PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor A bent note piano tune ala Floyd Cramer - 06/06/21 02:54 PM
https://app.box.com/s/k2o7lpx4br2pr7bd2dt55874lvqeh08y

I've always enjoyed the Floyd Cramer style of bent note piano playing more recently called Nashville piano which has become ubiquitous in modern Country music with the playing of John Jarvis, et al.

I think Chet Atkins encouraged Floyd to develop his own signature sound which he did "in spades". A sound that is still very much alive 50+ years later.
Posted By: firesong Re: A bent note piano tune ala Floyd Cramer - 06/08/21 11:48 PM
Thanks Don for posting this...Floyd Cramer indeed changed and defined what is country style piano playing...I am a big fan of his may he rest in peace...I read he invented bent-note because he wanted his piano to sound like a guitar...thanks for sharing this...Dan.
Yes, Donny. That certainly captured Floyd's style.

I recall 'On The Rebound' was a big success for Floyd at one stage.
Posted By: edshaw Re: A bent note piano tune ala Floyd Cramer - 06/09/21 05:06 PM
Great post, Don. Thanks.
I've been using Band in a Box's Slow Country Swing with Bent Piano by John Jarvis exclusively now for a couple of years, attempting to adapt a blend of turn of the century mountain gospel, Appalachian, with what would later become known as "country." I am absolutely amazed at how that style, as John plays it, adapts itself like magic to fills and solos in country swing. I gave up trying to analyze it or figure it out.
Sounds good to me!

Moto
Nice tune. Love that piano.
Thanks for sharing that Don. An enduring style for us.

J&B
Posted By: ROG Re: A bent note piano tune ala Floyd Cramer - 06/13/21 09:59 AM
Hi Don,

Perfect! What more could I say?

Well maybe that you've captured the mood in spectacular fashion, but more
than that because it's such a great listen.

Beautifully chosen tracks and an excellent mix.

Nicely done old friend.

Best,
ROG.
Very nice tune indeed!

Mike B.
© PG Music Forums