PG Music Home
Posted By: musician17 Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/09/21 03:22 PM
So I wrote the chords for this and chose the style ... and then I thought: hang on a minute. I know it's just a musical bed/background, but why not let the listener himself/herself imagine the melody? It's an experiment ... if it doesn't work "as is", I may write a melody or at least a spoken word track for this ... but I thought: I like it as it is - and I'd love the listener to imagine his or her own journey here. Hence the title: "Fly With Me".

Honest comments, as always, always welcome - thank you so much for listening to this little experiment of mine :-)

https://amazingradio.us/profile/jamesdelsono/tunes/e1de9aba-b0f1-11eb-aa62-d6a961ec9db9

THE BAND:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Song - 9 May 2021
File:Song - 9 May 2021.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=4:08
No intro. 84 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 84. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Soloist track has 146 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Key Signature,
Style is _SATED.STY (Sated Gentle Alt Country Push)

RealTracks in style: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3330:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm LoungeFunkChorus Ev16 080
RealTracks in style: 3656:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm IndieGentlePush Ev16 080
RealTracks in style: 2666:Pedal Steel, Rhythm LushChordsSlow Ev 075
RealDrums [in style:AmericanaSlowRockFred^2-a:Sidestick ,HiHat , b:HiHat ,Snare

Posted By: Scott C Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/09/21 11:13 PM
Lovely backtrack. Very easy to imagine a lovely melody playing across this backtrack. Well done
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/10/21 12:19 AM
Hi James,

This is a really nice backing track. Such a great introduction and I love how you stayed on the tonic chord for so long before setting out on your harmonic adventure.

As is often the case, you take the listener on a journey that uses inventive chord progressions. I often find myself sitting here thinking, "Ooooo, I like that!" and I dash over to the piano to try and discover what the progression was.

Thank you once again for a fun ride.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/10/21 09:13 AM
"I could ride on wings of man-made things or answer the call in my soul." Yeah that was the opening line, James. Very good write. So much potential.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/10/21 12:34 PM
I enjoyed your invitation to experiment, working out melodies to your piece. Lots of potential here. Good work.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/10/21 01:12 PM
James,
The held chords of that pedal steel do suggest and leave space for imagined melody; I have a feeling you`ll be creating some of those gentle spoken words for this enjoyable track.

Robert
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/11/21 10:17 AM
Tracks sound good, James.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/11/21 05:19 PM
Well done!

Nice band ... we've liked that lush steel RT for years. Good choice!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/12/21 01:01 AM
Mellow track. Some of the changes were a bit more out of blue than others, but they're your signature chord changes.

Felt like it was ready to stop around 2:00, the sax brought it back to life.

Around 3:00 I was looking for another change, and that quickly followed.

So the form was pretty easy to follow.

I'll borrow a punchline from a comment David Snyder made on an unrelated post, only because it fits with your title:

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey I saw the dope comment from the promoter who wants you to submit this to the Hip Hop street battle mash-up.

You should man.

That would be fly!

OK, it was funnier when David said it. wink

Well done! laugh
Posted By: musician17 Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/12/21 04:20 AM
Oh my word. Thanks EACH ONE of you for listening and for such nice comments!

Noel, I can send you the chord progression in a private message if you want (if the message software allows for that) ... as David Cuny says, it's just some of my "signature" chord changes which can seem and indeed be a little abrupt at times, but ... if you want it, I'll be only too happy to send it. Thanks for such kind comments!

David Cuny: I don't know how you manage, both time-wise and otherwise, to give such detailed feedback on every song that you comment on ... but THANK YOU. The David Snyder quote made me smile!

EACH ONE OF YOU: THANK YOU.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/12/21 09:02 AM
Hi James,

Thank you! That would be great. I don't have Shigeki Adachi's (animarorecords) perfect pitch so I don't instantly know what a chord is.

I've sent you a private message.

Much appreciated smile
Noel
Posted By: Derochette Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/12/21 04:39 PM
Hi musician17,

Nice progression of well thought out chords. It's an instrumental that lets us create our own melody and it's good to let our imagination create our own melody. Original intention.

Kindly regard
Derochette
aliasJaniJackFlash
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/12/21 09:52 PM
Sweet tune!

Mike B.
Posted By: rayc Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/13/21 01:35 AM
Take away the steel and this could be one of Velvet Underground's pastoral pieces.
Very tasty.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/13/21 11:13 AM
Nice one, James. Second time through I picked up things not heard first time listening.
The graphic is geese migrating. Coincidentally, Confucious said, "Music is like a flock of geese on a tranquil, motionless pond. One flutters. Soon the entire flock takes flight, ascends, circles the pond. Then, one by one, they return to the pond and it is tranquil once more." Something to that effect.
-----------------------------------------------------------
https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/998/2018/11/JensenKirkendall-TheWellOrderedHeart.pdf
Posted By: musician17 Re: Fly With Me (instrumental) - 05/16/21 07:56 AM
Oh my word. THANKS, everyone. RayC: what a compliment that is!

It's always so flattering to receive such nice comments from such great musicians as you are. You'll forgive me for feeling like I'm walking on clouds for a few moments, right? :-)

Thank you!
© PG Music Forums