PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/02/21 09:28 PM
This is some rock and roll.... unabashedly loud, in your face, smoking tubes, wall of guitars, rock and roll.

It was fun. The kind of band I'd like to play a few shows with.

The band is pretty sparse on this one.

Bass is 2591 and the drums are punk.

I'm doing all the guitars. I got to admit, some of the lead stuff is kinda sloppy so hang in there.... but man was it a blast to work up. THe amp is Spark and the preset models are several of the rock models. Modern Stone and British accent.... both edited and saved with new presets. The more I play with this amp.... the more I want to play. All mic'd with the Rode at about 24 inches. There's one rhythm track chugging away and 2 lead tracks. Oh... and a couple of vocals. All running at 155bpm. You might find this hard to believe but the amp is at a very comfortable and low volume. I know it sounds like I'm playing with a bunch of double stacked 4x12s behind me cranked up.... And I even got some harmonic feedback in a few places.... But yeah, its a very low volume recording.

I am also running the compression a little tight on this one.

We Ain't Got There Yet (v2.0)

Version 2 is a remix of the guitars and I added some vocals as well as reworked the guitar tracks a bit to clean things up.

As always... headphones.... be careful with the volume.... yeah I know.... but it's so coooool man... anyway, enjoy and let me know what you think in the comments below and thanks for listening.

Lyrics:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions .
This is not the straight and narrow way
Destination up ahead, put your money down, and place your bets
Oh Oh Oh we ain't got there yet

Something new to capture your attention
Turn your head and look the other way
Don't let anybody know, that what you see ain't what you get

Is that a savior on the screen before you
Or a harbinger of things to come
All the lies you've been sold, they're hoping you'll forget

SOLO

All the people signaling their virtue
Self righteousness is everywhere
The situation has us so distracted, we can't see the threat

CHORUS

Note: this is the song that I had problems with and was having computer issues. I had to delete everything but the original BB file and start over.

I had 2 verses and was stuck for ideas. A discussion with a few BB folks in a different forum thread last week inspired the lines in the 3rd verse.

It's all good. I take my ideas where I can get them.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/03/21 09:30 AM
Yes, headphones!! Yes, it threw me against the wall the instant I pushed play. You're right, Herb. A ton of fun, and those guitars are still in my face --and they STILL sound good. hehe. This one grew spikes in my hair, man.
Posted By: dcuny Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/03/21 06:14 PM
Hi, Herb.

Sounds great, and the vocals are nice and clear in the mix.

The guitars are a blast to listen to!

Personally, I avoid using the word "harbinger" because I know it'll come out as "harbringer". Glad to see I'm not the only one with that problem (1:35). wink

Really fun song! laugh
Posted By: Deej56 Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/03/21 09:12 PM
Guitarhacker,

There so much good stuff going on in this song. The whole vibe is very cool—cranked up rock. The hook is terrific . . . and the lead guitar work sounds great. You meshed a lot of sound into a pretty tight tune, and it had to be a bear to mix. In really small spots, a few tracks seemed to be a little on top of each other (though I’m just listening over the lap top today, so that’s not doing it any favors I’m sure). But if so, pretty minor--very fun listen! And I’ll give it another go when I drag the headphones out (i.e., when I’m not feeling so lazy, LOL). Enjoyed this one!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Yes, headphones!! Yes, it threw me against the wall the instant I pushed play. You're right, Herb. A ton of fun, and those guitars are still in my face --and they STILL sound good. hehe. This one grew spikes in my hair, man.

Glad you're liking this. I don't know what to say about the spikes.... check out the remix
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Herb.

Sounds great, and the vocals are nice and clear in the mix.

The guitars are a blast to listen to!

Personally, I avoid using the word "harbinger" because I know it'll come out as "harbringer". Glad to see I'm not the only one with that problem (1:35). wink

Really fun song! laugh

I thought the word was fairly clear in there..... Man, I really really love playing some rock like this. I'm a huge fan of in your face guitars.... from way back. Thanks for listening
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Guitarhacker,

There so much good stuff going on in this song. The whole vibe is very cool—cranked up rock. The hook is terrific . . . and the lead guitar work sounds great. You meshed a lot of sound into a pretty tight tune, and it had to be a bear to mix. In really small spots, a few tracks seemed to be a little on top of each other (though I’m just listening over the lap top today, so that’s not doing it any favors I’m sure). But if so, pretty minor--very fun listen! And I’ll give it another go when I drag the headphones out (i.e., when I’m not feeling so lazy, LOL). Enjoyed this one!

