PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong The Great I Am - 06/07/21 04:10 PM
I love writing and playing songs in minor keys...there is a gravitas build into the dark nature of the minor key...this is a Praise and Worship song with that flavor.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=5297198

BiaB ingredients:
366 Bass
364 Acoustic Guitar
368 Acoustic Guitar
2550 Electric guitar
1167 Electric Guitar
Real Drums NashvilleEven 8s

I added: Vocals, Piano, strings, French horns and synth
Key Am @72 BPM
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: The Great I Am - 06/07/21 05:49 PM
Atmospheric, inviting, impelling. This thoughtful and thought-provoking composition contains all the right ingredients. The quieter moments prepare the listener for the more dramatic ones. The additional instruments (strings, FHs, and synths) are perfectly placed and executed. A strong lyric with a well-matched accompaniment makes for a worthwhile experience. Thank you!
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 06/07/21 09:16 PM
Ghostgum...thanks for the comments...your thoughts are always valued and encouraging...I truly appreciate your reviews of the songs and look forward to them...thanks again for listening and commenting...Dan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: The Great I Am - 06/07/21 09:24 PM
Nice production!

moto
Posted By: 90 dB Re: The Great I Am - 06/07/21 09:48 PM
Absolutely beautiful.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 06/08/21 03:22 PM
Thanks moto and Bob for the kind comments...Dan
Posted By: Worship Tracks Re: The Great I Am - 08/10/21 11:26 PM
Yeah you got it going on, very nice job for sure!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Great I Am - 08/14/21 08:32 AM
Beautiful work Dan on a great tune! Your vocals are absolutely awesome! The subject matter though is the star here! This is excellent! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Great I Am - 08/14/21 10:31 AM
The Great I AM. Love that, Dan. You did a wonderful job of developing that idea and the song.
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 08/16/21 01:41 PM
Michael, Torrey and Marty....thanks so much for your comments...they are to say the least encouraging...this song just about says it all for me...I'm so happy you liked it and appreciated it for what it is...my heart as a writer...thanks again...Dan
Posted By: Will Josef Re: The Great I Am - 08/24/21 10:40 PM
Wow.. this is a very, very beautiful song... I enjoyed it a lot! Very good production and mix!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Will
Posted By: rayc Re: The Great I Am - 08/25/21 07:13 AM
I lost my 1st response..oh well...
The FX on the 1st verse vocal, actually all through, are triggered to excess by relatively minor essing & plosives.
You ought to address those sounds PRE FX if you know how.
Sonically there's plenty of Moody Blues style heaviosity.

The syllable gargling of "...the end..." and "...Abraham" sound really like obvious affectations in that early part of the song.

I think the song needs a gear change about 2/3rds the way through - key/tempo/dynamics - something. The "soaring" lead thing isn't a bad idea but the RealTrack doesn't really do it for me.

Lyrically, there's a little too much repetition and the Alpha Omega bit is open to diverse interpretation...I get the 1st and last but the idea of Alpha male also came forward pretty quickly.

Good work, solid arrangement, solid melody, HEAVYness abounds.
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 09/07/21 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wow.. this is a very, very beautiful song... I enjoyed it a lot! Very good production and mix!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Will

Thanks Will...that means a lot to me...Dan
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 09/07/21 02:57 PM
rayc...Thanks so much for your thoughts...I appreciate your perspective on both the technical and artistic aspects of the song...I struggle with ess's and reverb levels...someday I'll figure it out...though after 40+ years of home recording...maybe not?

It is a "heavy" song both musically and thematically...the minor nature of it tends to keep it that way...perhaps a key change or something could lighten it up a bit...it is obviously a worship song and repetition is the essence of contemporary worship music structure (sadly perhaps).

The "Alpha and Omega" is a direct quote from the Book of Revelation and an often used reference to Jesus Christ...Who, if He is not the ultimate "alpha male"...I don't know who would qualify for that position...though I never intended the lyric in that respect.

I always appreciate your insights...thanks...Dan
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Great I Am - 09/08/21 10:19 PM
Excellent tune. Love the mix and production on this song. Super vocal and lyric. Backtrack was excellent..
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 09/09/21 01:56 AM
Thank you Scott...I appreciate your comments and am glad that you enjoyed the song...best regards...Dan
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Great I Am - 09/09/21 03:44 AM

Nice work - pleasing production and a nice big vocal sound and solid backing.

Peter
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 09/09/21 11:17 PM
Peter...thanks for your comments...I appreciate it...Dan
Posted By: Bawb Re: The Great I Am - 09/10/21 07:13 PM
Yes!! You get 2 big thumbs up from me. Great vocals, and a really good musical arrangement. Also using Jesus' and God's real name? Yeah, bonus points for that. Praise Yah!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Great I Am - 09/10/21 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Beautiful work Dan on a great tune! Your vocals are absolutely awesome! The subject matter though is the star here! This is excellent! Thanks, Torrey

I totally agree. Your mix is absolutely brilliant. Fantastic instrumentation!

Loved it!
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 09/11/21 12:08 AM
Bawb and Mario..it's always great to hear that other writers appreciate your efforts...this song is more than special to me and I am encouraged that others fell the warmth of its fire...thanks Dan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Great I Am - 09/12/21 08:29 PM
Beautiful production. Lush.

Love the minor key---works well here for subject.

Excellent vocal.
Posted By: firesong Re: The Great I Am - 09/13/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Beautiful production. Lush.

Love the minor key---works well here for subject.

Excellent vocal.

Thanks for your thoughts...they are appreciated.
© PG Music Forums