PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 09:30 AM
On The Ferris Wheel on Soundcloud
On The Ferris Wheel on YouTube

And now for something completely different. Well, it's more Firesign Theatre than Monty Python. It's ostensibly about a young partier who overdoes it and gets sick on a Ferris wheel. It's about the ups and downs of growing up, and why we long for Neverland. I took it as an opportunity to use accordion, mandolin and marimba in the same song.

Although I've been using BiaB in other ways since last century, this was one of the first songs I did in 2019 when I decided to do some DAW recording. I thought it sounded alright back then. HA! But then I found this forum. Well, after all the advice that I found here, I decided to try to take the same stems and reprocess them. Any comments to help further improve it are much appreciated.

Style is _SOFTROK.STY (Dreamy Soft Rock)

RealTracks in song: 1262:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~1025:Guitar, Electric, Strumming CleanOpen Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1287:Accordion, Rhythm TexMex2Beat Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3190:Mandolin, Soloist, CelticHornpipeAndy Sw16 070
RealTracks in song: 3523:Marimba, Rhythm IslandGroove Ev16 100
RealDrums [in style:RockSoftEven8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare Ride

I played bass, sang and did the voices.

On The Ferris Wheel

Who's that said to me hours ago, "Let's go out for a ride"?
We got far out, and then... I don't know. Something happened inside.
All I know is we take this turn, and find our way to the pier.
And all the joints we passed by were burnt. But how I ended up here
drinking this beer...? I don't know.

On the ferris wheel we go 'round and 'round,
singing songs that go up and up, then down.
On the pier of steel we get lost 'n' found---
both feet off of the ground.

Is there somebody I can tell? Is there somebody here?
A doc in the house? A fool in the cell? Someone, lend me your ear.
Where is here? Where are we right now?
I lost my face in the crowd. Someone's spinnin' me. Holy cow!
Why's that bell spinning loud? What can this mean? (Is it a Leslie ringing)

On the ferris wheel we go 'round and 'round,
slightly back as it lifts us off the ground.
All the beer we spill never makes a sound
as it's gravity bound.

BR: There's only one problem I cannot deny:
wherever they got 'em, I can never ride the ferris wheel this high. Hello.

The ginger baker ran out of cream making domino pie.
The taffy bender began to scream, 'though we will never know why. (He's twisted)
If you say to me, "How do you do?", I don't do very well.
But if you do to me how you do do, then we've got something to tell
everyone else. (While they're singing:)

All way round we go, stomachs letting go.Just look out below. Oh-oh. NO!
We'll get off in time. Walk the crooked line. Everything is fine, is it?
'Round and 'round we go, but when it stops we know
we both have to go home. Oh, oh, no.
Now it's getting slow. Yes, it's swinging low...
We both have to go home... with both feet back on the ground.
(All riders, have your tickets ready.)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 11:04 AM
"More coffee, warden?"

Holy mudhead, Mackerel! More Science High...is gone!"

Good afternoon, Mr. Danger! I'm Rocky Rococo..."

Firesign Theater fans are an odd bunch, eh?

A real fun-house of a write! Enjoyed the ride (and the imagery).

Good vocals, good instrument selection (and added bass), good mix. Really nice balance.

Much enjoyed!!

fj
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 11:20 AM
Brilliant! And *way* too much fun laugh

Mix sounds good, and great job on the video too.

Good stuff, Marty.

P.S. I wonder how many people will get the "The ginger baker ran out of cream making domino pie" line? wink
Posted By: Robertkc Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 01:39 PM
Marty,
Very good fun- jolly and theatrical ( I`m not familiar with Firesign, but without a dead parrot in the video its not Python!).
Your vocal carries the song really well- as on your other songs you know how to energise your voice.
Your arrangement sounds good- very much in the spirit of the song, especially the accordion-funny voices are well done too.
Oh, and Yeah!- got the Cream reference.

Robert
Posted By: rsdean Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 01:44 PM
Marty,

I love this! The instrumentation is really excellent as is your vocal.

Great song - something fresh and unique. Very much enjoyed.

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 03:25 PM

Marty,

This sounds fantastic!!!! Love the Yellow Submarine style vox coming in in the background. Very Beatles!

I LOVED this.

smile
Posted By: Derochette Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 03:50 PM
Hi BabuMusic,

Beautiful fairground atmosphere. The accordion has its place. And the very funny lyrics. It's a great achievement. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Leon1 Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 09:23 PM
Great fun, Marty. Love the wordplay, love the instrumentation (has a hint of a Jimmy Buffet vibe, I reckon) and love the vocals. A real winner.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/20/21 11:39 PM
Fine job on song and video. Very well written. Excellent performance. Great carnival sound you captured.

