PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 02:33 AM
Sparkle Drops

Back in the fall of 2020, we had a warm, rainy day her in Northern Alabama. Suddenly, the sun appeared as the rain continued to fall. DI and I looked at each as the sunlight turned the raindrops into a tapestry of colors. Almost in unison, we both said, "Sparkle Drops!". Thus, the song title. A couple of young children, across the street from us, were running around in the rain, laughing and squealing. That just made it more special.

A very brief summary of my thought processes as I put this together: It's probably noticeable, almost immediately, that the lead guitar isn't much louder, if at all, than the backing tracks. That was intentional. The left backing guitar track represents the raindrops falling; the right backing guitar represents the aura of such an event - sun shining as it rained. The lead guitar is supposed to recall the thrill of children playing in the falling rain. I thought those various factors were equally important, thus I didn't want any particular one of them standing out more prominently than the other tracks. Thus, I mixed the lead guitar to blend with the other tracks, rather than stand out from them appreciably. I hoped to catch the magic of the total event in balance.

One note: the extremely high guitar note you hear around the 2:13 mark is indigenous to the track, rather than an a recording artifact. No matter how many times you regenerate the RT, that will show up somewhere in the song. I'm guessing it was recorded from the artist's performance for the track. It also shows up earlier in the track, but not as noticeably.

One question: Are the drums necessary? I've debated that over and over. Still not sure.

I'm guessing the genre to be something like Ambient Cinematic Pop?????? Hope you enjoy!

File:Sparkle Drops.SGU

Key=E , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=3:11

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _SCREENS.STY (Screens Cinematic Soloist)

RealTracks in style: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 3624:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CinematicPopArpDelay Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 3626:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CinematicPopArpHiDelay Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 3631:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CinematicPopGrittyDarin Ev16 065
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleRadioFunkyBallad16^1-a,b:Snare, HiHat
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 03:41 AM
A delightful story with an equally delightful band.
Love the lead guitar.
Could easily see this as some sort of movie backing track.
Well done my friend. Rob4580
Posted By: dcuny Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 04:09 AM
Nice! I enjoyed the backstory as well.

Yes, drums are necessary. wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 07:58 AM
Sounds great to me, Alan,

I would say that lead guitar is sitting in the mix right where it should be. I think the high note at 2:13 is a harmonic? That's what it sounds like to me anyway. You could tame it a bit with a volume envelope on that track in your DAW I suppose, but I don't think it sounds bad.

Yeah, I would leave the drums I think.

Good instrumental, went well with my first coffee of the day smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 12:58 PM
Alan,

I continue to be AMAZED at your ability to make BIAB instrumentals sound SO good. The lead sounds so well THOUGHT OUT.

A real delight to hear.

Excellent mix (drums sound good). Lead perfectly placed.

SOLID.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 05:47 PM
"I'm guessing the genre to be something like Ambient Cinematic Pop??????"

We think that pretty much nailed the genre.

It sounds fine to us as ... I suggest staying with the drums.

We enjoyed the read of the post and the plays of the tune!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 06:05 PM
Yeah, I can see them now!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 09:44 PM
Hi Alan,

That is a very nice track in a style I like a lot. Very well-done!

Oh, and if you ask me I think the track would have been as good (if not better) without the drums. But it is difficult to say before actually hearing a version without drums. smile

Will
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/15/21 10:56 PM
Loved it! It takes a sensible mind to put ensemble all that thought. Yes, although as a drummer I am bias I think that the drums tie the whole tune together. Keep it.

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/16/21 10:42 AM
Hi Al-David,

Beautiful atmosphere created, the arrangement is superb and the mix well balanced. It's very pleasant to listen to. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: vicarn Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/16/21 02:09 PM
Hi Al.
I like the general sound of this. My first thought was to introduce the "children" gradually (maybe after the first few bars) and then fade them out and in as if they are running in and out of earshot.
Just an idea.

Drums in I think.

Vic
Posted By: musician17 Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/16/21 03:07 PM
Superb. Yes, keep the drums :-) They, to my ears at least, drive the track forward.

Loved it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/16/21 03:45 PM
Cool intro Alan. Guitar was excellent. Well done
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/17/21 02:44 AM
Enjoyed your explanation of what you set out to achieve, Alan and you sure did a wonderful job of realising your vision. Amazing how you bend BIAB to your will.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/17/21 10:59 AM
Love your explanations, Alan. Really cool how the song developed. Man, after that description it is easy to see the kids dancing in the colorful rain. You paint pictures here. Love that guitar, and can't say it's lost in the mix. That high note is just another sparkle. Yes, keep the drums. Very well done!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/17/21 09:53 PM
Another great instrumental Alan!! This could be in a movie soundtrack.....just has such a pleasant groove!! I think the drums definitely help the track. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/17/21 10:36 PM
As I've said before, you always have the best titles.

