PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood Listen... - 01/27/21 09:00 AM
Hello everyone,

I was away for a while. I see a lot of songs I have to listen to. But I hope you also want to take a listen to my first new song of 2021 and also first contribute to our forum this year. The song is called LISTEN, not only because I want you to do so. It's mainly because of the story of the song:
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/listen-240121-v18a

It is some kind of lovestory and has a bit a French setting. I used an accordeon for that. I also used a Koto, a Japanese snare instrument that one cannot use so easely in a song. But here it does and also on a solo part.
I think you won't have any difficulty with the French words I used whistle

Let me know what you think of it; what is good or what can I improve.
Thanks,
Hans (Birchwood)

The song:
Style is _NATURAL.STY (Natural 1990s Indie Folk Pop)
I used:
RealTracks: 3468:Bas
RealTracks: 1757:Accordeon
RealTracks: 3703:Guitar, Acoustic
RealTracks: 3708:Guitar, Acoustic
RealTracks: 2327:Koto, Synth
RealTracks: 3236:Guitar, Nylon
RealDrums : Congas and Shaker [Multi]
Keyboard for 'house-sounds' in choruses

The lyrics:
Listen
(c) HWBerkhout (Birchwood) 24-01-2021

She came from Paris on her own
It's the place she calls home
She speaks English with a French accent
But whatever I say she'll understand

A week ago she came to visit me
And she loved to stroll near the sea
"Je t'aime"! I wished to shout out loud
But she puts her finger on my mouth

Chorus
Then she whispered in my ear:
"I love your voice
I want to steal that smile of yours
But at the sea is more to hear
than just some noise
So listen
Listen"

=solo=

Oh, she speaks English with a French accent
But whatever she says, I don't understand
"Je t'aime"! I only wished to shout out loud
But I didn't had the nerves

Chorus
Then she whispered in my ear:
"I love your voice"
And I listened
I listened
"But at the sea is more to hear
than just some noise"
So I listened
I listened

Oh, we had nothing much to say now
Silence can be sweet, I know how
"Je t'aime" I tried to say to her, but
I kept my mouth shut

She went back to Paris that day
"Je t'aime" she smiled and drove away
Maybe one day she will call
I have her picture on my wall
And I listen
I listen
Listen...

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Listen... - 01/27/21 12:37 PM
Hans,

This is excellent.

A very good write. Actually, the fact that English is not your native tongue, it is an amazing write!!

""Je t'aime"! I wished to shout out loud
But she puts her finger on my mouth"

Nice!!

"Then she whispered in my ear:
"I love your voice
I want to steal that smile of yours
But at the sea is more to hear
than just some noise
So listen
Listen""

Nice!!

Your production is your best - ever! Terrific arrangement. Great use of BIAB instruments. The koto is an inspired choice. The entirety of the production keeps the ear happy all the way through.

And a solid mix. Your vocal is (perhaps) your best. And it sits in the mix nicely.

Excellent!!

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Listen... - 01/27/21 09:58 PM
I really liked the restraint in this. You gave some details and allowed for some very effective mystery. And the arrangement and mix were so pleasing to the ear!

Maybe your best yet. Listen...
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Listen... - 01/27/21 09:59 PM
You certainly got me listening, Hans. Lovely song and great production. The Koto really suits the mood - an inspired choice indeed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Listen... - 01/27/21 10:08 PM
Hi Hans,

Very well done. You captured the "French vibe" quite good with your choice of instruments. Nice production!

Thanks for sharing and happy 2021 to you!
Will
Posted By: rayc Re: Listen... - 01/27/21 11:07 PM
SOLID,
pleasant vocal.
There're, from my limited experience, two approaches to saying "Je t'aime" one has a delayed soft ah, "je tem ah" at the end and the other doesn't say any ah as in "je tem". I'm uncertain which is more "romantic".
Either way the song's a cracker . I enjoyed it - the arrangement, the story and your performance.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Listen... - 01/28/21 03:00 AM
such an interesting and beautiful song! Its not often that I hear a song that doesn't instantly remind me of ten others, but this has a very unique and exotic sound to it. I like it a lot. Excellent choice of instruments. and the lyrics say what they must while still leaving a few holes into which my imagination can wander...

