PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker She Wrecks Me - 03/10/21 05:48 PM
This is a song that Martin D Torrez wrote and recorded using BB tracks. Real Tracks actually.

I heard this in it's original form and commented on it. I don't recall the particulars but likely about aspects of the mix and the guitars. Martin and I lost contact for a few weeks due to things going on. I had honestly forgotten about it totally. We reconnected and I was sent the tracks to remix. There's 24 tracks in the original song and they're all here too.

What I did was work on the vocals EQ and levels, remix the entire band, and added the solo in the middle here at my studio.

This is a pretty cool song and I was impressed with the potential it had.

All tracks are realtracks.
Acoustic-#362 is Tony King.
Bass-#387 is Dow Tomlin.
Drums - Wayne Killus.
Acoustic Fingerpicking -#365 is Jason Roller.
Electric Rhythm-#642 is Mike Durham.
12 String-#1002 is Pat McGrath.

Vocals Martin Torrez
Lead Guitar solo: Herb Hartley

Here's the song.... enjoy.

She Wrecks Me

Note that there was no vocal correction used.... there was over 12 vocal tracks.... are you kidding me?

Second thing is that there is a sound around 4:18 in the song.... that was left in because I thought it was cool....

Bonus points if you can guess exactly what it is.
Posted By: gruverider Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/10/21 07:49 PM
Wonderful harmonies! Cool groove and vibe. And well mixed.

Much enjoyed!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/10/21 08:31 PM
Took me a few moments to get my head around your unusual vocal
on this.Very well crafted and great band choice.
Well mixed and performed.
Rob4580
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/10/21 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wonderful harmonies! Cool groove and vibe. And well mixed.

Much enjoyed!

I'm glad you like it. Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/10/21 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Took me a few moments to get my head around your unusual vocal
on this.Very well crafted and great band choice.
Well mixed and performed.
Rob4580

I reckon you eventually figured out that it wasn't me singing. Lol.....

I played about 20 seconds worth of guitar on this.

Thanks
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/10/21 11:49 PM
It's got a unique sound to it.
I don't love it, I don't hate it....HMMM?

Nice job on the harmonies.

Is that 4:18 sound a guitar string scratch?

moto
Posted By: Tangmo Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 12:04 AM
Nice work on the mix. Love the indie vibe and the twists and turns in production. Guy has a good indie-rock voice and the doubling and harmonies were very effective.
Posted By: PeterF Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 12:17 AM
Herb

Interesting song with a nice big sound, well mixed and produced.

Good stuff.

Peter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
It's got a unique sound to it.
I don't love it, I don't hate it....HMMM?

Nice job on the harmonies.

Is that 4:18 sound a guitar string scratch?

moto

I have songs like that too.... not quite sure so I listen and see if it grows on me or not.

Martin did a great job on the harmonies.

Nope.... good guess on the sound but it's not a guitar.

Thanks for listening
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Nice work on the mix. Love the indie vibe and the twists and turns in production. Guy has a good indie-rock voice and the doubling and harmonies were very effective.

I agree and that's one of the reasons I offered to jump in on this and mix it. Very cool production switch-ups and not in my specific genre.... so it was certainly fun to mix.

I think you're right.... his voice is well suited for the genre.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Herb

Interesting song with a nice big sound, well mixed and produced.

Good stuff.

Peter

Thanks Peter..... He did most of the production before hand.... I did make a few edits that ended up shortening the song a bit and also a few internal things. I lengthened the time in the acoustic section before the drums and bass came in.... that was a unique and pretty part to me. It reminded me of 10cc or one of those MOR late 70's bands.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 07:35 PM
Nice solo Herb! It fits the song very well! I like all the changes in flow of the tune! Very interesting melodic structure! T
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 09:45 PM
I really like the way the pulsing,thrusting guitar contrasts with the ethereal melody and vocal. Nice!

At 4:18, it does sound like some sort of fret/string noise.
Posted By: dcuny Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/11/21 11:57 PM
Hi, Herb.

...I jump immediately to hear the pick sliding up the guitar string, only to read that's not what the sound is.

No bonus points for me! frown

You're complaining there are 12 vocal tracks? That means there are "only" 12 instrument tracks! laugh

Song enjoyed - Cool sound!
Posted By: Al-David Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 02:42 AM
Herb and Martin ...

Very cool Indie Rock! It'[s not a genre I listen to often, but pick one out here and there. This is an excellent representation of the genre, based on my limited knowledge of the genre. Loved the vocals only part! And that sawing guitar backing track really puts an edge to everything.

Your lead riff was outstanding! Playing out of=of-genre and making it sound as though you've been playing all your life isn't always a piece of cake. But it was a sweet delicacy this time - you nailed it!

