PG Music Home
First song in the new year. I've been messing around with some blues this time. A genre I don't venture into much with recording.

And.... perhaps a bit of advice from someone who's been married to the same woman for 38 years this year.... personal experience....
I've learned a few things in that time..... anyway.... this is a new song I finished up and was on the fence about even putting it out.

So, here it is.

Love That Woman

I was not sure if I wanted to play on this but in the end decided to be lazy and sit it out.

The style is Hazier ballad guitar.

Drums are rock modern 8 even
Bass 1191
B3 2692
Guitar 3343
Solo guitar 3348
Piano 891

Let me know what you think.

Lyrics:

Well it's so hard, to know what a woman has on her mind
It's impossible to know just what she's thinking about
Just a look from her, oh, can leave you breathless
Or mess your mind so bad, you don't know what to do or what to say

If you have ever, if you ever, ever, loved a woman
And looked into her eyes until, until you lost control
Well you know, yeah you know, there is no salvation
You're gonna stay right there, wrapped up in her charms, and drown.

There's no easy answer that I know, just hold on and don't let go and love Love that woman
She might be right she might be wrong really doesn't matter just hold on, and love, Love that woman

There ain't no way to save your soul all the pain and misery
The good times, oh yeah those good times, enjoy them while they last
One day you'll be thinking the sun is shining, shining oh so brightly
Next thing you know you're standing in the pouring rain

No easy answer that I know, just hold on and don't let go and love Love that woman
She might be right she might be wrong really doesn't matter just hold on, and love, Love that woman
Oh, love that woman... oh yeah,gotta love that woman.
Yeah, you gotta Love that girl.

Herb ..

That's some really cool music. You should give us a little more of the Blues. As I listened, Chris Stapleton came to mind. But I doubt he would have sung it any better. I like the somewhat busy bassline on this song. Drums really do the trick, too. As always, your fretwork is gravy ... smooth and warm but with a touch of spice.

And, if I ever figure the female mind, it would probably scare the heck out me! So, I just take Di's words at face value and nod. We've not yet
had an argument of any significance in the eight and half years we've been married. We were both 67 when we married.

In my opinion, one of your best posts in a long time. Take care.

Alan
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Herb ..

That's some really cool music. You should give us a little more of the Blues. As I listened, Chris Stapleton came to mind. But I doubt he would have sung it any better. I like the somewhat busy bassline on this song. Drums really do the trick, too. As always, your fretwork is gravy ... smooth and warm but with a touch of spice.

And, if I ever figure the female mind, it would probably scare the heck out me! So, I just take Di's words at face value and nod. We've not yet
had an argument of any significance in the eight and half years we've been married. We were both 67 when we married.

In my opinion, one of your best posts in a long time. Take care.

Alan

Alan, thanks. That's the first time I've been compared favorably with Chris Stapleton. Thanks. That's a nice compliment. Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for the tasty licks on the guitar. That was a RB track.
Thanks for the time it took to listen and reply.
I'm hearing Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd, with Mick Taylor on some guitar licks. Nice mix. Great rich vocals. Good one.
This is one of the best songs I've heard in this forum. Period! Your vocal performance is just so captivating and exactly how blues should be done in my opinion. Very, very good vocal!

This will be a song I will revisit and listen to many times in the future. Beautiful work!

Will
This sounds like vintage R&B to me. Really good vintage R&B! Best I've heard from you, if memory serves. Super soulful vocal. Great song. Well done!
Glad you put it out there, Herb. Nice groove, good lyrics and a really strong vocal. Much enjoyed,
Regards,
Leon
Herb, it does sound like Stapleton. The chord progression is like Tennessee whiskey and also Etta James’ I’d rather go blind. But all that aside it is all Herb. Great vocal. Maybe your best. The lyrics are fascinating in that the verses don’t rhyme but when you drop that last line in it fits as if it did rhyme. I’m not sure how you pulled that off. The soulfulness and the conversational lyric just works. Good one, Tom
Wow, Herb! This is AWESOME! I've been in a blues mood recently, so this is just what I can't hear enough of.
Herb

Very nice indeed. Excellent vocal and you did a great job with the RT guitar - fit the song very well.

Agree with Tom - a real Etta James vibe in there as well.

Peter
Hi Herb,

Your voice is exactly shaped for this kind of songs.
Very strong and a voice full of tension (I think I've said this a lot of times before to you)
Enjoyed listening.

Hans
Guitarhacker,

oh yeah, I sure can realte to that ! Great Blues tune, well-written and supervly sung. Love it.

Cheers,

Stefan
As you know we mostly reside in the blues genre so this is pretty much
right in our wheelhouse.

Nice band and mix and, yep, the Stapleton vibe was there for us also in the soulful vocal.

The solo RT was well chosen. Did you comp it up or get lucky on one generation?

Enjoyed it,

J&B

I love the blues and you kicked this one out of the park. Great vocal! Loved the backing tracks and mix. Also having been married for 53 years I can relate to this song.

