PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/25/21 10:13 AM

Rainin' on StormCloud . er I mean SoundCloud
Rainin' on YouTube
Lyrics are in both the video and on Soundcloud.

Rainin'. A song about a guy getting dumped during a heavy rain, and he is stuck in the moment, I guess. Personally I like rain. A sad progression started coming out of the guitar in my hands, so I wrote about how sad it is when someone just can't move on.

For the bridge I had to add a 2nd bass track. One is doing the high 1-5-8 type pattern along with the midi, but the bottom was noticeably missing. No way I could play both simultaneously on a four-string. The fiddle in the bridge just plays quarter-note double stops. That's another HUGE benefit of this program. Imagine the cost of hiring a violinist to play just those parts. Originally I had a trumpet solo that surely sounded out of place, so Dave Bell (Blue Attitude) graciously agreed to adding an 8-bar solo --another HUGE benefit of this forum. Dave actually put aside his Blues Chapeau, and tried on a Country hat. It fit perfectly.

Style is _PJONPBA.STY (Pop Ballad Piano & Acoustic Guit)

RealTracks in song: 2024:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3163:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BluesyPopSteady8thsBrent Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 2667:Pedal Steel, Background DreamySingleNote Ev 075
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
RealTracks in song: 594:Fiddle
Rain sounds from an old album I have.

Dave Bell –solo guitar
Me –Bass, vocal, midi
Posted By: vicarn Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/25/21 01:33 PM
Nice one overall Marty.
I like the muted guitar pitter patter.

Vic
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/25/21 01:36 PM
Marty,
Excellent vocal! ( nicely processed too). The sky empathizes with the dumped guy; a strong image that we can all relate too.I`ve already been out and gotten soaked this morning so your song has helped me dry out.
The fiddle scratch does work well (those newer Fiddle RT`s are some of the best newer Biab tracks I think), and Dave changes tone but his style still comes through.
Well done.

Robert
Posted By: musician17 Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/25/21 02:04 PM
So much talent, you have, Marty. Wow.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/25/21 05:36 PM
Very nice! smile

Love the bridge! Good write, cool stuff going on with the arrangement (like the guitar solo).
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/25/21 05:58 PM
Outstanding song! Love that violin rain double drops!

Great vocal! I could feel the pain. Loved the backing tracks and mix, spot on!
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 12:36 AM
Nice song and nice vocal !!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 01:21 AM
I went with the video. Very good production. The vocal quality is so rich. Way to go. The music is well mixed. Great lead guitar work and nice, steady bass. Good work. Cool song. Reminds me of something from the Phil Spector early 60s rock era.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 02:53 AM
It's rainin' so we can't go outside ....but we can stay inside and listen to this gem.
Lovely song Marty with terrific vocals.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 08:09 AM
Marty / Dave,

This is truly a great song. I love the arrangement and production. Awesome solo by Dave and an outstanding vocal by Marty, which reminds me a bit of Gene Pitney...

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 01:40 PM
Terrific song, Marty, I was moved. Loved the production and the 'liner notes.' Hats off to all.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 03:49 PM
Dumped in rain or not, afterwards it surely feels like raining all the time. Clever idea to use fiddle for the raindrops, the chorus is also nicely mixed to given impression of heavier rain (and the baritone guitar for lighter rain).
Nice chord progression, lovely solo by Dave and enjoyable emotional vocal track.

Janne
Posted By: PeterF Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/26/21 07:34 PM
Marty

Lovely arrangement, inspired choice of RT's and real instruments.

Excellent emotive vocal. Really like Dave's note choices in his solo.

Excellent all round.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/27/21 11:23 AM
Marty,

Excellent!

A good Country write! (you might need to swap out for a cowboy hat!).
Killer vocal. Heartfelt.

Gorgeous production. LOVE what you did with the fiddle! and then the chunk guitar... Super mix.

Dave guitar is a perfect fit.

One of your best!

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/27/21 05:16 PM

Hey this sounds great guys!

I really enjoyed it from beginning to end!

smile
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/28/21 12:50 AM
Marty,

Love those effects to start of the song—totally sets the mood and well mixed into the song. I think the effects on the vocal are spot on—just right reverb/delay for the song. And, wow, that vocal—I think it’s my favorite from you—just killer, full of passion. Just outstanding work—

My very humble regards,

Deej
Posted By: Scott C Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/28/21 01:56 PM
Had a listen to this song when it popped up on Facebook. Love that intro. Exceptional vocal Marty. Daves guitar was perfect for the song. Very cool tone. Lovely bass lines. Chorus was very cool. Well done
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/28/21 09:04 PM
This is my style of song.

Your vocal is wonderful, both tone and expression.

Dave's solo fits the genre just right, like baby bear porridge. smile
Posted By: bluage Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/28/21 09:44 PM
'BabuMusic'...

This song made me feel miserable. I mean, what could be worse than being jilted while your clothing is soaking wet and you're probably feeling pretty cold, too? Damn! Could somebody fetch the guy a warm, dry bath towel, for cryin' out loud? laugh

I'm kidding around a bit, here, but seriously, the man's pain and sorrow are vividly expressed through the relentlessly despairing lyrics (as sung by you), and the palpable sense of loss in the music.

Mr. Bell's solo electric gee-tar actually warms the song up a little, as the sorrowful notes he plays actually arouse sympathy for the poor guy standing in the rain. I liked the teardrop effect produced by the fiddle playing pizzicato notes, too.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/29/21 10:41 AM
Thanks so much for the listen and taking the time to comment, Vic, Robert, James, David, Mario, Henry, jptjptjpt, Gary, Bob, TuneMonger, Janne, Peter, Floyd, David, Deej, Scott, Ezekiel, Bluage. That's from memory; sorry if I missed anyone. hehe. If I took the time to reply with gratitude to each of you, I wouldn't have enough left to hear what you post. But believe me, I enjoy each and every comment. THANKS!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/30/21 11:49 AM
Thanks to everyone that mentioned my small part in this song, and thanks to Marty for the invite! smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/30/21 06:17 PM
Man, you are stretching our your vocals a bit on this and it sounds most excellent. Well done!

Country? Maybe but it is assuredly a fine Americana/Singer Songwriter tune and would fit right in with many of our playlists.

The mix is standout. ALL of the backing tracks are in the pocket re supporting the lyric and melody. Dave's bit is sublime.

The bass lines are most cool ... as are the vid photos!

Enjoyed it big time.

J&B

PS Janice mentioned how much this reminded her of several cuts on Dion's latest.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/30/21 10:53 PM
Marty & Dave.

Sorry I am late for the party. I assure you this was on my "to listen" list and just found perfect time to listen to it.
Beauty! Wonderful resurrection. On a softer side, easy listening, but not without a solid backbone. Some very intricate vocal passages and musical twists. Nice classy strings. Dave... he knows what he is doing, even in a country hat smile Marty, nice photos!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 04/30/21 11:33 PM
Hi Marty.
The vocal on this song is one of your best, I reckon. Dave's solo fits beautifully and the rain and thunder effects really enhance the mood. Love it.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: firesong Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 05/01/21 07:40 PM
Marty...really nice song...love those country ballads...the instrumentation was spot on with the theme and great vocal ...total presentation was cool and th3e solo was exceptional...thanks for sharing...Dan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 05/02/21 10:03 AM
Thanks for all your help, Dave (and especially for helping me kick that trumpet player to the curb). Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment Janice & Bud, Misha, Leon and Dan. I REALLY appreciate your encouragement.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Rainin' (with Dave Bell) - 05/03/21 11:11 PM
The good thing about crying in the rain is it hides your tears.

Well put together and delivered with excellence.

Your vocals really make it special.

moto
© PG Music Forums