PG Music Home
Posted By: chulaivet1966 New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 08:15 AM
Howdy all....

Somehow I managed to finish my 3rd song in less than two months.
Don't know where this creative spurt came from but I probably shouldn't over think it

Many thanks to any that give it a spin and hope you found it worthy of your time.

Style:_ROKAMER.STY Pop American Guitar (120 RS)
Features two "American Pop" Electric Guitar RealTracks styles from RT40, along with El.Bass and Ac.Strum.Guit RealTracks. NashvilleEv8 RealDrums. (El.Bass, El.Guitar, El.Guitar, Ac.Guitar, Drums=NashvilleEven8^6-HiHat,HHatO)

BIAB: drums, bass and both intro rhythm guitar tracks.
Ken Lasaine did all other guitar tracks. He comes in with the acoustic guitar which is at 12:00.
Where the lead break begins I added the cymbal crash/toms swell using my Roland MBD-1 drums/bass module.

https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966 OR
https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733

(Uhhh...no, this is not an auto-biographical account smile )

Wild Ways:
Verse 1 There was a time I was young, dumb and crazy. I’d like to come clean but it’s all kind of hazy.
Chorus Wild ways is a life-long rumble. Wild ways gets you in big trouble. And hard time….is going to make you humble.
Verse 2 So full of myself, I was lightning and thunder. But every city precinct had my number.
Chorus Wild ways is a life-long rumble. Wild ways gets you in big trouble. And hard time….is going to make you humble.

Lead Break
Bridge: C#m7 A E E - C#m7 A Bsus B

Verse 3
I could tell you stories that would make you shudder.
But I'm changing my tune and changing my colors.
I came around, made life time corrections.
I'll be around if you have any questions.
Chorus
Bridge: C#m7 A E E - C#m7 A Bsus B
Vamp to end on verse music 125-134

© Wayne Evans: lyrics & music. 5/1/21

Have a great day....

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 10:34 AM
Cool tune.. I like this and yeah.... that could be my story in those words somewhere.

Kinda curious... Verses 1 & 2 are half the length of verse 3. Any particular reason for that?

I know that once you have a song in finished form as this is, it's kinda hard, or daunting, to go back and make major structural changes.... but...
I'd think about combining V1 & V2 into one verse and place a chorus after it in the structure of the song. That would give a certain harmony and symmetry to the structure of the song. You'd essentially be removing the first chorus.... and actually, in a DAW, that would be a fairly simple, straightforward, and seamless chop. It could be done with the finished wave in a DAW. Remove the chorus and drag the parts together and you'd likely be done and no one would be able to tell.

Anyway, just a thought.

I like the song.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 11:21 AM
Well howdy GH....

Ha...yeah, a bit of me in there to but those old 'wild ways' were not in this country and not related to law breaking. smile

I get your take on it.
But, I didn't feel it needed another verse so I decided to make the 3rd verse longer to focus on the life changes he resolved to accomplish.
It is a bit different in structure but I don't see it as that odd or awkward in the 'structure' sense....just a slight bit unconventional.
This song writing stuff isn't easy, I might add. smile

I thank you for stopping by and all your comments....it's much appreciated.

Have a great day....
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 12:10 PM
Wayne,

Love this! Great progression, mix - everything.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 06:50 PM
Howdy Bob....

What a coincidence.....I just came from your music page.
You and Penny have nailed down your style.
I found Amarillo to be very appealing and well performed.

Thanks very much for taking the time to give it a spin and the very generous comments....it makes song writing worth the time when one's peers provide a bit approval now and then. smile

Thanks again....have a great day.
Posted By: PeterF Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 07:26 PM
Good driving song, nice vocal and a strong chorus.

Some nice guitar playing throughout tops it off.

Good song.

Peter
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/17/21 09:09 PM
Very cool, Wayne!

Love the mix. Has a great groove and feel to it. I also wondered, like Herb, about the first 2 verses being so short. But I like your explanation, emphasizing on the life changes...

Love the guitars, and your vocals are really nice. Good job on the overall "sound".

Steve
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/18/21 08:50 AM
Forceful sound like a proud wild child. well said, Wayne. Interesting explanation of of the length of the 3rd verse. Well executed. Yes, the story continues.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/18/21 10:32 AM
Top of the mornin' everyone....

Howdy PeterF....
Yeah....that style was the one as soon as I stumbled on it.
We all know that process. smile
Ken's guitar work does 'top it off' pretty well to me too.

Howdy Steve Young....
I've used that structure on a few of my songs.
I'm glad my explanation made a modicum of sense. smile
I don't think the structure sounds awkward, just slightly 'unconventional' but still maintaining a sense of lyrical cadence.

Howdy Bapu....
Ha....'proud wild child'.
I was actually law abiding dude but that didn't stop me from writing on this subject. smile
That's probably just one more, of several reasons, why I'll never be famous or write mass appeal hits. smile
I accept that, I write songs as creative therapy and personal enjoyment....that's it.

Many thanks gents for giving a listen and favorable comments.
Much appreciated....have a great day.
Posted By: edshaw Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/18/21 07:05 PM
Good track, Wayne. Enjoyed listening greatly.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/18/21 09:57 PM
Wayne,
I admire your drive! You have quite a talent of writing true bread & butter Rock tunes. I see no issues with composition, vocals, instruments or mix. Stellar guitars! Listens very well.
P.S. The only one thing I would do, if it was my mix... I would of ridded solo guitar were it kind of "talks" back to vocals, so they be at one volume plane. Just for fun of it.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/19/21 11:05 AM
Howdy Ed....

