PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Sunset - 03/29/21 05:36 PM
Sunset

It is autumn and you are sitting at the water's edge listening to the waves roll in and watching the colorful leaves fall from the trees while the sun is setting.

BiaB Style = Michel 1 - Slow Pop Orchestral
Tempo = 80

EP = EZ Keys - Dream Machine - Seven Dimension. The keys and the chord progression are from ToonTrack.

BiaB tracks:
Bass = Kontakt - Amadeus - Bass Section
Piano = Kontakt - Purr Jazz Vibes
Guitar = Kontakt - Solid State Strings
Strings = Kontakt - Amedeus - Symphony
Drums = various Steven Slate SSD5 drums and cymbals
Percussion = Kontakt - Brio Ensemble

I am playing my wind controller (Kontakt - Amadeus - French Horn Ensemble - fx = vocal splitter -limiter) and my guitar = Amplitube 5 - fx = TRS Echo

All but the bass and some drums went through a Reverb bus containing Breverb
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Sunset - 03/29/21 07:01 PM
Mario,
you mastered the genre pretty well smile Nice peacefull tune. Gets more and more interesting as it progresses.
Exellent work on guitar and wind controller. The only item to my ears is the balance between French horn ensamble and strings. I think strings are a bit too dominant and horn is a bit distant even in soloed part. Thank you for sharing.

Misha,
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Sunset - 03/29/21 07:23 PM
Very pleasant mixture of instruments. I thought the last chord ended a little too abruptly. Perhaps a bit more sustain there would help to retain the mood.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Sunset - 03/29/21 07:39 PM
Mario,

Very pretty composition—soft and pleasant on the ears. I think you’ve captured the tranquility of your setting quite well. Mix all sounds pretty good to my ears—Misha may have a point regarding the French Horns vs. strings . . . but if so, it's not far off and plays darn good as is. Well done!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: dcuny Re: Sunset - 03/29/21 11:58 PM
Oooh... You're using that cool rising/descending fifths sound!

Really like the horns. The Brio percussion... I'm still undecided on that. I mean, I love congas and bongos as much as the next person. But now I understand the nasty look I'd get from the choir director when I tried adding some percussion to a church hymns. wink

A very pleasant listen!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Sunset - 03/30/21 12:22 AM
Very nice and mellow tune. Well done.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Sunset - 03/30/21 03:11 AM
Lovely work, Mario. That melody sounds like something McCartney could've written. Gorgeous.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jannesan Re: Sunset - 03/30/21 12:59 PM
The chord progression/melody includes nice The Beatles / Something vibe. Beautiful gently moving strings and horns. The guitar melody part is especially enjoyable. The use of non-classical percussions works for me. Excellent mix.

Janne
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 11:32 AM
Hi MarioD really nice peace of music the sounds are excellent great arrangement thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
you mastered the genre pretty well smile Nice peacefull tune. Gets more and more interesting as it progresses.
Exellent work on guitar and wind controller. The only item to my ears is the balance between French horn ensamble and strings. I think strings are a bit too dominant and horn is a bit distant even in soloed part. Thank you for sharing.

Misha,

Thanx for the constructive criticism. I was trying out some new effects on the French horns and I may have the balance between them and the strings not right.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Very pleasant mixture of instruments. I thought the last chord ended a little too abruptly. Perhaps a bit more sustain there would help to retain the mood.

Thanx for listening and suggesting a longer ending. I believe you are spot on and I will look into that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Mario,

Very pretty composition—soft and pleasant on the ears. I think you’ve captured the tranquility of your setting quite well. Mix all sounds pretty good to my ears—Misha may have a point regarding the French Horns vs. strings . . . but if so, it's not far off and plays darn good as is. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

Thanx so much for listening and commenting on this. I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Oooh... You're using that cool rising/descending fifths sound!

Really like the horns. The Brio percussion... I'm still undecided on that. I mean, I love congas and bongos as much as the next person. But now I understand the nasty look I'd get from the choir director when I tried adding some percussion to a church hymns. wink

A very pleasant listen!

Good ears David! Brio percussion is my go to for shakers and hand drums. Maybe you should write a contemporary Christian song that utilizes congos, bongos, and shakers. That should justify your purchase!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very nice and mellow tune. Well done.

Thanx!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Lovely work, Mario. That melody sounds like something McCartney could've written. Gorgeous.
Regards,
Leon

Thanx Leon, however I am not Paul. He is a musical genius and I'm just a hacker. I'm glad you liked this song.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
The chord progression/melody includes nice The Beatles / Something vibe. Beautiful gently moving strings and horns. The guitar melody part is especially enjoyable. The use of non-classical percussions works for me. Excellent mix.

Janne

Thanx so much Janne for these very kind words. I really tried to keep the guitar leads as simple as possible, I have a habit of over playing at times, so thanx for noticing that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi MarioD really nice peace of music the sounds are excellent great arrangement thanks for sharing Eric

Thanx so much Eric.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 01:18 PM
Mario,
Your soundscape matches the title and feeling of that tranquil experience very well.
The French horn has a nice tone and percussion unobtrusive.
A lovely gentle instrumental!

