PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/10/21 09:26 PM

Edge Walkin'

Tired of walking that edge? A short little 12 bar ditty.
We genuinely appreciate your time to listen and comment.

Janice: lead, BGVs, melody & arrangement
Peter: solo guitar, guitar turnaround tracks, resonator guitar fills & arrangement
Bud: lyric, progression, arrangement, mix & mastering

Thanks to PG Music! Lyrics are on Soundcloud.

Tech stuff:

Vocal lead > Rodes NT1 > Nectar 3
Vocal call back > Rodes NT1 > Logic Pro EQ > Waves CLA Vocals
Vocal harmony > Rodes NT1 > Logic Pro EQ > Waves CLA Vocals

Drums: RD BluesRockShuffle > Waves CLA Drums
Snare: Doubled from RD Kit > Neutron 3 > 140 EMT Plate Reverb sim
Cymbal: Sample > Waves JJP Cymbals

Bass RT 546: Electric, CountrySwing > Waves Bass Rider > Neutron 3

Piano MIDI SuperTracks 3001: Rhythm FolkBluesSlowShuffleMike > Logic Pro Grand Steinway > Logic Direction Mixer > Waves CLA Unplugged

Guitar Rhythm RT 3364: Electric, Rhythm BritBluesRockSlowShuffle

Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Ozone 9 EQ > O9 Multiband Compressor > O9 Imager > O9 Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance > Logic Pro Loudness Meter

© 2021 B. Merritt, J. Merritt & P. Fulham
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/10/21 09:43 PM
Some songs keep my attention for at least 30 seconds. Good ones keep me there right to end (whether bitter or sweet!). This one took me back for a rare second dose. Many thanks and congratulations on a great write/production/performance.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/10/21 10:51 PM
As perusal outstanding vocals, musicianship and mastering.
Nice job on the guitar work Pete.
Always good. Rob4580
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/10/21 11:04 PM
J&B and Peter,
Straight ahead unfussed, but still finely detailed ( Janice`s vocal asides and Peter`s resonator are very good).
Superbly produced, of course.
No idea if this is intended to be topical, but there sure are lots of folks on a short tether these days... so this fit nicely with what I observed on the road today-yikes!

Robert
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Some songs keep my attention for at least 30 seconds. Good ones keep me there right to end (whether bitter or sweet!). This one took me back for a rare second dose. Many thanks and congratulations on a great write/production/performance.

Thanks for the supportive comments! A second listen has to be earned and I’m glad we accomplished it. Thanks for mentioning the write also.

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 12:30 AM
Classic and classy. A very fine "complaining" lyric that feels universal delivered with that now classic Janice world-weary slip-slide and harmonies. The guitar was exceptionally good. Those turn-arounds had that sweet "fresh, yet inevitable" musicality that feels like home and landed just right to allow the verses to come again. All in a sonically pleasing package of goodness.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 05:59 AM
Janice, Bud and Peter ...

Love these minor key, classic Blues. And this one just pops. Great lyric ... the very first line promised a great listen. So, who has a better voice than Janice? Very few, that's who. And Peter gets more from six strings and ten fingers than most of us who have picked up a guitar in earnest. Great fretwork! And the mix? Never as disappointment and always a smile with Bud twisting the knobs.

I absolutely loved the walk-down between verses ... stunning in creation and execution.

I also loved the backing vocals Janice did - in places, almost a vocal commentary to the story.

Excellent x big numbers! Take care, folks ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
As perusal outstanding vocals, musicianship and mastering.
Nice job on the guitar work Pete.
Always good. Rob4580

Thanks Rob. It was an enjoyable project all the way around.

J&B
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 10:25 AM
Ah, some of my favorite humans have once again joined forces and produced a masterpiece. A wonderful blues piece to shuffle along to, your songs always make me wanna play along. Flawless execution and the perfect mix.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 10:36 AM
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter.

This is such a inspiring song! Everything about it sits so well on the ears. Without any sense of hyperbole, this is first class listening all the way.

Peter, your guitar work is polished and professional. I've never heard you play resonator before. I love the sound of your playing. It's not as overpowering as the Realtrack resonator guitars sometimes are. You've got the knack!

