PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 01:46 AM
Hi Folks.
Here is my latest project.  In case you are wondering, it is a tune honoring "little" people who make big differences... Constructive comments are always welcomed. Thank you for listening!

Big A## Antennas

Lyrics:
Dig, dig fearless mole
Through the ice of Antarctic,
through the sands of Babylon,
Through the deep rooted lands,
through the barbed wire fence

And we are sitting at the kitchen tables trying to solve world dilemmas
Listening to the sky with our big a++ antennas. 
Seeing beautiful dreams, like something from science fiction
Pushing shopping carts as tireless rickshaws.

Fly, fly fearless sparrow -fly higher than a whistling arrow
through the busy parts of towns, through  the smoke of battlegrounds,
through the wire of the fence.

And we are sitting at the kitchen tables trying to solve world dilemmas
Listening to the aliens with our big a++ antennas. 
Pushing shopping carts as tireless rickshaws.

Tech stuff:BIAB:
1162:Bass, Acoustic, CelticReel Ev16 110
2867:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticReelDave Ev16 110
1164:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticReel Ev16 110
3363:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritClassicRockGrittyWah Ev 110
800:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SouthernSnappyGritty Ev 090
Loop in Song: Drums\FunkHalfNotePulseTambo
RealDrums:BodhranCelticReel^2-a,b:BrushesSimple 
Synths of Halion & Kontakt. Recorded/Mixed in Cakewalk. Composition/vocals - me.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 02:36 AM
Misha

Wonderful and inventive. Loved the vocals and the harmony parts - clever and melodic.

Interesting lyric and a backing that kept me engaged throughout.

Excellent work.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 03:37 AM
Hey Misha ...

Creative innovation! Your lyrics are always ear-catching with their messages. That intro caught my immediate attention. You have a special way with music that always makes me smile! I always look forward to your posts - this is a perfect example of why I say that. Excellent!

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 10:37 AM
Misha,

A nice opening. Is that a programmed guitar?

Cool musical landscape. A very big sound. I like the times when it takes a breath. Vocals and BGVs sound good. The wah guitar solo is excellent. Your lyrics are always intriguing.

Cool stuff.

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 10:51 AM
Misha,

That is a great intro - love the guitar...

Excellent song and vocals. Very creative lyrics - I completely enjoyed this one.

Bob
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 01:28 PM
Misha, your song cover is an expression of how I hear your music. Pulling from multiple sources that are strangely cohesive, yet extremely diverse.

I'm not sure why, but I'm always hear all of these different parts of bands that I wouldn't think to be in the same genre. It's like I hear small pieces of Bowie, Peter Schilling , Pink Floyd, The Talking Heads, Vertical Horizon...many. If you think of the uniqueness of those bands/artists it's easy to understand how you have carved out your own niche of of interesting.

I feel as though you don't overlook any aspect of your songs. From lyrics, arrangement, structure, melodic and harmonic content, to your production elements, and performance. I simply NEVER get bored.

Thank you for everything you put into your songs and share with us mortals. smile
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 04:44 PM
Hi Misha,

That's a very nice, but more, an intriquing song you made.
Especially because of these lyrics. But the melody is really your kind of thing.
I enjoyed it much.

Your instrument choice and the synth was very nice.
Although... for me they were a bit too loud compared with the vocals.
This is a serious observation and not some kind of revenge because you wrote me my voice was a bit too loud in my song :-)
By the way: Was that your wife singing in the background, like with the 'pa, pa, pa' sound and some lines?
Let me know!

Hans
Posted By: rayc Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/01/21 07:17 PM
Misha,
excellent song.
BIG backing that has your voice slightly overpowered. I think it'd only need you to find a small frequency Q to boost a little and the vocal will cut through the mix.
I love the dig/fly idea.
This is an all full ahead adventure song.
Love it.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/02/21 03:49 AM
Hi Misha,

had read the (sublime!) lyrics first and had somehow expected some other kind of song. But, wham, what a blast right from the start...

Absoloutely great stuff - again almost ingenious.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/02/21 07:40 AM
Hi Misha,

Man, what a powerful sound!