I suppose you don't want to let us in on the secret of where you get that great video footage?
Posted By: dcuny Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/21/21 03:01 AM
Upbeat and catchy, your vocals are great. The instrumentation (and voices) are a treat to listen to.

Love the slowdown at the end.

That was... quite a ride! smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/21/21 02:25 PM
Marty,
Fun stuff! Massive theatrical goodness take on serious subject. Absolutely awesome write! Lyrics, vocals, bass, arrangement, everything is very cool. Wild chord progression in places. The slowing down ending was icing on the omelet. I can only imagine how much time went into this... On the other hand, when you do something fun, time flies. Really liked this one. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/21/21 08:28 PM
Awesome tune Marty. Loved the groove on this tune. Another super vocal and very creative lyric.

Love your bassline. They make the song sound so solid. Super mix as well. That mandolin break was very cool. Well done

First class video....
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/21/21 10:01 PM
This song certainly lived up to your promise: "something completely different."
The video version helped to explain a few things but some lyrics remain enigmatic (e.g. 'domino pie' and 'taffy bender') but, as someone once said, "Everything makes sense after six Coronas!" I obviously don't drink enough wink

Highly entertaining and very well put together. smile
Posted By: rayc Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/23/21 06:26 AM
Marty, this is your best vocal performance/capture to date - for me.
Fun, a well held together narrative and nice band.
On a purely musical level this could also sound great treated like one of the ballads on The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle...something like Sandy.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/23/21 10:14 AM
Entertaining and a bit 'way out there' in a funny kind of way.

Loved the little voices, quite a laugh.

yes, fun all, the way.
Posted By: bluage Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/23/21 05:03 PM
'BabuMusic'...

There is a musical exuberance, a free-wheeling lyrical feel, and an imaginative, almost pictorially intense storytelling process going on in the song that makes it a stand-out listening experience, almost like a novelty. The Real Track instruments add a suggestive regional flavor, and your bass playing just keeps moving on down the line. And another thing -- you have an awfully youthful voice for a grey-bearded person smile !!!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/24/21 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
"More coffee, warden?"

Holy mudhead, Mackerel! More Science High...is gone!"

Good afternoon, Mr. Danger! I'm Rocky Rococo..."

Firesign Theater fans are an odd bunch, eh?

A real fun-house of a write! Enjoyed the ride (and the imagery).

Good vocals, good instrument selection (and added bass), good mix. Really nice balance.

Much enjoyed!!

fj

Ah, you floored me with this comment, Floyd. Did you ever hear The Giant Rat Of Sumatra? It's a full-length album, a parody of the old Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holms series. The J-Men Forever video is another favorite.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/24/21 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Brilliant! And *way* too much fun laugh

Mix sounds good, and great job on the video too.

Good stuff, Marty.

P.S. I wonder how many people will get the "The ginger baker ran out of cream making domino pie" line? wink

Thanks, Dave. Shied away from the cowbell on this one. I'm not sure I get that line. I mean, I know Ginger Baker was in Cream and not Derek & The Dominoes, and that he made some really cool jazz albums. but... Usually words just show up on the page, so I can't take credit and won't accept blame. "He's TWISTED" was a nod to Joni Mitchell. Now that's something no one would get without explanation.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
... without a dead parrot in the video its not Python!).

Oh, and Yeah!- got the Cream reference.

Robert

Hi, Robert. Thanks for the listen and the comment --and also for playing the "What the heck was that reference" game.

Originally Posted By: rsdean

Great song - something fresh and unique. Very much enjoyed.

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob. It's different aright.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Marty,

This sounds fantastic!!!! Love the Yellow Submarine style vox coming in in the background. Very Beatles!

smile

Thanks, David. As I'm typing this Soundcloud is on in the background and Standing Like Bono is playing for the 3rd time this morning --the first 2 were intentional and they were all enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi BabuMusic,

Beautiful fairground atmosphere. The accordion has its place. And the very funny lyrics. It's a great achievement. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi, Derochette. Thanks for coming along for the ride. I filled in in a zydeco band a few times. At practice the accordion player could only play the song from the beginning; we couldn't say let's take it from the bridge. That was weird.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Great fun, Marty. Love the wordplay, love the instrumentation (has a hint of a Jimmy Buffet vibe, I reckon) and love the vocals. A real winner.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. Haha. Yes, I think Jimmy Buffet was flying overhead.
Posted By: edshaw Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/25/21 04:04 PM
Marty: I have to say, I've not seen anything quite like that on You Tube or anywhere else, for that matter. The sound track is great. The video is bold, original, and very well put together.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/25/21 06:01 PM
Jimmy and Marty and Ginger...how cool is that?

Clever and cool write and just the right vocal to carry it all.

All kinds of vibes, as alluded to above, and the accordion even tosses in a little Tex-Mex.