Bud... it's two enthusiastic thumbs up for the mixing. I notice that you used CLA plugins, Ozone 9 and Nectar 3. These are my go-to tools these days, too. Mixing and producing still challenge me. These plugins help keep the blood pressure down. Most important, though, they work a treat.

And Janice... your vocals are truly a joy for the ears. I love all the fill-ins and the harmonies. I don't know how you do it. When I listen, it sounds so easy. But when I try to do this sort of thing, my brain goes haywire. While I can write harmony, I cannot sing it easily at all. As I listened to your vocals on this, there are many lessons for me to learn. I'll definitely be going back for some ideas.

All the best to everyone,
Noel
Posted By: vicarn Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 02:59 PM
Wonderful stuff you 3.
Great guitar sits nice in the mix. Great balanced mix too.

Vic
J&B,

I love the tempo/rhythm of this tune, it's perfect for the title and lyrics! Love that little descending turn around thing going on! Janice has just the right kind of voice for these songs and gives another flawless vocal for this! The guitar sounds Peter has on this are excellent as well as the playing, reminds me very much of some of the sounds John Fogerty used to get in the CCR years! Perfectly engineered and mastered as far as I'm concerned Bud! T
Posted By: gruverider Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 08:03 PM
Top notch! Sultry vocal and Kick-butt guitar! All bedded in a wonderful mix.

Much Enjoyed!
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 08:55 PM
Janice and Bud.
I always listen in and enjoy your music and high quality mixing and mastering.
cheers
Gary.
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B and Peter,
Straight ahead unfussed, but still finely detailed ( Janice`s vocal asides and Peter`s resonator are very good).
Superbly produced, of course.
No idea if this is intended to be topical, but there sure are lots of folks on a short tether these days... so this fit nicely with what I observed on the road today-yikes!

Robert

Thank you Robert. Yep, we’ve certainly noticed those short tethers. So topical yes but not applicable to the two of us!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/11/21 11:28 PM
Man - I'm a day late and all the good words have been taken! wink

Love it all the way from the descending turnaround to the long fade on the piano at the end.

In my head, I'm visualizing a 1920's era cartoon, flickering in the screen as characters lope by with a double-bounce walk and rubber-hose animation.

Love the resonator!

Then again, picking any part out in particular means ignoring some other part.

So I'll just cheat and say it's all excellent.

And it's not really cheating if it's true, is it? laugh
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/12/21 02:57 AM
Lyrics, production, vocals and guitar - in fact everything about this - absolutely first class. Great stuff. And a nice cover pic. Hope you watched your step on what looks like a slippery edge there, Janice.
Regards,
Leon
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Classic and classy. A very fine "complaining" lyric that feels universal delivered with that now classic Janice world-weary slip-slide and harmonies. The guitar was exceptionally good. Those turn-arounds had that sweet "fresh, yet inevitable" musicality that feels like home and landed just right to allow the verses to come again. All in a sonically pleasing package of goodness.

Thank you you and "slip-slide" is a cool description -- in our bluegrass days we called it "bent note" singing smile

And, yep, Peter did a fine piece of work with this.

Appreciate it all!

J&B
A winner all the way around.
Smooth easy mix, love the dobro and of course, what's a song without great vocals.

A tasty treat!

moto
Posted By: Derochette Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/12/21 04:55 PM
Hi Janice & Bud,

I am always happy after listening to your compositions. The rhythm and the vocal are always well done. Janice is always so expressive and I could see her on video (super well done between us). Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: PeterF Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/12/21 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96

This is such a inspiring song! Everything about it sits so well on the ears. Without any sense of hyperbole, this is first class listening all the way.

Peter, your guitar work is polished and professional. I've never heard you play resonator before. I love the sound of your playing. It's not as overpowering as the Realtrack resonator guitars sometimes are. You've got the knack!

Bud... it's two enthusiastic thumbs up for the mixing. I notice that you used CLA plugins, Ozone 9 and Nectar 3. These are my go-to tools these days, too. Mixing and producing still challenge me. These plugins help keep the blood pressure down. Most important, though, they work a treat.

