PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw In the Name of Jesus - 05/12/21 07:00 PM

In the Name of Jesus by Ed

Bent Piano backing
Piano Solo by Band in a Box
Posted By: dcuny Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/15/21 04:12 AM
I was going to listen to this earlier... it's has been sitting in a tab on my browser for the last couple days to remind me to listen to it. blush

Nice! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/15/21 08:12 AM
Nicely done, Ed, you are a master at reworking these old hymns I think.
Posted By: Derochette Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/15/21 04:11 PM
Hi edshaw,

It is a composition to listen to in the evening. It's sweet, your voice is superb and the whole is perfect. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: musician17 Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/16/21 07:26 AM
Beautiful!!! This is an original of yours, right? Wow!!! Never out of place anywhere along the great hymns, and that's saying something. Love it. Bravo.
Posted By: edshaw Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/16/21 09:16 PM
Thanks David, Dave, Derochette, and James. Yes, this one took a little different track; that is, trying to build the song around the title, which is a popular phrase in the rural church. You hear it often, especially as the closing phrase of a prayer. In addition, the theme of the Savior as the mediator is popular today.
This hymn marks a production milestone for me. Starting with blank staffs with chords and a Band-in-a-Box backing track, I picked away at the melody until it was adequate, then added the lyrics. Finally, guitar and vocal.
We don't often discuss our work flows here, for various understandable reasons. My tendency is to kind of shotgun it, saving inspirations as they occur. Not exactly professional; also lends itself to corner cutting. With this one, I tried to be deliberate.
Thanks, again.
Ed
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/17/21 12:29 AM
You really harken back to the golden days of gospel music. Great recording.
Posted By: Scott C Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/18/21 12:06 PM
Lovely hymn Ed. Very nice listen to start the day
Posted By: edshaw Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/18/21 06:45 PM
Thanks, jpt and Scott. Music as a form of expression can be quite gratifying, as you are both well aware.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/19/21 07:45 PM
Nice melody. I think I've said it before, but this type of song places me in white clapboard church on a country road.
Posted By: edshaw Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/19/21 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Nice melody. I think I've said it before, but this type of song places me in white clapboard church on a country road.

I'm hearing that. Must be sinking in, ES, because the theme of the hymn I'm working on now has to do with recollections of being in that good ol' country church. Thx for the note.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/22/21 06:47 PM
Nicely done Ed. Spread it around...it could be a classic!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: In the Name of Jesus - 05/22/21 10:46 PM
Thanks, J&B. Once I reach 12 originals, doors will open to a small number of hymn writers forums. I'm on #9 now. Oh well, COVID good for something.
Sure, that phrase deserves to be a title. You've been in a service where one of the spirit-filled congregationals suddenly says it out loud?
© PG Music Forums