PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 03:11 AM
Eternal Midnight

A very slow, edgy guitar instrumental in 3/4 time with a touch of Blues in a cinematic setting.

First, my apologies to those folks who commented on my previous song but to whom I did not reply. There are numerous reason with which I won't bore you. Also, I didn't want to bring to the first page, again, a song that was buried almost three pages deep.

I promise not to write such a long intro narrative in the future. Just wanted to fill in the newer members of why my wife no longer sings and how her medical issues influence some of my writing.

For those interested: Most of the folks who have been members of the forum for a while are aware of my wife's serious medical issues. Briefly for those who are not aware, she is in constant severe pain, even after medication and rest and has numerous other significant medical concerns that can be life-threatening. She has bone spurs in all but two of her vertebrae and needs both hips replaced. Plus she had a massive stroke several years ago. Her health is too fragile for the hip replacements.

She and I were talking about her incessant pain a couple of weeks ago. She takes substantial amounts of pain medication throughout the day, plus fairly heavy doses of Ambien and Tizanidine so she can sleep at night. She also has severe Restless Leg Syndrome that kick her out of bed and onto the floor several times per month. She has injured herself by kicking herself in the chin and and banging her legs against the night table and bed footboard. She always awakens between midnight and 1:00 AM in agonizing pain and requires another dose of pain relievers. She takes 11 pills and two injections in her stomach daily plus two other meds twice daily. When she wakes up around midnight, she calls it her "never-ending midnight nightmare". Thus the genesis of the song title

The drums represent the ever-present physical pain, which spikes several times daily/nightly. The guitar in the verses indicates the near-torturous, chronic pain she lives with until the nightly meds kick in. The more mellow chord pattern of the choruses represent her sleeping hours, in which her discomfort is masked by the meds. The bass equals the perpetual throbbing from her pain in both her head and her body.

File:Eternal Midnight.SGU

Key=E , Tempo 45, Length (m:s)=3:33

Style is _MORTALS.STY (Mortals Soul Pop Soloist)

RealTracks in style: ~1178:Bass, Electric, PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3088:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm AmericanaSlow128Mike Sw 040
RealTracks in style: 3722:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopSoulHeldSlow128Brent Sw 040
RealTracks in style: 3723:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopSoulGritSlow128Brent Sw 040
RealDrums [in style:AmericanaSlow128^06-a:Kick Snare, b:Ride Snare

I swapped out the indigenous bass and drum tracks for a more dynamic sound. All other instruments are the original RTs in the Song Style. I wrote a mostly new chord pattern. With a little coaching from me, BIAB worked its usual magic.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 04:06 AM
Well! That was captivating.
Very well done Maestro.
Rob4580
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 05:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Well! That was captivating.
Very well done Maestro.
Rob4580

Hi Rob ...

Thank you so much. "Captivating" is a really nice comment that I appreciate. I like it!!!

Wishing you the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 09:48 AM
Certainly the most important thing received from this delivery is the care and awareness of Di's unrelenting pain.

Franky you have captured the realism of that torture in your composition. I wish you didn't need to do that.

Nevertheless, another quality production.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 09:48 AM
I can sympathise with some of those issues in my wife's continuing problems.
This though, is a pleasant tune with a good mix all round, Al.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 10:34 AM
Alan, this is so extraordinarily emotional. It's not often listeners can hear the heart of the player, but, man, this tune is dripping with tears. My heart goes out to you both, and I thank you both for your beautiful inspiration.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 03:45 PM
Alan,

Wishing & hoping Di finds some relief and some moments of peace...

"Eternal Midnight" is a truly Outstanding piece of music. Perfect in every way. As good as it gets.

fj
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 07:29 PM
Hi Alan,

Very nice - and emotional touching - track. I liked it a lot.

I'm very sorry to hear about all the pain your wife is going through. I wish you both all the best!

Thanks for sharing this very nice piece of music!

Will
Posted By: gruverider Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 07:55 PM
Man that was excellent on every level! Just amazing that all of that came from BIAB. It reminds me very much of Joe Satriani's slower stuff. And your mix is top notch!

You are both in my prayers always.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Certainly the most important thing received from this delivery is the care and awareness of Di's unrelenting pain.

Franky you have captured the realism of that torture in your composition. I wish you didn't need to do that.

Alan, I think VideoTrack has expressed what many will feel listening to this and reading your description! You did such a lovely job putting this together! This exudes deep emotion with the pauses you inserted being so effective in putting into musical form the struggle you both have gone through! My best wishes and prayers for you both! Take care, T
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:03 PM
A very strong and touching production.

Totally captivated from the get go.

A masterful all Biab project...simply amazing.

Our very best to you both and hopes for more peaceful times for Diane.