And Janice... your vocals are truly a joy for the ears. I love all the fill-ins and the harmonies. I don't know how you do it. When I listen, it sounds so easy. But when I try to do this sort of thing, my brain goes haywire. While I can write harmony, I cannot sing it easily at all. As I listened to your vocals on this, there are many lessons for me to learn. I'll definitely be going back for some ideas.

Noel

Noel Thanks for the comments on the guitar and for a wonderful overall review.

Peter

Originally Posted By: Tangmo

Thanks for noting the guitar. It's always a privilege to play on these tracks.
Peter

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Love these minor key, classic Blues. And this one just pops. Great lyric ... the very first line promised a great listen. So, who has a better voice than Janice? Very few, that's who. And Peter gets more from six strings and ten fingers than most of us who have picked up a guitar in earnest. Great fretwork! And the mix? Never as disappointment and always a smile with Bud twisting the knobs.

I absolutely loved the walk-down between verses ... stunning in creation and execution.

I also loved the backing vocals Janice did - in places, almost a vocal commentary to the story.

Alan

You are too kind Alan.
Thanks Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/12/21 09:38 PM
I love the blues and you three have mastered the genre.
Janice sings so well
Peter is an outstanding profession guitarist.
Bub is the perfect producer and mastering engineer.

You are every bit as good as those on Alligator's Blues roster and the songs on blues radio.
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Alan

Al, you are way too generous with your kind words ... but we’ll take it! smile

Thanks,

J&B
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/13/21 01:47 AM
Really good production. Vocals and lead guitar during break are great. Lyrics are the big attraction on this one. Well written tune. Another good one gang!
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Ah, some of my favorite humans have once again joined forces and produced a masterpiece. A wonderful blues piece to shuffle along to, your songs always make me wanna play along. Flawless execution and the perfect mix.

Thanks. Shuffling is always good!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/13/21 12:04 PM
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Damn Good Music.

What more needs sayin'?

An excellent Blues write. Start to finish...
"So many problems, oh, I need a little distance
Been running ‘bout a quart low on patience
Gonna try that ole path of least resistance"
Nice!!

Perfect BAND (As always).
Great mix (As always).
Killer Vocal (As always).

Peter's guitar and dobro - excellent.

This one sounds like a classic. Right off the bat.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/13/21 07:35 PM
Love the turnaround intro to the song. Loved Peters guitar work on the song. Dobro was excellent and his solo was superb. Awesome vocal and call back harmonies Janice. Excellent production on the song. Well done.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/13/21 07:56 PM
Ooh yeah. That's the way to make my eardrums purr. Love it completely - this kinda of blues just hits the spot. Janice's voice, Peter's guitar ... Bud's production skills ... that's how it's done. Janice sounds at her absolute best here ... more, please! And Peter is just heaven - whereas Bud is a little more laid back, but it wouldn't be the same end product without him. That's the way, folks ... you please carry on, I'm just going to stretch and lie down somewhere round here, so I can hear more of your superb tracks. Thank you :-)
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Noel

Thanks for all you said. And yes those plug-ins are great. Often they make me me feel as though I’m cheating.

I (Bud) remain mystified by Janice’s harmony. It comes to her very quickly and like the lead is most often a single take. She hears it at the same time she’s singing lead — all in her head. And I’ve never used a pitch editor. It would likely explode when she starts her note bending. smile

We appreciate your support.

J&B
Team,
Such a nice swinging tune!
Glad I found a time to listen to it in quiet setting. Totally love it. Amazing drive! Melody, vocals, guitars, arrangement everything works so well. There is nothing I would take out, nor add. A refreshing blues tune. Bud, super clear and full mix! I am a big fan of your art & skill. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Wonderful stuff you 3.
Great guitar sits nice in the mix. Great balanced mix too.

