PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Dancing With the Goddess - 03/31/21 12:12 PM

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading on ancient history and religion and it appears that for about 10,000 years women were in charge of religion, temples, medicine, law, city planning, reading and writing and just about everything else.

Until the men took over and ruined everything and drove the planet to the brink of an apocalypse.

Sounds like song to me.

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs3/dancing-with-the-goddess

Dancing with the Goddess
By David Snyder

Intro

Ooooww! You know God is a Woman
And if you don’t know it, you’re about to know it!
Mmmm. You know I’m going to tell it now

V1

In the days of Nisaba
Back in good old Aratta
She was getting down, she was getting down
In the days of Babylon
They said Girl what’s going on
She was a Goddess, a Goddess all around

CH:

And I’m dancing, dancing with the Goddess
And I’m walking, walking in the fire
Can’t get no higher
Cause I’m getting down, dancing uptown
Got to throw her love
Throw it all around
Cause I’m dancing
Dancing with the Goddess now
Oh yes I am

V2

I am walking in her room
I can smell her sweet perfume
Getting underneath my skin
I have more than I desire
Cause the woman is on fire
Breathing out
And breathing in

CH:

And I’m dancing, dancing with the Goddess
And I’m walking, walking in the fire
Can’t get no higher
Caause I’m getting down, dancing uptown
Got to throw her love
Throw it all around
Cause I’m dancing
Dancing with the Goddess now
Oh yes I am

Inst.

CH

All words and music copyright David Snyder 2021, ASCAP/Day of Faith Records

David Snyder: Guitar, Bass, Vocals and additional instrumentation, David Snyder

****** Song Summary *************

RealTracks in style: 2619:Organ, Rhythm Funk Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1998:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RealDrums [in style:RootsyFunkPerc^2-a:SnareKick, b:Ride
RT1437 Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110.WAV
RT1443:Sax, Alto, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
Posted By: MarioD Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 03/31/21 12:25 PM
Outstanding groove! Love the instrumentation. The mix is perfect; I'll bet it was a job getting this to sound so good! I liked your vocal also.

Super song!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 03/31/21 03:31 PM
Funky Snyder,

I do hope they had your cape ready when you finished that. So much energy I was sweating just from listening!!

Nice job on the guitars. Killer vocal (that made MY throat soar).

Good mix.

A great listen!

fj

(JUST what I thought she would look like!)
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 03/31/21 07:46 PM
very creative with a lot of energy.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 03/31/21 08:48 PM
Is it James Brown????
Noooooooo... it is David Snyder...

Well, I got fooled on April the first... wink

Very well done!
Will
Posted By: rsdean Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/01/21 07:02 AM
David, WOW! That was a mind-blower!

Hope you survived that session! smile

Absolutely loved it.

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/01/21 12:38 PM
Cool tune David. Cool vocal. I imagine the vocal chords were a little raw after that one. Well done..
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/01/21 01:22 PM
David,

I want me some of that Goddess fire! After your intro blurb I was about to research ancient matriarchal traditions and then you funked that out the window.
Very brave possessed vocal ( been a while since we heard that side of your music) and the backtrack is crazy good ( even that too fast sax works).
Looking forward to hearing where this historical process takes you next.

Robert
Posted By: jannesan Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/01/21 01:43 PM
Wow, what a James Brown voice you have got, superfunky with some Latin flavor. Absolute the best funk song I have heard on this forum. You have turned that history and our Goddesses, the source of the eternal inspiration, into hot sweating sexy tune. You surely have had lots and lots of fun making this, the instrumentation is superb, even the super fast sax playing. And the chord progression is really imaginative. Excellent from the start to end, and the ending yell is hilarious smile

Janne
Posted By: dcuny Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/01/21 04:29 PM
Ha! You always bring a lot of energy to your songs, but this is a whole new level.

Clever write, and a backing track with the energy to match. I'm a bit sad you didn't go with more historical references in the later verses, but it sounded like you were just going where the spirit led you. wink

People commented about the insane speed of the sax, but I think that just helped push it even further over the top.

A nit - the vocal seemed placed a bit back in the mix. But it might just be my ears - it's full-bloom allergy season in the valley.

Fun song! laugh
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/01/21 05:30 PM
Thematically far, far removed but the funky groove reminded us of a show we saw with Steve Winwood and Randall Bramblett.

We've both taken recent dives in medieval historical fiction where the ladies ruled...literally.

Your instrumental performances and the vocal showed yet another Dave Snyder facet ... one of a host of them that are all hugely entertaining.

Well done and fun!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/02/21 11:16 AM
So..... Off your meds again?

Seriously interesting funk groove you have going on. There's a lot of things to hear in there.

That vocal.... Had me wondering how you pulled it off. I'd have been unable to talk above a whisper for a week after that.

I liked the song. Parts were nicely melodic while others simply tossed any concept of melody out the window. It all came together nicely.

