PG Music Home
Hello members of the beautiful biab,

I decided to modify my post and try to get your feedback. I have a choice to make between two soundtrack instrumentals. The first "the little mermaid" on which I have already had comments. and I thank them for that.

The second "The flight of abatross whose construction method is the same but with slightly different vst. My question is the following: which is for you the movie soundtrack which likes best the 1 or the 2. Your opinion is important for me? would help with the creation of my future soundtrack movie.

1. The little mermaid
Movie soundtrack
Bpm 90
duration: 3 min 17

2. The flight of albatross
Movie soundtrack
Bpm 90
duration: 4 min 39

Work method used for the two soundtracks.
Chord grid developed in Biab VST
research in different styles of solo midi variations or soundtracks of Biab which can be extracted in midi on which I can adapt orchestral vst or soundscape. For example, the midi warm pad track lends itself well to this. But there are many more in old midi styles. Define from the master track imported by C1, the parts where each instrument can be played (for example the guitar). Double some passages with one or more instruments to reinforce the amplitude. Mixing with Ozone9 in studio one.

1.The link to "The little Mermaid" is :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631/petite-sirene

Vst used
IIya Efimov guitar : acoustic guitar
E-instruments Grand S : piano
Eastwest choirs
Symphobia and Lumina for other instruments (strings, Brass, Woodwind and timpani

2. The link to "The flight of albatross" is :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631/the-flying-of-free-albatros
Vst used
Cinematic guitar : acoustic guitar
Eastwest choirs
Symphobia and Lumina for other instruments (strings, Brass, Woodwind and timpani

The link to my other soundtracks is :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631

If you have the inclination or desire to comment and select your choice 1 or 2 , thank you for your advice.

Kindly regard smile
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

I like it - great soundtrack music. I could easily see it as the music for the credits for some TV melodrama or something. I think it really works!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The little Mermaid (La petite Sirène) - 03/10/21 03:21 PM
Really beautiful work. Many nice details and the song evolves all the time keeping the interest, that's how an instrumental tells the story, here each instrument plays its role perfectly, although I wish the woodwind had been used more, it has a nice Celtic flavor smile

Janne
Derochette,

Well done. Beautiful orchestration. It breathes well.

An excellent listen. Very well mixed.

Nice!

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: The little Mermaid (La petite Sirène) - 03/10/21 08:13 PM
Wow. Just awesome. Love the acoustic arpeggios. Beautiful music. I can see this in a Disney film like Fantasia...
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The little Mermaid (La petite Sirène) - 03/10/21 10:54 PM
You are doing very good soundscape work. This has gentle but frequent changes in mood and intensity I really enjoyed. Excellent depth and width to the instruments.
Musical balm!

Robert
Well orchestrated.

Good title as it delivers a sense of fluidity.
I can imagine a little mermaid frolicking in the sea.

moto
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The little Mermaid (La petite Sirène) - 03/11/21 12:14 AM
Very nice piece that really carries the listener along. Good work on production and keeping things evolving. The chord changes may have been a little busy for my tastes in places, but really, there is no place for a mermaid to "land", is there? The only other crit I can offer is the very ending. That midi 2 bar ending is often too short to fully satisfy and I wish that last chord/fade could have been held longer and not been quite so abrupt.

Overall, an immersive and entertaining listen.
Hi musician17,

I appreciated your comment. I thank you.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi jannesan,

It is true that I have mixed brass and woodwinds. By favoring the woods, the flavor of the piece would have been sweeter. Thank you for your comment.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi floyd jane,

I compose in what I know how to do best. Thank you for your appreciation.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi Scott C,

I'm glad you like it. Thank you for your nice comment on soundcloud and on this forum.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi Robertkc,

It is true that I have good movie soundtrack oriented vsts which help me a lot in terms of inspiration. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks you.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi Moto,

I tried to be fluid with instrumental variations to avoid monotony. I thank you for your appreciation.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi Tangmo,

I could have created a break or slowed down the Bpm to make room for the little mermaid to land. The end can also be lengthened. These are good points to remember. Thank you for your analysis and your advice.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: dcuny Re: The little Mermaid (La petite Sirène) - 03/11/21 11:15 PM
The running figure in Petite Sirène gives is a nice subtle drive. The trumpet particularly nice. The texture is light, and the figure is memorable.

On the other hand, The flight of the albatross feels more orchestral, and sounds more orchestral. The guitar figures feel more like what I'd expect a soundtrack to be punctuated with. It shows that you can play something musical, and not just rely on textures. There are multiple lines overlaid, and it feels more complex. You also cover a wider range of emotions. The piece feels like it's moving somewhere, and not just relying on a clever melodic figure.

Without a question, I think The flight of the albatross is the better choice for showing off your skills.
Hi dcuny,

Thank you for your subtle analysis of my two soundtracks. The construction is different but I agree with you regarding your appreciation. You are of good advice and I thank you again for your comment.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Both are well done....

I prefer the Mermaid. It is beautiful.

Nicely done on both of the songs.
Hi Guitarhacker,

It's nice to drop by and comment. The orchestral oriented film music is not easy because too many people are confined to the same sounds. So I have to find a style to extract myself from the mass of composers but also to find a pleasant original style. I'm happy with your choice because The Little Mermaid is the last instrumental composition I created. Thank you for taking your time to compare the two soundtracks.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Derochette,
They are very different beasts. I guess man in me goes more for power than serenity. I will go for Albatross. But with that said, I do see a lot of advantages in Mermaid tune as well. Especially wind + bell work is great. Both are well constructed and mixed, but it seems more was put into making The flight of albatross, varied mood and images. Thank you for sharing.
P.S. IIya Efimov guitar sounds really good.