Vic

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B,

I love the tempo/rhythm of this tune, it's perfect for the title and lyrics! Love that little descending turn around thing going on! Janice has just the right kind of voice for these songs and gives another flawless vocal for this! The guitar sounds Peter has on this are excellent as well as the playing, reminds me very much of some of the sounds John Fogerty used to get in the CCR years! Perfectly engineered and mastered as far as I'm concerned Bud! T

We much appreciate your supportive and thoughtful comments Torrey!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/15/21 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B,

Thanks for the comments on the guitar part Torrey. Bud did a great job mixing and mastering the track.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/15/21 06:30 PM
I thought I'd commented on this but have discovered I hadn't. Perhaps it was because I'd been listening via a fb link.
This has a really cool "live" vibe with the snare leading the saunter.
Peter's playing is perfect for the song. The descending riff is an excellent tag/hook too.
The vocals have the weary from walking edge to them that sells the song.
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Top notch! Sultry vocal and Kick-butt guitar! All bedded in a wonderful mix.

Much Enjoyed!

Thanks Lawrence. We always appreciate your comments!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Janice and Bud.
I always listen in and enjoy your music and high quality mixing and mastering.
cheers
Gary.

Thanks for the spin ... glad you liked it!

J&B

Sounds great! You two are the blues masters!

smile

Hey, I have noticed a lot of people on the forum are singing the blues.

Is there something going on in the world that I missed?? Why isn't everywhere super happy?????? I really haven't been outside my room for an entire year or watched any news at all. My Internet has been down as well. Did something happen while I was gone??
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/17/21 09:28 PM
Janice, Bud and Peter:

Another total winner. Lyrics really make this one for me, but everything is just top notch, and that lead solo slays. Hard to add to the accolades above—just some steaming blues. Hot!

Keep up the great work!

My best to you all,

Deej
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Man - I'm a day late and all the good words have been taken! wink

Love it all the way from the descending turnaround to the long fade on the piano at the end.

In my head, I'm visualizing a 1920's era cartoon, flickering in the screen as characters lope by with a double-bounce walk and rubber-hose animation.

Love the resonator!

Then again, picking any part out in particular means ignoring some other part.

So I'll just cheat and say it's all excellent.

And it's not really cheating if it's true, is it? laugh

We always get a kick outa the toons of that era! No it’s not cheating and we appreciate every word of it!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/18/21 12:03 PM
PB&J, The walk down turnaround is especially effective. I like that rest before the final note. The vocal is once again a master class in blues singing and the little call and response was inspired. The reso was perfect for the fills and the guitar solos were right on the money. Really good blues lyric and the mix is impeccable with everything in it’s own space and no crowding. It is obvious that you three are well versed in the blues, Tom
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Lyrics, production, vocals and guitar - in fact everything about this - absolutely first class. Great stuff. And a nice cover pic. Hope you watched your step on what looks like a slippery edge there, Janice.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon ... we are glad it all worked for you. And I could've used a couple of photos of us riding our mountain bikes on those same boulders Janice is on but that would likely confirm what many suspect ... that we are nuts!

Thanks again,

J&B
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
A winner all the way around.
Smooth easy mix, love the dobro and of course, what's a song without great vocals.

A tasty treat!

moto

Thanks Cap’n!

J&B
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/20/21 10:09 AM
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

I was away from the forum for a while so I knew I missed a lot of good songs.
I'm trying to listen to all songs I missed and your song was the first in line.
And that was no mistake! It is very good and had a bit the mood I was in lately; a bit shuffeling through the days.
I can repeat and or join easily all the compliments given by all others . That is the nicest art of being a bit late (...)
But suffice it to say; I like this very nice 'tiring song',

Hans
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Janice & Bud,

I am always happy after listening to your compositions. The rhythm and the vocal are always well done. Janice is always so expressive and I could see her on video (super well done between us). Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks. It’s always good to make someone happy.

We’re glad you liked it!

J&B
See what happens when you don't pay attention for a few days?

You miss gems like this.

Pretty sweet excursion into the blues. Loved the walk down turnaround, the bgv, the guitar playing, the punch in the mix and of course, Janice's sultry style of singing.
Slinky and undulating. Whoa, the band is absolutely awesome, which I think is owed to Peter's hand. Love that walk down. Vocal performance is primo---I don't expect anything less.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I love the blues and you three have mastered the genre.
Janice sings so well
Peter is an outstanding profession guitarist.
Bub is the perfect producer and mastering engineer.

You are every bit as good as those on Alligator's Blues roster and the songs on blues radio.

