PG Music Home
Posted By: bluage "Signs" - 04/29/21 08:50 PM
"Signs"

A jazz ballad with me performing the vocal.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14220332

Style is _J085_GB.STY (Cool Jazz Ballad)
Key = Ebm, Tempo @ 80, Meter = 4/4

Real Tracks:

#481: Acoustic bass by Neil Swainson
#484: Electric guitar by Oliver Gannon
#2391: Tenor sax solo by Eric Alexander
#1223: Vibes by Steve Nelson
RealDrums by Craig Scott

VERSE ONE

Signs in your eyes, they don't lie, so don't you,
I've been replaced, but by who?

VERSE TWO

Signs, on your face, make the case, you're in love,
With someone who isn't me

BRIDGE

Why do I cry, when I know that it's hopeless?
And why won't you just set me free?
Your alibis cannot disguise what you won't confess
Does the truth hurt you more than me?

VERSE THREE

Signs in your eyes, they don't lie, so don't you,
I've been replaced, but by who?

VERSE FOUR

Signs on your face make the case you're in love,
With someone who isn't me...

Posted By: dcuny Re: "Signs" - 04/29/21 09:48 PM
Hi, Loren.

Cool relaxed jazz ballad. Nicely sung.

The entrance of the sax made me almost fall out of my chair. laugh

The flute was a pleasant surprise. Neat ending in the vibes.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: "Signs" - 04/30/21 12:19 PM
LOREN,

A really nice jazz ballad.

Good BAND. Nice use of vibes.

You have a good voice for the style. Smooth. A cool timbre...

Well done.

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: "Signs" - 04/30/21 12:28 PM
Loren,

I think that is the first time I have heard you sing - very impressive!

Love the laid back feel of this song and the mix is great.

Bob
Posted By: Tangmo Re: "Signs" - 05/01/21 06:00 PM
shades of some classy jazz from a decade I didn't attend. Crooning vocals keeping up with the changes impressively. Great little combo with some sweet surprises. All in all, a sweet slice of that nostalgia that never goes away (and never will, with any luck).
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 09:40 AM
Excellent melody, and the perfect arrangement. Great choices on instruments. Well sung and highly polished, Loren.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 10:29 AM
Hi Loren
I don't know why but from the get go I am transported to a nightclub at 2.00 AM and the real action is just getting started
"Signs on your face make the case you're in love With someone who isn't me"
Damn , I want to know what the lady has to say! Maybe you can reveal the outcome in your next song.
I love the pressence and seperation of the drums and bass and all other instruments are nicely placed in the mix which gives a sense of space and depth.I can imagine Sinatra doing this fine song. Funny how jazz can sometimes Outblues the Blues.I enjoyed this , well done.
cheers
Gary.
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 02:42 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Loren.

Cool relaxed jazz ballad. Nicely sung.

The entrance of the sax made me almost fall out of my chair. laugh

The flute was a pleasant surprise. Neat ending in the vibes.

Mr. Cuny...

I am as impressed with the economy of your expression as I am grateful for your comments on the song. Thank you for listening.
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
LOREN,

A really nice jazz ballad.

Good BAND. Nice use of vibes.

You have a good voice for the style. Smooth. A cool timbre...

Well done.

fj

Mr. Floyd Jane...

Nice to hear from you, sir! Thank you for commenting so positively on the song.
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Loren,

I think that is the first time I have heard you sing - very impressive!

Love the laid back feel of this song and the mix is great.

Bob

Hello, 'rsdean'...

Thank you for expressing the pleasure you experienced while listening to the song!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
shades of some classy jazz from a decade I didn't attend. Crooning vocals keeping up with the changes impressively. Great little combo with some sweet surprises. All in all, a sweet slice of that nostalgia that never goes away (and never will, with any luck).

Hello, 'Tangmo'...

Your comments sound like liner notes on a record album, very stylish, compact and entertaining. Thank you, sir!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Excellent melody, and the perfect arrangement. Great choices on instruments. Well sung and highly polished, Loren.

Hello, 'BabuMusic'...