Your music is so original and inventive, I always know I'm in for a treat when you post a new one, and this is no exception.

Loved it!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/02/21 09:47 AM
Peter,
Thank you for listening and your kind comments!
--
Alan,
good to see you back! Thank you for giving this time and your support here and on SC!
---
FJ,
Thank you for listening and your feedback! Intro and partly rhythm guitars are programmed Kontakt session guitar series. In my opinion they go (mix) well with PG guitar RT's. The solo guitar is RT.
---
Bob,
Thank you for your support!

Caaron (Aaron),
thank you for listening and you generous comments.
--
Hans,
"revenge" huh? funny. Thank you for your comments here and on SC! Ray mentioned the voice / backing ratio too, have to re-evaluate it with "fresh" ears. No, I singed the higher parts smile
--
Ray thank you for listening your support, and especially comments on the mix!

--
Stefan,
Glad to see you stop by! Thank you for your kind words of support!
--
Dave,
Thank you for giving this ear and your generous feedback here and on SC!

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/02/21 05:34 PM
"And we are sitting at the kitchen tables trying to solve world dilemmas
Listening to the aliens with our big a++ antennas.
Pushing shopping carts as tireless rickshaws."

One of the many aspects we enjoy regarding your productions is connecting our own dots with the lyrics.
Not to imply they are obtuse as on the contrary they are very rich imagery but there is always the notion that it could go this way ... or that way.

Your work with the RT guitars and the programmed ones is excellent -- all of the tracks sounded very cohesive.

Your vocals always have an aura of mystery about them which makes them more than technically excellent (which they are).

The icing on the cake is the most engaging arrangement.

A treat.

J&B
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/02/21 07:41 PM
Howdy Misha....

Very well done and I echo all other comments.

You have a very distinguished, unmistakable style with an ethnic flavor that's hard to describe.
In fact...I now think of your body of work as the Xabarovskiy Krai genre.

Keep up the good work....
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/03/21 12:12 AM
Hi Misha
All the usual components of your songs - quirky and beautiful lyrics, musical creativity and engaging vocals - are present in abundance. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/03/21 12:22 PM
What a powerful song!
Great lyrical development and the band sounds good.
The arrangement is exceptional.

I do agree with RayC though, try some EQ and/or some rebalancing to bring the vocals forward a bit.

Well done!

moto
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/03/21 09:05 PM
Misha.
Your musical journey continues to be innovative , inventive and creative. I am very happy to be along for this ride on your very own magical mystery tour.
Your Fan
Gary.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/05/21 02:42 PM
What a cool song Misha. Big sound on the backtrack. Loved the mix on this. Very cool vocal and lyric. Well done.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/05/21 04:57 PM
That is one cool song. Excellent lyrics, as always. I love the idea of the big a++ antenna. Great images - the mole and the sparrow. A+ work!
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/05/21 05:45 PM
Different yet very engaging. The synths blend magically with the Celtic real tracks and provide the perfect vehicle for those imaginative lyrics. Well done.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/06/21 12:35 AM
Read the lyrics first and was bowled over. I was going to love it no matter what music supported the words. Turned out to be good on all fronts. Got a little too busy for me at one point but it passed. Great work!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/11/21 08:07 PM
I like the band on this. A bit different band style than most of your stuff, but still retains your uniqueness. Good choice.

Love the BGV parts.

Awesome song.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/12/21 07:14 PM
Hi Misha.
Amazing lyrics and musical arrangement. As others have suggested you could bring up the vox a little.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/13/21 09:41 AM
You've created a really cool drum beat. The percussion is just the beginning of all that's so cool in this song, Misha. The dynamics are great as is the harmony and the background voices. Excellent lyrics and a great idea for the write. Very entertaining.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/14/21 09:30 PM
A sonic treat!!! Love the soundstage you've captured!! Always love your incredibly creative lyrics and unique vocal!! VERY cool!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Big A## Antennas - 06/14/21 09:41 PM
This deserves Two big A$$ thumbs up. One for originality and one for the production. Great vocal and lyrics with an outstanding backing band!

Misha this is your best to date IMHO.
© PG Music Forums