Outstanding song and your best to date IMHO.
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
I'm hearing Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd, with Mick Taylor on some guitar licks. Nice mix. Great rich vocals. Good one.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.... I'd have never guessed those influences.... But there's no telling. Thanks for listening.
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
This is one of the best songs I've heard in this forum. Period! Your vocal performance is just so captivating and exactly how blues should be done in my opinion. Very, very good vocal!

This will be a song I will revisit and listen to many times in the future. Beautiful work!

Will

Man, that's some mighty high praise and I thank you. Come back and listen as often as you want.
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
This sounds like vintage R&B to me. Really good vintage R&B! Best I've heard from you, if memory serves. Super soulful vocal. Great song. Well done!

I certain appreciate the compliments of this song. Thank you.
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Glad you put it out there, Herb. Nice groove, good lyrics and a really strong vocal. Much enjoyed,
Regards,
Leon

You don't know how close this was to being mothballed. I wanted to do something new and this I reckon, was it. Kinda glad I didn't listen to that voice telling me to forget this one and write something else. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, it does sound like Stapleton. The chord progression is like Tennessee whiskey and also Etta James’ I’d rather go blind. But all that aside it is all Herb. Great vocal. Maybe your best. The lyrics are fascinating in that the verses don’t rhyme but when you drop that last line in it fits as if it did rhyme. I’m not sure how you pulled that off. The soulfulness and the conversational lyric just works. Good one, Tom

I've been listening to a lot of Bonamassa recently and I like his brand of the blues. Not your typical 1,4,5 blues. I've not listened to much of Stapleton but I do like what I've heard. His take on Tennessee Whisky is interesting and pretty cool. I had to go listen to Etta James because honestly, I had heard the name but no clue on the music....

You know, I really didn't even consider that the lyrics don't rhyme. Not even a little bit or close. But yeah, as I was writing this song, that natural aspect just kept the thing going. Normally, I'm thinking about and puzzling over what interesting word will rhyme in a given place and ever rewriting complete sections of a verse to get a decent, intelligent rhyme. I was thinking that I'd rewrite it and these lyrics were just place holders. I reckon, the "not quite a full or decent chorus" has some rhyme to it though. And that's another thing.... the not quite a chorus thing bugged me to no end. In the end I just said, oh well, and let it roll.

Thanks for seeing those things in this and pointing them out.
All Allman, all the time.... here on radio HERB.
Excellent vocal.

I mean, nice song, clear mix, solid write.

And I love it when everything stops and the horn spins on the B3.

Doubling the tempo at 4:10 is super-effective.

But still... that vocal.

laugh
Love it Herb! Very nice emotive vocal delivery! It's hard for us guitar players to sit out and let someone else play it (I've no doubt that you could have laid down an equally good solo) but you arranged a very good bluesy soulful track here! T
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Wow, Herb! This is AWESOME! I've been in a blues mood recently, so this is just what I can't hear enough of.

Yeah man, I heard your cool tune too... nice.... thanks for listening.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Herb

Very nice indeed. Excellent vocal and you did a great job with the RT guitar - fit the song very well.

Agree with Tom - a real Etta James vibe in there as well.

Peter

Thanks... I looked up Etta and that's some cool old stuff and I get the reference.
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Herb,

Your voice is exactly shaped for this kind of songs.
Very strong and a voice full of tension (I think I've said this a lot of times before to you)
Enjoyed listening.

Hans

Hey, thanks for listening.... much appreciated. Yes... I think you have said that before.... but hey, who cares?
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Guitarhacker,

oh yeah, I sure can realte to that ! Great Blues tune, well-written and supervly sung. Love it.

Cheers,

Stefan

Thanks. I'm really glad folks are listening and liking this.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
As you know we mostly reside in the blues genre so this is pretty much
right in our wheelhouse.

Nice band and mix and, yep, the Stapleton vibe was there for us also in the soulful vocal.

The solo RT was well chosen. Did you comp it up or get lucky on one generation?

Enjoyed it,

J&B

Thanks for listening. So yeah... that real track..... It was actually the solo track in the style. I opened the project in real band and this is the track it rendered for me. I actually didn't like it much when I first listened...but being pressed by other obligations, there wasn't a lot of time to imagine my own track and licks. Yep, this is a one time original shot. No comps in it. What I did however was some strategic and surgical editing with volume envelopes in Sonar. For example, I dropped a portion of the intro out and also cut off a bit here and there in the solo. Less is more as they say. So yeah, one well executed generation and some editing of volume.... waaa laaa!
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I love the blues and you kicked this one out of the park. Great vocal! Loved the backing tracks and mix. Also having been married for 53 years I can relate to this song.

Outstanding song and your best to date IMHO.

Thanks buddy. Yeah, anyone who's been married to the same one for a reasonable period of time will certainly relate to this tune.
Posted By: rayc Re: Love That Woman (a bit of the bluez for ya) - 01/30/21 06:00 AM
Nice one,
gender could be swapped with no impact on the message or rendition.
Cool band and a very cool vocal performance.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
All Allman, all the time.... here on radio HERB.

I guess that's a good thing.... right? Thanks for listening
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Excellent vocal.

I mean, nice song, clear mix, solid write.

And I love it when everything stops and the horn spins on the B3.