The vid was fun and Janice said she enjoyed the ferris wheel kaleidoscopes smile

And as always that guy you recruit for the bass parts on your productions knows his stuff.

Fun!

J&B
Posted By: Sundance Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/25/21 10:50 PM
".....A real fun-house of a write! Enjoyed the ride (and the imagery).....

fj

Agree with above. And over my speakers you have an especially good vocal mix - smooth and clear as a bell. Whatever your vox chain is - it certainly compliments your voice. Much enjoyed.

Josie
Posted By: PeterF Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/26/21 01:53 AM
Marty

Great stuff, very entertaining, clever lyric, fun vocals and nicely arranged (bass well played as expected).

Enjoyed it a lot.

Peter
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/30/21 09:37 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Fine job on song and video. Very well written. Excellent performance. Great carnival sound you captured.
I suppose you don't want to let us in on the secret of where you get that great video footage?

Thanks for listening and comment, jptjptjpt. Usually I use free stuff from pexel.com and occasionally from pixaby,cim. The still are always mine.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Upbeat and catchy, your vocals are great. The instrumentation (and voices) are a treat to listen to.
Love the slowdown at the end.
That was... quite a ride! smile

Hey, thanks, David. Surely an unusual group of musicians. Yeah, it's cool how BiaB lets you change tempo like that. It fit or the slowing Ferris Wheel.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Fun stuff! Massive theatrical goodness take on serious subject. Absolutely awesome write! Lyrics, vocals, bass, arrangement, everything is very cool. Wild chord progression in places. The slowing down ending was icing on the omelet. I can only imagine how much time went into this... On the other hand, when you do something fun, time flies. Really liked this one. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Thanks for coming along for the ride, Misha. Yes, it's a timeless love.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
[quote=Scott C]Awesome tune Marty. Loved the groove on this tune. Another super vocal and very creative lyric.
Love your bassline. They make the song sound so solid. Super mix as well. That mandolin break was very cool. Well done
First class video....

Thanks, Scott. The drum defines the feel, then the bass lays a solid bed for guys like you to add your parts to make the whole thing memorable.
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
The video version helped to explain a few things but some lyrics remain enigmatic (e.g. 'domino pie' and 'taffy bender') but, as someone once said, "Everything makes sense after six Coronas!" I obviously don't drink enough wink

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum

Thanks for that wonderful comment. Some have figured that "domino" was a reference to Derek & The Dominoes, and maybe Duane Allman was the taffy bender. I dunno.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/30/21 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Marty, this is your best vocal performance/capture to date - for me.
Fun, a well held together narrative and nice band.
On a purely musical level this could also sound great treated like one of the ballads on The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle...something like Sandy.

Thanks, RAYC! You, sir, are the biggest difference in the way the vocal sounds. Thanks so much for all your help. I seek out your comments to others, too. You are certainly one of the treasures of htis tribe.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Entertaining and a bit 'way out there' in a funny kind of way.
Loved the little voices, quite a laugh.
yes, fun all, the way.

haha, Thanks VideoTrack guy. Hey, always wanted to tell you I like how you have a bass player in your avatar with you.
Originally Posted By: bluage
'BabuMusic'...
There is a musical exuberance, a free-wheeling lyrical feel, and an imaginative, almost pictorially intense storytelling process going on in the song that makes it a stand-out listening experience, almost like a novelty. The Real Track instruments add a suggestive regional flavor, and your bass playing just keeps moving on down the line. And another thing -- you have an awfully youthful voice for a grey-bearded person smile !!!

AH, BLUAGE. No lower-case for you, sir. Seriously, I've actually had a couple occasions where others have mentioned to me, "Hey, did you see the comment from bluage?" Your comments are always meaningful, pleasant, creative and encouraging. In a forum where many of us are throwing ourselves out there, then closing one eye to see what comes back, you are the best reason to open wide. Also, thanks for the "youthful" part. Truth is, I'm now at least a step and a half older than when I sang songs years ago, so what used to be C is now A. hehe
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Marty: I have to say, I've not seen anything quite like that on You Tube or anywhere else, for that matter. The sound track is great. The video is bold, original, and very well put together.

