PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/19/21 11:27 PM
An example of what can happen when you hand the intended jazz lead sheet over to the hillbillies by mistake crazy
The result turned out surprisingly pleasing, so I thought I'd share it all the same - Enjoy! cool

The HillbillyJazz

p.s. The melody (of this well known piece) has been omitted to avoid any potential copyright issues.

p.s.p.s. The style is _CONCERN (again, by mistake!) completely unedited and unchanged in any way, not even the mixing has been modified. And this is take one...of one!
Posted By: dcuny Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/20/21 02:21 AM
Pleasant listen.

PG Music makes these RT artists play over all sorts of chords and chord changes.

No reason you shouldn't find out how what gems are hidden inside these files. laugh
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/20/21 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
No reason you shouldn't find out how what gems are hidden inside these files. laugh
Especially when you're not even looking for it! A "happy accident" indeed, ta for the feedback cool

Funny thing is, even though the upload is new, this is something I apparently saved about a year ago - so by now I've long since forgotten what it was that I was actually looking for confused
Posted By: gruverider Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/21/21 01:09 PM
Sounds good right out of the box.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/22/21 01:51 PM
I liked this. Mix and matching these plugins and real tracks can produce some really cool music. Nicely done
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/22/21 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I liked this.
And that's good enough for me! smile

p.s. I didn't really "do" anything here, so that 'nicely done' ought to go to BBox rather than me.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/23/21 09:51 PM
A happy accident, indeed. Reminded me a bit of something Peter Ostroushko might have done. Nice.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/23/21 11:47 PM
Surprisingly pretty. I guess what is NOT surprising is that it should work so well even if one doesn't know the "back-story" Those bluegrass guys are usually equally proficient players as Jazz musicians...so...why not?
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/24/21 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
A happy accident, indeed. Reminded me a bit of something Peter Ostroushko might have done. Nice.
Note to self: Look that name up! cool
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/24/21 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Surprisingly pretty===so...why not?
I agree, on both fronts.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/24/21 01:16 PM
Melancholy.

moto
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/24/21 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Melancholy.
The essence of me right there or certainly of my music, I think you'll find. Is undoubtedly the core reason I kept this "accidental" thing in the first place.
Eddie,

Melancholy. Truly Melancholy.
I think the title of the intended jazz lead sheet is "The Falling Leaves".
It's a very characteristic chord progression, so I knew it immediately.
Unfortunately, I'm not so familiar with the music called hillbillies.
So maybe I couldn't understand exactly how wonderful this work was.
However, I enjoyed it enough.
Comfortable Mistake.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/26/21 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
I think the title of the intended jazz lead sheet is "The Falling Leaves". It's a very characteristic chord progression, so I knew it immediately.
Unfortunately, I'm not so familiar with the music called hillbillies.
"Autumn Leaves" is indeed the progression used there, quite right.
As for Hillbilly, I guess that's a pretty distinctive American thing/term which doesn't translate very well to other languages or cultures, so you are well excused there. The word is used more often for a certain kind (or group) of people rather than a particular type of music, I might add. Look it up on Wikipedia if you're interested.enough to find out more.

Appreciate you stopping by for a listen & comments.
Well that worked out.

As Janice said it sounds like something Jethro Burns or David Grisman
might have done.

Nice listen for us hillbillies who have jazz inclinations.

J&B
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/28/21 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
...sounds like something Jethro Burns or David Grisman
might have done.

More names for me to look up. So clearly that whole "jazzy hillbillies" is actually a thing, I never would've thought! crazy
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
...sounds like something Jethro Burns or David Grisman
might have done.

More names for me to look up. So clearly that whole "jazzy hillbillies" is actually a thing, I never would've thought! crazy

Jethro was half of a corny country duo but on the side he would record some jazzy mandolin work.

David Grisham is a genius who has been a progressive bluegrass mandolin player for decades. He established a sub genre called Dawg Music which is essentially jazz played with instruments one would expect from bluegrass.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/28/21 08:35 PM
This mistake produced pure magic didn't it! Nice mix.

If I could make a suggestion play a lead over this chord progression. Not Autumn Leaves but one you make up. Sometimes I will play the chords to a song, say Misty, and just jam over it. Its lots of fun.
Posted By: Icelander Re: The (accidentally) jazzy hillbillies - 03/28/21 09:14 PM
Making up a melody to pre-existing sheet, sure I've done that (especally the BBox RT demo sheets). Shamelessly shared a few of them as "mine" on here even! grin
© PG Music Forums