PG Music Home
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Clown Show - 02/16/21 07:30 PM
Clown Show

This was going to be an acoustic singer-songwriter type production but then morphed into something else when I started putzing around. The basis for the production is the BROOK style with virtual instrumentation added.

The Wrecking Crew II:
RealPiano 1277 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopUpliftA-B
RealGuitar 3632 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DublinPopArp
RealStrings 3634 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DublinPop2note
RealBass 1268 Bass, Electric, PopUplift
RealDrums-PraiseWorshipUptempo
RC3729 Guitar, Electric, Soloist GrungePopGritty
Symphonic Elements Striiiings
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Virtual Guitarist Amber

Lyrics:
You bought your ticket to a clown show
But no one was laughing
You thought everybody’d go
All were left gasping

The big tent
The grand illusion
Satan’s poisoned breath
Feeds your delusion

But no one was laughing
All were left gasping

Clown conjures
Forgotten haints
The Lord sees beneath
The shade of your grease paint

But no one was laughing
All were left gasping

Trying to ride to paradise
in a hell-bent rocket
Brown shirt, red nose,
And a pillowcase in your pocket

But no one was laughing
All were left gasping
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Clown Show - 02/16/21 08:06 PM
"but then morphed into something else when I started putzing"

Great tune E-S.
Every thing is working well here. Great vocal and production.
Really enjoyed my listen.
Rob4580
Posted By: dcuny Re: Clown Show - 02/16/21 08:39 PM
I like the write and the song, and the vocal and guitar energy have good energy.

The arrangement is also good.

Also, nice harmonies! smile

But... the mix seems off. The drums lack mid-punchiness, the bass is louder than anything else, the band instruments sounds like they're in another room, and the high-energy vocals and guitar don't match the balance of the rest of the band.

There are clicks at 0:57, 0:57, 1:04, 1:06, 2:00 and 2:06. I'm not sure if they are intentional, but they sound like artifacts of some sort.

I don't think this is a tough fix - the instruments themselves sound good, as do the vocals. I think another round of balancing the track will have it rocking like it should. laugh
Posted By: Scott C Re: Clown Show - 02/16/21 10:59 PM
Excellent tune. Super vocal and lyric. Really liked the instrument selection and chord progressions. Well done
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Clown Show - 02/17/21 02:24 AM
Nice lyrics, Scott. I particularly liked this stanza:

Trying to ride to paradise
in a hell-bent rocket
Brown shirt, red nose,
And a pillowcase in your pocket

And of course your usual excellent vocal. Enjoyed the listen.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Clown Show - 02/17/21 11:31 AM
Well, I love the morph version for sure, Ezekiel. Quite a wonderful production. Catchy melody, engaging vocal, and amusing lyrics. Those strings were worked in perfectly. You make excellent choices when putzing around.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Clown Show - 02/17/21 05:03 PM
A clever song idea you carry through well ( I like that third verse too!).
The production is quite ambitious and makes good use of those Dublin guitar RT`s- the strings fit which isn`t easy to achieve.
Your vocals, as always, have great tone and energy.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Clown Show - 02/17/21 05:52 PM
Scott,
Pretty cool write! I am not sure if it would have the drive it has if done all acoustically. A lot of interesting elements, especially symphonic stuff. Sharp lyrics. This tune reminded me of late Radiohead music. Like everything about it, with only one suggestion. I thought vocals are a little dry compared to the rest of the mix. Maybe I am hallucinating. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Clown Show - 02/17/21 06:53 PM
It's an interesting read, Ezekiel.
Not sure I know what it's about but I like the write.

Vic
Posted By: MarioD Re: Clown Show - 02/17/21 09:17 PM
Good song with an excellent vocal. Like David I think the bass is too loud and IHMO a little muddy. I liked everything else about this. With a little polish this would be a gem.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Clown Show - 02/19/21 01:37 PM
As we have oft stated we are fans of connect your own dots lyrics.

When they are well done like this we never feel lost regarding the story; rather, we just make up our own as the song progresses.

And rich imagery like this makes that brief journey all the more interesting.

We always like your soulful emotive vocals and you wrapped them in a nice mix with a very impressive band.

That's a fair number of tracks to have this open feel that sounds really nice on our monitors.

Cool SC photo also.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Clown Show - 02/19/21 07:36 PM
Cool song!! You've captured a great feel here.....love the orchestral elements!! This is quite theatrical, which really appeals to me! Guitar solo fits perfectly! Nice work!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Clown Show - 02/20/21 09:23 AM
Different! And different is good.

I like how you have the strings mixed in. Nice change in mood at 2:50, that would be the Iron VG I'm guessing? Solo works too.

Cool song, Scott, enjoyed!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Clown Show - 02/20/21 09:33 AM
Ezekiel, I think all of my feedback has already been covered by my forum friends. It’s an interesting, mysterious, suggestive song, and I liked the musical design of it. Thanks for posting!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Clown Show - 02/20/21 06:20 PM
Scott

As expected an excellent vocal and a very interesting backing, especially those strings.

Nice development and change near the end.

Very good song.

Peter
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Clown Show - 02/20/21 06:38 PM
I also reacted to the same clicks (or whatever they are) as dcuny. Otherwise I really like your voice and the lyrics!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Clown Show - 02/21/21 04:13 PM
I think I've seen this show!

Very good write.
Well performed.

moto
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Clown Show - 02/25/21 10:11 PM
Thank you all kindly for the comments and feedback. I need to find those clicks. I suspect they're on some individual instrument tracks because I've come across that before. The problem is with my poor hearing, I need to locate the clicks.

Captain Moto: Yes, you've seen this show.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Clown Show - 02/26/21 01:42 PM
Scott, There is a lot of interesting elements here. It doesn’t sound in the least cluttered. I liked the strings. I like the open ended write. Well sung and a terrific arrangement. Enjoyed,Tom
Posted By: edshaw Re: Clown Show - 02/26/21 01:55 PM
Sounds good to me, Scott.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Clown Show - 02/27/21 12:33 AM
I like your style. Cool lyrics and outstanding vocal delivery. The band has the tune down at, especially stings. I like it.
Posted By: rayc Re: Clown Show - 02/27/21 01:13 AM
A good, solid vocal that doesn't sound over processed. The strings work really well.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Clown Show - 02/27/21 06:20 PM
Hi Ezekiel's Storm,

Composition well done. Lyrics well written and to think about. The lines of the symphonic orchestration reinforce the strong moments of your competition and it is harmonious. Well done

kindly regard

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Clown Show - 02/28/21 09:23 PM
Very good Scott! Your work with the synth stuff really caught my attention! Love the melodic intrigue and chord structure! You always deliver excellent work with your vocals! T
© PG Music Forums