PG Music Home
Another song from the old days remade with Band in a Box, and a little help from my friends. Comments are always welcomed. Even ones like, "Well, the woodblock was the best part."

Midnight Train on SoundCloud
Midnight Train on YouTube The photos were all taken in Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA, USA.

Style is _TEASIN.STY (Teasin Blues Shuffle)

RealTracks in style: 2889:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkBluesSlowShuffleMike Sw 085
Loop in Song: Drums\BluesShuffleHard^1-HiHat,Ride
RealTracks in song: 2535:Guitar, Electric, HeldChords Gritty
Loop in Song: Drums\WoodblocksSw[single]^4-pattern4
RealDrums [in style:BluesShuffle^3-a:Brushes, Swirl , b:Brushes, HiHat

Dave Bell did the lead guitar work. I played bass and sang (tried Melodyne, but I'm no better with that than I am singing, so pitchiness stays, but I did work on the sibilance). Thanks to the insiration of MarioD and others here, I bought a midi controller to add a couple (way in the background) tracks.

Midnight Train

We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
We're gonna roll down the tracks, then do it again.
We're gonna sing when the pipe is passed 'cuz anyday could be the last.
I'm gonna hold you in my arms again
I'm gonna let go to all your charms and then
We'll be flyin' down the railroad track with little chance for looking back.
Or looking out. Look out.

CH: Baby. Baby, I love you, 'though the train we're on is goin' nowhere.
My one-track mind is thinking of you. As long as I'm with you I don't care.

We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
We're gonna roll, baby, then do it again.
And when the cats see the cows come home, baby, you won't be alone.
You'll be with me. Alright, I'll rock, you roll. SOLO

We'll pass the planes, curve up the mountainside.
The other trains -whew! We'll seem to pass 'em by.
And when the clouds clear away the smoke,
we'll be laughing at this joke -just you and me. Ha HA!
CH

I'm gonna hold you in my arms again
I'm gonna let go to all your charms and then.
We'll be singin' when the cats come home. Baby, you won't be alone.
Listen to that engine groan on our way back home.

Oh, yeah, yeah. We're gonna rock on the Midnight Train.
Rock 'n' roll. We'll do it and do it again.
We're gonna rock 'n' roll on the Midnight Train,
do another bowl, and then we'll go insane.
Rock 'n' roll is gonna see us through cuz it thrills my soul just to be with you.
Ref.: We're gonna rock -woowoo-- on the Midnight Train. You rock; I'll roll. Woowoo. We're gonna go insane
The vocal sounded fine to me. Well, except for that gargle at 3:15. wink

And the woodblock certainly did sound good.

Not really much to comment on, other than to say that I enjoyed the song. laugh
Posted By: rayc Re: Midnight Train with Blue Attitude Dave Bell - 04/03/21 07:03 PM
Love the train noise via bass at the beginning.
Your vocal, with that bit of sibilant treatment, is fine, fine, fine.
Mr Bell is , as always, on point & on fire.
The bass sounds really great, and you used the style really effectively. I enjoyed all the little extra touches you included in your finished product. Thanks for sharing!
Cool tune. I haven't heard a wood block in a song since I was in the middle school orchestra in the percussion section. Actually I was the only percussionist in the orchestra.
The style and groove matches the topic nicely.
Marty,

Love the opening of this song—sets up that locomotion mood . . . and the song just rolls on from there. Terrific write, and of course David’s smoking guitar work. I don’t find your vocal pitchy at all—seems to fit right in with the mix; and it sounds like you had a lot of fun laying it down. Real good stuff, Marty—enjoyed it a ton!

All my best,

Deej
Marty,
Cool toe tapping tune! Amazing vocal performance!! Dave is right on the spot, his cup of tea for sure. Bass shines. Mix, arrangement is radio quality. Smooth collaboration. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. That Melodyne thing... yeah it works for some. I used it on couple of tunes... uninstalled it and it went bye bye. Never looked back. Your vocals do not need this mojo.
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The vocal sounded fine to me. Well, except for that gargle at 3:15. wink

And the woodblock certainly did sound good.

Not really much to comment on, other than to say that I enjoyed the song. laugh

Thanks, David. Haha. That gargle is me (accidently) imitating Bobby Blue Bland. He'd do that and the girls would go crazy. Never understood it, but...