I am in the keep the drums camp.

Fine production for balance and placement. Composition-wise, you keep everything moving forward.

Nice work!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/18/21 02:06 PM
Al,
A cool inspiration for another superb showcase for how good the software is in capable hands.
The balance sounds right to me.
Instrumentals can conjure so much - you are quite the magician!

Robert
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/19/21 10:55 AM
love this most excellent!!! love the phrasing awesome mix so well done Alan thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/21/21 06:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
A delightful story with an equally delightful band.
Love the lead guitar.
Could easily see this as some sort of movie backing track.
Well done my friend. Rob4580

T<hanks, Rob! Glad this gave you the intended image. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/21/21 06:19 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice! I enjoyed the backstory as well.

Yes, drums are necessary. wink

HI David ...

Thanks for the nice comments. G lad you liked the song. And thanks for the opinion on the drums. I tend to agree with you. They'll stay. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/21/21 06:45 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds great to me, Alan,

I would say that lead guitar is sitting in the mix right where it should be. I think the high note at 2:13 is a harmonic? That's what it sounds like to me anyway. You could tame it a bit with a volume envelope on that track in your DAW I suppose, but I don't think it sounds bad.

Yeah, I would leave the drums I think.

Good instrumental, went well with my first coffee of the day smile

Hello Dave ...

Glad ya liked it! And yes, the note is a harmonic. I don't use a DAW. All my recordings are straight from the chord input page in BIAB to Audacity ... then to Soundcloud for posting. I'm totally clueless with DAWs. Tried two and was brain-battered for a week!. They all assume the user has a at least a very basic knowledge of recording but I do not. They use common descriptive names of the process that they assume you will understand in their use instructions. So far, not a single person has explained to me what a Buss or an Envelope (in musical terms) such that have even the faintest clue what it n means. After reading their explanations multiple, I'm still wanting to transport passengers in a big multi-passenger vehicle to some destination and to mail something - yep, buss and envelope working together!!! I'm solely a guitar player who know you can record something with a working microphone a device for sound capture. Everything else after that is what my ears tell me. and I might know from experience or a remembered conversation from somebody somewhere.

I work whatever magic I can with the indigenous tools the chord input sheet offers me. So far, that's been adequate. Believe me, there's a bunch of stuff going on behind that chord input sheet! It's much like my mixing - three steps inferior to Neanderthal. But, so fare, I've managed. But, I do wonder, on occasion, if my music would sound better if I learned how to use a legitimate DAW.

Thanks again. Sorry to rattle on endlessly. Take care, my friend.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/21/21 06:50 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

I continue to be AMAZED at your ability to make BIAB instrumentals sound SO good. The lead sounds so well THOUGHT OUT.

A real delight to hear.

Excellent mix (drums sound good). Lead perfectly placed.

SOLID.

fj

Many thanks, Floyd.

I truly appreciate your support and perpetual kindness. I'll accept some credit for the thought process and basic arrangement. But after that, it's mostly DR. Gannon's software that works the magic. I just toss it a bone and the fabulous software chew on it until it's done. Seriously, this is one of the easiest compositions I've done in a month or two - just fell together. I'm gonna post something totally different in a day or two.

Take care, my friend.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/21/21 06:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I'm guessing the genre to be something like Ambient Cinematic Pop??????"

We think that pretty much nailed the genre.

It sounds fine to us as ... I suggest staying with the drums.

We enjoyed the read of the post and the plays of the tune!

J&B

Ah ... my two favorite people from Georgia! The genre just fell into place. The process of assembling this one was pretty much self-driving. I just picked out a few instruments I thought might work, scribble in a few chords and then let the might BIAB monster take it from there. Sometimes it treats me good and spits out a pretty nice piece. No complaints on the spit with this one1

Glad you liked it. I always appreciate your comments. Many thanks!

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/21/21 09:36 AM
The drums are just right. You have a great ability to write interesting chord charts and then find the right real tracks to complete the vision. The lead guitar sounds like it was played just for this piece. Excellent work, Tom
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:15 AM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Yeah, I can see them now!

Thanks Ed! I appreciate it as lot. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Alan,

That is a very nice track in a style I like a lot. Very well-done!