Thanks for posting
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Listen... - 01/28/21 06:56 AM
Hi Hans,

that's very beautiful! Nice lyrics, very well-sung and another marvellous backing track. And a superb soud , too !!!.

So French that I immediately lit a Gitanes...

very good, indeed, Hans.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 08:55 AM
Hi Floyd,

I was super proud reading your post!
Thanks for your very nice compliments. Especially those about the lyrics.

I was hesitant to continue making this song;
The theme was a bit 'overaged' on my age, although I liked the idea of conga's, an accordeon combined with a kind of 'House' rhythm and still associate it with France, if you know what I mean.
But on the other hand, I like challenges (in songs).

When do you come to the Netherlands again?
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 09:00 AM
Hello TuneMonger,

Thanks a lot for your comment.
It was nice you mentioned that restraint. It was on purpose, but I had a battle in myself according to it. Normally I want a story to have head and feet while here it stayed in between.
But the 'mystery' was succesful, I understand.

Thanks again,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 09:02 AM
Hi Leon,

Floyd gave me some 'proud' feelings, but your nice comment came close to that.
It's nice to read I got you listening to Listen...

Thanks man,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 09:10 AM
Hello Will,

You said it very nicely in your post. I really appreciate!
I was concerned the variety of instruments would be too much for some, but luckily that doesn't seems the case.

Of course a happy 2021 for you too with lots of new songs, Will!
Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 03:45 PM
"Je t'aime"! I wished to shout out loud
But she puts her finger on my mouth"

floyd beat us to quoting that but it is a tremendous line in a great write.

Listen is a good title because we just did ... three times!

Everything about this is inspired -- the band, your vocal, the mix and
the creative arrangement.

Janice said she could picture the two on a sidewalk at a small French cafe.

The aura of slight mystery throughout is creative and engaging.

Excellent!!!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 04:02 PM
Nice imagery in those words. I like the way you tossed in a few major thirds from time to time in what I was expecting minor thirds. It kept me guessing and wondering.

The Japanese Koto was an interesting opposing point to the french accordion and the french imagery of the lyrics.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 04:16 PM
Beautiful song Hans. Lovely feel to song. Excellent choice of instruments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 09:49 PM
You placed me in a cafe in downtown Paris with this song.

Excellent choice of instrumentation combined with a super groove.

Everything about this one is top shelf, especially since English is not your native language.

This is your best to date IMHO.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Listen... - 01/29/21 10:19 PM
Hans

That was very nice indeed. Excellent mix and choice of band & instruments. Good vocal and lyric.

Enjoyed.

Peter
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Listen... - 01/30/21 10:11 PM
This is a cool song. I like the atmosphere that you created with the rhythms and instrumentation. It's quite inviting, which brings the listener in to your story.

I enjoyed this a lot!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Listen... - 01/30/21 10:26 PM
Hans,

I've been to Paris twice - one in the 70s and once in the 80s. You took me back there again. Thanks for the reminder of those two fabulous experiences. The koto was a big surprise but it works so nicely! I was expecting a mandola or accordion. Nice choice.

The lyric (which is wonderful), combined with the music, leaves the listener with a sense of mystique and romance. And your vocal is wonderful. That was a really nice listen. It is my favorite of all your songs I've heard. Very well, conceived, arranged and executed.

Wishing you the best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Listen... - 01/31/21 05:43 PM
Very cool!! I love the mysterious sound of the music.....fits perfectly with the story of the song!! And the solo is also a perfect addition!! Certainly one of your best, if not your best!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Listen... - 01/31/21 05:45 PM
So many things I enjoyed with this song! Your voice, the choice of instruments, the melodies.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Listen... - 02/01/21 09:04 AM
Your best yet I think, Hans, not only the song but also the production.

