PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/18/21 11:20 PM
Hey, all:

TuneMonger wrote and sent this tune my way and asked if I’d be willing to give it a sing. It didn’t take more than a listen for me to respond: “Absolutely”. Just the type of pop-rock vibe that's so fun to sing—and it was a pleasure helping to put it all together.

On a production note, I suggested adding a second electric guitar to TuneMonger’s original mix—the companion RT 998—thinking it would help fill in some of the space between the RT 999 power chords. And then together we searched for a lead guitar solo that worked (at least we hope it does). Beyond that, this song is all Tune's and kudos to him on the write.

As always, never quite sure on the mix, but hoped I did OK there, and any short falling in that department is on my shoulders, not TuneMonger’s. Thanks in advance to any suggestions and feedback. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed working on it.

Here’s the song:

YOU DON'T KNOW

Here are the lyrics:

I don't know a lot about you, it seems
And I haven't found my way to your dreams
But before you let me go, don't just kick the tires
Let's go for a real ride, light each other's fires

You don’t know
I might be the guy who could make you happy
You don’t know
I might be the guy who could set you free
You don’t know
I might be the guy who could make you happy
I don’t know
You might be the woman for me.

I don't know if I am really your type
I’m not exactly sure just what you like
But before we say we're through, let's have one more dance
Look into my eyes and see, I’m crazy for romance

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 995: Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks 999: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzzyA-B Ev 120
RealTracks 998: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispSync Ev 120
RealTracks 1260: Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
RealDrums: RockHardEven8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: rsdean Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/19/21 06:58 AM
Deej / TuneMonger,

Wow - love this!

Great song and mix. It has an early 80's Rick Springfield and/or Tom Petty vibe...

Quite the excellent collaboration!

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/19/21 10:30 AM
Very nice. Man your voice is a perfect fit for this style of pop rock. I heard some brit pop influence in this... Herman's hermits, Paul revere and the raiders kinda stuff.

Nice mix. I thought the guitars were a bit thin or harsh but that's probably a personal preference vs a problem.

Totally enjoyed it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/19/21 07:24 PM
Very cool collaboration. I agree with the Herb this song totally fits your voice and vocal style. Cool lyric TM. Well done
Posted By: Noel96 Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/19/21 08:12 PM
Deej,

I'm always a fan of what you bring to Users' Showcase. You have one of the best voices to listen to. I don't know what it is about your vocals but they sit really comfortably on my psyche.

You and Tunemonger have a crafted an excellent song, and it's arrangement and mix are super!

This sounds like a 100% successful collaboration to me!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Soundchaser Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/19/21 08:15 PM
Really love this one. To me, it's evocative of Squeeze, Rockpile, bands like that. Great guitar work, melody and harmonies.
Posted By: vicarn Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/20/21 10:25 AM
Hi Deej and Tunemonger.
This sounds like what was being produced by 1960's Brit pop groups (Hermans Hermits, Dave Clark five etc.)
Also something The Monkees would have done.

Well done.

Vic
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/20/21 12:37 PM
Nice one, guys!

This is a very well crafted pop song IMHO, not that easy to write or perform convincingly.

Well done Deej and Tunemonger, enjoyed!
Posted By: Derochette Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/20/21 04:07 PM
Hi Deej56 and TuneMonger,

I find that this composition is well done both in the well thought out orchestration and in the lyrics. What I find great about this platform is the collaboration between different club members. It is a symbiosis that brings a plus by sharing your ideas. Here, it is another example because it is a very pleasant composition and the whole is well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: musician17 Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/21/21 03:51 PM
What can I say that hasn't been said before or above? Great, upbeat song ... love its optimism! Deej nails the vocals, the song is truly well written and produced ... thanks for making me smile!
Posted By: dcuny Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/21/21 05:11 PM
Nice groove, starts out catchy and keeps on.

The chorus sounds more '60s than modern - and that's good.

I can imagine claps being added to the chorus, in rhythm with the guitar in the right channel.

Really love the sound of this.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/23/21 11:31 AM
I have to thank Deej for his efforts on this tune. What a vocal!! I regularly pay vocalists on fiverr to sing my songs and very few of them can touch his chops. And what a great guy to work with - very patient and considerate.