Misha.
"The Little Mermaid" is light an airy, more like a light classical piece of music.

"The Flight of the Albatross" is more full orchestra related, more like Andre Sagovia and the London Philharmonic.

Because they are so different it is hard to pick one but if I have to pick one I would pick "The Little Mermaid" but "The Flight of the Albatross" is a very close second.
Hi Rustyspoon,

your analysis is absolutely correct. More instruments were used in Albatross especially to simulate the wind carrying the bird over the ocean with a risk of weighing down the composition in the mix. In Mermaid, the orchestral layers are performed with a quartet, which makes the sounds in the background lighter. I understand your choice. For me, the question is whether I will use large sets of strings or smaller sets with less power in the future. You will certainly answer me that it depends on the developed theme. In any case, I thank you for your analysis and your appreciation.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi MarioD,

Thank you for your analysis and your appreciation on soundcloud. Large orchestral ensembles give a heavier atmosphere and often require support to be fully appreciated. In the absence of visual support, Mermaid with the quartet pleases the ear better. Again a big thank you for your advice and your appreciation which will help me in my next soundtracks.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Derochette,

I'm not skilled at all in this genre/approach to making music but you sure are! I do know great work when I hear it though and this is fantastic! It's a beautiful piece that you should be proud of! Take care, T
It is very hard to select one. We listened to them back to back and it might be better to listen to one and come back for the other.

But they were both lovely...we thought The Flight Of The Albatross had a more majestic sound which might suggest it is more cinematic.

Beautifully done!

J&B
Derochette,

I think both songs are great soundtracks.
I thought "The flight of albatross" was a more elaborate work.
Both are reminiscent of the Hollywood movie scene strongly.
In addition to the tunes that liven up the scene, the soundtrack of the movie has a love theme or theme song that is used as the main theme.
I would also like to listen to the love theme you write.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The little Mermaid (La petite Sirène) - 03/15/21 10:28 AM
Really cool how the mermaid builds and morphs giving one the thrill of the story. Each part is perfectly placed, and it delights the ears. The acoustic guitar is the star and all else are the changing backdrops in an exceptional demonstration of showing how music can make the blind see.

Close your eyes and follow the vision of a flying albatross. It seems that she is flying over some dangerous territory. It's definitely in that part of the movie where you can leave until she lands safely. Outstanding work, Derochette. As for which music I'd prefer, I'd have to go with the scenes they evoke. In this case, I'd prefer to swim with the mermaid instead of soar with the albatross.
Hi Torrey Bliss,

It is true that I am a little atypical on this forum with my instrumental film oriented soundtracks. Thank you for taking your time to listen to this composition and for giving me your impressions. thanks again.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi Janice & Bud,

It's always a pleasure to read you. Like you, I don't have a precise idea of ​​how to build a movie soundtrack. More powerful orchestral sounds or more subtle quartet ensembles. No doubt, define the instruments to be used according to the theme developed. And I come back to my first interrogation. Thank you for your appreciation and also for your comments on soundcloud which make me happy.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi animarorecords,

It's nice of you to have taken your time to analyze the two compositions. You are right in saying that Albatross was more elaborate because I wanted to bring out the flight of the bird with the turbulence and the dangers that surrounded it on a daily basis. This is why I used the guitar sparingly, leaving the orchestral layers to simulate the flight of this bird. Thank you again for your nice comment.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi BabuMusic,

First,I thank you for your comments on Soudcloud which always make me happy. I thank you then for your sharp analysis on the two compositions built according to the same method but with different instrumental tools. What I retain in the end. It is that the objective is reached. Each composition gives off an emotion and I have to build my compositions according to the desired theme. Thank you again for this well done analysis and your opinion which is important to me.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

It is a hard choice, but both of them are absolutely stunning!!!! The sound is so rich and the compositions are fantastic.......always evolving and maintaining interest. Unbelievably great productions!!! Take care. Greg
Albatross...
It fits the bill and job description.
The bones/vobraphone/glok don't really fit as a flourish though.
Lots of interesting texture and detail.
Its tough to respond to your request for feedback on the choice without seeing the images/theme/storyline of the movie you are composing for.
My taste tends to the more open,sombre textures of Albatross ( apart for those last few bars which seemed too pretty?), but they are both very well done.
I`m curious about the need to choose;are you scoring an actual film?

Robert
Hi greg,

It's nice your comment. But if the sounds seem good, it is also thanks to my orchestral vst which are of good quality. And that maybe diminishes your compliment a bit compared to my actual compositional abilities.

Take care of yourself in these difficult times as well.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hello rayc,

You are right, the bones / vibraphone / glock are not as the reason for existence is essential. And listeners are often divided on the introduction of these. But this is only a track that can be superseded on demand. Please know that I appreciate your constructive comment. Thanks to you.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Hi Robertkc,

Thank you for commenting again. To answer your questions. The film music that I create is just a hobby and I am not a music composition professional. I challenge myself from an image or a theme and I try to transcribe emotions from them. A remark however on the flight of the albatross, I was contacted by a French television channel which seemed interested in this instrumental music and since no news. It does not matter. Anyway my soundtracks are free for those who would like to use them, but I haven't had any request for it.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
© PG Music Forums