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:31 PM

Thank you very much, VT. I appreciate those very kind words for both my wife and the music. She just went to bed a few minutes ago. I'll pass on your words to her - a little after midnight. Again, thank you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
I can sympathise with some of those issues in my wife's continuing problems.
This though, is a pleasant tune with a good mix all round, Al.

Vic

HI Vic ...

I'm glad this resonated with you. Di and I will keep you and your wife in our prayers. Wishing both of you the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Alan, this is so extraordinarily emotional. It's not often listeners can hear the heart of the player, but, man, this tune is dripping with tears. My heart goes out to you both, and I thank you both for your beautiful inspiration.

HI Marty ...

Your kindness is equaled only by your skill to write and perform extraordinarily great music. You comments touched me very much. Wishing you and yours the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

Wishing & hoping Di finds some relief and some moments of peace...

"Eternal Midnight" is a truly Outstanding piece of music. Perfect in every way. As good as it gets.

fj

Floyd,

Many sincere thanks for your perpetual support and kindness. I'm delighted the music pleases you - that's always a big feather in my hat! And I appreciate you letting me know. Wishing you and Deb the very best. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Alan,

Very nice - and emotional touching - track. I liked it a lot.

I'm very sorry to hear about all the pain your wife is going through. I wish you both all the best!

Thanks for sharing this very nice piece of music!

Will

Hi Will ...

Thanks so very much. I'm happy to hear that our music is a good listen for you. We appreciate your kind wished for Di. Best to you & yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Man that was excellent on every level! Just amazing that all of that came from BIAB. It reminds me very much of Joe Satriani's slower stuff. And your mix is top notch!

You are both in my prayers always.

Lawrence,

I'm a big Satriani fan. When I listen to his music I always feel something that makes me think he and Carlos Santana, or maybe even Gary Moore, got together and produced it. So, your comment put a big smile on my face! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and very nice well wishes and prayers for Di. And we wish you the very best in return. please take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Alan, I think VideoTrack has expressed what many will feel listening to this and reading your description! You did such a lovely job putting this together! This exudes deep emotion with the pauses you inserted being so effective in putting into musical form the struggle you both have gone through! My best wishes and prayers for you both! Take care, T

Hi Torrey ...

Sometimes it's very difficult to conv ey emotions and thoughts in music in a manner that really says what you feel. I am delighted beyond explanation that you felt what I was trying to say with music. Thank you so very much. And prayers are always appreciated. Wishing you and yours everything good. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
A very strong and touching production.

Totally captivated from the get go.

A masterful all Biab project...simply amazing.

Our very best to you both and hopes for more peaceful times for Diane.

J&B

Hi Guys!

The way I composed this was with the intention of conveying a powerful but sad emotion. Captivation, in my opinion, is a description a composer should relish. Thank you so much for that comment. BIAB deserves a lot of the credit for the way this turned out. A craftsman, in all endeavors, is only as good as his tools allow him to be. BIAB is a marvelous tool to convey almost any emotion so superbly in the language of music. BIAB and my guitar are the only tools I have. They allow me to do my best work, however skillful that might be. And the many comments and support of the various Forum members provide the inspiration and emotional environment in which to hone the application of the tools. Many thanks. Wishing you both nothing but the best.

Alan
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 10:26 PM
You are a Rock Alan.
I am deeply saddened to learn the state of Di's health .
Thankyou Alan for creating this emotional and beautiful piece.
I personally have greatly benefited from your generous support here in my limited time on this forum which I very much appreciate.
Highest Regards
Gary.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/11/21 11:43 PM
Hi, Alan.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with long narratives. (This coming from the guy who writes novels every time he posts).

I'm glad you're able to find some good from Di's pain.

I have a lot of difficulty believing this is all BiaB. Because - no exaggeration - it's that good. It feels musical and organic.

So, wow. smile

But... (because I have to ask) is there supposed to be a lead guitar playing really, really quietly from 0:11 to 0:19?

I only ask because this list literally my fourth of fifth time listening through, and noticed it.

And I'm still no less impressed that the first time.

As you wrote, "It's strong and powerful with an edgy, emotional draw."

Wow.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/12/21 01:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
You are a Rock Alan.
I am deeply saddened to learn the state of Di's health .
Thankyou Alan for creating this emotional and beautiful piece.
I personally have greatly benefited from your generous support here in my limited time on this forum which I very much appreciate.
Highest Regards
Gary.

Gary ...

Many thanks for all you wrote. Di's health has always been fragile, but at almost 75 years old (I'll be 74 on the 22nd of this month), her body's ability to fight off her numerous medical issues is extremely weakened. But, she gives it her best and manages to find a way to get through each day. She has been doing somewhat better the past week or so. It's not much but we welcome and are thankful for any respite she might enjoy.