Oh, and if you ask me I think the track would have been as good (if not better) without the drums. But it is difficult to say before actually hearing a version without drums. smile

Will

Hi Will ...

Glad you enjoyed your listen. I think I'll keep the drums for now, at least. Thanks for the nice comments ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:17 AM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Loved it! It takes a sensible mind to put ensemble all that thought. Yes, although as a drummer I am bias I think that the drums tie the whole tune together. Keep it.

Cheers

Mike B.

HI Mike ...

Always nice to hear from you. Thank you for the nice words. I'm gonna keep the drums! Best to you. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Al-David,

Beautiful atmosphere created, the arrangement is superb and the mix well balanced. It's very pleasant to listen to. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Hello Derochette ...

Thank you very much! I'm glad you found it to be a good listen. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:19 AM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Al.
I like the general sound of this. My first thought was to introduce the "children" gradually (maybe after the first few bars) and then fade them out and in as if they are running in and out of earshot.
Just an idea.

Drums in I think.

Vic

HI Vic ...

I do like your thought about introduce the children gradually. If I remix this, I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion and nice comments. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Superb. Yes, keep the drums :-) They, to my ears at least, drive the track forward.

Loved it.

Hello James ...

I always enjoy your comments. And yes, I'll be keeping the drums. So glad you loved it! Best to you. Take care ...
Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool intro Alan. Guitar was excellent. Well done

Hi Scott ...

Thanks for your time to listen and comment so nicely. Wishing you the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Enjoyed your explanation of what you set out to achieve, Alan and you sure did a wonderful job of realising your vision. Amazing how you bend BIAB to your will.
Regards,
Leon

Hi Leon ...

So nice to get a comment from you ... and thanks for the very nice words. I appreciate them very much. Best to you. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:23 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Love your explanations, Alan. Really cool how the song developed. Man, after that description it is easy to see the kids dancing in the colorful rain. You paint pictures here. Love that guitar, and can't say it's lost in the mix. That high note is just another sparkle. Yes, keep the drums. Very well done!!

Hey Marty ...

Thanks so much for listening anbd the really nice comments you left. I appreciate all that! Wishinbg you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another great instrumental Alan!! This could be in a movie soundtrack.....just has such a pleasant groove!! I think the drums definitely help the track. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg ...

Hope all is well in your part of California. We had a very cold few days here in Alabama ... and a couple of inches of snow! Thank you for the very nice comments. I always appreciate your input. Wishing you everything good. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
As I've said before, you always have the best titles.

I am in the keep the drums camp.

Fine production for balance and placement. Composition-wise, you keep everything moving forward.

Nice work!

Hi Ez ...

Many thanks for the listen and nice comments. And yes, I'm keeping the drums. Best to you. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
A cool inspiration for another superb showcase for how good the software is in capable hands.
The balance sounds right to me.
Instrumentals can conjure so much - you are quite the magician!

Robert

Hello Robert ...

Many thanks for your very nice comments. I'm not sure I'm a good magician at anything other than spending too much money on music-oriented stuff! I appreciate your support very much. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:28 AM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
love this most excellent!!! love the phrasing awesome mix so well done Alan thanks for sharing Eric

Hello Eric ...

I appreciate all those nice words ... many thanks! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 06:31 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
The drums are just right. You have a great ability to write interesting chord charts and then find the right real tracks to complete the vision. The lead guitar sounds like it was played just for this piece. Excellent work, Tom

Hi Tom ...

You are much too nice! The chords & progressions come pretty easy. Selecting the right tracks is but a matter of spending the time to do a lot of listening and making choices. Perhaps I have a decent ear for track selection. I hope so! I appreciate your kind words. Wishing you the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 01:16 PM
I love that story!!

Very joyful expression.
So cool to be able to paint a picture with music.

Excellent.

moto
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Sparkle Drops - 02/22/21 05:14 PM
Hello Alan,

At first, I liked the story how you and Di came to the title of the song.
I love how observations leads to something like that or to a melody itself.
And speaking about the melody, I can agree with -I think it was- Floyd about how amazing it is how you can make instrumentals sounds so beautiful and entertaining.

And I had to smile about what you wrote to Dave(?) about you and Daws. So recognizable. You don't want to know what kind of words I used about them, all those plugin's and whatever more ("ten ways to impove your vocals" on YouTube). Horrible.
But I tried and tried, because how my music sounded in my head wasn't exactly how it did in real. So there was a long way to go and still is to make that gap smaller.

But enough of that, I enjoyed the story and -even more- the song itself. I could almost see those raindrops in all colours...

Hans
© PG Music Forums