PG Music Home
Posted By: CaptainMoto Broken Glass - 02/21/21 04:23 PM
Hey folks,
I recorded this the first week of Jan 2021.
It's just me on an acoustic guitar telling a timely story.

No BIAB so I was hesitant to post it here.
Please skip it if it's not appropriate for this forum.

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/captain-moto-broken-glass
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Broken Glass - 02/21/21 05:56 PM
I think only using a guitar works really well for this song. Great lyrics as well.

I'm also wondering if it's ok to post songs that don't use BiaB? I think many of us here sometimes make songs without BiaB.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Broken Glass - 02/21/21 11:02 PM
Is there only two chords in this song?
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/21/21 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
Is there only two chords in this song?

Three Chords with some embellishments.
Am, Dm, Em
Posted By: bluage Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 03:06 AM
The emotional ambience of this song reminds me very strongly of the soundtracks of some famous and not-so-famous independently produced films of the 60's and 70's that featured mostly acoustic guitar-and-vocal tracks such as The Graduate, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Cisco Pike, and a few more. The spare chord pattern drives home your impressionistic lyrics in a stark, sun-bleached manner that makes them sound mystically inspired. I think you should post them. I like the way your vocal sounds, too: reflective, moody, intense in a quiet way. The song is a highly distinctive piece of work with its own unique musical character. Very, very well done.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 05:19 AM
It's OK to post songs here that don't use BiaB, as long as you're a BiaB user. At the top of the forum, it says exactly that:

Quote:
he User Showcase is an area where users of PG Music products (e.g. Band-in-a-Box or RealBand) can post links to their original song compositions, for others to listen to.

It also explicitly says that "if" you use BiaB, you should provide information as to the styles or RealTracks (emphasis added):

Quote:
If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used.

As for the song, it sounds great in my headphones! laugh
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 08:04 AM
Nice! Vocal sounds good and great tone on the acoustic, something I always struggle with.

I agree with David, sounds great through the 'phones!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
The emotional ambience of this song reminds me very strongly of the soundtracks of some famous and not-so-famous independently produced films of the 60's and 70's that featured mostly acoustic guitar-and-vocal tracks such as The Graduate, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Cisco Pike, and a few more. The spare chord pattern drives home your impressionistic lyrics in a stark, sun-bleached manner that makes them sound mystically inspired. I think you should post them. I like the way your vocal sounds, too: reflective, moody, intense in a quiet way. The song is a highly distinctive piece of work with its own unique musical character. Very, very well done.

Thanks for you comments.
I'll go hunt those up and give them a listen.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
It's OK to post songs here that don't use BiaB, as long as you're a BiaB user. At the top of the forum, it says exactly that:

Quote:
he User Showcase is an area where users of PG Music products (e.g. Band-in-a-Box or RealBand) can post links to their original song compositions, for others to listen to.

It also explicitly says that "if" you use BiaB, you should provide information as to the styles or RealTracks (emphasis added):

Quote:
If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used.

As for the song, it sounds great in my headphones! laugh

Thanks for that insight.
I appreciate your help.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice! Vocal sounds good and great tone on the acoustic, something I always struggle with.

I agree with David, sounds great through the 'phones!

Thanks Dave,

This was one of those rare, one and done, songs.

The inspiration hit me and I needed to capture the idea before it faded away.
This was intended to just an outline.

It was one take, guitar and vocals with two mics.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 04:57 PM
Hi Captain,

You are quiet busy with these songs, the dancing and the broken glass.
But I liked it very much. These songs always touch me. Strangely enough I don't make them myself.
Beautiful!

Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Captain,

You are quiet busy with these songs, the dancing and the broken glass.
But I liked it very much. These songs always touch me. Strangely enough I don't make them myself.
Beautiful!

Hans

Thanks for listening Hans.
I haven't been that busy but, somehow I can't get them all done.
I've got more songs Ideas than time allows me to finish.

moto
Posted By: Scott C Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 05:52 PM
Another beautiful song. Acoustic was perfect accompaniment for this song. Super vocal and lyric. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 06:20 PM
moto,

Sounds like a song that you would hear in a smokey 60's coffeehouse.
There would be peace sign posters on the wall. And someone with bongos. smile
Well done.

fj
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 09:38 PM
Well done, Captain. The sombre tone of both the vocal and guitar are perfect for the disturbing subject. I've always been a big fan of a man or woman singing to an acoustic guitar accompaniment. Some of the most powerful songs in various genres are delivered this way.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another beautiful song. Acoustic was perfect accompaniment for this song. Super vocal and lyric. Well done

Thank you sir.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
moto,

Sounds like a song that you would hear in a smokey 60's coffeehouse.
There would be peace sign posters on the wall. And someone with bongos. smile
Well done.

fj

Thanks for listening Floyd.

Bongos!!!! hey, now I've got some ideas.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/22/21 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you sir.
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Well done, Captain. The sombre tone of both the vocal and guitar are perfect for the disturbing subject. I've always been a big fan of a man or woman singing to an acoustic guitar accompaniment. Some of the most powerful songs in various genres are delivered this way.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon,

Once in a while I get it to turn out OK, this was a magical one take track.
When that happens, I always like that live feeling.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Broken Glass - 02/23/21 11:23 AM
Oh, yeah! This forum is all about creativity and helping and encouraging others to use it. This song reminds me of John Lennon. This song is perfect in its simplicity. It's not about the players; it's about the lyrics --which are really really good. Well done, Captain.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Broken Glass - 02/23/21 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yeah! This forum is all about creativity and helping and encouraging others to use it. This song reminds me of John Lennon. This song is perfect in its simplicity. It's not about the players; it's about the lyrics --which are really really good. Well done, Captain.

Thanks Marty,
I agree with your assessment on encouraging creativity.
Although I've veered of course a few times, I generally like to tell a story or convey a message with my songs.

John Lennon...OH my, that's a high mark to shoot for.
I appreciate your encouragement.

moto
© PG Music Forums