I was especially intrigued by the lyric writing.

Mix was nice and clean.

Good job.
Posted By: bluage Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/02/21 10:10 PM
Mr. Snyder...

Ha, ha, ya' see what happens when a guy connects to the female power in the universe??? You got liberated, dude! The powerhouse music, the wildly celebratory, near-orgiastic lyrics, and most especially your break-out vocal proves that the 'The Muse' was just a'waitin' on ya' to claim the other half of your ancestral energy smile.

Hey, I'm a guy, too, and I believe that 'Dancing with the Goddess' is one the most primal, fearless, liberating, no-holds-barred and shout-it-out-to-the-world performances I've ever heard on this here User's Forum. You really opened yourself up and let it loose. There should be a video produced for this.

By the way, my reading has taken me down the path you've traveled and it's changed my life, too, in terms of empowering, improving and refining my relationships with women. Maybe you've checked out When God Was A Woman by Ms. Merlin Stone. Herodotus's History of the World includes a chapter about ancient Egypt that validates the political primacy of women in government in that particular society during the time of Herodotus's visit during the 4th century B.C.

Last, but not least, the late Marilyn French, in her book, The War Between Men and Women, theorized that the reason why the very ancient matriarchal and matrilineal order-of-things in the world succumbed to the new patriarchal order was because men realized they could destroy forms of life faster than our Mother Nature could create, nuture, and sustain them (or, so we thought), which is the apocalypse you described. But, hey, we're just framing the song in some interesting historical information, here, right? Right laugh !!!

Great work, man.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/03/21 09:24 AM
Wow, what an emotional and energetic taste of history. Love those changes and the instrumentation selection. That sax player sounds like she needs to get to the bathroom. I was almost expecting you to throw off the cape and get back "to the bridge". Well done, David.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/03/21 11:47 AM

Thanks Mr. Jane!

Yes, I was able to make it into the cape, and after that the hot tub!

Ooow!!! It's hot in here!

My next song will be about dancing with the Goddess in the hot tub! Owwww! Gotta get it!

Yeah!!!!

Thanks man!

smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/04/21 01:33 AM
Hi David,

It's been a while!

There is no doubt about it at all! Your creativity is in the stratosphere somewhere. I mean this as a very sincere compliment. I'm envious! It's incredible what you think of and how you go about using it.

I don't know how your voice lasted the distance on this one. It was a huge effort!

Loved it!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/04/21 07:14 PM
David,
Wild tune, lots of meat on the bones. Psycho-Jazz-Blues?
Fun vocals, arrangement! Good listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/05/21 10:13 PM

Thanks Gary! I appreciate that! Glad you liked it.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/06/21 06:26 AM
Hi David,

I was wondering how many times you had to record the vocals without the clipping danger?
And how hoarse were you at the end? Were you still able to speak?
I had the same feelings when James Brown did his performance.
Well, you are absolutely his successor!

About the subject, most of us (will) know women were very much involved with spiritual things, reading and making poems and caring for crying babies. But they let men get away with (most of) it. Only the crying babies they kept. Why did women let men do that?
Well you yelled a lot about that, but you're right, they are still goddesses for us. Don't they?

A great song!
Enjoyed it a lot!

Hans
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/07/21 08:36 PM
If someone played me this song and told me it was from someone on the PG forum, I would be totally puzzled for about 2 minutes, and then say......"Got to be David"!!!! Really well put together.......energetic, frenetic, and maybe a bit hallucinogenic!!! Love it David!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/10/21 12:39 PM
Thanks will. It was no joke. I am James Brown, man.

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/10/21 12:40 PM

Thanks Bob! I survived.

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/11/21 11:58 PM

Thanks Scott!

smile
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/15/21 11:27 PM
The Wild Man of the forum, endlessly creative and full of fire, does it again. Enjoyed it, well done!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/17/21 11:42 AM
I enjoyed that.
For just a moment I was wondering how to classify this masterpiece.
I quickly gave up on that fruitless effort and just let it hit me anyway it wanted to.

Very Cool!

moto
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/24/21 01:33 AM
David,

Super funky!
I completely agree with Janne.
What a James Brown voice you have got.
Fun vocals, arrangement!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/24/21 08:31 PM
Dave, I see I am about three weeks late on this. Sorry about that.

Great idea for a song.

Love the groovy genre/style for this. Perfect. And the vocal is delivered with matching intensity as the instrumentation.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 04/29/21 03:04 PM

Dear Robert, Janne and David Cuny,

Thanks guys! I have been having fun with this! Thanks for the listens!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Dancing With the Goddess - 05/03/21 10:48 PM

Dear Janice and Bud and Herb,

Hey Wow thanks for the Stevie Winwood comment! Love it.

Herb, yeah, I forgot to get my prescription.

It's a wild ride.

smile
© PG Music Forums