Xtina) - 01/26/21 06:46 PM
Thanks Leon-- i think she made the melody i wrote really pop
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/27/21 11:12 AM
Thank you Mario
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/30/21 05:56 PM
I added Real Strings to the 2nd chorus to add more depth as well as Nashville 8 drums which I bring in at the first chorus
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/30/21 08:14 PM
The singer's got a great sounding voice, and the arrangement is really effective at creating a pretty setting.

Musically, this is really nice. smile

But... For my aged ears, the intelligibility pretty low, and I have to struggle to make out what she's singing. The consonants /T/ and /R/ are so soft in places as to be non-existent. In some places the consonants are being swallowed up by instruments.

As I'm not your target audience, I doubt that's an actual problem needing a solution. And to reference back to Greg's post, that didn't really hurt Ricky Lee Jones, did it? And I had a heck of a time understanding what she was singing as well. wink

Edit: On the off chance that you did want to increase the intelligibility (and again, I'm not saying that's something you actually want to do), my first thought would be to do a bit of an EQ cut on the instruments around the 2K range. Unfortunately, that's also where the guitar lives, so that's not likely to end well.

The other option - a bit less intrusive - would be to ride the vocals to bring out the consonants. Or if you're into micro-editing (one of my bad habits) put envelopes around the plosives to give them a bit more clarity.

It sounded like the piano is sitting in the same space as your vocalist. I'm not sure there's a need to double the vocal in the piano, even though it is a really pretty sound.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my suggestions. I'd take feedback from almost anyone over me any day of the week!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/30/21 09:58 PM
I like the song, the vocalist and the arrangement.
Very well done!

I do agree that the vocal track needs to be tweaked a bit.

I'm listening on a laptop with cheap headphones so, it's difficult to pinpoint any EQ recommendations.
Listening thru this setup I'd guess it could use a cut in the 500 - 1K range.

However, I would suggest using a compressor with slower attack time to make the vocals pop more, in keeping with a contemporary vibe.
That will also enhance clarity on the consonants.

Moto
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 01/30/21 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I liked everything about this song. Super arrangement, fantastic voice, and an excellent mix. I wouldn't change a thing.

Yep - what Mario said! I couldn't have said better. Thanks for a really nice listen. To my ears, your vocalist sounds a bit like Natalie Maines. Regardless, she and your song combine for a really nice listen. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: MORE of ME (feat. Xtina) - 01/31/21 05:47 PM
Great arrangement and melody! I really like Xtinas vocals as well.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/02/21 12:30 AM
David, Thank you for the ideas to improve on the vocals mix and the use of EQ. I will see what I can do.
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/02/21 12:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Yep - what Mario said! I couldn't have said better. Thanks for a really nice listen. To my ears, your vocalist sounds a bit like Natalie Maines. Regardless, she and your song combine for a really nice listen. Best to you ...

Alan

Sounds GREAT to me. Not my genre but she delivers it well and the instrumentation is great. Again I listen to the song as a whole. I think you've nailed it. Also shows the importance of having a vocalist that can "REALLY" sing delivery. I like it a lot !!
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/02/21 01:05 PM
Great job Chicago Bob! Obviously excellent production and vocals but the lyrics are equaly fantastic. Are you a member of NSAI? If not, you should consider attending the next NSAI Chicago Chapter meeting; they were actually awarded the NSAI 2020 chapter of the year because of how well they support their songwriting community. Regardless, I really enjoyed your song.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/05/21 07:24 PM
Thanks Dewey, I am checking into the Chicago Chapter
Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: More of Me - 02/07/21 02:25 PM
Bob, I like this a lot. I have listened several times. That girl can sing and the tone of her voice is perfect for the song. Well written and a real pleasure to listen to,Tom
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: More of Me - 02/07/21 07:40 PM
Thanks Tom, Do you think this song has commercial value? I have a chance to pitch a song and wondering if this is the right one?
Posted By: tommyad Re: More of Me - 02/07/21 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
Thanks Tom, Do you think this song has commercial value? I have a chance to pitch a song and wondering if this is the right one?
Sure! Good luck.
Posted By: Derochette Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/08/21 11:42 AM
Hi ChicagoBob,

Very nice song full of emotion. The voice is gripping and the sweet and sober arrangement well done. I really appreciated.

Kindly regard

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/10/21 08:45 PM
Dewey, Thanks for the advice on the Nashville Songwriters. I just signed up--there are a lot of benefits and wanted to share them on the forum

https://www.nashvillesongwriters.com
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/11/21 10:15 PM
I added a little video to help the song get visibility at YouTube and social media--

https://youtu.be/WaV_5vXJzg0
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/12/21 10:55 AM
Dynamic arrangement, and a sweet voice to carry fine lyrics to that engaging melody. A wonderful production, ChicagoBob.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 02/21/21 10:06 PM
I created a video to go with the song --helps on youtube and facebook

Posted By: floyd jane Re: More of Me - 02/22/21 12:23 PM
Nice melody. Good vocal.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 03/03/21 10:33 PM
Thank you for the feedback
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 03/04/21 11:49 AM
Excellent melody and arrangement and supported by
a nice vocal.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: Derochette Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 03/04/21 02:37 PM
Hi ChicagoBob,

I had already commented on your composition that I appreciated but your video gives an extra charm to your composition.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJack Flash
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 03/06/21 12:21 PM
Thanks Derochette, I am trying to do more work with videos and I find that the songs with video get more plays on all of my channels.
Bob
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 08/08/21 01:06 PM
I pitched this a couple of times and several comments were that that the chorus didnt stand out enough -- and ideas?
Posted By: DrDan Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 08/08/21 01:31 PM
This gets my vote for the Title of the month (or maybe year)!
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: NEW SONG: More of Me - 12/30/21 02:22 PM
Thanks @MusicStudent.. for me, I find that the title is so important for me in my creation process-- even for an instrumental it helps me "hear the song" in my head.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: MORE of ME (feat. Xtina) - 12/30/21 10:07 PM
The song is really nice and the singer is terrific. I'm not sure why I and others cannot make out the words she is singing. You could hire a pro mixer, they are not cheap ($100 roughly, so I'm told) but that could solve your problem.

As far as pitching it, have you listened to current music? Even ballads nowadays have hip hop elements to them. It's a mighty tough road. You've done a great job with this and obviously you've earned the admiration of the BIAB Showcase users. That would make me content.
© PG Music Forums