PG Music Home
Posted By: Soundchaser Recovery - 04/11/21 05:22 PM
Apologies in advance for my voice. In my real life, I'm in the recovery profession. I thought I'd give a shot at that topic in a song. Hope you like it.

Recovery

When I was falling, I heard you calling
Deep in darkness, lower than low
Lost my anchor, spinning in circles
Hoping you wouldn’t let me go

Let me be the one you count on
Believe it when you think of me
Thank you for your forgiveness
Thank you for my recovery

I want to fight for all you need
And give you my guarantee
It took a minute to lose you
And if it takes a lifetime to win you back, you’ll see

I’m making amends for all I’ve damaged
Humbly crawling my way back home
I’m ready for change, but if I stumble
I’l stand and face the great unknown

Let me be the one you count on
Believe it when you think of me
Thank you for your forgiveness
Thank you for my recovery

BB Real Bass 2580
BB Real Drums RnBModernEv16
BB RealPiano 1639
BB Real Guitar 1637
BB Real Strings 2110 (horn section)

The rest of the guitars (right side acoustic rhythm, Trem and solo) are me.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Recovery - 04/11/21 08:42 PM
Very nice song!!! Love the musical vibe, and a cool lyric!! Your vocal is quite nice actually.....sincere and emotional! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Recovery - 04/12/21 10:55 AM
Nicely done, SC.
Good BAND, good message.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Recovery - 04/12/21 02:01 PM
Excellent tune. Super vocal and lyric. Well done
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Recovery - 04/12/21 05:37 PM
Extra fine song. Great work with that wide melody. That first guitar solo is also effective as it seems to be reaching upwards and that, of course, fits the theme very well. The band is solid and the changes from section to section well thought-out.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Recovery - 04/15/21 12:20 AM
SoundChaser,

I like the write here a lot. The production has all good bones; The vocal is nothing to apologize for—sure there are a couple sharp/flat notes on the high end of your range, but it works and is heartfelt. Sometimes that adds more than a spot on vocal—and I think it does here. Nice work on this.

Kind regards,

Deej
Posted By: rayc Re: Recovery - 04/15/21 06:31 AM
Your voice does the job almost always. There're a few notes that could use support but those notes also add to the sincerity.
Reaper's Reatune is a good, cheap place to tweak the vocals if you really feel the need.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Recovery - 04/15/21 09:22 AM
Great message, Soundchaser.
"It took a minute to lose you
And if it takes a lifetime to win you back, you’ll see"
Yes, and thank you for all you do for others in your "real life."
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Recovery - 04/15/21 10:08 PM
Really good use of BIAB, the band supported you well and was there for you throughout your vocal. Nice job!
Posted By: Soundchaser Re: Recovery - 04/18/21 09:28 AM
Thanks for the tip. Tried out Gsnap, and that seemed to help.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Recovery - 04/18/21 05:55 PM
Nice write! As Deej said, a sincere vocal is better than a perfect vocal. smile

Good arrangement as well. Enjoyable listen.

Sometimes I need to remember to say that before getting all nit-picky and stuff.

I don't know what DAW you're using, but almost all of them will allow you to cut words up and slide them around in time. One of the first things I do with my own vocals is slice them up and normalize them, and then make sure they're aligning the way I want them to. A bit tedious, so you obviously don't want to do that on every word. But hitting the rhythm on the strong beats.

Do this before pitch correction, obviously! wink

If you start using something like Melodyne - and I'm not saying you need to - make sure you focus on singing the notes as "well" as you can. Speaking from personal experience, when you reach for a note out of your range, all sorts of nasty things can happen to bork up the timbre. So even if pitch correction moves the note to the correct pitch, all the scratch/straining/wobble will go with it. It's best to sing the note as high as you can sing it well (after all, some strain adds emotion to the note), and then pitch correct if it's only semi-tone or so off.

I don't want to give the impression I'm writing all this because you're vocal is bad! I just figured if you're going that route I'd give some tips.

Again, nice song! laugh
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Recovery - 04/19/21 05:48 AM
Love the message, good writing.

Nice solo, and I really like the tremolo guitar, works well.

Good song!
© PG Music Forums