PG Music Home
Posted By: Derochette Beach of love - 05/08/21 06:48 PM
Hello nice members of the biab,

I have fallen behind in my comments on your compositions and I apologize for it. I will make up for this delay in the coming days.
Here I submit to you an unfinished instrumental composition. For me, it lacks variations or it is too long. Your turn to judge. Thank you in advance for your advice.

The style is ballad with guitar and mandolin. The construction is the same as for my previous instrumental compositions. I always use the Biab vst at the start. I am looking for midi arrangements that I am restructuring in the pianoroll of my daw studio one. Thank you in advance for your comments or advice on this instrumental composition.

the link to this compo is :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631/the-beach-of-love

The link to my other compos is :
https://soundcloud.com/user-318966631

Kindly regard
Derochette
alis JaniJackFlash
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Beach of love - 05/08/21 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Here I submit to you an unfinished instrumental composition. For me, it lacks variations or it is too long. Your turn to judge. Thank you in advance for your advice. The style is ballad with guitar and mandolin.

Well howdy Derrochete....(after (2) listens)

More importantly, I enjoy all your compositions.
They're easy to listen to and it's obvious that you spent time on them.

Regarding the above:
I would not consider this a 'ballad' even if you used the 'ballad' style.
To me, this is a soundtrack composition and should be defined as such.
There are thematic elements/phrases that could be revisited (motif) during the whole composition depending on how you decide to arrange it.

In this context...yes...it could be shorter and a bit more organized.
But, that is not a critique....just a subjective observation as I know nothing about composing an appealing soundtrack. (you do, though :))

IMO....the structure of an instrumental composition has to be well thought out to keep the listeners attention.
Any perception of compositional rambling listeners could lose interest.

Of course, you can totally ignore my thoughts. smile
As a composition, I like it.

Hope that helps....keep up the good work.

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Beach of love - 05/08/21 08:05 PM
I think this is a really great start to the instrumental! Keep up the great work.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Beach of love - 05/08/21 09:13 PM
Yes this is a great start to a very good instrumental. I liked what I heard but I thought it was a little repetitious. Stopping around the 2:40 mark would be ideal IMHO. However as always your instrumentation and orchestration is spot on. YMMV
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 10:20 AM
Hi chulaivet1966,

Thank you for your analysis and your advice. It is true that it is too repetitive with little variation. I'm going to completely review this soundtrack and review the style to give away from ballads. Thank you again.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 10:24 AM
Hi Ember,

It is always an honor to see you comment on a composition and especially one of mine. It's nice to see the staff follow its members so ready and encourage them. A big thank you to the whole team and especially to you.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 10:28 AM
Hi MarioD,

I appreciate your analysis and thank you for the comment on soundcloud. I retain the fact of shortening this instrumental soundtrack to 2 min 40. I will review everything at the orchestration level to vary according to my possibilities and my inspiration. Thank you again for your advice.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 11:39 AM
very relaxing. Is the choir sound from BIAB? Did not know it could do that.Definitely nice as ambiance and relaxation. Good job
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 01:45 PM
Derochette,

A good composition. It works well as a "soundscape".

I did not find it to be "too long" at all. Enjoyable listen the entire time.

A good mix.

What are you using for the acoustic guitar?

fj
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 04:29 PM
Well chosen instrumentation, and this would make an ideal backing track, perhaps for a video or holiday slideshow etc.

Quite relaxing, although a little more variation would enhance the delivery.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Beach of love - 05/09/21 11:15 PM
Love your songs. Love the way you mix them. Soundscape is deep and wide. Clarity and air in the music is so very cool...
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 10:10 AM
I'm afraid I have no help in setting you on the right course for this one, Derochette. It sure seems to show a vision of water rising from the bow, and at times the listener is ushered to the stern to enjoy the splash of the wake. Perhaps these visions are influenced by your cover photo and title, but then perhaps the music you created inspired your choices. It's a captivating ride. It was neither too long nor lacking in its variety of mood.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 12:23 PM
I liked the complex arrangement upon a sparse melody. Worked great for me, did not feel unfinished. It will be interesting to hear your final product. Good work!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 01:26 PM
I know nothing about composition so I will comment on what I know about - I like the tune. If is very pleasing and relaxing. The title says it all. Well done. Another song that would be perfect for a movie.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 02:57 PM
Tasty bit of romance.

moto
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 04:10 PM
We also feel that it is very cinematic and would work for a variety of film themes.

As floyd mentioned we too are interested in the source of the acoustic guitar.

Lovely and well done!

J&B
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 05:12 PM
Hi ChadHC,

Thank you for passing over my soundscape. The choirs are from eastwest choir because they are easier to work with in the pianoroll with midi files.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 05:45 PM
Hi Floyd Jane,

It is a pleasure to read you and to answer your question. Before, let me explain my working method to you. Either I start from a biab realtrack and I extract the midi file, or I play myself as a wav file and with melodyn essential, I transform the wav file into a midi file.

After I apply a guitar vst. Here is the fabfour blackbird from Eastwest. All Eastwest products are relatively expensive except if and this is my case I took a subscription that gives me access to all their big sound libraries for $ 20 per month. And that gives me access to all types of guitars depending on the soundtracks I compose. I also bought two other vsts that I really appreciate. Realguitar of musiclab and IIya Efimov Guitar.

Thanks for stopping by to listen and comment.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 05:50 PM
Hi VideoTrack,

Thank you for coming and commenting and giving me your appreciation.
The melody is too long and I will limit it to 2min 30 to 3 minutes at the most. I'm thinking about variations in the last part to break up the monotony.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 05:54 PM
Hi Scott C,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for the encouragement on soundcloud.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 06:03 PM

Hi BabuMusic,

It's nice to have taken your time to comment because it allows me to see if I'm on the right track. I think this soundscape is a bit too long and shortening it to 30-45 seconds would be nice. Thanks to you.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 06:07 PM
Hi TuneMonger,

I think like you that this soundscape is not yet completed and must still be reworked especially in the last part. Thank you for commenting.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: PeterF Re: Beach of love - 05/10/21 08:13 PM
Found it to be a nice relaxing piece, quite evocative.

Agree with many of the earlier comments.

Nicely done (so far).

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 08:01 AM
I liked it, and it did have a ballad flavour to me. It's a bit long as it currently stands, but would work well at this length if you had a melody on top, as I was listening I was hearing melodic lines I would play on guitar.

Speaking of which, your profile picture shows you playing guitar. Have you ever thought about doing a song with you doing the guitar parts?
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 09:28 AM
Derochette,
Interesting and rich instrumental composition. Unusual selection of instruments. I thought the strings are dulcimer, but you mentioned mandolin... I assume that what it was. Overall, I like it, but since you are opened to comments, I will mention couple of small items. To my taste, sitar like synth that plays rhythm stabs is a little loud. And vocals, they fit well, but I would prefer them in more legato side of things.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 05:13 PM
Hi jptjptjpt,

It makes me happy that you like this soundscape. thank you for your support.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 05:15 PM
Hi CaptainMoto,

Thank you for your kind appreciation.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 05:26 PM
Hi Janice & Bud,

A big thank you for your comment on the Biab forum and on soundcloud. It always gives me pleasure to read you. To answer your question, this is a fourfab vst guitar sound from the firm eastwest. This sound is the blackbird guitar which was used by the Beatles in their day and whose sounds Eastwest recreated. I found that this sound suited this composition well and adapted well to the midi lines in the pianoroll. In my response to Floyd Jane, I also explain my working method, if you are interested. Anyway, thank you again.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 05:29 PM
Hi PeterF,

Thanks for commenting. I will take all your comments into account to rework this soundscape.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 05:41 PM
Hi BlueAttitude,

I am happy with your comment which brings me a lot. I'm glad you told me that you see melodic lines on it that we could add to the guitar because I don't see them. If you had the time and the inclination, it would be interesting that you download from soundcloud my mp3 file, to add your guitar playing in order to vary this melody because I know that you are a very good guitarist unlike me who am an average guitarist at the level of solos.
To answer your question, I have already thought about doing a singing test on one of my future compositions but I'm afraid that it will not happen to your level I hesitate but why not give it a try. We are on this site as a family and we can share everything, I think. Thank you again for your listening and your advice.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 05:46 PM
Hi Rustyspoon,

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my soundscape. I retain the volume to be readjusted slightly to the drop of the mandolin and the strings. And apply a legato on the choirs. Thank you again for your advice.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: bluage Re: Beach of love - 05/11/21 07:41 PM
Hello, Derochette...

The title of this instrumental composition, 'Beach of Love', certainly evokes the kind of fresh-air, surf and sun experience that a romantic rendevous on a beach would conjure up. Everything in your track works flawlessly to achieve this ambience: the relaxing tempo, the sensitive dialogue between the guitar and the mandolin, and the slow, tidal movement of the strings section accompanied by the wordless, spiritually soothing choir voices.

Music such as this seems to slow down the passage of time and allows the listener to slip into a kind of aural oasis, if you will. I enjoyed the vacation you provided for my tired ears and my searching heart.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Beach of love - 05/12/21 12:29 AM
Hi, Derochette.

To me, this has a very cinematic feel - a feeling strengthened when you brought in a bit of choir. I'm a big fan of changing things up, which you did a number of times in the song.

There were one or two places around the 3:10 and 3:13 where the bass seemed to drag on the off-beat. For some reason, the song seemed to cut early on the fade. Maybe it's SoundCloud.

I usually complain when songs seems too long, but that didn't seem to be the case here.

I enjoyed listening! smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Beach of love - 05/13/21 01:20 PM
Derochette,
As with all your work, this is easy to slip into and float on, and very enjoyable without revision.
You have some interesting suggestions to go on if you decide to create more variation in another version.For me the acoustic guitar is a highlight, so I hope you`ll retain that.
Its a pleasure to follow your soundscape creations.

Robert
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Beach of love - 05/13/21 01:27 PM

This is very pretty! I like it a lot!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/13/21 04:58 PM
Hi bluage;

It is really a beautiful compliment that you write and I thank you because you transcribed perfectly in words what I wanted to do through the music. A big thank-you .

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/13/21 05:02 PM
Hi dcuny,

Thanks for commenting. I retain your comment on the bass and I will correct. Glad the soundscape doesn't seem too long to you despite the lack of variations.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/13/21 05:08 PM
Hi Robert,

Thank you for commenting. I am always looking for variations that I could make but without success. A guitar solo would do well but I don't feel able to play anything correct on this soundtrack. Or a variation in violins which is more affordable for me. But I think about it without being sure to find a solution. thanks again.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Derochette Re: Beach of love - 05/13/21 05:10 PM
Hi David,

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks to you.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
© PG Music Forums