PG Music Home
Posted By: Ghostgum Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/21/21 07:56 AM
Cool Nights In Chicago

Jazz instrumental.

BIAB STYLE: J085_AS Night Jazz Ballad Quartet Misc.

Piano: 487 Piano Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad
Guitar: 555 Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad Freddie Sw 085
Bass: 481 Acoustic Jazz Ballad Sw 085
Drums: RealDrums=Jazz Brushes Swirling
Sax: Alto Jazz Ballad

Lead Guitar: Epiphone LP100 + Fender Mustang LT50 amp.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and Reaper DAW.
Mixed and edited with Audacity.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/21/21 01:32 PM
Very nice listen. Guitar sounds great. Very cool tone.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/21/21 10:24 PM
Cool?
It's damn cold here!
This song has a warming effect though!

Nice.

moto
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/21/21 10:37 PM
Being from Chicago -- the title immediately caught my attention -- the music reminder me of the grea piano bars that used to be in the city. You did a really nice job on this. I am not a Jazz fan but I listened to this song 2x's. Nice job.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/21/21 11:04 PM
I guess I was thinking more like October than February (but thanks for the weather report) wink
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/21/21 11:06 PM
Glad to hear you found the title was appropriate. At one point it was going to be Cool Night in Clacton-On-Sea.
Posted By: bluage Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/22/21 02:20 AM
Your electric guitar performance takes the lead in this instrumental composition like William Holden took Kim Novak's hand as they danced to the tune of 'Moonglow' in the melodramatic 1955 film, Picnic. Your playing style is spare, yet sweet, which leaves plenty of room for the Real Track accompaniments to shine. Also, it was nice to hear the gradual reduction in tempo at the outro as it added a touch of musical drama to the ending. All in all, it's tuneful, mellow listening experience that warms the heart even as it cools the night in Chicago... smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/22/21 05:23 AM
Nice!

Good mix, good arrangement. Laid back and mellow playing.

I liked the melody, and your guitar playing! Tasteful use of bends. laugh
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/22/21 05:32 AM
Thanks for the positive comments, Bluage. Been strumming and playing fingerstyle on acoustics for years but only went 'electric' in May last year. Lead guitar is still very new to me and quite a challenge!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/22/21 12:15 PM
Excellent!

Sounds as though you and that sax guy have been playing
together for a while smile Really nice band sound indeed.

Well arranged and mixed also.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/22/21 10:00 PM
Cool and mellow tune, Brian. Enjoyed your guitar work - nothing flashy, just good taste and tone.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/22/21 10:57 PM
Oh, that was a nice listen. I liked your stylish arrangement of this track. Very well done!

Will
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/25/21 10:27 PM
Soothing and pleasant. Masterful guitar work. You sound like you're part of the band.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/25/21 10:41 PM
Thanks, E.S. "Sounding like part of the band" is something I aspire to (but don't always manage to pull it off!).
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/26/21 10:10 AM
Oh, so much warmth in this cool night song. Excellent write, and perfect choice of instruments. Your guitar sings so well. Very tasteful.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/26/21 12:23 PM
Nicely restrained guitar playing. The sax is perfect. Nicely arranged with an easy to follow recurring melody. I liked it, Tom
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/26/21 04:48 PM
Thanks, Tommyad. Your comment, "...easy to follow recurring melody" reminds me why I've never been a big fan of jazz, especially what was called "modern jazz" back in the 50s and 60s. While it was cleverly executed, it had a meandering (and often annoying) "where the hell it this going?" feel to it. Complicated rhythms don't float my boat either. If I can't whistle the tune or tap my foot to it I find it difficult to relate to.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Cool Nights In Chicago - 02/26/21 10:44 PM
Tasty guitar chops! Sweeeet tone on the axe of yours! Very nice arrangement and using that sax RT was an excellent move.

I really enjoyed this!
© PG Music Forums