Best regards,

Deej

I knew when I let this loose.... it had some rough parts... so I sat down this evening and fixed a few things hopefully.... and added some new parts.

Check out the new mix.... Here

Thanks for your ears on this
Posted By: rayc Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 05:44 AM
I didn't notice it being loud...everything on this computer is set to normal and the headphoes are on.
The models on the amp are pretty good.
The twin lead parts really did suit the flavour of the amps chosen.
Nothing wrong with a chunk of classic rock sounds.
Nicely done.
Posted By: vicarn Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 01:05 PM
Not quite my genre but it sounds great to me.

Vic
Posted By: floyd jane Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 01:13 PM
Herb,

A good classic Rock sound. Guitars sound good. Bass, too.
I thought that the vocals could have used more reverb and some delay for the genre ( but the vocals themselves were good)

Pretty brick-y for a guy who used to rail against them...but I never agreed with your argument on that. If it sounds good it is good regardless of the visuals...
Posted By: Derochette Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 05:37 PM
Hi Guitarhacker,

It's the rock style that I like. Beautiful guitar solo played by you, and your voice is very rock too. We are directly immersed in the atmosphere and enjoyable bass playing. Everything is well done. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I didn't notice it being loud...everything on this computer is set to normal and the headphoes are on.
The models on the amp are pretty good.
The twin lead parts really did suit the flavour of the amps chosen.
Nothing wrong with a chunk of classic rock sounds.
Nicely done.

If you heard v2.0 that was remixed and I lowered the volume a bit.

Thank you for listening and commenting
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This is some rock and roll.... unabashedly loud, in your face, smoking tubes, wall of guitars, rock and roll.

Howdy Herb....

I'd say mission accomplished and I like it.
Absolutely....I can hear that it was a total 'blast' to finish up.
With all the wall of sound going on it must have been a challenge from hell to arrive at the right mix.
Well done in all aspects.

Ha...me too..."I take my ideas where I can get them"

Carry on....
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/04/21 06:57 PM
Herb,
nice classic feel hard rocker. Strong vocals. Solo is outstanding! Good listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I did notice a bit of dynamic change in from your previous tunes. This has a bit of "under" sound, compared to "Road To Cheyenne" for example, which is more "opened"
Posted By: jannesan Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 04:55 AM
This is the closest thing to Motörhead I've heard on this forum. Rocks and kicks Lemmy back alive.
Strong lyrics with a warning for those who are not sold yet.
Cool guitar riffs, solos and strong sound of the guitar wall with all the nice effects.
Very good vocal performance.
The best rock song I've heard for a long time, very difficult to stop listening to it.

Janne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 11:30 AM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Not quite my genre but it sounds great to me.

Vic

Thanks for listening and commenting. If it sounds good, that's what matters
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Herb,

A good classic Rock sound. Guitars sound good. Bass, too.
I thought that the vocals could have used more reverb and some delay for the genre ( but the vocals themselves were good)

Pretty brick-y for a guy who used to rail against them...but I never agreed with your argument on that. If it sounds good it is good regardless of the visuals...

Hey, thanks for listening and commenting. "Bricky"... hummm, so I loaded up a few of my other songs and compared the picture of the waveform.... because you never really know until you look and compare. This actually compared favorably with the others. Actually, I had exported it previously and that was a classic brick that you could have used to build a wall. Metallica would have been proud of me. I deleted it and went back in and shut off the final compressor and that was fuzzier.

I'm still not satisfied with the mix on V2.0. but I'm reaching the point of simply tossing it into the dust bin (aka my D drive storage file) and letting it go, but at the same time, I don't want to let this one whoop me. We'll see... there might be a V3.0 coming... I will start from scratch if I do it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Guitarhacker,

It's the rock style that I like. Beautiful guitar solo played by you, and your voice is very rock too. We are directly immersed in the atmosphere and enjoyable bass playing. Everything is well done. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindred spirits... yeah, I like this rock style as well. Thank you for noticing the solo.... that was fun, and a bit of a challenge to play. But I knew that no ordinary normal solo would play well in this.

Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 11:49 AM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Howdy Herb....

I'd say mission accomplished and I like it.
Absolutely....I can hear that it was a total 'blast' to finish up.
With all the wall of sound going on it must have been a challenge from hell to arrive at the right mix.
Well done in all aspects.

Ha...me too..."I take my ideas where I can get them"

Carry on....

Thanks.... mission accomplished.... that mix is still a work in progress.

