PG Music Home
Now for something completely different --for me anyway. Here is a song written a long time ago and once recorded in Nashville with some incredible Nashville cats. My long-time friend and fellow BiaB user Zydecoal Bill Davis recently added another pedal steel guitar to his staggering arsenal of music weaponry in his studio, so I dug this out and revived and revised an old BiaB file, and Bill did two tracks of pedal for the background and solo.

Look Like That on SoundCloud
Look Like That on YouTube

Style is _FAMOUS.STY (Famous Hard-Hitting Country Rock)

Loop in Song: Drums\TambourineEv16
Loop in Song: Percussion Loops\Loop132bpm Tambourine Quarters 4 bars.wma
RealTracks in style: 2934:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkySync8thsFintan Ev 140
RealDrums [in style:RockClassicBritEv^3-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Loose HiHat
in Utility tracks: Piano 2763 and Electric guitar 384

Bill Davis --pedal steel
me --vocals and bass

Pasting the lyrics here would probably create a 2nd page for this post since each chorus is a bit different in the story. They are on SoundCloud. Thanks for all y'all do and I thoroughly appreciate your comments, especially your tricks for improving vocals.
Got me with hook right up front!

Fun and bouncy tune for my morning wake up.

Pedal steel addition was a great move, sounds very good.
Solid mix and the vocals sit just right.

I was afraid of where the lyrics might take me but, all's well that ends well !!

Well done.

moto
Wow, what a sound, from the start, it sounded like something on the radio. Well done!!
You got my toes tapping for sure! Romping fun!

and fabulous steel pedal playing!
Hi, Marty.

So many musical references! It's got a bit of a "Peggy Sue" vibe in places, and some early Beatles harmonies in other places. All good things to have!

The tambourine helps punch up the sound.

Love the vocal - upbeat and expressive. Growly in all the right places. Did I mention the harmonies? Lots of variations, love the "fall" in "do".

Great write - clever lyrics! laugh

As for the mix, it sounds excellent in headphones.

But... when I shift over to the simulated monitors on my phones from near to mid or far, the bass starts stepping on the other elements in the mix. Not sure how that translates to real speakers, though.

Really enjoyed this!
Loved this Marty. Very cool backtrack. Excellent vocal. The pedal steel was pretty cool as well. Well done
Hahahaha, yes!!! That's how love songs should be - should make one actually smile!!! A refreshing change from all the begging, bread-and-flowing-jam-pasty kind of love song, haha. Congratulations!!! And yes, what a vocal - has to be singled out for praise.
Marty,

This has that classic Country sound from years back! You seem to be able to move effortlessly between genres without missing a beat! Great job by everyone involved! It almost has a Buddy Holly does country thing going on here! Keep on rockin', T
Marty, this is a fun sounding track which seems a little different from your usual style. Great vocal and bass playing. Tell Bill I enjoyed his playing and to watch out for that pesky 7th string. He’ll know what I mean. Good one, Tom
Hi Marty.
Going with what others have commented it definitely takes me back to the classic days
when rock was young. Well written and enjoyable.

Vic
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto

I was afraid of where the lyrics might take me but, all's well that ends well !!
moto

Haha. I know what you mean, moto. Lyrics are definitely dated. This is a true story and we're living the last verse now.

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Wow, what a sound, from the start, it sounded like something on the radio. Well done!!

Thanks for the listen and comment, Ronnie. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: gruverider
You got my toes tapping for sure! Romping fun!
and fabulous steel pedal playing!

Thanks, gruverider. Bill is gonna love hearing that. He knows how good the BiaB guys are.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Marty.
It's got a bit of a "Peggy Sue" vibe in places, and some early Beatles harmonies in other places. All good things to have!

The tambourine helps punch up the sound.

Love the vocal - upbeat and expressive. Growly in all the right places. Did I mention the harmonies? Lots of variations, love the "fall" in "do".

Great write - clever lyrics! laugh

As for the mix, it sounds excellent in headphones.

But... when I shift over to the simulated monitors on my phones from near to mid or far, the bass starts stepping on the other elements in the mix. Not sure how that translates to real speakers, though.

Really enjoyed this!

Thanks so much, David. Love that Buddy Holly reference. Not sure about the bass in the headphones thing. I was worried that it sounds a bit too trebly. O' course, I am a bass player so there is often a bias in the mix. hehe
Hi Marty.
You are becoming one of my favourite vocalists - truely . You don't just sing the song, you bring the lyrics to life which makes for a much more interesting and enjoyable listening experience. Your friend did a fine job on the pedal steel.
This is a lively paced and entertaining production Marty.Well Done.
regards
Gary.
Marty & Z,

A fun one!

Nice job on bass and steel respectively. All blending well with the RealTracks. Mix sounds good.

The vocal is my favorite part of this. Great enthusiasm!! Punchy.

Enjoy.

fj
Marty,
Great fun, expertly played and sung like you were there ( by that I it mean sounds like one take & minimal processing which suits the song well).

Robert
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this Marty. Very cool backtrack. Excellent vocal. The pedal steel was pretty cool as well. Well done

Thanks, Scott. Your comments mean a lot to me.
Originally Posted By: musician17
Hahahaha, yes!!! That's how love songs should be - should make one actually smile!!! A refreshing change from all the begging, bread-and-flowing-jam-pasty kind of love song, haha. Congratulations!!! And yes, what a vocal - has to be singled out for praise.