I always try to find something exceptional in every post I listen to and point it out - from my listening POV.. But, I don't have to look far when I listen to one of your cuts. You are pro-sounding all the way. It's quite easy to write supportive and kind comments about your music. I'm glad, as are may other forum members, that you're here.

Wishing you the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/12/21 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Alan.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with long narratives. (This coming from the guy who writes novels every time he posts).

I'm glad you're able to find some good from Di's pain.

I have a lot of difficulty believing this is all BiaB. Because - no exaggeration - it's that good. It feels musical and organic.

So, wow. smile

But... (because I have to ask) is there supposed to be a lead guitar playing really, really quietly from 0:11 to 0:19?

I only ask because this list literally my fourth of fifth time listening through, and noticed it.

And I'm still no less impressed that the first time.

As you wrote, "It's strong and powerful with an edgy, emotional draw."

Wow.

David,

As you probably know, it's been only since the middle of last month that I've posted my thought processes on how and why I do the things I do with my music. Several folks asked for more of that, so I've tried to oblige. I'm delighted you enjoy the info.

Sometimes I wonder if some folks think I'm just whining about Di's health and the all the responsibilities I have because of it. I hope that's not the case. But sometimes I do wonder. That's certainly not the intention.

And for the record, I read every word you write as I'm quite impressed with your knowledge of music creation and theory. I have no knowledge of music theory. I just do what I do by "feel" and hope others might like it. But one caveat in my bag of tricks ... I do have a very good understanding of chords and how to use them. It's not from training or knowledge ... it's just instinctive feel.

Indeed, it's all BIAB. I do not use a DAW, unless you want to define Audacity as such. Everything I post is straight from the chord input page, saved to Audacity as a final stereo mixdown from the Chord Input Page in BIAB and then save the final recording from Audacity to a file. I don't send stems to Audacity ... just my final "manipulations" in "Bar Settings" and "Song Settings". I do all my panning, reverb and volume "mixing" using those two setting capabilities. I send a single WAV file to Audacity and adjust a little compression at times and, perhaps, a slight bit of overall tone adjustment.

I haven't the faintest idea how to use a "real" DAW - have tried multiple times but they're above my ability to decipher. I have a very technical college degree (Physics With An Emphasis On The Physics Of Light), so I'm not totally without reasonable intelligence (No one has suggested I am, BTW, except a former wife). But the real DAWs all assume the user has at least a very basic knowledge of musical recording. I have none whatsoever. So, I just wing it in BIAB and Audacity. Sometimes something good comes of it!

I have no idea how to bring 3rd party software into BIAB ... such as VSTs. I would love to be able to do that, but it's just beyond me. I do, however, use the BIAB indigenous VSTs.

As far as the very low-volume lead guitar :11 thru :19 - I noticed it as I was finishing up in Audacity. Di listened to it after I told her I was going to take it out. She said "Don't. Because even when I'm at my best with the least amount of pain, there's always underlying pain. Let that represent that pain, as it never goes away." So, that's what I did. I guess I should have mentioned that in my narrative. Some day you'll be old and understand about forgetfulness!

Every post I've created in this forum has been created as I mentioned above.

And many thanks for your very kind and supportive comments - on this song and all my other music. I sincerely appreciate it. And never pass up an opportunity to suggest what I might be able to do in order to improve my music. I've been in the music business since 1963 - my skin is tougher than kryptonite!

Again, many thanks. BTW, I used to live in Bakersfield, CA. Only been to Sacramento once - in 1994. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/12/21 11:51 AM
Nice.

That smokey tone that Brent has going there is very reminiscent of Steve Vai in so many ways....I just love it. Nice work and a great choice of tracks.
Posted By: BryMusic Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/12/21 12:29 PM
Heartfelt

With a very spot-on title given the tough, sad situation you describe.

I'm with dcuny, I like reading long-winded back stories of how songs came to be.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/12/21 04:39 PM
Hi Al-David,

I really enjoyed this soundtrack. I clarified it on soundcloud. Playing the guitar sends us a message of optimism about the difficult times to spend with our loved ones. It is a very beautiful composition full of love and I thank you for your instrumental message.

Love yourself like the first day. This state of thought often works miracles.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/12/21 05:00 PM
Powerful message in that piece. Quite compelling.

I hope having the ability to express such strong feelings with your music is, in some way, therapeutic.

I'm saddened to hear of the terrible situation that has consumed Di's life.
I'm certain your love and support is expressed in ways that only you two will know but, your music and your writings give the rest of us a glimpse into your passion.

You are an inspiration.

Moto

Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/13/21 06:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice.