Much appreciated!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 11:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Herb,
nice classic feel hard rocker. Strong vocals. Solo is outstanding! Good listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I did notice a bit of dynamic change in from your previous tunes. This has a bit of "under" sound, compared to "Road To Cheyenne" for example, which is more "opened"

Another check for the solo.... Thanks. That's my favorite part of the song.

I agree on the "closed" aspect to the mix. As I mentioned above, there might be a new mix coming to address that particular issue.

Thank you for listening and mentioning the quality of the mix. That was bugging me and you caught that aspect and pointed it out.

Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
This is the closest thing to Motörhead I've heard on this forum. Rocks and kicks Lemmy back alive.
Strong lyrics with a warning for those who are not sold yet.
Cool guitar riffs, solos and strong sound of the guitar wall with all the nice effects.
Very good vocal performance.
The best rock song I've heard for a long time, very difficult to stop listening to it.

Janne

I've been compared to a lot of folks in the musical world but Lemmy, now that's a first. And a compliment. It is a heads up warning to those who, as you say are not sold and to those who are, as well.

The amazing thing about the wall of guitars is that it's really created by one guitar with the right tone. It's not doubled or effected in any way.

The solo was a challenge because I don't normally use a lot of tapping in my playing AND.... it was at 155 bpm which tends to make things happen really fast.

Best rock song you've heard in a long time.... man that's a great compliment. You can feel free to listen as much as you want.

Thank you
Posted By: Birchwood Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/05/21 05:15 PM
Hi Herb,

i think I start my post by quoting you yourself: "This is some rock and roll.... unabashedly loud, in your face, smoking tubes, wall of guitars, rock and roll."
Because this is what it really is!

I enjoyed it a lot and I can imagine you had a lot of fun making it.
Well done!

Hans
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/06/21 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Herb,

i think I start my post by quoting you yourself: "This is some rock and roll.... unabashedly loud, in your face, smoking tubes, wall of guitars, rock and roll."
Because this is what it really is!

I enjoyed it a lot and I can imagine you had a lot of fun making it.
Well done!

Hans

And i will quote you quoting me... I had a lot of fun making it.... Best believe it.

Thanks for the kind words...
Posted By: PeterF Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/06/21 05:55 PM
Herb

All sounds good to me - very energetic and well played.

The guitars were genre perfect, and the solo was well executed.

Good stuff.

Peter
Posted By: Soundchaser Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/06/21 09:45 PM
Fat guitar sound, great vocals and composition.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/06/21 11:52 PM
Wow! This rocks. Good old fashioned Rock and Roll. I didn't know they still made it. Excellent lyrics and outstanding guitar work (and solo guitar work too). Driving beat. A fun production. I love the hook line "we ain't got there yet". Outstanding.
Posted By: rsdean Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/07/21 07:55 AM
Herb,

This is definitely one to play on 11! Very cool vocal and love the big loud mix.

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/07/21 02:36 PM
Rayc is the man when it comes to classic rock and he said,
"Nothing wrong with a chunk of classic rock sounds.
Nicely done."

Dittos from us.

Really good performance on guitar and vocals and, man, that RT bass is strong.

Rock on,

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/07/21 09:02 PM
I
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Herb

All sounds good to me - very energetic and well played.

The guitars were genre perfect, and the solo was well executed.

Good stuff.

Peter

I'm glad you enjoyed the song. And thank you for your observations.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/07/21 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Soundchaser
Fat guitar sound, great vocals and composition.

I like fat guitar tone.... Thanks for your time and comment
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/08/21 11:16 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Wow! This rocks. Good old fashioned Rock and Roll. I didn't know they still made it. Excellent lyrics and outstanding guitar work (and solo guitar work too). Driving beat. A fun production. I love the hook line "we ain't got there yet". Outstanding.

I love some good old rock and roll.... and yeah, it's still being made but you gotta look for it. To me, the hook is everything and I always try to get a good one.

Thanks for listening and commenting. Rock on!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/08/21 11:17 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Herb,

This is definitely one to play on 11! Very cool vocal and love the big loud mix.

Bob

Turn it up to 11 and rip the knobs off!!! I'm with you on that. Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/08/21 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Rayc is the man when it comes to classic rock and he said,
"Nothing wrong with a chunk of classic rock sounds.
Nicely done."

Dittos from us.

Really good performance on guitar and vocals and, man, that RT bass is strong.