Thanks Mario. Seems like folks either get the blues or they don’t w/o much room in between. Appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/22/21 06:08 PM
Thanks to all those who commented on my guitar parts.
It is of course a privilege and lot's of fun to play on these tracks.

Peter
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Really good production. Vocals and lead guitar during break are great. Lyrics are the big attraction on this one. Well written tune. Another good one gang!

Thanks for listening and glad you like the lyric!

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Damn Good Music.

What more needs sayin'?

An excellent Blues write. Start to finish...
"So many problems, oh, I need a little distance
Gonna try that ole path of least resistance"
Nice!!

Perfect BAND (As always).
Great mix (As always).
Killer Vocal (As always).

Peter's guitar and dobro - excellent.

This one sounds like a classic. Right off the bat.

fj

We hugely appreciated all the positive remarks AND it is extra special to have you quote a lyric. Thanks a LOT!

J&B
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 03/24/21 03:59 PM
Hi great collab super vocal love that bass oh yeah!!great job on guitar licks super engaging eric
Janice, Bud and Peter,

Super vocals and harmonies!
The piano and Peter's resonator guitar played throughout are very comfortable.
The accompaniment that goes down in semitones is really cool.
The mix is also great as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love the turnaround intro to the song. Loved Peters guitar work on the song. Dobro was excellent and his solo was superb. Awesome vocal and call back harmonies Janice. Excellent production on the song. Well done.

Thanks Scott. I stole that turnaround from a song we posted in 2017. I can't remember where I originally stole it from smile

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: musician17
Ooh yeah. That's the way to make my eardrums purr. Love it completely - this kinda of blues just hits the spot. Janice's voice, Peter's guitar ... Bud's production skills ... that's how it's done. Janice sounds at her absolute best here ... more, please! And Peter is just heaven - whereas Bud is a little more laid back, but it wouldn't be the same end product without him. That's the way, folks ... you please carry on, I'm just going to stretch and lie down somewhere round here, so I can hear more of your superb tracks. Thank you :-)

You are very generous with those positive comments and they put a huge smile on Janice’s face!

Thank you very much for the support.

J&B
This song has a strong heartbeat! Man, it just has such an awesome chug to it. Strengthening the snare the way you did, is helping frame an already really nice groove.

Janice's vocals, as usual, are everything to write home about. I've never heard that phrase before; but it popped in my head...so I'm running with it. The fact that it never popped in my head until now, must be saying something! wink

We've all heard of auto-tune. I'm coining the term "Janice-Tune." That's when a voice is talented enough to be able to play with a melody by dancing around the scale so effortlessly in a way no machine could even begin to "understand" or map. THIS is everything that is human and authentic about her vocals. It's the human connection that I don't hear enough from others. I know a lot of singers; but she IS the song.

Peter's guitar-Wow! You have all of the meat and potatoes; but those spices you are seasoning with show the workings of a master chef. I Especially like the Solo with more of those "spices" thrown in between your main phrasing. Interesting, complimentary tones; but contrasting enough to add variety. Peter, you knocked it out of the park. That solo section sounds, to me, like a great lead singer with those exception background vocalists as well. I'm just floored by how good this is.

Mix-Oooo...I like this mix! Again, I can hear everything! However, nothing is competing against anything in the mix. NOT easy to do. It sounds effortless, which means, someone took some time on this mix right now, AND the years leading up to this mix. wink It is mixed with the ears of a seasoned and learned student of the craft. I know I mentioned the grove already, and part of it is constructing it instrument/sample wise. But just as big of, if not bigger, part is mixing that to work. And man does it work! Kudos for making that what it is. An in the pocket, confident, drummer sitting back there, laying it down for the band. (Hey, I still see the band in every cut you three do.) Lastly, a quick tip of the hat to the cymbal sound. They have that non-abrasive sheen sound to them. As strange as this will sound, cymbals are typically an abrupt interruption to what otherwise is a flowing piece of music. Have you ever noticed when something sticks out to much in a drum loop, it's that damn crash cymbal? Yeah...there's non of that here. In fact, these cymbals kind of sound almost "pretty." I dig that sound! You got it!

Lyrics-simple lyrics that are not at all simple to write. Nice rhymes with clever writing to make them not so ​common. Well done lead up content does that so well!