Haha, thanks, James. So glad you appreciate the approach. Of course, I've done a bunch o' those other kind of love songs, the kind my wife prefers.
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty,
This has that classic Country sound from years back! You seem to be able to move effortlessly between genres without missing a beat! Great job by everyone involved! It almost has a Buddy Holly does country thing going on here! Keep on rockin', T
Thanks, Torrey. Love that Buddy Holly reference. He was from Lubbock so he did a lot of country before Elvis came to town. He followed those breadcrumbs to Memphis to meet Sam Phillips and the rest is history --sad that history only lasted until February 3rd, 1959.
Janice says the song gave her happy feet.

That is one of her higher compliments! smile

The vocal, steel and bass performances were standout.

The BGV's really added to the fun factor.

Wrapped in a good mix also!

And as always we enjoyed the vid photos.

J&B
Hi Babu Music,

I appreciated your composition but also your well done video. Everything is very pleasant and the mix impeccable. It's nice to have incorporated the lyrics into the video. Your voice comes out well at the right volume in the mix. Well done. I apprecied it.

Kindly regard
Take care of yourself

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Marty, you had me from the git-go. Super groove with a touch of Buddy Holly, loved it. Fantastic bass, vocals, and mix.
Posted By: rayc Re: Look Like That --(with Zydecoal Bill Davis) - 03/15/21 06:25 PM
This ticks along at a perfect foot tapping tempo.
Love the vocals particularly.
Very good song. Great hook line. Very well crafted song. Good use of BIAB too. Good job.
Crazy good lyric. Crazy how such a simple line can be turned to conjure up so many meanings/interpretation/smiles. The words "plausible deniability" come to mind.

I do think you got the verse order a little mixed up...I think verse three and two should swap. But I'm maybe still a little too tickled by the whole shebang to trust even my own opinions. The steel was a great, tasteful add to the BBand. Dude knows how to play a song. Hugely enjoyed.
Marty

I agree with Bud the vocal, steel and bass performances were standout. Some really nice playing throughout and it's a real foot tapper.

Excellent work all round.

Peter
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Marty, this is a fun sounding track which seems a little different from your usual style. Great vocal and bass playing. Tell Bill I enjoyed his playing and to watch out for that pesky 7th string. He’ll know what I mean. Good one, Tom

Haha. Thanks, Tom. For a minute there I thought you were saying I'm not usually fun. Yes, I will mention that to Bill. His biggest comment about his new pedal is that it has so many more things for his legs and feet to do.
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Marty.
Going with what others have commented it definitely takes me back to the classic days
when rock was young. Well written and enjoyable.
Vic

Ah, yes, Vic, the old days. I was born the year Fender came out with the first electric bass, which in some books was before rock 'n' roll. Thanks for your comment and listen.
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Marty.
You are becoming one of my favourite vocalists - truely . You don't just sing the song, you bring the lyrics to life which makes for a much more interesting and enjoyable listening experience. Your friend did a fine job on the pedal steel.
This is a lively paced and entertaining production Marty.Well Done.
regards
Gary.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Gary. Singing "I'll darken that gleam n your eye" was impossible to sing with any menace in my voice --the tongue in my cheek took over. haha. Thanks, Gary.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty & Z,

A fun one!

Nice job on bass and steel respectively. All blending well with the RealTracks. Mix sounds good.

The vocal is my favorite part of this. Great enthusiasm!! Punchy.

Enjoy.

fj

Thanks a lot, Floyd. Bill (Z) hasn't posted here much lately, but he definitely remembers you. Thanks for the listen.
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Marty,
Great fun, expertly played and sung like you were there ( by that I it mean sounds like one take & minimal processing which suits the song well).
Robert

Thanks, Robert. You're right about the one-take. I tried working with Melodyne on it, but missed the ol' pitchy me --which really means I don't know what I'm doing with it and needed to move on.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice says the song gave her happy feet.

That is one of her higher compliments! smile

The vocal, steel and bass performances were standout.

The BGV's really added to the fun factor.

Wrapped in a good mix also!

And as always we enjoyed the vid photos.

J&B

You guys make me smile broader every day. Thanks so much.
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Babu Music,

I appreciated your composition but also your well done video. Everything is very pleasant and the mix impeccable. It's nice to have incorporated the lyrics into the video. Your voice comes out well at the right volume in the mix. Well done. I apprecied it.

Kindly regard
Take care of yourself

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you for your warm comment, Derochette.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty, you had me from the git-go. Super groove with a touch of Buddy Holly, loved it. Fantastic bass, vocals, and mix.

Ah, you know I love the Buddy Holly reference, Mario. He would've cringed at it, but I'm grateful.
Originally Posted By: rayc
This ticks along at a perfect foot tapping tempo.
Love the vocals particularly.

Thanks, Ray, and so much more.
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very good song. Great hook line. Very well crafted song. Good use of BIAB too. Good job.

Thanks, jpt3. It means a lot to me.
Really fun song Marty!!! The vocal is perfect!!! The song as a great live feel to it! Great pedal steel part!! Truly a joy to listen to!!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums