PG Music Home
Posted By: TuneMonger Rescued - 05/02/21 05:33 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/rescued

Here's my latest song (link is above). The title is Rescued, although that word does not appear in the lyrics. The singer is Richko from fiverr.

Realtracks are:

1636:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
2505:Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
664:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085
2773:Harp, Rhythm Celtic16ths Ev16 075
1949:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100
RealDrums [in Song:SouthernPop16RnB^03-a:Hat, Snare, b:Ride, Snare

Lyrics:

I was in trouble, things looked bad for me
People wrote me off, but you, you disagreed
Now we're through the worst, never thought I'd say
Life is good to me, and I think every day

Baby baby baby baby baby,
You're the one that set her mind to save me, oooooh
Baby baby baby baby baby,
I'll tell you every day, yours is the only way

I threw the towel in, life had beaten me
You found me lying helpless, saw what I could be
I cannot repay you, but I'm gonna try,
To be the kind of man, on whom you can rely ooh

I'll never know what magic you possess,
That set me on my feet and let me be my best,
Every day I thank the gods that brought you here to me,
And if they don't exist at least you're mine eternally
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Rescued - 05/02/21 08:14 PM
Hi,

Song - Sounds nice.

Vocal - vocal needs an EQ cut in the lower mids because it's masking some of the backing instruments.

Mix - Vocal also needs to be a lot lower in volume - it pops right out of the mix.

I would like to hear a remix of this song.

Best Regards
Nigel
Mix -
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 12:35 AM
Hi TM
I think you have hit a home run with this song . It has a strong chorus which I like immensely. Very subjectively speaking and IMO ; I really want to hear a remix with a more contemporary backing (dodging flying fruit and jeers). It is a good, strong, well built house with good bones. But I would change the interior decorating. Your song has the effect on me to want to pick up the guitar to strum and sing along so perhaps it is just fine the way it is.
Congrats for an excellent song TM
cheers
Gary.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 03:38 AM
Nice song, very pleasant melody and performance.

The vocal is pretty loud and I'd probably prefer a guitar to the harp but purely subjective.

A good song.

Peter
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 04:58 AM
I dropped the compressor by 2db and the vocal volume by 2db. I put in a low mid cut but it may not have been enough to satisfy some ears. Frankly, the vocal volume is inconsistent and it's never going to sound perfect. As far as the vocal masking the other instruments, my ears simply do not hear that. I can hear the other instruments fine. At this point I want to keep the harp, there are enough guitar-centered songs in the world. The harp is different, I like it a lot and feel it works. There is an acoustic guitar on the track.
Thanks to all for your constructive comments, I appreciate them. I can make more changes as needed, let me know.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 07:54 AM
Hi,

Just had a listen to the remix - much much better - well done.

Yes there are a few spots where the vocal disappears or pops out. These can only be fixed with manual volume editing. They cannot be fixed with EQ or compression. It is time consuming but I think it is worth it on this song. You are singing in tune (a very rare commodity with songs on this forum) - so the effort would be worth it.

Yes - I like the harp - definitely a point of difference.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 11:17 AM
TM,

A really nice write. Especially nice melody - very "sing-able". The chorus is strong!

The harp is a cool choice.

Nice stop at the end of the chorus. The mix sounds good.
The 1st verse vocal seemed very slightly too soft (maybe 1 dB?). But beginning with the first chorus is was good, in a good place.
The piano was a good solo choice.

Enjoyed several listens.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 05:32 PM
Nice song with a good vocal. I really liked the harp and piano. I thought your vocal was very strong and the mix was very good.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Rescued - 05/03/21 10:36 PM
Excellent tune. Super vocal and lyric. Backtrack was a really nice bed for the song. Well done. Harp was a cool add...
Posted By: jannesan Re: Rescued - 05/04/21 01:43 PM
Beautiful melody and soulful chord progression (especially in the chorus) and the enjoyable vocalist surrounded by the warmth of strong love present in the lyrics give very pleasant listening experience. The harp and the acoustic piano sounded bit rough on the first hearing, but I got used to them - maybe they could be soften in the mix, but otherwise good idea to use them - they set up a timeless mood.

Janne
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Rescued - 05/04/21 06:18 PM
Tunemonger,
You have a good ear for soulful melodies; this is really catchy in a gentle way- had me singing along by the end.
The singer has a good smooth voice and ( listening to the redux I think) the processing is close.
The harp was an imaginative choice that I enjoyed... were it mine I might have moved it back in the mix a little but that`s nitpicking of a very enjoyable song.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Rescued - 05/04/21 08:07 PM
TuneMonger.
Solid composition. Easy going, smooth tune. Listens very well. An interesting scale you used. Richko done a good job, but I agree with comments above on level of vocals. Harp sounds good and is a nice fit, but if I tried to mix it, I would try to ride volume through the tune. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Rescued - 05/05/21 03:05 AM
This is a really nice song - pleasant, memorable, catchy chorus.

Not a great recording, but that doesn't matter. The song still comes through.

I like this song a lot! laugh
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rescued - 05/08/21 04:59 PM
Awesome!

We love:

The arrangement
The write
The progression
The band (great pianos and harp)
The vocalist (he earned his keep)
The mix

Simply stated this is a FINE love song.

J&B
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: Rescued - 05/08/21 05:09 PM
When I first started listening to this marvelous song, it brought back the 70's and one particular song by 10cc, I'm Not In Love. This was a very well put together song, that I really enjoyed.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Rescued - 05/09/21 12:31 PM
wow! the vocals pop on this and i like the mellow music supporting this. The music is interesting itself. Good song!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Rescued - 05/09/21 01:44 PM
Hi tunemonger great job all around on this as far as the vocal excellent there is a place or to were the highs jump out a bit however very good job on this thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Rescued - 05/10/21 10:23 AM
What a fine song, TuneMonger. Yes, I like the harp, too. The vocalist is fine, and, like Nigel said, it would take some well-spent time to normalize his volume. Rescued is the perfect title. There are no words in the lyrics that jump out as the title, and Rescued is exactly what happened to the singer.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Rescued - 05/10/21 01:19 PM
Bravo! A well written soulful tune. The band sounded great and Richko nailed it. Good job.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Rescued - 05/10/21 02:24 PM
Oh Baby!

Nice groove.

moto
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Rescued - 05/10/21 04:40 PM
Ah yes, quality throughout.

Beautiful lyrics, encapsulated into a solid musical accompaniment, and delivered with a sensational vocal.

Everything about this production and presentation is first class.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Rescued - 05/14/21 08:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented on this tune. I was a little disappointed with the vocal, but as Nigel pointed out, he sang in tune and that is worthy in itself. I still may keep this one in my back pocket for the day a good rnb singer crosses my path. There are some good rnb singers on fiverr but they want way more money than I am willing to pony up.

By the comments, I need to do a better job mixing. I think the only answer to that is to have somebody else do the mix. I may have this one mixed, because in truth, I think this is one of the best songs I've ever done and I'm thrilled with the melody. It just goes to show, perhaps, how important a good mix is, and that a bad mix can prevent listeners from hearing the song.

Also - I kinda phoned in the lyrics, I think, in order to get the song out. I'm glad nobody seemed to feel that way.

Thanks again to all.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Rescued - 05/15/21 04:24 PM
Hi TuneMonger,

It is a very nice use of the Harp and a very nice declaration of love. Your composition is pleasant by its harmonies and by the instruments used. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rescued - 05/21/21 03:26 AM
Hi Tunemonger!

Wow!!! This is quality listening through and through.

I LOVE those vocals. Richko's singing is confident, easy and free spirited. It's the perfect choice for your song.

I really love what you've done and the journey that you just took me on.

It's enthusiastic applause from me smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: rayc Re: Rescued - 05/21/21 06:28 AM
The vocal is a bit "essy" and thin...would not work cutting any mids.
The Beber beginning to the chorus belies the rest of the lyric's solid narrative.
The piano and harp do fight with each other for sonic space... rendering the piano to mono and pan it opposite the harp would probably clear that issue.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Rescued - 05/21/21 11:48 AM
Hi Tunemonger,

It's been a while since I first listened to your song.

It appears you may have done a remix - it sound much, much better.

In particular the vocals sit much better in the mix. They could be improved further with a little editing in your DAW - a few notes pop out and some of the phrases are a bit quiet. But this is not critical.

I don't think you need to change vocalist - the current vocals suit the song.

Panning the piano and harp left and right - yes good idea but again not critical.

Well done!

Best Regards
Nigel
© PG Music Forums