Thank you very much for giving a listen and the kind comments.
Glad you found it worthy of you time.

Howdy Misha....

Well....that's always been my writing propensity and genre of prefence.
Standard "four on the floor rock & roll"
That's Ken's description of my songs smile
I like to write up beat, danceable songs with non-cliche subject matter.

I realize my songs have a very tiny demographic of listener appeal.
Our (Ed's and yours) writing styles are completely different so I really appreciate all of you who listen and comment.

Sincere thanks to you both.

Have a great day....
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/19/21 08:58 PM
This has some good bones!

Nice production quality.

You done good.

moto
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/20/21 10:45 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
This has some good bones! Nice production quality.
You done good. moto

Mornin' Cap....

Many thanks for taking the time to check it out.
I appreciate the kind comments.

Have a great day....
Posted By: dcuny Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/21/21 03:21 AM
Catchy, love the sound.

There was a time I was young, dumb and crazy. I’d like to come clean but it’s all kind of hazy.

Cool lyric.

Guitars sound excellent! Vocal sounds good as well. I'm hearing a bit of The Who in this.

Nice pop song - just the kind of thing I like to hear while driving around! laugh
Posted By: rayc Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/21/21 06:35 AM
Driving and catchy.
All I can offer is that you should run an EQ across your voice and find a one where a small peak with help it cut through the mix a little more.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/21/21 11:47 AM
Howdy David....

"The Who"....cool!
As soon as I heard the style I knew that was it for this one.
I'm quite pleased you found it a worthy listen.
I enjoyed writing this one.

G'day rayc....
Yeah...it was a bit of a challenge deciding on vox EQ.
Generally speaking, I always have to give my vox a -2db or so at 500hz....and a slight bump at 2k.
I'll revisit that aspect.

Many thanks gents for taking the time to listen and the favorable comments.
Much appreciated.....have a great day.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 05/31/21 06:05 PM
"I was actually law abiding dude but that didn't stop me from writing on this subject."

Same here but love the song!

Not gonna parse it out other than to simply say that for us it worked all the way around.

Makes me wanna go burn some rubber smile

Nice one.

J&B
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/01/21 01:24 AM
I got kind of a "Bob Segar lite" feel with this. Enjoyed it a lot.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/01/21 09:35 PM
Well howdy....

J&B....
Ha....we're all just law abiding dudes & dudettes....doin' our thing. smile
It was a enjoyable write for me.
I tend to write on many different subjects.
Thanks much for giving it a listen and the kind words.

Tunemonger....
I thank you sir.
I'm happy with your BS reference and very pleased you found it worthy of your time.
Having one's peers accept and comment favorably on our song writing efforts makes all the work worth while.

Thanks again to you both....and have great evening.
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/02/21 06:34 AM
HI Wayne ...

That non-stop driving beat is like a magnet ... can't stop listening. But, gonna have to. It's 4:30 AM and I've not yet been to bed - too much good music to listen to.

You've mentioned in the past that you don't have a lot of confidence in your vocals. I think you sound great on this. Everything is exactly where and how it should be - every track and the vocal. Sound great to my ears! Nice work!!!

ALan
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/03/21 10:06 AM
Well howdy Alan....

Thank you very much for giving it a listen and the very kind comments.
If I'm perceived as writing anything remotely "magnetic" by a peer I can go to my grave a happy old fossil. smile

Yeah....vox confidence has always been a hurdle for me.
But, one has to make do with the tools at hand.

I hear you...I wake up very early too.
This getting old (74) isn't for the faint of heart. smile

Have a great day and thanks again.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/08/21 03:11 AM
Wayne,

This is GREAT!!!! First rate and then some.

I love the driving rhythm and it's matched so well by your band and your vocals!

As always, your writing and arranging are mega-strong.

I really enjoyed just sitting back with my eyes closed and tapping my feet while I listened.

It's an easy two-thumbs-up from me smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/09/21 11:18 AM
Noel96....G'day Mate!

Wow....thank you very much for the listen and the very generous comments.

Well...I am a rock/roll kind of guy so one could say a 'driving rhythm' is part of my default style.
As Ken (lead guitarist) put it....it's "4onthefloor rock/roll"

I just realized another one of mine being "It's About Time" written in late 80's s similar in subject matter.
About a non-law-abiding thug who's party is over.

I really am a 'law abiding citizen'. smile

So sorry I didn't respond sooner.
I figured it would be on page 5 by now. smile

Thanks again for the very kind review.
Hope all is well with you.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/09/21 11:51 AM
Hello Wayne,

What a cool 'driving' song you made. I enjoyed it!
I had to laugh about the length of your lyrics. One sentence for a verse or chorus, except for the last verse.
I might try it once...

Nice work!
Hans
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: New song_Wild Ways....thank you. - 06/09/21 12:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Wayne, What a cool 'driving' song you made. I enjoyed it!
I had to laugh about the length of your lyrics. One sentence for a verse or chorus, except for the last verse. I might try it once...Nice work!Hans

Howdy Hans....

Ha...well, that lyrical arrangement was intentional.

Sometimes lyrics can be too verbose.
Being a r/roll kind of guy, if the verses are shorter and concise enough that will allow more time to develop the music, provide the lead guitarist (or whatever lead instrument) to get creative and more comfortably allow another repeat of the hook/chorus section.

The way I write is probably why I'll remain a song writing bottom feeder. smile
"Try it" once....you might like it. smile

Thank you very much for checking it out and the kind comments.
© PG Music Forums