PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 10:30 AM
A song written by Jimmie Cox in 1923 and is now in Public Domain.

Nobody Know You on SoundCLoud
Nobody Know You on YouTube

Nobody Knows You (when you're down and out). You may not remember me, you may not even know me, but one of my favorite thigs to do is listen to your music. Recently Cakewalk had a meltdown on my computer. Although I was still able to lay down bass for others, I couldn't create a whole song on my own. After much frustration in tryin to revive it, Dave (Blue Attitude) Bell suggested Reaper. Great idea! Of course there was a bit of a learning curve that took me away from Creative endeavors. This is a song I had played with in BiaB so it was ready for the test. Joe Cigan, a friend of mine who I've played with for over 30 years, said he'd love to add a solo to it. The only way he could do it from his sheltering in place 2 hours away was to use his iPhone. Long story short: he has since bought BiaB and we may hear more of him on his own in here soon.

Your comments are always welcomed and enjoyed. Your critique is always appreciated.

Style is _BLUESSH.STY (Blues Shuffle Quintet Swing)

Loop in Song: AcousticDrumFullKit\Jazz - swing120_brush_sn2 sw8.wav
RealTracks in style: ~425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 1924:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockSlow12-8Sol Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~585:Guitar, Resophonic, Rhythm Blues Muddy Sw 120
RealTracks in song: ~952:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBoogieOpen Sw 110
RealDrums [in Song:CountryShuffle: a: SideStick, HiHat b: Snare, HiHat
I played bass and song. Joe Cigan played the guitar solos.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 11:34 AM
Excellent take on an old classic! Your voice is ideal for this type of material, and of course the bass is right on the money.

Joe did a fine job for you on guitar, he is a great player in my book.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 11:36 AM
Marty,

Awesome.

Everything about this sounds good.

An impassioned vocal. (your best, I think)
That gorgeous buttery bass!!
Nice balance in the mix.
Joe's guitar work is sweeeet!

An EXCELLENT listen.

I know you! And glad of it...

fj
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 12:43 PM
Nice rendition.

Really belting that out!
Gitfiddle sounds good to.

moto
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 01:16 PM
Great job Marty vocal perfect for the tune, bass playing is excellent and tone everything spot on very engaging thanks Eric
Posted By: Scott C Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 01:34 PM
Wow this music never gets outdated. It just lives on for ever. Excellent vocal Marty. Loved the bass lines. The guitar solo was awesome. Well done
Posted By: musician17 Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 03:35 PM
STANDING OVATION. For you AND for Mr Cigan. THAT's what happens when two top, top, top, top musicians collaborate. Your vocals ooze talent. His guitar playing too. Musical passion at its best :-) and a SUPERB ending ;-)
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 07:20 PM
Hi Marty. Good to see some life breathed into this old classic.
You really do it justice. Excellent vocal and production.
Rob4580
Posted By: rayc Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 08:29 PM
It's nice to hear someone other than the Idle singing this.
Your voice is a classic for this.
Glad you're in Reaper...easy once you've started and do check in with Reaper mania on Utub for the tricks and inside running.
This version presents a sympathetic backing that supports the vocal and narrative.
COOOOOL>
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 09:22 PM
A really nice rendition of an old favourite, Marty. Your vocal is excellent, as is Joe's guitar work.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 09:48 PM
Oh, I didn't know that this tune is that old and public domain now. I love the song and your vocal performance is just awesome!

It was a very enjoyable listen... really well-done! Thanks for sharing!

Will
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 09:51 PM
Marty,
A very, very sad photo of snowman you have in your youtube video...
Come, bring buckets, I will give you some fresh snow from yesterday.
Super revival. Everything is perfect. Ace vocals! I have heard several versions of this tune and they are on a sadder sides of things. You put a lot of positive energy into it! It does feel different in a good way. Cool guitar by Joe. Enjoyed my listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Dallas PA? I used to live in Scranton smile
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 11:07 PM
One of the world's greatest songs delivered in one of my favorite renditions. My soul, what isn't to love?

Side note: Your youtube links goes to the Eric Idle song, which i also listened to and enjoyed a lot.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/23/21 11:30 PM
Critique? I love it.

Energetic arrangement, excellent vocal.

laugh
Posted By: tommyad Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/24/21 09:16 AM
I have always loved this song. Your take on it a faster version and it works well. The vocal is great as is the bass playing and Joe’s guitar is excellent. Much enjoyed,Tom
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/24/21 07:04 PM
Hi Marty,

What a nice, cool performance of this old song!
You did a very good job, although you had to deal with that horrific meltdown with your Daw!
The vocals are so good. Made for blues!
And I like that outro very much; still mumbling while everyone else stops playing...
It's all very cool!

Hans
Posted By: edshaw Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/25/21 06:16 PM
Fantastic production, Marty.
Takes me back a few years when I had a vinyl of Eric Clapton's version. Wow! Just about wore out the grooves. That's all I can say. Between that and hearing what Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia were doing with old folkies, such as Casey Jones, and Johnny Cash's digging into the attic, that told me that these oldies are meant to be taken very seriously. So, this song was a life changer for me and I'll bet not the only one. Your rendition is more to the current tastes. Recording technology or whatever, the vocal guitar have reached new heights in this piece.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/25/21 09:10 PM
Hi Marty
Congrats to you and your buddy Joe. Great to hear some life breathed into these old gems . Your vocals just keep getting better and better. Excellent rendition.
cheers
Gary
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/26/21 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for listening and commenting everyone. VERY encouraging!! Seems I was too late to edit this when I figured out what RayC meant --with a little help from Tangmo. The YouTube link takes you to my whole channel where that Idle song starts automatically. Sorry 'bout that.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/26/21 12:20 PM
it's no secret we love diving into the public domain...and you surfaced with one of our favorites.

The more uptempo arrangement was a pleasant surprise.

Fine vocal, bass and love that stinging guitar!

We both immediately noted the way you phrased the word fall after the solo. Cool!

Nice lyric vid also. Where'd you find those photos? smile

Great!

J&B
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/27/21 12:28 AM
Nice cut. Great bluesy version. You can play that guitar. Nice. The band kept up with you too.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/28/21 02:46 AM
Marty,

Your vocal and bass are very nice.
And Joe's guitar is also wonderful.
I didn't know this song itself, but I always find there are really good songs in the American public domain.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Nobody Knows You - 02/28/21 05:19 AM
HI Marty ...

I have to confess I've never heard this song before. But dang ... I totally loved this! You have a reat voice for this and, as always, that bass just smoothly finds every perfect note. Love the passion in your voice. Great, great listen! Joe did a great job on the guitar. Still smiling ...

Alan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Nobody Knows You - 03/01/21 07:27 PM
What a beautiful job on this Marty! You know the blues! The vocals is excellent and that guitar work is perfect! T
© PG Music Forums