Originally Posted By: rayc
Love the train noise via bass at the beginning.
Your vocal, with that bit of sibilant treatment, is fine, fine, fine.
Mr Bell is , as always, on point & on fire.

Thanks, Ray. That opening bass was a quick pan from left to center. I tried that with Dave's opening and the ending to give a doppler effect, but it really didn't work.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The bass sounds really great, and you used the style really effectively. I enjoyed all the little extra touches you included in your finished product. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Ember. Those Utility Tracks is a brilliant idea, and so easy to work with. Now I have to worry about creating that dreaded Phil Spector Wall Of Sound.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune. I haven't heard a wood block in a song since I was in the middle school orchestra in the percussion section. Actually I was the only percussionist in the orchestra.
The style and groove matches the topic nicely.

Haha, Right, Herb? That must mean you mastered the triangle too. You stuff is always a treat to listen to.
Marty,
A good rocker with no rust on it- your vocals have a gravelly quality that suits the song and Dave`s contribution is awesome.
Some nice old stock you are rolling out!

Robert
Hi BabuMusic,

This is really well done. Your composition is very dancing and the arrangement pleasant. I enjoyed the guitar solo and the choir.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
I can imagine this midnight train, hot night "You rock; I'll roll", "one-track mind". Excellent fun lyrics.
Dave's mood matching solo, the colorful and expressive vocals mixed well, the excellent backing band, nothing to complain on this railroad ride. And the woodblock was almost the best part, nice addition wink

Janne
Marty / Dave, this is excellent! Great song and vocal - blistering guitar!

Loved it!

Bob
You sounded like you enjoyed this one. I did too.

Vic
Hi Marty,

You did it again with your song; making me smile and even tap my feet (both).
I liked the start of your song very much. Very cool how you imagined that train!
And of course Dave had a very beautiful solo.
Loved your midnight train, man!

Hans
Marty

Some of the best woodblock playing I've ever heard.

Great song, really engaging - nice photos as well.

The bass and Dave's guitar were superb.

Excellent all round work.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

Love the opening of this song—sets up that locomotion mood . . . and the song just rolls on from there. Terrific write, and of course David’s smoking guitar work. I don’t find your vocal pitchy at all—seems to fit right in with the mix; and it sounds like you had a lot of fun laying it down. Real good stuff, Marty—enjoyed it a ton!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. Glad you liked that opening. I tried panning the end of Dave's opening for a continued doppler effect, but it wasn't right musically. Thanks also for overlooking the pitchiness. Melodyne just flashes "Really? Are you serious?"

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Cool toe tapping tune! Amazing vocal performance!! Dave is right on the spot, his cup of tea for sure. Bass shines. Mix, arrangement is radio quality. Smooth collaboration. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. That Melodyne thing... yeah it works for some. I used it on couple of tunes... uninstalled it and it went bye bye. Never looked back. Your vocals do not need this mojo.

Thanks, Misha. Dave's guitar can make any song better. What's cool is how one of us already has a part done when the other gets to lay down a track. It amazes me how well we play together when we're not together. He is a master. I had planned to change my bass after I got his solo, but he played so well with what was there, that I had to let it go.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Marty,
A good rocker with no rust on it- your vocals have a gravelly quality that suits the song and Dave`s contribution is awesome.
Some nice old stock you are rolling out!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. There is currently a bottleneck of new stuff sitting half baked in BiaB waiting for some creative attention.
Marty,

Cool rockin' Blues song.

Excellent vocal! And bass! (of course!!!).
Dave's guitar is smokin' (as always).

Excellent mix.

Toe-tappin' fun. Much enjoyed.

fj
It's dawned on me what your writing style seems to be. You write a lyric like I cuss. You know all the "words" and it's at least possible your listener has as well. But you arrange them and present them in ways that make the ear perk and the smile break. Cool.
Well done. Good rocker. Good base line, fine electric guitar playing, and the band chugged alone in time. Cool photos on the video too. Good production folks.

We are train fans so we were in from the get go.

Loved the vid phots -- cool fx on them. Nice group photo smile

The operative word here is FUN.

