PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/10/21 03:48 AM
(Home) Before the Street Lights Come On

Just a Funk/Jazz/12 bar blues Jam, if you have three minutes and need a smile. My oldest loves it and we've had a blast today dancing, so there. smile

Three .sgu's were utilized to get all I wanted and the resulting tracks set to DAW (Reaper).

Harmonically, this is built off of 9th chords (the 7th chord's jazzier older cousin). There are two separate bass-lines playing at the same time. One is playing off the chord roots, the other off the 7ths. Other than that, I just took what BIAB gave me. My "producer hat" went on early as I was loving everything that came out.

Part of what BIAB gave me was a kind of glitchy ending (massaged a little in DAW) that reminded me of scurrying home, each to his/her own house, which inspired the title. The Streetlights coming on was the deadline for being back inside when I was a kid. It was kinda unfair because we never knew when they were going to come on...but none of us had watches, so if we ran in out of breath, there were usually no repercussions even if they were already glowing.

Another part that came out was stacking two separate performances of the EP at about mid-point. Maybe it's a bit too virtuosic-sounding, but to my ears, since both versions sound like one hand play, it works. And if it doesn't, I don't care. It's fun.

****** Song Summary *************

Key=C , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=1:36
No intro. 12 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 12. Repeat x3 choruses

Style is _MANTILA.STY (Mantilla Modern Funk w EP Solo)

RealTracks in style: ~921:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~1438:Piano, Electric, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 3249:Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 3251:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm ModFunk1NoteMark Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 3683:Bass, Synth, FunkJeff Ev 110
RealDrums [in style:ModernFunkOffbeatKickSput^3-a:Sidestick, Hihat , b:Snare, Ride

Style is _JZFNKTP.STY (Jazz Funk w/ Background Trumpet)

RealTracks in style: 2113:Trumpet, Background, R&B Ev16 110 (1TrackHornSection)
RealTracks in style: ~1435:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinChords Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: ~1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 3352:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Soloist SwampyBluesTalkBoxBrent Ev 095
RealTracks in song: 2348:Horn Section, Rhythm, Funk 2-part, Ev 110 (Simple with Space)
RealDrums [in style:JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:Sidestick, Hihat , b:Snare, Hihat

I think that 2348 2-part funk horn section is my favorite RT.

Mixed in Reaper with mostly PG reverbs and Izotope plugins. Mastered with the modern funk preset in Ozone 9.

Enjoy, if possible.

A great and exciting vibe. Dynamic and uplifting, with lots of interesting directions.

A really great listen, quite enjoyable.
Tangmo,

LOVE the 2 basses!
Love the EPs!
Love the funky guitars - ALL of them!
Great use of horns.
The Drums work! Really supportive and never "in the way".
Cool solo guitar.
Love the ending!
A good story to go along.
Excellent mix.
A great listen.

Impressive at every turn.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/10/21 05:15 PM
Cool! The song builds and goes interesting places, and I enjoyed the trip.

Nice mix, well put together, and every instrument fit well with the others.

Easily enjoyed, thanks! laugh
Posted By: PeterF Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/10/21 07:07 PM
Very nicely done, and beautifully produced.

A top quality jam.

Peter
Posted By: Noel96 Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/11/21 12:48 AM
Hi Tangmo,

This is excellent, really excellent.

What grabbed me first was how you've used the panning stage to create interest and movement. I listened on external speakers and this feature of the production was stunning. It seriously hypnotised me.

After I finished listening, I read through your production notes. Using two basses was a genius touch! I'm very impressed that you managed to do this and obtained such a clean sound. Low frequency audio wave clashes can easily arise when working in the bass region but you avoided them! Incredible.

► Lively
► Entertaining
► Vibrant
► Delightful

I enjoyed my listen a lot!
Noel
The instrument mashup works really well, Tangmo, great sound!

Love the talk box guitar BTW, I didn't realize BIAB had one.
Posted By: rsdean Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/11/21 12:07 PM
Wow! This is really great. The vibe, groove and mix is outstanding...

Sounds like it could be a long lost Rufus track from the 70s.

Absolutely loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/11/21 12:17 PM
Very cool tune Tangmo. Lots happening in the song. Loved the instrument selection. Lots of textures and tones. Well done..
Hi Tangmo,

Nice result with the realtracks used. It is well arranged. The spatialization of the sounds is impeccable. The whole gives a very pleasant result to the listening. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Really cool track!!! This would make a great movie score piece during an energetic, frantic scene with no dialog. Great, great job with this!!! Take care. Greg
Wow! That was super cool and expertly produced. Everything is crisp and clean in the mix, and I like stereo panning as already has been mentioned. I've got this cranked on my studio speakers as I am listening a second time. Love it.
That was pretty hot. Jazz funk groove jam with a lot of interesting things going on.
Tangmo,
that woke me up!
Uplifting funk. Excellent arrangement, mix and that wah wah solo! Good listen. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/15/21 12:19 AM
Tangmo:

Really digging the vibe right out of the gate. Those bass lines are infectious—a dancing fool’s dream! That kick in with the horns at 0:58—very cool. And that guitar work starting at 1:58—killer! Excellent production throughout out—terrific and imaginative mix. Great stuff!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: rayc Re: (Home) Before the Street Lights Come On - 04/15/21 06:36 AM
Cool but the Rhodes spinning across the headphones didn't really work for me.
I THINK I'd have EQ the two basses rather differently from each other to avoid a bottom end build up - the kick drum doesn't seem to have much space.
Very lively jazzy jam.
Whoa! Would've commented 10 minutes ago, but I couldn't type while dancing. I listened 3 times --one for each SGU. Yes, I use that method often to get a couple more players into the mix. Utility tracks are great for that, too. Love that older cousin. Ha that ending is quite creative, and it makes me envision the "we all fall down" on the dance floor. There sure is a lot in the mix, yet you mastered it so that no one is missing --I think.
Loved it and loved reading about your process. Great work, had me chair dancing, as they say.
This is a high-energy musical blast.
I loved your selection of RTs, particularly the electric pianos, the talk-box baritone and the two-part funk horn section.
The production is first-class.
Great work,
Mike
We agree with the oldest ... FUN!

Janice was dancing around the kitchen baking and listening to you on her buds.

The complexity of this, i.e., the mashup aspects, is a bit overwhelming as mixing that many tracks is WAY above my mix pay grade.

But you made it work and work well.

Most creative!

As Janice said, "more please!"

J&B
Tangmo,

Super funky,
The combination of Rhodes solo and accompanied guitars are very cool.
Your selection of RTs is wonderful.
Very creative.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
© PG Music Forums