Thanks for listening and also for your encouraging comments!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Loren
I don't know why but from the get go I am transported to a nightclub at 2.00 AM and the real action is just getting started
"Signs on your face make the case you're in love With someone who isn't me"
Damn , I want to know what the lady has to say! Maybe you can reveal the outcome in your next song.
I love the pressence and seperation of the drums and bass and all other instruments are nicely placed in the mix which gives a sense of space and depth.I can imagine Sinatra doing this fine song. Funny how jazz can sometimes Outblues the Blues.I enjoyed this , well done.
cheers
Gary.

Hello, Mr. Weder...

If am successful in regaining the lady's attention, the title of her song would probably be something like, "What Part of My Signs Did You Not Understand, Buster?", ha, ha! I am especially grateful to you for comments on the mix. Sinatra, eh? That would be just fine with me! Thank you for listening to the song, Mr. Weder.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 04:55 PM
Wow, I really liked this. I liked where your melody went. Great vocal. Excellent work.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "Signs" - 05/02/21 05:24 PM
If am successful in regaining the lady's attention, the title of her song would probably be something like, "What Part of My Signs Did You Not Understand, Buster?"

:):):)

One word immediately comes to mind ... CLASSY

Janice said she was taken back to a very cool jazz bar that we visited in Charleston SC many years ago.
Your write is very emotive and the vocal picked that up and nailed the feeling.

Your band is excellent! How long have you been playing with those guys/gals? smile

And your mix set up the perfect soundstage on our monitors with a genuinely live feel.

Good to see you around and we much enjoyed your re-entry.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: "Signs" - 05/03/21 04:02 AM
Loren

I liked it.

Peter

I'll just elaborate a touch - vocals were very genre appropriate and as Bud said classy. Very nice backing by the band and overall a very polished composition.
Posted By: Scott C Re: "Signs" - 05/03/21 10:31 PM
Cool tune Loren. Excellent vocal. Loved the backtrack. Sax was a really nice add. Very well done...
Posted By: jannesan Re: "Signs" - 05/04/21 01:58 PM
A cinematic and ageless story which is easy to relate. "Does the truth hurt you more than me?" strong write. The suffering in the vocals is nicely present. The chorus melody is pleasantly unexpected.
Great sounding nightclub band, the flute part is very tasty and I like the vibe ending, could have been even longer.

Janne

P.S. Cry Me A River started playing in my head after I stopped listening to your song. Maybe I need few more listenings smile

Posted By: Robertkc Re: "Signs" - 05/04/21 06:27 PM
Loren,
This is an excellent lyric; the hurt tempered by a hint of world-weary humour that keeps the mood afloat... as does your resonant vocal and genre-perfect arrangement.
This is a rarely heard style here and you present it with class.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: "Signs" - 05/04/21 08:21 PM
Loren,
Some serious crooning Jazz you got going here. Excellent composition. Liked this line:
"Your alibis cannot disguise what you won't confess
Does the truth hurt you more than me?"
Super vocals! Mix and production is PRO level. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: "Signs" - 05/04/21 11:32 PM
Nice arrangement my friend. Lyrics and vocals superb, heart felt.

Mike B.
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Wow, I really liked this. I liked where your melody went. Great vocal. Excellent work.

'TuneMonger', thank you for listening to the song and commenting on it!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
If am successful in regaining the lady's attention, the title of her song would probably be something like, "What Part of My Signs Did You Not Understand, Buster?"

:):):)

One word immediately comes to mind ... CLASSY

Janice said she was taken back to a very cool jazz bar that we visited in Charleston SC many years ago.
Your write is very emotive and the vocal picked that up and nailed the feeling.

Your band is excellent! How long have you been playing with those guys/gals? smile

And your mix set up the perfect soundstage on our monitors with a genuinely live feel.

Good to see you around and we much enjoyed your re-entry.

J&B

Dear Bud & Ms. Janice...

Music was made to be listened to, so I'm deeply grateful that you listened to 'Sighns' and revealed what you enjoyed about it! Concerning 'the band', all praise must go to Band-in-a-Box software that makes desktop musicians sound like professional performers.
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Loren

I liked it.