Say whatcha will about the vocals but they always sound passionate and sincere to us.

Great guitar and bass performances keep this thing chuggin' right along.

Enjoyed both the video and SC versions!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi BabuMusic,

This is really well done. Your composition is very dancing and the arrangement pleasant. I enjoyed the guitar solo and the choir.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for listening and your kind comment, JaniJackFlash!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
I can imagine this midnight train, hot night "You rock; I'll roll", "one-track mind". Excellent fun lyrics.
Dave's mood matching solo, the colorful and expressive vocals mixed well, the excellent backing band, nothing to complain on this railroad ride. And the woodblock was almost the best part, nice addition wink

Janne

Thanks for your in-depth comment, Janne. Haha. That woodblock is the fuel.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty / Dave, this is excellent! Great song and vocal - blistering guitar!

Loved it!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: vicarn
You sounded like you enjoyed this one. I did too.

Vic

Thanks, Vic. Enjoying whatever happens is easier when there is music involved.
Killer song!!! Vocals are perfect, guitar and bass playing supreme, and the mix and production spot on!!! Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg
Awesome tune Marty. Loved the vocal. Very cool intro. Daves guitar work is awesome as well. Loved the bass lines. Well done.
Good-time rock'n'roll Marty.
Your vocals and bass work perfectly, topped off by Dave's wonderful guitar work. Woodblock was good too.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty,

You did it again with your song; making me smile and even tap my feet (both).
I liked the start of your song very much. Very cool how you imagined that train!
And of course Dave had a very beautiful solo.
Loved your midnight train, man!

Hans

Hi Hans, Keep on rolling, man. Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty

Some of the best woodblock playing I've ever heard.

Great song, really engaging - nice photos as well.

The bass and Dave's guitar were superb.

Excellent all round work.

Peter

Thank you, Peter. Stayed up nights for weeks practicing that woodblock riff.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

Cool rockin' Blues song.

Excellent vocal! And bass! (of course!!!).
Dave's guitar is smokin' (as always).

Excellent mix.

Toe-tappin' fun. Much enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for all you do, Floyd. Glad you liked it. Dave's guitar is always smokin'.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
It's dawned on me what your writing style seems to be. You write a lyric like I cuss. You know all the "words" and it's at least possible your listener has as well. But you arrange them and present them in ways that make the ear perk and the smile break. Cool.

Haha, Thanks, Tangmo. I'm often more specific when I cuss.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Well done. Good rocker. Good base line, fine electric guitar playing, and the band chugged alone in time. Cool photos on the video too. Good production folks.

Thanks, jptjptjpt. It was a fum ride. Glad you hopped on.
Thanks to everyone that commented on my small part in this cool song, and thanks to Marty for the invite.

P.S. Needs more woodblock! eek
Another great one from 2/3 of Blue Attitude. Good song, well sung. Killer guitar, of course. Lyrics are the icing.
Hi Marty,

This is a terrific listen!

Your vocals sound perfectly fine to me! In fact, your sound suits the style like icing suits a cake. I love the laid-back feel from both your presentation and BIAB's handywork. That line about a "one-track mind" made me smile and laugh smile

Also, getting Dave to join in the fun was an awesome choice. His guitar work is always the stuff of legends! There's a 100% nice synergy happening between your song and his playing.

All in all, I enjoyed this immensely.

All the best,
Noel
Haha. Wonderful, just wonderful. You inject every song of yours that you create with a certain joie de vivre which seems to be unique to you. That's what carries each song across the line - from good to great and from great to wonderful, I think. I couldn't stop tapping my foot, in any case! Keep creating!
Marty,

The train whistle with bass (or guitar?) in the intro is wonderful.
Excellent vocal!
Dave's guitar fits this perfectly.
Very nice blues!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Thanks so much, Bud & Janice. I'm glad you enjoyed the fun. With you guys along for the ride how could it be any different?

Thank you also Greg Johnson, Scott C, Mike G, Blue Attitude, TuneMonger, Noel96, musician17 and animarorexcords for all your encouraging comments.

Now I gotta get back to listening to all the amazing creations you are all posting. Thanks!!
Cool song.
Vocals are particularly tasty, fitting very nicely.
© PG Music Forums