Well done!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Listen... - 02/01/21 10:57 AM
Hi, Hans !

This is a superb tune so well performed
and sung and mixed too !
The orchestration is also absolutely
extraordinary super !

Have you been down to Spain ?
I was about to go but then I
didn´t due to the lockdown !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/01/21 05:32 PM
Hi Ray,

I think there is a third approach on saying 'je t'aime'; It was demonstrated in a song from Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg; 'Je t'aime, moi non plus'. That approach was not the one I had in mind, but if I sang it how you wrote it, it could have confused everyone in the forum what I was singing anyway.
Now you will tell me you already have these confusions with my songs, don't you?

But thanks a lot for your compliments. I liked it, like your skills of the french language...
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/01/21 05:37 PM
Hello Pat,

What a nice post you wrote. Thanks for that!
And one of the nice parts was what you wrote about the lyrics. It was my intention to leave room for interpretations on the who, what and why in the story and you did it. Nice!

Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Listen... - 02/01/21 05:41 PM
Very romantic.
If you could put that in a bottle, you could sell it as a fine perfume with powerful a aphrodisiac.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/01/21 05:56 PM
Hi Stefan,

I didn't realize the sound of an accordion makes you smoke bad cigarrettes. Sorry for that!
I only wonder what you would have done if it was a citar?
But thanks a lot for your nice compliments!

Actually the lyrics were not meant to make it a 'French' song. The woman in the story came from Paris to me, in the Netherlands and we wandered near the sea close to my home.
But I can imagine it's more romantic to situate yourself in Paris. I think it's less chilly.

We'll speak again,
Hans
Posted By: musician17 Re: Listen... - 02/02/21 03:53 AM
This is really beautiful! The Koto works well, as does the accordion. What I liked most, though, was the atmosphere you created here. It's as if I was somewhere by the sea, like a "fly on the wall", with both the characters of the story - and see it all unfold. Beautiful, with just a hint of sadness ... well written, well produced, well performed ... what's there more to say than "bravo"? :-)
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Listen... - 02/02/21 03:28 PM
A very engaging story song,Hans- nice close and restrained vocal gives the song an intimate feel and the arrangement fits well.

Robert
Posted By: dcuny Re: Listen... - 02/03/21 01:04 AM
Excellent!

Well done vocally and musically.

But more importantly, it did a really good job of transporting me into the story.

smile
Posted By: rayc Re: Listen... - 02/03/21 06:37 PM
It's a cool song.
You'll find the Bardot version is closer to your pronunciation than the Birkin - but Jane was a Pom and Bridget Gallic so, probably, the more accurate use should be handed to BB.

I wonder how the pronunciation has morphed in the 45 or so years since.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Listen... - 02/03/21 06:57 PM
Hans, This is excellent! The instrument choices are inspired. Great vocal and some fine lyrics. It certainly reminded me of my travels through France. It is a great listen, Tom
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/04/21 05:54 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Thanks so much for your nice reply on my song!
Floyd did quote those lines, but I liked it you felt the same fibe in them.
I can understand Janice picture herself in one or two french cafe's, but I have to dissapoint her;
She left France to visit me and I live in the Netherlands and it was close to the sea. Actually it was Zandvoort, close to Haarlem (look it up on Google Maps). Not as romantic as Paris, though ...

But for me it doesn't matter what you fantasize as long as the song does something to you and that was the case!
Nice day,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/04/21 06:07 PM
Hi Guitarhacker, Scott, Mario

Guitarhacker: I like it when listeners fantasize about the lyrics or the atmosphere the song evokes.
and you wrote that process in a nice way.
Thanks!

Scott: That is a nice compliment you made. Appreciate that!

