PG Music Home
Hello fellow BIABers! Back around again, and the music gets better and better!!! Some amazing stuff I've been hearing here!! Thanks so much for the feedback on my last one. I read all of it but got busy and did not respond back to many of the wonderful comments......but know how much they were appreciated!! This song is based on an Al David instrumental with the same title. I wanted someone who could nail the vocal so I had a collaborator from England who is enormously talented sing it. He also played the lead guitar. Hope you like it. I'd LOVE to hear what you think. Will post track soon. Take care all. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/whenaheartcriesbosespotf

When a Heart Cries

The saddest sound you’ll ever hear
Is the sorrow locked inside a silent tear
From those sad eyes
As the dream dies
When a heart cries

It’s hard to let go of the hope
And there’s no useful way to cope
As the will sighs
As the dream dies
When a heart cries

There’s just a hole where something used to be
A shadow of what once you held so dear
And in place of what is lost (lyric change)
What’s left is just the cost
Of what has disappeared
Just like you feared

The deepest void you’ll ever feel
Is one the soul cannot conceal
Behind those sad eyes
As the dream dies
When a heart cries

And there’s no limit to the pain
A tender scar will still remain
On the inside
Where the dream died
When the heart cried

And there’s a hunger there that can’t be fed
A lonely longing lingers on
You just can’t fill that hole
In the bottom of your soul
With the bucketful of tears that will be shed
When a heart cries
Bluesy goodness Greg! It has such a sweet emotional feel to it! Great guitar playing and tone going on here! The vocal is excellent but I make no apology in saying that a Greg Johnson vocal would be just as good! (Greg, you are one of the top vocalists around here). It's a beautiful tune that you should be proud of! Take care, T
Superb writing, superb singing, superb playing, incredible lyrics. Reminds me of George Michael's slow songs a little (maybe "Jesus To A Child"?) ... but it's definitely you, not him. So beautiful in such a heartbreaking way. Congratulations to all involved.
My first thought was... "Dang, Greg certainly sounds different..." wink

Everything about this sounds top-notch.

The vocals, guitar, and entire production is excellent.

Lyrically excellent as well.

Personally, I'd have liked a rougher voice and a more up front vocal - only because I think the lyric seems more suited to that. As it is, the vocal is "pretty" - everything is lush and smooth, which is a bit at odds with the lyric.

But that's a personal choice.

Really nice! laugh
Man! Really good writing, Greg.

Vocal is excellent but I think you could have done it just as well as he did. Love the guitar work!

Just great track all around, just what I needed for my first listen of the day, well done all!
Greg, that’s a great write on top of Alan’s fine musical bed. Earl knocks it out of the park on vocal and guitar. Perfectly produced all around excellence,Tom
"(Greg, you are one of the top vocalists around here)" is an understatement because it took a top vocalist to run with you... As always, everything is perfectly matched and balanced. This is a superb write, arrangement, production and performance. Great team effort.
Great piece of writing and vocal.
Everything fits.

Vic
Oh, yes! I loved this song with Alan, and what an amazing version you've created, Greg. Such a good song with outstanding lyrics. Hey, you may remember how I gushed over your vocal ability when I first heard it? Well, you also have great taste in finding talent, too. Still, when it comes to vocals, my favs are still Harry Nilsson, Jason Mraz and you. Excellent song!!
Hi Greg.
Beautiful song , Great Vocals and excellent production but I am a wee bit perplexed :
"I wanted someone who could nail the vocal so I had a collaborator from England who is enormously talented sing it".
Why seek out a Chevy Camaro ZL1 when you readily have a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 parked in your driveway?
cheers
Gary.
At first I was wondering what you had done with your voice... absolutely great visiting singer, so enjoyable deep voice. The guitar soloing is perfect fit for the grieving mood. Sad touching lyrics, a hole to be sucked into. Al's original instrumental was already great and very high quality, but this collaboration raises it even higher. Great band. Reminds me another Al, Al Jarreau and also George Benson.

Janne
Greg ( and Alan and Earl),

GORGEOUS.

Stunning in every way.

Songwriting the way it is meant to be.
A gorgeous lyric. A gorgeous melody. Diane-Warren-but-better category.

Beautiful production.

One of the best Earl vocals I've heard. He nails it.
(but...like others, I'd love to hear YOU sing this).

As. Good. As. It. Gets.

fj
Wow. What an awesome song. Incredible vocal. Beautiful lyric and Alans playing and backtrack made such a special song. Well done
We were immediately taken back to a song we heard years
ago featuring Tom Jones and Jeff Beck.

That is one powerful emotive vocal and wonderful guitar.

The write is outstanding...the sentiment and rhymes are
stellar.

And thanks, Al, for the genesis.

J&B
The vocals remind me of the fellow who sang n played bass for Robin Trower with tasty licks too.
Lovely song well done to all.
Wow!!! Super vocal, top notch lyrics, and the song and mix are flawless! I am blown away!
Nothing left to add.
Mr. Webb is a fortunate man. Not only has he such great chops for this sad bluesy number, but he gets to sing such a well-wrought emotional lyric and melody. I envy him on both counts. Great back-bone to the piece and a really fine band and arrangement. Top drawer stuff that's left me a bit wrung-out. Fantastic.
Way to go everyone. Very cool song. The vocals are so rich and clear. That electric guitar playing is how I will be playing in my next life (too late for this one). Great mix. Great production. Congrats to all involved.
Greg

Excellent work by all involved and a great track to jam along with!

Sounds excellent,and well played and sung.

Peter
Hey Folks ...