Not sure of the source. But it sounded a bit like a keyboard with that little "warble" stick". I don't know what you call that thing but "warble stick" sounded good to me! It's usually on the left-hand side, close to the lowest key. If that made no sense to you, just ignore it. I'm used to being ignored - I'm married!

Totally different from anything you've previously posted. It was a really nice surprise!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Nice solo Herb! It fits the song very well! I like all the changes in flow of the tune! Very interesting melodic structure! T

Glad you like this. I try to be as melodic as possible in the majority of cases.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I really like the way the pulsing,thrusting guitar contrasts with the ethereal melody and vocal. Nice!

At 4:18, it does sound like some sort of fret/string noise.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of those crunchy guitars.... love it.

Nope.... that noise is not fret/string noise.

Thanks for listening
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Herb.

...I jump immediately to hear the pick sliding up the guitar string, only to read that's not what the sound is.

No bonus points for me! frown

You're complaining there are 12 vocal tracks? That means there are "only" 12 instrument tracks! laugh

Song enjoyed - Cool sound!

Yeah.... there was a lot of tracks.... in addition to the vox.... there was, for example.... 4 acoustic guitars in the instrument mix.... trying to get a good clean sound without slighting any of them. Panning.....

Hang loose on the mystery noise....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Herb and Martin ...

Very cool Indie Rock! It'[s not a genre I listen to often, but pick one out here and there. This is an excellent representation of the genre, based on my limited knowledge of the genre. Loved the vocals only part! And that sawing guitar backing track really puts an edge to everything.

Your lead riff was outstanding! Playing out of=of-genre and making it sound as though you've been playing all your life isn't always a piece of cake. But it was a sweet delicacy this time - you nailed it!

Not sure of the source. But it sounded a bit like a keyboard with that little "warble" stick". I don't know what you call that thing but "warble stick" sounded good to me! It's usually on the left-hand side, close to the lowest key. If that made no sense to you, just ignore it. I'm used to being ignored - I'm married!

Totally different from anything you've previously posted. It was a really nice surprise!

Take care ...

Alan

Thanks for the kind words.... I like to stretch myself out of my comfort zone from time to time and this certainly let me have that opportunity. Working up the guitar solo so that it didn't sound country, which is kind of my default setting was an interesting and fun experience.

The sound source was not a keyboard either.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 11:31 AM
OK..... there was some really good guesses so far on the mystery sound at 4:18 in the mix. And really, it's not an easy sound to identify. SO here's the details.

It's on one of the vocal harmony tracks and I had panned that track pretty far to one side which I'm sure you noticed if you listened to the song with headphones.

Martin explained that he was recording the vocal harmony tracks and his dog was in the room with him laying down and listening to the goings on. Apparently, the dog was getting a bit bored, and let loose with one of those audible yawns that dogs tend to do, right there in the middle of the tracking for that track...

Yep, it's a big old DOG YAWN. I think it's their way of saying it's time to throw the ball for me dad.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/12/21 10:40 PM
Very cool song!!! Very trippy......would be great in a film!! Love the mix with the heavy drums and a lot of space! Excellent work!! No idea what the sound is?? Take care. Greg
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/13/21 01:44 AM
Very good track. Cool rocker. Vocals very well recorded. Love the music, especially that guitar during break. Great mix.
Posted By: Derochette Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/13/21 12:47 PM
Hi Guitarhacker,

It is an interesting composition as well in the harmonies as in the timbre of the vocal. The guitar solo enriches it and the mix is ​​well done. I apprecied.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/13/21 01:00 PM
Herb & Martin, this is really great stuff. A musical masterpiece with so much to listen to. Outstanding vocals --all 12 tracks! Yeah, that's a very cool musical dog there. Of course, I thought it was some slide on a string or maybe a saw, but...
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 09:43 AM
Excellent job Herb on the mix and tasty solo. This song is a good choice for you. There's a lot to work with here. Enjoyed this song more than I thought I would.
Posted By: tommyad Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 09:51 AM
The drums sound killer in this. I enjoyed the harmonies and the production is stellar. The solo is perfect for the genre. Great job by you both, Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool song!!! Very trippy......would be great in a film!! Love the mix with the heavy drums and a lot of space! Excellent work!! No idea what the sound is?? Take care. Greg

I never considered it as a film song.... but you might be on target there.

The sound is a dog yawning.

Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very good track. Cool rocker. Vocals very well recorded. Love the music, especially that guitar during break. Great mix.

Glad you enjoyed it. It took me a while to come up with that solo.... but in the end, I was happy with the results.

Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Guitarhacker,

It is an interesting composition as well in the harmonies as in the timbre of the vocal. The guitar solo enriches it and the mix is ​​well done. I apprecied.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Very cool.... thanks for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed the song.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Herb & Martin, this is really great stuff. A musical masterpiece with so much to listen to. Outstanding vocals --all 12 tracks! Yeah, that's a very cool musical dog there. Of course, I thought it was some slide on a string or maybe a saw, but...

Yep... it did sound like a slide....

Thank you for you time to listen and comment. Much appreciated.
Posted By: MarioD Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
The drums sound killer in this. I enjoyed the harmonies and the production is stellar. The solo is perfect for the genre. Great job by you both, Tom

I agree completely, fantastic drums, vocal, and mix. It must have taken a long time to mix this one. That lead guitar was excellent!

I really liked this.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/14/21 10:36 PM
Herb,
Yeah pretty cool tune indeed. Completely not what I was expecting when I heard it first time couple of days back. I didn't read the comments back then, I thought your vocals changed dramatically smile Now I know that it is by Mr. Torrez! Excellent composition musically and lyrically. Mix...I think there might be too much mids? Something came to mind... I remember Soundcloud used to suppress quality of mp3s if it was not encoded and uploaded with highest quality settings. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. 4:18... Digitized / robotized cat's meow?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/15/21 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Excellent job Herb on the mix and tasty solo. This song is a good choice for you. There's a lot to work with here. Enjoyed this song more than I thought I would.

Thanks Charlie. It was fun working on this because it wasn't my typical country tune.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/15/21 05:09 PM

those drums kinda grabbed me and sucked me in. Glad to hear you liked it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/15/21 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I agree completely, fantastic drums, vocal, and mix. It must have taken a long time to mix this one. That lead guitar was excellent!

I really liked this.

Mix time on this was about average. Maybe a tad past average. The fact that there was a ton of vocal tracks is a bit misleading. Yeah, there was a bunch of them but most of them only had a few harmony parts in each. So it was mostly panning and level kind of stuff.

Thank you for the compliment on the lead solo..... much appreciated.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/15/21 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Herb,
Yeah pretty cool tune indeed. Completely not what I was expecting when I heard it first time couple of days back. I didn't read the comments back then, I thought your vocals changed dramatically smile Now I know that it is by Mr. Torrez! Excellent composition musically and lyrically. Mix...I think there might be too much mids? Something came to mind... I remember Soundcloud used to suppress quality of mp3s if it was not encoded and uploaded with highest quality settings. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. 4:18... Digitized / robotized cat's meow?

Not what you were expecting..... I have to keep everyone on their toes and not become 'too' predictable. Right? I do always upload the highest (320kbs) Mp3 that I can as long as it fits.

Nope.... not a digitized cat..... a yawning doggo.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/15/21 05:25 PM
I guess this might sound odd given that several folks have mentioned indie but we got a post Zeppelin Robert Plant feel from the vocal and the arrangement...a good thing.

The production is impressive. If I sat down with that many vocal tracks I doubt much would come of it before I quit smile

Nice anthemic solo.

Y'all done good!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/16/21 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I guess this might sound odd given that several folks have mentioned indie but we got a post Zeppelin Robert Plant feel from the vocal and the arrangement...a good thing.

The production is impressive. If I sat down with that many vocal tracks I doubt much would come of it before I quit smile

Nice anthemic solo.

Y'all done good!

J&B

Very much appreciated. I never listened to Plant after Zeppelin, probably my mistake.... just never had the interest. Thank you for listening and commenting.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/17/21 03:09 PM

Yeah this sounds great.

As others have said, a big big sound!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/17/21 09:28 PM
Guitarhacker,

Engaging right out of the gate—really rich sound. The mix on the vocal track—really on the whole song—is super solid (particularly on that bridge). That electric guitar—ThrashHollow, I think—give a nice underlying drive (in the verses in particular). Lead guitar solo really pops. Killer rock tune going on here—well done, gents!

My best to you both,

Deej
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/18/21 10:20 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Yeah this sounds great.

As others have said, a big big sound!

I appreciate that. Thanks for stopping in.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She Wrecks Me - 03/18/21 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Guitarhacker,

Engaging right out of the gate—really rich sound. The mix on the vocal track—really on the whole song—is super solid (particularly on that bridge). That electric guitar—ThrashHollow, I think—give a nice underlying drive (in the verses in particular). Lead guitar solo really pops. Killer rock tune going on here—well done, gents!

My best to you both,

Deej

Thank you for listening and commenting. Great observations on your part.
© PG Music Forums