Rock on,

J&B

Thanks... yeah, that is a solid bass. In places it has a wirey sound...almost like a Richenbacker..... You can hear that in the last verse, first part.

thanks for listening
Posted By: stratos Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/08/21 01:37 PM
Very nice to hear so genuine a rock track, and good guitar sound.
Love the feedback sound at the end ..

I like your voice for that style
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/09/21 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: stratos
Very nice to hear so genuine a rock track, and good guitar sound.
Love the feedback sound at the end ..

I like your voice for that style

Thank you. There were a few places where the guitar got some feedback going.... since it was a modeler and running at a very low volume that is pretty extraordinary. Right at the start there's a bit of feedback as well. Im loving this amp.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/09/21 08:14 PM
This is great rock'n'roll Herb. I loved everything about this: the song, the vocals, the production (and the guitars are smokin'!)
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: David Snyder Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/10/21 10:45 PM

Another rock and roll classic Herb!

When will you stop partying so hard and just settle down man??

You're an animal.

smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/11/21 08:22 PM
Now THAT sounds like some good ol' R and R!!! Guitars sound great.....wonderful tone and playing!! I'm sure this was fun to put together. GREAT JOB!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/12/21 11:03 AM
Quote:
This is great rock'n'roll Herb. I loved everything about this: the song, the vocals, the production (and the guitars are smokin'!)
Cheers,
Mike

Many thanks for listening. So glad you loved it.

Quote:
Another rock and roll classic Herb!

When will you stop partying so hard and just settle down man??

You're an animal.

David Snyder

In the words of the famous Billy Gibbons.... No I can't stop rocking....

Quote:
Now THAT sounds like some good ol' R and R!!! Guitars sound great.....wonderful tone and playing!! I'm sure this was fun to put together. GREAT JOB!!! Take care. Greg

It was a real treat to play and produce.... oh yeah, and write.

Thanks!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/15/21 11:19 PM
Yep, you're in AC/DC territory here. And a good hook line to boot. Nicely done.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/16/21 08:50 AM
Yeah! Love the attitude happening with this one; loud, proud and in your face!

Guitars sound great, Herb, both the rhythm and lead work (cool solo) as does your vocal.

Nice one, just what I needed to listen to this morning.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/17/21 11:53 AM
Quote:
Yep, you're in AC/DC territory here. And a good hook line to boot. Nicely done.

Tunemonger.... Thanks.... yeah man, I like to rock heavy every now and then. And I love a great hook.

Quote:
Yeah! Love the attitude happening with this one; loud, proud and in your face!

Guitars sound great, Herb, both the rhythm and lead work (cool solo) as does your vocal.

Nice one, just what I needed to listen to this morning.

Dave...indeed it is all of that. Glad I could fill the bill this morning for you. THanks
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/18/21 09:54 PM
Wow !! Not my genre but WHAT A GUITAR SOLO !! Is that really you ??!! Nice track. Only thing I would have done is mastered it EVEN LOUDER !! :-) Nice Job !!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/18/21 10:40 PM
Guitarhacker,

Came back for another listen . . . definitely a step forward; finer tuned. You’ve got a fun and very rocking tune here—it was good hearing it again.

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/19/21 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
Wow !! Not my genre but WHAT A GUITAR SOLO !! Is that really you ??!! Nice track. Only thing I would have done is mastered it EVEN LOUDER !! :-) Nice Job !!

Yes Henry, that's me playing the guitars, including the solo. It was fun putting that together. I have to live up to my forum name of guitarhacker every now and then.
I can agree with louder.... Glad you like it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/19/21 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Guitarhacker,

Came back for another listen . . . definitely a step forward; finer tuned. You’ve got a fun and very rocking tune here—it was good hearing it again.

My best to you,

Deej

Thanks for revisiting this and commenting. I was contemplating a third mix but I don't think I will.

Thanks again
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/19/21 08:08 PM
That was a wild ride! I feel like I'm at a 70s rock show. It's only rock and roll and I like it! The guitars are on fire.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/20/21 02:57 PM
Good old Rock and Roll, Herb - love it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: We Ain't Got There Yet - 04/21/21 04:33 PM
Ezekiel's Storm :
Quote:
That was a wild ride! I feel like I'm at a 70s rock show. It's only rock and roll and I like it! The guitars are on fire.

90dB /Bob :
Quote:
Good old Rock and Roll, Herb - love it.

Hey.... I'm glad to see both of you come in and listen to the music and comment..... I love me some good old rock. The heavier, the better, in most cases. Glad you both enjoyed it too.
© PG Music Forums