I've looked in on this a couple of times since Greg posted it but didn't have enough time to comment. For now, I'll just thank everyone for listening and commenting. And ... Greg and Earl simply soared with this. Earl has a terrific voice and has some real chops on the guitar. And Greg's lyric is super awesome, like everything else he does.

This is one of my very favorite instrumentals I've written. Earl & Greg gave it some new life and let it soar even higher. So, my sincere thanks to both of them for their wonderful contributions.

I've never interacted with Earl personally. But Greg sure did pick a great vocalist to cover his words and my music. This is, I think, the 6th song Greg and I have collaborated on. He contacted me last fall and asked if I was okay with him putting a lyric to this and performing. Uh ... like I was gonna say no????!!!!

Again, thanks to all who have commented so nicely. And sincere appreciation and admiration to Greg and Earl for their superb work.

Wishing everyone the very best. Take care ...

Alan
Hi Greg,

This is an extraordinary song!!!

You've all done such a brilliant job. It's really great hearing Alan's instrumentals flowering into such mighty works. When I thought about you and Alan, just now, the phrase that appeared in my mind as a description of your music was, "The pen of a poet meets the music of a maestro."

Kudos to everyone involved.

This is songwriting at its very, very best.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Bluesy goodness Greg! It has such a sweet emotional feel to it! Great guitar playing and tone going on here! The vocal is excellent but I make no apology in saying that a Greg Johnson vocal would be just as good! (Greg, you are one of the top vocalists around here). It's a beautiful tune that you should be proud of! Take care, T

Thanks so much Torrey!! Yeah, the emotional feel of Alan's instrumental and the title made it feel like a song was asking to be written. Great to see you around lately!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: musician17
Superb writing, superb singing, superb playing, incredible lyrics. Reminds me of George Michael's slow songs a little (maybe "Jesus To A Child"?) ... but it's definitely you, not him. So beautiful in such a heartbreaking way. Congratulations to all involved.

Thanks so much James! Really appreciate your kind words!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: dcuny
My first thought was... "Dang, Greg certainly sounds different..." wink

Everything about this sounds top-notch.

The vocals, guitar, and entire production is excellent.

Lyrically excellent as well.

Personally, I'd have liked a rougher voice and a more up front vocal - only because I think the lyric seems more suited to that. As it is, the vocal is "pretty" - everything is lush and smooth, which is a bit at odds with the lyric.

But that's a personal choice.

Really nice! laugh

THanks David! I really love the way Earl delivered it! Just listened to your latest.....very nice!! Take care. Greg

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man! Really good writing, Greg.

Vocal is excellent but I think you could have done it just as well as he did. Love the guitar work!

Just great track all around, just what I needed for my first listen of the day, well done all!

Thanks Dave!! Yeah, I love what Earl brought to the song.....he's a monster talent!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Greg, that’s a great write on top of Alan’s fine musical bed. Earl knocks it out of the park on vocal and guitar. Perfectly produced all around excellence,Tom

Thanks so much Tom!! Really love seeing you around more often these days!! Take care. Greg
What do I think? I think this is absolutely one outstanding song! Super vocal and lead guitar combined with the perfect backing band and mix!

IMHO this is radio air play ready.
i really like this one!
great song, and lead guitar and vocal.

-rob
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
"(Greg, you are one of the top vocalists around here)" is an understatement because it took a top vocalist to run with you... As always, everything is perfectly matched and balanced. This is a superb write, arrangement, production and performance. Great team effort.

Thanks so much Charlie!! Don't see you around often these days and I miss hearing your stuff. Don't be a stranger. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Great piece of writing and vocal.
Everything fits.

Vic

Thanks so much Vic! Really enjoy your stuff!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yes! I loved this song with Alan, and what an amazing version you've created, Greg. Such a good song with outstanding lyrics. Hey, you may remember how I gushed over your vocal ability when I first heard it? Well, you also have great taste in finding talent, too. Still, when it comes to vocals, my favs are still Harry Nilsson, Jason Mraz and you. Excellent song!!

Thanks so much Marty for those very kind words!! Really appreciate them! FWIW, I love the way you sing too!! Take care. Greg
OH MY!
A winner fore sure.
Beautiful song, well written and performed.

Vocal is perfect!!!

One of the best I've heard here.

moto
Greg,

It sounds different from your usual song.
It's very bluesy overall.
It may be the main reason that a different vocalist sings it.
Great vocals.
The guitar is also very tasteful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Again, many thanks to all who have replied so kindly. My time here is very limited for another week or so. But, I'll answer everyone as I can.

And again, I'm in awe of Greg's lyric and Earl's vocal delivery. Best to everyone ...

Alan
Hi Greg,

Nice composition. Sad lyrics. I find that the voice has a timbre which lends itself perfectly to the lyrics. It's soft and wispy and pleases.Well done . And impeccable.
mix.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias
JaniJackFlash
Hi Greg, Alan and Earl

Like everyone before me I am also very impressed by this song, the vocals, the leadguitar... well everything and let's not forget the wonderful, but sad lyrics. All thumbs up here (just two, sadly enough), for the three of you! Man, I like it.

At the first sounds of your vocals came to me, I thought I heard the singing from Eric Clapton. You have definitly some link to his voice.
When will your next song will be here?

Hans

Sounds great y'all! Great performances by all and great writing!
Alan, Greg, Earl,
Amazing collaboration in all respects! Beauty from start to finish. A+ Loved it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Hi Greg wow really great song it moves the spirit super vocal great guitar phrases crisp mix love it thanks for sharing Eric
Your vocalist delivered an awesome performance and gave nuance to your your fine lyrics...although I am certain that you could have nailed the vocal too.
© PG Music Forums