That smokey tone that Brent has going there is very reminiscent of Steve Vai in so many ways....I just love it. Nice work and a great choice of tracks.

Hi Herb ...

Yeah, Brent kinda knows his way around those 6 strings! He's not too shabby. Man, I'd nearly forgotten about Steve Vai. I don't think he uses quite as much distortion and other FXs, but he has enough for a great effect. I like his Progressive Rock/Jazz Rock stuff a lot. Thanks for the great reminder! Glad ya liked my song. I appreciate your time and nice comments. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/13/21 06:30 AM
Originally Posted By: BryMusic
Heartfelt

With a very spot-on title given the tough, sad situation you describe.

I'm with dcuny, I like reading long-winded back stories of how songs came to be.

Good Early Morning! It's 3:30 am here in Alabama. Thank you very much for your very nice comments. I appreciate them - sincerely. I guess other folks here have an interest in how some of the other folks put their music together. I just wing it and hope something good happens once in a while. Di and I deal with what life has thrown our way. It's a struggle sometimes, but ... we persevere. Again, many thanks for your kindness. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/13/21 08:59 AM
Alan,

Just a wonderful piece of music! That guitar is just dripping with emotion. Great arrangement and mix.

Very sorry to hear about Diane's ongoing health issues and wish both of you nothing but the best.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/13/21 08:03 PM
So incredibly sad to hear of your wife's ordeal. Praying, if prayer at all helps, for better days for her.

The piece is stunning. Somehow, that guitar just speaks and tells a story. Thank you for creating this, it's a genuinely amazing listen. I am going to say no more, because it really brings me to silence - in the best of ways, and that's the best I can say here.
Posted By: firesong Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/16/21 11:03 AM
Alan
I love this piece...your guitar doesn't "gently weep" here but it powerfully weeps...very emotional and exquisite...my wife suffers with some of the things you shared about yours and for years with cluster migraines...I can empathize...at our house there is no normal...nothing gets scheduled that cannot be canceled at the last minute so I appreciate you sharing what you did...now when I see your faces on the forum I will pray for you all...thanks for your encouraging comments when I post...this is a very cool song...best regards, Dan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/18/21 04:22 PM
Another wonderful instrumental Alan!! I'm going to have to check out that band when I get my new version!! Give my best to Di! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/19/21 01:54 AM
Without the back story this is clearly an emotive piece.
With the back story it's heart breaking.
I bet it hurt to make as you had to channel through your empathy.
The delay on the guitar is perfect.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/25/21 04:08 AM
Alan,

Very strong and touching.
I don't think there are many people in this forum who use RT guitar solos as good as you.
Rather, I think that you are the best.
I am impressed whenever I listen to your work.
Enjoyed my listen a lot this time again.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/25/21 01:42 PM
Hi Alan and Di,

What is nicer than making so nice music?
Especially when sorrow and pain crosses your path for so long.
Creating beautiful music!
And that is what you did; you made a wonderful song, so nice to listen too, eventhough there a no words in it...
Di must love it, I do!

Send her my love,
Hans
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/25/21 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Al-David,

I really enjoyed this soundtrack. I clarified it on soundcloud. Playing the guitar sends us a message of optimism about the difficult times to spend with our loved ones. It is a very beautiful composition full of love and I thank you for your instrumental message.

Love yourself like the first day. This state of thought often works miracles.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi Derochette ...

Thasnk you so much for such a nice review. I sincerely appreciate it! Wishinbg youoo the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/25/21 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Powerful message in that piece. Quite compelling.

I hope having the ability to express such strong feelings with your music is, in some way, therapeutic.

I'm saddened to hear of the terrible situation that has consumed Di's life.
I'm certain your love and support is expressed in ways that only you two will know but, your music and your writings give the rest of us a glimpse into your passion.

You are an inspiration.

Moto

Nice to hear from you, as always. And yes, music is cathartic in numerous ways .... both composing and listening. It's a language unto itself and is understood world-wide.

Thank you for the kind thoughts regarding Di's health. And yes, my first passion is her. Then music, then writing my novels.

Again, many thanks for the kindness and your time to listen and comment. Best to you. Stay safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/25/21 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Alan,

Just a wonderful piece of music! That guitar is just dripping with emotion. Great arrangement and mix.

Very sorry to hear about Diane's ongoing health issues and wish both of you nothing but the best.

HI Dave ...

I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen. And that lead guitar track was such a perfect fit. I was lucky to "discover" it! Many thanks for Di's well-wishes ... and for your time to listen and reply so very nicely. wishing you the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Eternal Midnight - 03/27/21 12:28 PM
Beautiful song Alan. Love the guitar solo on this. So very well done. Best wishes to you and Di
© PG Music Forums