PG Music Home
Posted By: Henry Clarke MAGIC TOUCH - 04/11/21 04:27 PM
I'm not really a Smooth Jazz guy (and it's very little of it in this forum), but I'm demoing styles in BIAB and came across this riff that I just couldn't resist flushing a song out for. It's the rhythm that really captured me. After looping the bars over and over the words "Magic Touch" just popped into my head. From there putting the rest of the song together was not too hard. I actually write better from the "Hook" down. I know everyone has there method but that one works best for me. Not sure if I'm going to remix and release it since this isn't really my genre but I'll see how it goes.

https://youtu.be/zaDIgV0YZvs

Style - _ELTANGO.STY (Electric Tango Jazz Funk)
Bass - Acoustic 917
Drums - Smooth Jazz Cool SW16
Piano - E Piano 906
Guitar 1 - Electric Rhythm 1073
Loop - House Techno Trance emotions 127
Realtracks added:
Sax - Tenor Soloist 1062
Organ - B3 689
Guitar 2 - Soul Guitar 1399
Guitar 3 - Rhythm Guitar 1403
Guitar 4 - Guitar Soloist 1237
Strings - Strings 2952

Equipment:
Band in a Box 2021
Shure PG-42 Microphone
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO USB Interface
Dell XPS w/20GB RAM
DAW: SONAR X3 Producer

Plugins:
Antares Autotune
Antares Vocal Harmonizer
iZotope Nectar2
PX-64 Percussion Strip
Breverb by Cakewalk

Lead Vocal FX Chain:
Nomad PEQ3B EQ
Nomad CP2S Compressor
Nomad Vintage Oilcan Echo TLE2S
Nomad Blueverb
Posted By: Derochette Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/11/21 04:34 PM
Hi Henry,

Very well orchestrated composition. The mix is ​​impeccable. The whole is nice. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Soundchaser Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/11/21 07:42 PM
Great groove. Excellent vocals and mix, and interesting chord progressions.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/11/21 08:57 PM
Really pleasant song!!! The groove is infectious! I usually write R and B from the hook outward myself, so I like the idea! Everything here works very well from my perspective!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/12/21 02:59 AM
As Greg said, a very pleasant sound.

Sounds great on my headphones! But through my speakers the vocal seems distance and lost in reverb.

Solid work, I enjoyed several listens. smile
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/12/21 12:12 PM
Hi Henry this is excellent great mix everything fits great love the vocals and arrangement well done thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/12/21 05:46 PM
Henry,
Very nice, airy tune! Excellent bed and vocals. Great barbed hook smile
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/12/21 07:04 PM
Easy to see how the rhythm section inspired the desire to write. Very romantic and slow-dancey. The progression is lovely and that "Magic Touch" title hooks really sweet. Arrangement and production are top notch. That includes the vocal melody and harmonies.

I'm not really a "listen-to-the-lyrics first" guy usually, but it's worth mentioning that I think your vocal here is soft-enough to not need as much further softening with the reverb. There wasn't much else of the lyric I could make out, so it all depends on how you want to "present".

Anyway, an impressive overall piece and I very much enjoyed moving around with it.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/14/21 04:38 AM
Hey Henry . Great song and the mix is outstanding. Regards to you.
Rob4580
Posted By: Scott C Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/14/21 01:30 PM
Excellent tune. Super vocal. Well done
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/14/21 03:58 PM
It doesn't matter if you write top to bottom, inside to the out, upside down and backwards..... this works.

Nice work. I can come up with easy listening jazz but I don't often pursue that genre because I don't write the words that work or sing it particularly well. You however, have done a good job on this.
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/15/21 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It doesn't matter if you write top to bottom, inside to the out, upside down and backwards..... this works.

Nice work. I can come up with easy listening jazz but I don't often pursue that genre because I don't write the words that work or sing it particularly well. You however, have done a good job on this.

Hmmmmm ... Herb, Quoting you "it doesn't matter if you write top to bottom, inside out, upside down and backwards ..." I think there's a song in that line :-)
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/15/21 10:22 PM
One of the best musicians on the user forum IMHO and this did not disappoint. I did think the vocal could have been more prominent in the mix, but still very enjoyable. Excellent work!
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 04/26/21 12:50 AM
Thanks all for the kind words on Magic Touch. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to listen and comment.

Ok, I've done my Jazz song. Now on to old Skool 70's RnB and Reggae !! yay !!! :-)
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 05/03/21 10:56 PM
SMOOOOOOTH!
Just what I needed to chill me out tonight.

moto
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 05/04/21 05:47 AM
Absolutely extraordinarily good.

This is hauntingly exceptional. Everything fits so perfectly.

Another quality production from you, Henry. Yes, extraordinarily good.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: MAGIC TOUCH - 05/04/21 09:07 AM
Hi Henry,

All sounded great to me - well done.

Singing and BV's - perfect.

Backing - hypnotic drum and bass groove and lots of interest from keys, guitar and sax.

Best Regards
Nigel
© PG Music Forums