Mario: See what I wrote to Janice about that cafe, but I liked it that an accordion does this.
I thought I got her from Paris to me (and back unfortunately). But who cares!
I was thinking about your compliments about my English in the lyrics. It sounded as a big compliment, still I wondered if and what kind of mistakes I made. would you mind telling me?

Thank you all,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/04/21 06:36 PM
Hello Peter, Ezekiel, Alan and Greg,

Thanks for your nice words. I enjoyed reading them. It gave me a special feeling maybe it is a good song after all...
I bought me a new microphone, a Neumann U87 AI (man, they are not cheap!) and this was the first song recorded with it. It was a complete different experience! And your compliments underline the correctness of my decision to buy it.

Peter, I'm glad you enjoyed Listen. When searching for inspiration for a new song I had some Blues in mind, but while experimenting with some BIAB styles, I got stuck to some tune that eventually became Listen. So nice to see how these things go. You recognize these situations?

Ezekiel, More people talked about the sphere/ atmosphere this song evokes. I hadn't expected that when making it. I had my doubts about the story, the kind of chorusses and also that Koto. There were some parts that were really out of tune and I had to cut them. But all the time I came back to my first thoughts on this song. I'm glad I listened to myself...

Alan, so nice words you wrote! Because of your precious memories I don't dare to repeat what I wrote to Janice and Bud and Mario. The Koto was a bit unexpected, but I never intended to use a mandolin or whatsoever on the solopart. It had to be something exotic. And the sound was just right in the sphere of this song. Just what you said. I hope it will not stay my best song though!

Greg, Thanks for your description of the sphere it gave and what you said about the Koto. As I wrote to Alan, I hope it won't stay my best song. I take your words as a challenge, okay?

All the best for you,
Hans
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Listen... - 02/05/21 10:58 AM
Ah, such a fine song, Birchwood. An international band with a universal soul. A very enjoyable listen indeed.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Listen... - 02/06/21 12:24 AM
Hans,

Yeah, I like this one. Really strong production and a write that conveys an emotion deeper than the words themselves. Haunting in its way. Love that accordion. Great story—cool tune.

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: Derochette Re: Listen... - 02/08/21 12:38 PM
Hi Birchwood,

ery beautiful romantic composition. The atmosphere of a promenade by the sea is well reproduced by the instruments chosen. The accordion and the koto have all their charm. It's very pleasant to listen to.

Kindly regard
Take care of yourself

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/09/21 08:04 AM
Hello Alexander, Dave, Dani and CaptainMoto,

Thank you all for your comments on Listen. And thanks for waiting for my reply. Took too long.
I have only one excuse; we're in the middle of a snowstorm (first time in ten years) and I was a bit dissapointed by this event. I was promissed a climatechange (tropics) and not this. I froze...

Originally Posted By: Alexander Paul
So many things I enjoyed with this song! Your voice, the choice of instruments, the melodies.

Alexander: thanks for mentioning everything in the song. I thought the song was -maybe- a bit dull, but looking at the reactions it wasn't.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Your best yet I think, Hans, not only the song but also the production.
Well done!

Dave: I'm sure it isn't my best song. That has to come yet, don't you think? But thanks for this huge compliment from you!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Hans !
This is a superb tune so well performed
and sung and mixed too !
The orchestration is also absolutely
extraordinary super !

Have you been down to Spain ?
I was about to go but then I
didn´t due to the lockdown !

Cheers
Dani

Dani: Well thanks Dani, nice to read these words from you. No I haven't been to Spain, but to Mexico. My son has a relation with a Mexican girl, and we had to visit her family. It's getting serious I think. but the Corona meassures makes it a challenge (my wife hopes). I made some songs about Mexico and my son. You can hear how it began and devellopd till now ;-)
More serious; Mexico was nice and there was no real lock down. And we didn't get infected after all!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Very romantic.
If you could put that in a bottle, you could sell it as a fine perfume with powerful a aphrodisiac.