Robert
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 03:03 PM
Mario,

A nice piece. Like Leon, I heard the McCartney movement in the melody...

The shakers could have been more subtle (opinion).

Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 07:12 PM

Really cool Mario!

Your music always takes me to my happy place with a side dish of trippin'.

smile
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Sunset - 03/31/21 08:35 PM
Very soothing. Nicely textured but not too busy. Interesting chord movement in the intro. The two changes/interludes? (I think there were two) meshed well with the main theme.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Sunset - 04/01/21 06:20 AM
Hi Mario,

I like this composition very much. It's like the waves on a sunny day; coming and going.
The French horn has a very nice sound, I think David mentioned it before. It also gave the impression of a nice voice.
Very well done!

Hans
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sunset - 04/01/21 12:32 PM
Lovely piece Mario. Very nice listen. Love that wind controller
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sunset - 04/03/21 11:26 AM
A most enjoyable listen during our morning coffee looking out over our
forest. Your performances are ace.

J&B

PS Hope our morning session was not overly conflicting with the sunset description smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sunset - 04/03/21 04:48 PM
I like the melody and the instrumentation fits. This is a nice chill out song. Interesting twists in the chords used. I like your playing and kinda thought you should have played the guitar a bit more in it.
Posted By: rayc Re: Sunset - 04/04/21 05:48 AM
The guitar cuts through with the clean, clear sound the Cor Anglais needs when it's featured.
Probably a little too much reverb that blurrs the edges and moves it back.
On a stereo image not I'd have preferred to hear one of the percussive elements panned opposite the others.
Lovely composition.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Sunset - 04/04/21 09:51 AM
Oh, yes, it is, Mario. You are a master at making the sounds of our lives. A wonderful melody in a captivating mix. It's like I can listen to you all day, and I guess I do even when I can't hear you. Makes sense to me.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 04/04/21 11:30 AM
Robert, thanx so much for listening and commenting. I like the sound of the French horn also.

Floyd, thanx for the shaker suggestion. You have excellent taste so I'm sure that you are right.

David, I'm glad that you liked it.

Ezekiel' Storm, thanx for noticing the chord progression. Toontrack's EZKeys has some great chord progressions.

Hans, Your comments made me very happy.

Scott, thanx for listening and those very nice comments.

J&B thanx. No your sunrise did not conflict with my sunset!

Herb, Thanx for noticing the chord progression. My next one will have a lot more guitar in it.

Ray, Thanx for the stereo image and reverb suggestions. I'll make a note of them so I don't make the same mistake twice.

Marty, I apologize for putting sounds in your head! Thanx for those very nice comments.

I appreciate each and every one of your comments, especially the constructive ones. Thanx again all for listening and commenting on my little ditties.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sunset - 04/07/21 08:15 PM
Lovely music Mario!! You should be a film scorer!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: edshaw Re: Sunset - 04/09/21 08:19 PM
My comment echoes the term, Mario; you have become a master of visualized and descriptive mood music; an ordinary event as leaves falling from a tree becomes something special. Have you read James Joyce? In literature, he's known for that.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Sunset - 04/15/21 12:28 PM
Soothing for sure!
"wind controller" cool!

moto
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Sunset - 04/15/21 09:25 PM
Good mellow stuff, I always like what you do with your EWI controller. Excellent work!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Sunset - 04/15/21 09:41 PM
I liked it, very tranquil and peaceful.

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sunset - 04/15/21 10:00 PM
Thanx Greg. I would do music for a film if there weren't any pressure!

Ed, thanx so much for those super comments. No I have not read James Joyce.

Thanx for listening and commenting Moto.

TuneMonger, I am still a complete novice on the wind controller but thanx for those comments.

Thanx Mike.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Sunset - 04/15/21 10:05 PM
A beautiful piece (or a beautiful peace), Mario.
The french horns are lovely, while the guitar entry subtly suggests the falling autumn leaves.
As others have suggested, the strings could be just a tad overpowering in places but, overall, it's another excellent work from Mario's Chillharmonic Orchestra.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: edshaw Re: Sunset - 04/18/21 04:04 PM
Mario: James Joyce, considered possibly the most influential writer of the 20th century, published "Ulysses" in 1922. The book revolutionized the movies. The first movie with sound came out in 1927. Here's an example from the book, best as memory can recall it. As Stephen walks along a flag stone path, his attention is on the stones as they pass through his field of vision. He records his thoughts, as if thinking out loud, while continuing to watch.
In that example, we see (1) what would later become famous as "stream of consciousness," and (2) the suggestion of a movie staple, the narration track.
I happened to be reading some Joyce during the time of hearing your "Sunset," and was struck by the character of it. Keep up the good work, Mario.
© PG Music Forums