Thanks, Ed. I'm sure there's good reason for my lack of YouTube competition. hehe.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/30/21 10:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Jimmy and Marty and Ginger...how cool is that?
Clever and cool write and just the right vocal to carry it all.
All kinds of vibes, as alluded to above, and the accordion even tosses in a little Tex-Mex.
The vid was fun and Janice said she enjoyed the ferris wheel kaleidoscopes smile
And as always that guy you recruit for the bass parts on your productions knows his stuff.
Fun!
J&B

Hah, Thanks, Bud & Janice. You guys are the best --for real. Man, I once heard from a reputable source that Jaco and Jimi once jammed together in NYC. They didn't even know each other then. It was before Chris Chandler "discovered" Hendrix. I have a tape of Jimi and BB King. Terribly recorded, but would really love to hear something from Jimi & Jaco.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
".....A real fun-house of a write! Enjoyed the ride (and the imagery).....
fj

Agree with above. And over my speakers you have an especially good vocal mix - smooth and clear as a bell. Whatever your vox chain is - it certainly compliments your voice. Much enjoyed.
Josie

Hey, Josie. Thanks so much. Love your stuff on YouTube. What a polished voice. Such a treat.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty
Great stuff, very entertaining, clever lyric, fun vocals and nicely arranged (bass well played as expected).
Enjoyed it a lot.
Peter

Thanks, Peter. HEY, I really liked cutting my bass into that great stuff you played on the Janice & Bud song, Water Under The Bridge. Thanks for the opportunity.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/30/21 08:36 PM
Now that was something else.

Love the chorus. It's sticks to you like super glue.

Your vocal here is an absolute stellar performance.

Production is primo.

The slowing down at the end reminded me of a carousel slowing down.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/31/21 12:42 PM
Fun song. I enjoyed listening to it. Excellent audio production.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 05/31/21 12:57 PM
Hi Marty very enjoyable tune and love the vocal so different great job thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 06/01/21 02:17 AM
Fun novelty tune that was well produced. Fan of Firesign and Python here. I doubt most have heard of them, esp Firesign. Good work!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 06/01/21 09:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Now that was something else.

Love the chorus. It's sticks to you like super glue.

Your vocal here is an absolute stellar performance.

Production is primo.

The slowing down at the end reminded me of a carousel slowing down.

Thanks so much, Ezekiel.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Fun song. I enjoyed listening to it. Excellent audio production.

Thanks, Jim. It has its ups and downs, but all-around good fun. Thanks for taking a spin. [pretty punny, huh?]
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Marty very enjoyable tune and love the vocal so different great job thanks for sharing eric

Thanks for pushing past the warning, and enjoying it, Eric. Man, have i told you lately that I really like your guitar playing?
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 06/01/21 01:39 PM
A LOT has already been said that I would say about this song. Very well deserving!

The one thing I wanted to add was that I felt like I knew this song VERY soon into it. Not because I've heard it before; but because you were able to fit catchy multiple hooks that it created familiarity really fast. That is a fantastic gift to have. This is stuck in my head in all the right ways!

I will say also that I especially enjoyed the tempo change at the end. It was clever and brought me even more into feeling like this was a group of people playing.

Great job!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 06/01/21 04:11 PM
Hi Marty,

What a nice happy song in spite of the condition of that guy in your song!
And as with all your songs, your vocals sound exactly in line with the atmosphere of this song.
You did a lot of writing on the lyrics. Can you sing it out of your head?

I enjoyed it very much. Monty P. could have learn from it. I can see the scetch in front of my eyes.
So, very well done!

Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 06/02/21 08:14 PM
Can't speak to your early recording works but...........this one is good.
Creative, interesting, fun and well done!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On The Ferris Wheel - 06/04/21 09:09 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
A LOT has already been said that I would say about this song. Very well deserving!

The one thing I wanted to add was that I felt like I knew this song VERY soon into it. Not because I've heard it before; but because you were able to fit catchy multiple hooks that it created familiarity really fast. That is a fantastic gift to have. This is stuck in my head in all the right ways!

I will say also that I especially enjoyed the tempo change at the end. It was clever and brought me even more into feeling like this was a group of people playing.

Great job!

Oh, when you started with that "sounds like" paragraph, HearToLearn, I half closed my eyes as I read on. Phewf! We always dread the "too close for copyright" thing when we think we've heard our new song before. Maybe it's a deja vu thing in reverse. Thanks for listening and writing such am encouraging comment. Catchiness is an aloof quality for sure, C.Aaron Madison.
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty,

What a nice happy song in spite of the condition of that guy in your song!
And as with all your songs, your vocals sound exactly in line with the atmosphere of this song.
You did a lot of writing on the lyrics. Can you sing it out of your head?

I enjoyed it very much. Monty P. could have learn from it. I can see the scetch in front of my eyes.
So, very well done!

Hans

Hello, Hans. Always good hearing from you, both in comment and in song. Yes, some folks probably think I'm outta my mind singing, but this one I can sing out of my head. I once played with a guy who sang all Bob Dylan songs and knew every word, even the extra verses that weren't always on the album. Heck, Bob himself uses a teleprompter.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Can't speak to your early recording works but...........this one is good.
Creative, interesting, fun and well done!

Thanks, Captain. I really like your newest, and really enjoy the old stuff you did, too.
© PG Music Forums