PG Music Home
Posted By: Roger Brown Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 11:00 AM
This one is a hodge-podge of a bunch of realtracks that I cobbled together, plus a couple of virtual instruments that I added in Logic. Some of the tracks I used were funkslightswing drums, funk swing bass, swampyfunkjoe acoustic, congas, and funk organ.
Title track of an EP I just finished up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhblppSkdLA
Posted By: dcuny Re: Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 04:53 PM
For a hodge-podge, this certainly hangs together well. wink

Love the groove, and your voice is excellent. The arrangement is solid, and the mix is... well, I'm running out of adjectives.

I'll just say that it's pro all the way, and leave it at that. laugh
Posted By: mglinert Re: Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 06:10 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks a lot for sharing this one ...

Song
structurally very sound
I like songs which come out of the instrumental part and go to the bridge

Overall impression
The lyrics tell a good tale.
Enjoyable funky feel to the song throughout

Mix / Production
It’s a good song with a strong vocal. I feel the backing track may be a bit too busy – as if its trying to distract us from the vocal track.

Instrumentation
nice choices for the solo instruments – maybe the harmonica is a touch too raucous.

Vocals
Sung with conviction – laid back but expressive.

What I really liked
The vocals – really well delivered. Super accurate e.g. the big drop down to shame @ 1:56
The bridge section (lord it seems that the future …)
The structure
The solos – (and generally I’m not keen on them!)

What you might like to return to
One or two of the rhymes (name/change, ago/load,) but I know I am in the minority on this one.
Maybe there was an opportunity to build the sound up more gradually, say by introducing the organ only in V2.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 09:54 PM
Sometimes the best results can come from a "hodge-podge" approach! When it works, it works. The vocals hit in all the right places. Great job! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 10:10 PM
Well done indeed! I am confused how you managed to get ads on this video? I thought you need 1000 subscribers to moneytize? Or is this a cover song?

Will
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 10:10 PM
Cool song. Loved the absolute natural feel to the lyrics.

Great job
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: Five Dollars In Change - 03/19/21 10:40 PM
It's not a cover. I'm not sure about the ads, it's distributed by Smith Music (a digital distribution company), maybe because they handle so many artists/labels the ads are in place.
© PG Music Forums