PG Music Home
Hi all,
I'm very lucky to collaborate with David Lekich (Deej56).
He writes marvelous lyrics and he's an incredible singer !
Here's our last song :
https://soundcloud.com/christian-devienne/when-the-world-was-young

The shade of sunlight in my eyes;
the days of by and by.
The endless rolling hills
and flowing fields of daffodils
a blue and brilliant sky.

The taste of summer in the sun;
sweet cherries on my tongue.
The breeze in harmony
with melodies we sung
when the world was young.

A pretty face; a pretty laugh
a photograph in time.
Another place, some other past
that we left far behind.

I knew the stars would always shine
as long as you were mine.
And all these memories
so sweet within my mind
reflected in your eyes.

So now be still our autumn sky.
Know in this last goodbye
whatever’s meant to be
I’ll go there with you happily
and ever by your side.

So, love, the end has just begun
Beyond this ancient sun
we’ll ever walk the fields from
which our love had sprung
when the world was young.

RD NashBrushBalDbKev16^3
RT 3121 Acoustic Bass
RT 365 Acoustic Guitar
RT 1118 12-String Acoustic Guitar
RT 1757 Accordion
RT 1766 Mandolin
RT 624 Fiddle
RT 2008 Fiddle
Good job! A beautiful, melancholy song. Deej is his usual, unique, distinctive self in singing this ... the lyrics are beautiful and so is the music, however melancholic. More, please :-)
First, excellent title!

A very '60s sort of sound - and the lyrics say "daffodil", too!

The instrumentation and vocals are perfect.

Cool fiddle break, and the mandolin backing is great. You even snuck in a bit of accordion.

I like the write - nice inner rhymes.

You nailed the genre here. laugh
James and David,

Thanks so much the listen and encouraging feedback. It's always a fun and creative challenge to try to put words to Christian's wonderful musical compositions. I hope I've done this latest some justice.

And, David, I'll admit I never would have thought I'd use the word "daffodils" in any lyric I'd write . . . but there you go, LOL.

Stay well, both of you!

Deej
WOW this is fantastic. Super vocal and great backing tracks, excellent choice in instrumentation. Those fiddle leads were great and the mix was super. Those lyrics were outstanding!

Excellent song!
Excellent collaboration. Great lyrics, vocal and arrangement. A song to float away on.
Regards,
Leon
A good write.

One of you very best vocals, Deej. Comfortable.

Good mix.
Chris and Deej, This has the folky vibe that fit the lyrics like a glove. The vocal performance is excellent. Sounds great, Tom
Chris and Deej ...

This is one heckuva song! beautiful lyrics and the backing tracks are so perfect. The prosody is second to none. To my ears, I'm thinking gypsy folk. Excellent everything here. And Deej, your vocal is exquisite! This is one of my very favorite songs I've listened to on the forum over the past few days. Excellent!!!!

Best to both of you. Take care ...

Alan
Chris another of your classic/classical arrangements and melodies.
Deej, wonderful vocal and sweet lyrics...I do wish you'd have written

with melodies we'd sung

rather than

with melodies we sung
but that's me REALLY nitpicking.

Terrific song.
A pretty folk song, well written and performed.
To nit pick, I imagined a bridge or key change to give it a new depth but that's probably just me.

Good one.

Vic
Hi Chris37 an Deej56,

It is a very moving composition that you offer us. The arrangement is perfect on well-written sung lyrics. The accordion and the violin are very well integrated and well balanced in terms of the mix. Nice work of composition and nice collaboration.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Mario, Leon, Floyd, Tommy, Alan, rayc, Vic, and Derochette:

Thanks all for stopping in and giving this a spin. Appreciate the kind comments all!

rayc: Ha, I was wondering if anyone would call me out on that little bit. I really did debate going with “we’d sung”. But I just didn’t like the sound of the “d” in that phrase. Its absence leaves the line grammatically incorrect, but with it, the line didn’t sing as smooth (probably just a me thing, though). I was curious how many would pick it up, and figured if it really stood out, it was any easy fix to dub over it.

Vic: An interesting idea. Christian’s melody does change thing up a bit between verses to give a slightly different feel to them—and I tried to accentuate that with the rhyme scheme. A subtle shift perhaps, but hopefully enough to keep the ear engaged. Thanks for the thought.

My best to all of you,

Deej
Chris & Deej,
I like this gentler side to your music- heck, you can sing anything,Deej, but this simple 60`s flavoured ballad brings out a nice resonance in your voice.
The those-were-the-days lyrics, uplifting melody and tasteful instrumentation round out a very good song.

Robert
Robert,

Thanks for the listen. It's a lot of fun to take on something a bit differently vocally, and the last two songs with Christian have, in particular, been that. Glad it all worked for you.

Best regards,

Deej
Thank you all for your kind comments. Christian
YES! A wonderful collaboration. I, too, really like David's lyrics and voice. Good song and production. Great choice of instruments, too. You guys are a great team, Chris & Deej.
Excellent guys.

The nice laid back vocal works well with the band and has the
expected and appreciated Deej passion.

The band is outstanding. Mixing drums with all acoustic tracks
is not always easy to do. This is excellent.

And a fine write.

Well done y'all!

J&B
Chris & Deej

Lovely work, pretty song, well sung, well composed and produced.

Excellent collaboration.

Peter
Love the poetry. Nice idea for a write. Always love Deej's vocal interpataion.
Quite nostalgic to say the least.
Well done.

A very present vocal presentation make it rather compelling.
Excellent work all the way around! Some things I particularly liked: the arrangement kept the focus on the singer in the lyric. The lyric is expertly engineered… Does not ask additional, unnecessary melody notes to be inserted in order to form rhyming phrases. Production wise, it’s top-notch. The only suggestion I would have is perhaps a slight modulation in the last sequence, just to give it a little more dynamism. But I love it just as it is!
Marty, J&B, Belladonna, Capt'n, and Tano:

Thanks so much for the listen and kind words . . , always a pleasure to work with Christian and more so when the result seems to work. Appreciate the feedback a bunch!

All my best,

Deej
Very heart-warming story, tasty lyrics with many cherries. Nicely flowing folk melody, I really like the "a photograph in time" part. Really beautiful and original sounding chord progression. I enjoyed the soft instrumentation, the accordion fits perfectly. David's interpretation has the right amount of emotion.

Janne
Hi Chris37,
Hi Deej56,

It is a very nice melancolic composition . The lyrics, the voice and the arrangement are well done. I appreciated the introduction of violin and accordion in the accompaniment. I enjoyed it.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Interesting and pleasant use of the fiddle in the intro lead to the delivery of a beautiful melody, encapsulated with very pleasant lyric.

Great presentation. Very nice indeed.
Thank you for your comments.
This song would not exist without Deej's talent not only for his capacity to write good lyrics but also because he's the best singer
with whom I've had the pleasure to collaborate.
Thanks to him. Christian
© PG Music Forums