Thanks, also, to the users who've commented so far. What a thrill to be part of this amazing music community.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/23/21 12:41 PM
Deej and Tunemonger,
Who better to sing a catchy,spunky retro pop song like this than Deej! Excellent straightforward write which needs someone with energy to sing well.Cool guitar solo takes the style past the 60`s.
Really enjoyable music guys!

Robert
Deej and Tunemonger,

Great collaboration.
Filled with 1960's British pop groups' feel.
I completely agree with Noel.
You have one of the best voices to listen to in this forum.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/24/21 10:49 AM
Here are some things I DO know. Although I know I'm not the guy who'll make either of you happy, this is a wonderful song. Your voice is perfect for this, Deej. TuneMonger, I always like how well your lyrics are written, both for the story AND for the vocalist, and your music makes it so much more fun to sing along. Well done. All the boxes checked with a bold X.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/24/21 08:44 PM
A fun listen!!! Really good work by both parties!! Enjoyed it!! I think that's Darin Favorite?....my fave for this type of track! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/25/21 02:38 AM
Fun stuff, nice arrangement but the bass seems a little loud.
There's space at the end of the lines in the chorus for a guitar figure or a little riff.
The solo works.
Nice work..bouncy and fun.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/26/21 03:55 PM
TM & Deej,

Y'all knocked this one outta-the-park.

I agree with the 60's Pop references. A great era for AM radio hits! (I'd add Freddie and the Dreamers and Gary Lewis and the Playboys to the list of "sounds like"). This would have easily shot straight to the top of those charts. Deej and the Tunemongers!! (cue the screaming teen girls)

The production is perfect to capture the era, too. And...the vocals fits perfectly as well. Well done in all regards.

Loved the listen!

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/26/21 07:29 PM
Deej / Tunemonger

Lovely work and a brilliant chorus, well played written and arranged.

Top quality pop rock write and performance.

Peter
You are in my favorite musical era with this one...Although I do see the Partridge Family doing this one (except for the guitar solo--don' think Keith could handle it grin )

Cool song and well performed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/26/21 08:34 PM
Super song. I got a Freddie and the Dreamers vibe on this one.

Both of you should be very proud of this masterpiece.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/27/21 02:46 PM
Hey DJ,

I am so glad you decided to cover this great Tunemonger song.

Love the production. Sounds like a radio song from the good old days.

smile
Posted By: Deej56 Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/28/21 12:45 AM
Bob, Guitarhacker, Scott, Noel, Soundchaser, Vic, Dave, Derochette, musician17, David C., Robert, Shigeki, Marty, Greg, rayc, Floyd, Peter, Ezekiel, Mario, and David S.:

Thanks so much for the listens and all the great feedback. The purest joy I get from all of it is reassurance that I didn’t screw up TuneMonger’s great song, LOL! Tune is a pleasure to work with, and my thanks to him for his patience, tolerance and wisdom along the way. A comment or two below.

Guitarhacker: I went back into the mix and tried to being down the harshness of the guitars a tad. I haven’t gotten around to reposting the remix . . . but I will . . . though I’m not the difference is substantially discernible. I’ll leave that to better ears than mine to decide.

Vic: Ha! Love those bands . . . just learned a rough version of “There’s a Kind of Hush” and my buddy and I play “Because” by the Dave Clark Five all the time. Fun stuff to play and sing!

David C: Good thought on adding claps to the chorus . . . At first I wasn’t quite satisfied with the harmonies in the chorus, feeling like there was something missing—that extra pop. I think you are on a better track with that suggestion.

Floyd and Mario: You see, now I’m going have to Google Freddie and the Dreamers—I’m sure I’ll know their tunes, but can’t say what they are top of mind.

Ezekiel: Wow, the Partridge Family . . . yeah, I could totally see them doing this song.

Thanks everyone for stopping. My best to you all!

Deej
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/30/21 06:40 PM
For us a definite best of the Monkees vibe meshed with some classic brit rock sound. And lest that put off some folks the Monkees did some excellent songs that are well worth ferreting out.

All is good mix wise on the KRK's.

You sang a well written lyric very well. Nice phrasing indeed.

Kudos to the team!

J&B
Posted By: Leon1 Re: You Don't Know (A TuneMonger Cover) - 04/30/21 11:52 PM
Excellent collaboration, guys. A very well crafted pop song beautifully sung by Deej (as always). The guitar solo you picked works a treat. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon
© PG Music Forums