PG Music Home
Posted By: NigelSpiers Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/23/21 01:07 PM
Spark In The Night

A Jazzy Blues Song about a relationship break-up.

Featuring:
Vocals - Susan de Jong
Guitar - Mike Arthur
Organ - Nigel Spiers

Written and produced by Nigel Spiers

The backing instruments are all MIDI using the BIAB -BLTRACY.STY Style.

Another song from the album US Odyssey

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/25/21 09:02 PM
Hi Folks,

I forgot to mention - all musicians are from Christchurch, New Zealand.

Are there any other contributors here from New Zealand?

I would love to hear your songs.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 12:46 AM
Ok Nigel ... This is my kind of song !!! :-) Man you can sing and play this anywhere and get a great response. Great rhythm, SOULFUL singing ... this one had me tapping my foot and rocking my head back and forth. One of the best blues songs I've heard on the forum. Playing is excellent and SHE CAN SING !! I actually smiled when I clicked on it. Also thanks for NOT posting lyrics. I don't need to read lyrics. It's a song and not a poem :-) I want the singer to capture me with their phrasing and not get caught up on what exact word they used. Again, a fun track to listen to. Reminds me of my days in the "beer joints" back in the day in Virginia !! :-)
Posted By: dcuny Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 02:47 AM
Hi, Nigel.

Solid blues intro. Vocalist (Susan) sounds great, guitar (Mike) is sneaking in nice licks between phrases - nice work on the solo.

I'm curious what VSTi you're using for the drum.

The mix sounds great through my headphones. smile
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 03:22 AM
Great song Nigel and a very professional sound. your live trio sounds like it works together often.
Nice touches everywhere - vocals, guitar, organ, production.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 03:47 AM
Hi David,

Drums - good question - I think it was just the good old Coyote. But this was initially written way back in 2006 when the Real Drums made their first appearance so maybe it was a Real drums track.

I am a huge fan of Real Drums and Real Tracks however when I go back and listen to some of those all MIDI styles - some of them were simply inspired!

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 04:32 PM
Nigel,

An enjoyable listen. Nice song.

Susan's vocal is excellent. Mike's guitar is sweet - kind of a mix of Mark Knopfler and Robert Cray (hard to beat that combination).

Good mix. Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 07:21 PM
Very nice blues, some excellent singing and lovely playing.

Don't think there are a lot of people posting from New Zealand here, a few Australians (like me).

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 08:50 PM
Outstanding blues! I got a Robert Cray, Peaches, Leon Russel, and George Benson jam vibe for this one.

Excellent blues that you all should be very proud.

I loved this!
Posted By: bluage Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/26/21 10:34 PM
Mr. Spiers...

Nicely-done blues number served with a side-order of hot and spicy funk sauce to lick off of your fingers! The excellence of the electric guitar and organ performances accompanying Ms. de Jong's assertive, sassy vocal make the production sound 'live' and in-your-face, as it would if the band were playing a club date. Sure to get everyone moving in their seats!
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/27/21 12:34 AM
Hi Peter,

I think you are right re NZ.

You may be interested to know that singer Susan de Jong is Australian. I believe she may have originally come from Adelaide. She lived in NZ for 10+ years and was the Vocal teacher at The Christchurch Jazz School. I know she is now living and performing in Melbourne.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 04/27/21 09:48 AM
Lots to like about everything in this song.

Dynamic intro.

Great vocal delivery.

Perfect band.

Yes, lots to like.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 05/03/21 05:32 PM
All the elements came together well, really enjoyed it. Many comparisons have been made, I got The Thrill is Gone out of it. Nice work.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 05/09/21 12:03 PM
wow! this kicks off in a way that kept my interest. Great sound and vocals. Good ending too. SOunds professional!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 05/09/21 01:33 PM
Hi Nigel great production awesome grove well mixed super listen thanks Eric
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Spark In The Night - Jazzy Blues - 05/11/21 06:13 PM
Classy sophisticated blues.

Well done all the way around:
- vocal
- guitar
- write
- the "band"

And the mix sounded excellent on the KRK's.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
© PG Music Forums