Doubling the tempo at 4:10 is super-effective.

But still... that vocal.

laugh

Man I love those spinning horns too. It reminds me of a band story.... Years ago, I played in a band and the drummer left to go audition for a shot at the "big time" as he put it. Well, he showed back up a few days later with a keyboard player in tow. The big time wasn't what it seemed to be. But we ended up with an organ player for a few weeks. This guy was also a serious alcoholic. Southern Comfort liquor for breakfast kind of guy. Anyway, he had a white caddy and pulled a trailer as large as our band trailer. He had a Hammond B3 and a Leslie unit. Talk about heavy... OMG. It sounded really good and he could certainly play. However, that night that he stood up on his B3 and literally, yelling and cursing at the audience for requesting a song that he personally hated, was the final straw. It didn't help that he also fell off the B3 in the middle of it all..... Needless to say, the club was not very impressed with that escapade. It was a Moose Lodge kind of place and they promised us that we would never play there again or in any of their brother lodges in the entire state. Bad thing was, they paid really well. Jay was fired that very night but the club didn't care. The damage was done.

Thanks for listening to the song and my sad band story tale.

Edit.... doubling the tempo.... its not actually doubling the tempo. That kinda threw me so I went to listen where you indicated. It's a songwriting trick that I picked up somewhere along the way. If the groove or feel of the verse is slow, as this is, you simply put more words in the chorus or the bridge and change the rhythm and feel of the parts..... you can also do the opposite. Make the verses busy and chill on the chorus.
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Love it Herb! Very nice emotive vocal delivery! It's hard for us guitar players to sit out and let someone else play it (I've no doubt that you could have laid down an equally good solo) but you arranged a very good bluesy soulful track here! T

Yes... I think you are correct. It would have been fun to do my own solo and fills but, I got lazy and the existing one sounded fairly nice the more I listened so..... Yep

Thanks
Originally Posted By: rayc
Nice one,
gender could be swapped with no impact on the message or rendition.
Cool band and a very cool vocal performance.

And that is very true. Maybe a few word changes and certainly, this could switch easily.

Glad you liked it. Thanks
Sounds like a hit to me.
Nicely put together.

Love the emotion in your vocals, that always make for a winner.

Great song!

moto
Very cool song. Super vocal and lyric. Loved the backing band. Well done
WOW!! You sang the hell out of this one!!!...........Herbie Ray Vaughn!!! Love the sound you got in the mix.....very live and soulful.....love that solo RT!! GREAT STUFF Herb!! Take care. Greg
Sounds good. Nice use of BIAB. Mix is well balanced.
Enjoyed the listen.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Sounds like a hit to me.
Nicely put together.

Love the emotion in your vocals, that always make for a winner.

Great song!

moto

Wish it was a hit.... but alas....

Thanks for listening and commenting
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song. Super vocal and lyric. Loved the backing band. Well done

Thanks Scott..... sometimes things just work out.
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!! You sang the hell out of this one!!!...........Herbie Ray Vaughn!!! Love the sound you got in the mix.....very live and soulful.....love that solo RT!! GREAT STUFF Herb!! Take care. Greg

You seem like you like this.... I'm impressed even now, after having used BB for over a decade that it gives me such fine, well played, tracks.

Thanks
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sounds good. Nice use of BIAB. Mix is well balanced.
Enjoyed the listen.

Glad you did and glad you stopped in to comment. A well balanced mix.... isn't that the goal most of the time?

Thanks.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I love these stories - especially since I didn't have to live them myself! wink

Back in the day, the only sort of music I did was an occasional church wedding gig. I wasn't really that good - I relied on using a sequencer for the really tricky stuff - but unlike the guy I replaced, I was always there, and sober.

You're think that low bar would be easy to reach, but... apparently not.

Quote:
Edit.... doubling the tempo.... its not actually doubling the tempo.

Yep. Nice trick, worked really well here.

I've filed it away to use some time. smile
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I love these stories - especially since I didn't have to live them myself! wink

Back in the day, the only sort of music I did was an occasional church wedding gig. I wasn't really that good - I relied on using a sequencer for the really tricky stuff - but unlike the guy I replaced, I was always there, and sober.

You're think that low bar would be easy to reach, but... apparently not.

Quote:
Edit.... doubling the tempo.... its not actually doubling the tempo.

Yep. Nice trick, worked really well here.

I've filed it away to use some time. smile

That trick is something good to use.

And low bar.... That's why I prefer playing with BB, my studio band, vs live players. My band is always on time, never shows up drunk, doesn't try to hit on my wife, and plays what I ask them to play, without complaining.
I always like your write, arrangements and productions. With this song, your performance is stand out good. One of my favorites from you. Enjoyed it.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I always like your write, arrangements and productions. With this song, your performance is stand out good. One of my favorites from you. Enjoyed it.

Charlie.... I thought this was gone. Thanks for your time and commenting.
Hi Guitarhacker,

Very nice introduction with the guitar solo. This composition is a good tribute to our wife. The lyrics are well written and the musical arrangement well done.

Kindly regard

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
© PG Music Forums