So many problems, oh, I need a little distance
Gonna try that ole path of least resistance

Album art-Brilliant! I honestly thought it would have a smokey look to it. Instead, it's someone standing literally on the edge! Obviously someone that has been doing some walking; with the walking stick in hand. In the woods...getting that much needed distance. You checked so many boxes with this. So cool!

I guess one big advantage of all of this online music stuff is even if someone comes to a thread late, they still can hear such wonderful works whenever they are able to. "Someone" and "they" being me. smile

So overall, yeah it was "ok." Ha! I'm sure you can tell I REALLY. REALLY enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing it.

-C

(Speech to text with no editing)
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Team,
Such a nice swinging tune!
Glad I found a time to listen to it in quiet setting. Totally love it. Amazing drive! Melody, vocals, guitars, arrangement everything works so well. There is nothing I would take out, nor add. A refreshing blues tune. Bud, super clear and full mix! I am a big fan of your art & skill. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha, thanks for all and Bud very much appreciates your mix comments.

J&B

Originally Posted By: rayc
I thought I'd commented on this but have discovered I hadn't. Perhaps it was because I'd been listening via a fb link.
This has a really cool "live" vibe with the snare leading the saunter.
Peter's playing is perfect for the song. The descending riff is an excellent tag/hook too.
The vocals have the weary from walking edge to them that sells the song.

Thank you Ray. Glad you liked the added snare and pleased that you connected with the vibe we were hoping to achieve!

J&B
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sounds great! You two are the blues masters!

smile

Hey, I have noticed a lot of people on the forum are singing the blues.

Is there something going on in the world that I missed?? Why isn't everywhere super happy?????? I really haven't been outside my room for an entire year or watched any news at all. My Internet has been down as well. Did something happen while I was gone??

smile smile smile Not sure David. We’ve been settled down here on the homestead but heard a few rumors. Glad you like a little blues!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice, Bud and Peter:

Another total winner. Lyrics really make this one for me, but everything is just top notch, and that lead solo slays. Hard to add to the accolades above—just some steaming blues. Hot!

Keep up the great work!

My best to you all,

Deej

Thanks and mentioning the lyric is appreciated!

J&B
Originally Posted By: tommyad
PB&J, The walk down turnaround is especially effective. I like that rest before the final note. The vocal is once again a master class in blues singing and the little call and response was inspired. The reso was perfect for the fills and the guitar solos were right on the money. Really good blues lyric and the mix is impeccable with everything in it’s own space and no crowding. It is obvious that you three are well versed in the blues, Tom

Thanks Tom! I stole the walk down from a song we did three years ago. I can’t remember where I originally stole it from for that song!

Coming from a real blues man your comments are very special and thanks for mentioning the lyric. Janice is happy you liked her vocal arrangement. All Is much appreciated.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

I was away from the forum for a while so I knew I missed a lot of good songs.
I'm trying to listen to all songs I missed and your song was the first in line.
And that was no mistake! It is very good and had a bit the mood I was in lately; a bit shuffeling through the days.
I can repeat and or join easily all the compliments given by all others . That is the nicest art of being a bit late (...)
But suffice it to say; I like this very nice 'tiring song',

Hans

Thanks Han. Hope you aren’t still tired smile

J&B

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
See what happens when you don't pay attention for a few days?

You miss gems like this.

Pretty sweet excursion into the blues. Loved the walk down turnaround, the bgv, the guitar playing, the punch in the mix and of course, Janice's sultry style of singing.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the blues excursion!
J&B
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Slinky and undulating. Whoa, the band is absolutely awesome, which I think is owed to Peter's hand. Love that walk down. Vocal performance is primo---I don't expect anything less.

Thanks for the listen and the great comments. Yes, Peter did some fine work on this. Most appreciated!

J&B

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi great collab super vocal love that bass oh yeah!!great job on guitar licks super engaging eric

Thanks Eric!

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Janice, Bud and Peter,

Super vocals and harmonies!
The piano and Peter's resonator guitar played throughout are very comfortable.
The accompaniment that goes down in semitones is really cool.
The mix is also great as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki!!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: Edge Walkin' (feat. Peter on guitars) - 04/01/21 09:23 AM
Janice, Peter & Bud - you all have cornered the market on the blues! Really excellent work - vocals, guitar and production.