Peter

I'll just elaborate a touch - vocals were very genre appropriate and as Bud said classy. Very nice backing by the band and overall a very polished composition.

'PeterF', thank you for listening so closely to the song and providing specific feedback!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune Loren. Excellent vocal. Loved the backtrack. Sax was a really nice add. Very well done...

Hello, 'Scott C'...

Thank you for listening and sharing your thoughts about the song!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
A cinematic and ageless story which is easy to relate. "Does the truth hurt you more than me?" strong write. The suffering in the vocals is nicely present. The chorus melody is pleasantly unexpected.
Great sounding nightclub band, the flute part is very tasty and I like the vibe ending, could have been even longer.

Janne

P.S. Cry Me A River started playing in my head after I stopped listening to your song. Maybe I need few more listenings smile

Hello, 'jannesan'. I think your recall of 'Cry Me A River' is a flattering response to your audition of my song. Julie London's performance was unforgettable!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Loren,
This is an excellent lyric; the hurt tempered by a hint of world-weary humour that keeps the mood afloat... as does your resonant vocal and genre-perfect arrangement.
This is a rarely heard style here and you present it with class.

Robert

'Robertkc', your comments about the song are very gratifying. Thanks for listening!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Loren,
Some serious crooning Jazz you got going here. Excellent composition. Liked this line:
"Your alibis cannot disguise what you won't confess
Does the truth hurt you more than me?"
Super vocals! Mix and production is PRO level. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hello, Misha. I'm happy to receive your compliments about the song. Thank you!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/05/21 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Nice arrangement my friend. Lyrics and vocals superb, heart felt.

Mike B.

Dear Mike B. a.k.a. 'cubanpete'...

From one creator of jazz music to another, I am honored to have you out there in the audience. Thank you for sharing what you felt about the song!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: "Signs" - 05/06/21 04:18 AM
Hi Loren,

I love that Oliver Gannon (famous brother of Peter Gannon) guitar Realtrack. Oliver's flair for jazz is extraordinary.

Your flair for jazz is equally extraordinary. I have no idea how you managed to sing so comfortably against all those extended chords! I'm very, very envious. I find that when I move away from major and minor sounds, I'm really challenged to stay in tune. You did a brilliant job!

I thoroughly loved this smooth and elegant ride in the land of jazz.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/08/21 08:35 PM
"I have no idea how you managed to sing so comfortably against all those extended chords!"

All the best,
Noel [/quote]

Hello, 'Noel96' ...

I believe that musicians/performers sing songs that makes them feel that they are expressing, releasing, giving up, all of who and what they are, totally. That's why there's such an infinitude of musical genres, styles, whatever. That such unlimited variety of musical vibrations exists in our souls and in the universe, is an on-going miracle!

Thank you for listening and commenting on the song.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: "Signs" - 05/08/21 08:51 PM
Very Sinatra-esk.... nicely done. I wouldn't have a clue how to sing a jazz song. I've done a few instrumentals with guitar but I wouldn't risk trying to sing it.

Totally cool.
Posted By: MarioD Re: "Signs" - 05/08/21 09:06 PM
Super smooth vocal! Perfect jazz backing tracks in a great mix.

I really enjoyed this and you should do more in this genre.
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/10/21 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Super smooth vocal! Perfect jazz backing tracks in a great mix.

I really enjoyed this and you should do more in this genre.

Mr. 'MarioD'...

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the song and offering such encouraging comments!
Posted By: bluage Re: "Signs" - 05/10/21 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Very Sinatra-esk.... nicely done. I wouldn't have a clue how to sing a jazz song. I've done a few instrumentals with guitar but I wouldn't risk trying to sing it.

Totally cool.

Hey, there, 'Guitarhacker'...

I didn't 'have a clue how to sing a jazz song' until after years and years of listening to the pros do it!

Thanks for listening and commenting. When ya gonna post those guitar instrumentals so we can enjoy hearing the jazz heart of Mr. Herb Hartley ??? smile
© PG Music Forums