Captain: You are a true romantic, Captain. What nice words! Even my wife was impressed...

Stay safe you all,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/09/21 08:49 AM
Hi Musician, Robert, David and Ray,

Thanks for your nice posts and words. And sory for the delay in my replies to them. As I said in a post earlier I was frozen, because we are facing an icy cold period right now. That frozen me...

Originally Posted By: musician17
This is really beautiful! The Koto works well, as does the accordion. What I liked most, though, was the atmosphere you created here. It's as if I was somewhere by the sea, like a "fly on the wall", with both the characters of the story - and see it all unfold. Beautiful, with just a hint of sadness ... well written, well produced, well performed ... what's there more to say than "bravo"? :-)

Musician: I am very happy that you liked it and especially the image you got of it. And that sea was near to where I live (not pleasant at the moment). But I like how you describe that: 'a fly on the wall'. Very nice indeed!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
A very engaging story song,Hans- nice close and restrained vocal gives the song an intimate feel and the arrangement fits well.

Robert: It was a bit of a guess to use conga's, a Koto and an accordion together, but it turned out well and I like it a lot to read you enjoyed it, thanks!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Excellent!
Well done vocally and musically.
But more importantly, it did a really good job of transporting me into the story.
smile

David: What nice of you to write this! And I am delighted to read you have 'entered' this story and made it yours...

Ray: I couldn't import your reply here. I think it's because of video's of Jane and Brigit. But I think you are misled by those two women (UK and French). They had another pronouncation, but mine is more sexier with my dark voice and Dutch accent...
The moment I wrote 'je t'aime' I had to think of that song. That's not why I used it, but it was a nice 'bridge'. And see where it leads to; your videos and discussion on how to pronounce those words. I think I was the best, don't you agree?

Thanks everyone and for those who have not yet been vaccinated,
stay safe!
Hans
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Listen... - 02/09/21 11:44 PM
Ahhh...sweet holiday love. Fantastic lyric and a really nice, lilting band, hazy as memory. Very much enjoyed.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Listen... - 02/12/21 07:36 AM
Hello Tommy, Marty, Deej, Derochette and Tangmo,

Thanks for your nice comments on this song. I appreciate you did.
I will make some remarkt to you individually below:

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Hans, This is excellent! The instrument choices are inspired. Great vocal and some fine lyrics. It certainly reminded me of my travels through France. It is a great listen, Tom

Tommy: Thanks for all this, but what nice it brought you back to your time in France! It's only the girl who came from there to 'me' in the Netherlands and the shore, but that spoils your feeling I suppose. So we keep it in France then. I love that country too.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Ah, such a fine song, Birchwood. An international band with a universal soul. A very enjoyable listen indeed.

Marty: your remarks are almost philosophical. Thanks for that, but it lays the bar high for my next song...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Hans,
Yeah, I like this one. Really strong production and a write that conveys an emotion deeper than the words themselves. Haunting in its way. Love that accordion. Great story—cool tune.
All my best, Deej

Deej: well, your words sound cool, Deej! Like I wrote to Marty about that bar... But maybe something simple for a change won't hurt (I protect myself from future criticism of course)

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Birchwood,
Very beautiful romantic composition. The atmosphere of a promenade by the sea is well reproduced by the instruments chosen. The accordion and the koto have all their charm. It's very pleasant to listen to.
Kindly regard
Take care of yourself

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Jani Derochette: I am always curious about all your aliases, but beside that, you painted it nicely! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Ahhh...sweet holiday love. Fantastic lyric and a really nice, lilting band, hazy as memory. Very much enjoyed.

Tangmo: I liked that "ahhh". what's behind it. A nice story? Thanks man.

Have a nice day, you all,
Hans

Posted By: vicarn Re: Listen... - 02/12/21 11:37 AM
You had my ears, Hans.
Very fresh and interesting lyric and arrangement.

Vic
© PG Music Forums