It's always a treat to hear something new from this team!

Bob
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
This song has a strong heartbeat! Man, it just has such an awesome chug to it. Strengthening the snare the way you did, is helping frame an already really nice groove.

Janice's vocals, as usual, are everything to write home about. I've never heard that phrase before; but it popped in my head...so I'm running with it. The fact that it never popped in my head until now, must be saying something! wink

We've all heard of auto-tune. I'm coining the term "Janice-Tune." That's when a voice is talented enough to be able to play with a melody by dancing around the scale so effortlessly in a way no machine could even begin to "understand" or map. THIS is everything that is human and authentic about her vocals. It's the human connection that I don't hear enough from others. I know a lot of singers; but she IS the song.

Peter's guitar-Wow! You have all of the meat and potatoes; but those spices you are seasoning with show the workings of a master chef. I Especially like the Solo with more of those "spices" thrown in between your main phrasing. Interesting, complimentary tones; but contrasting enough to add variety. Peter, you knocked it out of the park. That solo section sounds, to me, like a great lead singer with those exception background vocalists as well. I'm just floored by how good this is.

Mix-Oooo...I like this mix! Again, I can hear everything! However, nothing is competing against anything in the mix. NOT easy to do. It sounds effortless, which means, someone took some time on this mix right now, AND the years leading up to this mix. wink It is mixed with the ears of a seasoned and learned student of the craft. I know I mentioned the grove already, and part of it is constructing it instrument/sample wise. But just as big of, if not bigger, part is mixing that to work. And man does it work! Kudos for making that what it is. An in the pocket, confident, drummer sitting back there, laying it down for the band. (Hey, I still see the band in every cut you three do.) Lastly, a quick tip of the hat to the cymbal sound. They have that non-abrasive sheen sound to them. As strange as this will sound, cymbals are typically an abrupt interruption to what otherwise is a flowing piece of music. Have you ever noticed when something sticks out to much in a drum loop, it's that damn crash cymbal? Yeah...there's non of that here. In fact, these cymbals kind of sound almost "pretty." I dig that sound! You got it!

Lyrics-simple lyrics that are not at all simple to write. Nice rhymes with clever writing to make them not so ​common. Well done lead up content does that so well!

So many problems, oh, I need a little distance
Gonna try that ole path of least resistance

Album art-Brilliant! I honestly thought it would have a smokey look to it. Instead, it's someone standing literally on the edge! Obviously someone that has been doing some walking; with the walking stick in hand. In the woods...getting that much needed distance. You checked so many boxes with this. So cool!

I guess one big advantage of all of this online music stuff is even if someone comes to a thread late, they still can hear such wonderful works whenever they are able to. "Someone" and "they" being me. smile

So overall, yeah it was "ok." Ha! I'm sure you can tell I REALLY. REALLY enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing it.

-C

(Speech to text with no editing)

Man, I don't even know where to begin. I'm aware of your cred so EVERY word you wrote is very special. It's very cool that you get Janice's style of "making it up as she goes" singing. And, yeah, she'd probably blow up a pitch editor if I ever opened one up on her vocal.

As a drummer your comments on the drums made us feel that the cutting/pasting thing does enhance them. Thank you. And hey that cymbal was sent to me by Peter and I've used it on about every song since!

You are in the production bizness so the mix comments are hugely appreciated.

Peter has a knack for not only playing cool solos but also working closely with vocals. Something that often goes under appreciated so on his behalf and hours another THANKS.

And thanks for making all this production thing seem worthwhile!

J&B
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Peter & Bud - you all have cornered the market on the blues! Really excellent work - vocals, guitar and production.

It's always a treat to hear something new from this team!

Bob

Thanks for all. Great to see you back around!

J&B
Man, I could listen to that all night long, what a great song.
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Man, I could listen to that all night long, what a great song.

Thank you Ronnie!

J&B
Soooooooo SWEET, Sooooooooo Bluesy, Sooooooooo well played and sung!!! Love that heavy sound in the drums. Everything about this is PERFECT!!!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums