PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 08:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is my contribute for june, it is a waltz! https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/change-of-times
It is a rocky waltz dealing with Obsolescence in a way others tell that you are getting older.
I thought that would be something nice this month...

It took me nearly a month to compose it the way I wanted it. So it was a bit difficult. In between I made 'Nice time After All' to set my mind on something else.
Still the melody got stuck in my head, so here it is.

Tell me what was good or what I can improve
I hope you like it despite the topic ;-)
Hans

Beyond this point are the lyrics and the used instruments on this song
====================================================================================
Changing of times
HWBerkhout 070621

I see clouds gathering
The sun disappears
The bluish sky turns dark gray
And I fear this day

I had a nightmare, my time was changing
Future was no longer mine
And the past echoed in my words
I was losing ground

I'm afraid my world becomes more difficult
My expectations as well
Obsolescence is now embracing my life
Still it is not present in my head

But then you said my time is changing
Future is no longer mine
You say the past echoes in my words
And I am losing ground
Yes I am losing ground

=Solo=

I thought getting older can also be nice
As it happens to all of us
I only need to know how to deal with it
So I tried and try it, again and again

I accepted aging is now part of me
I even call it 'fate'
I accepted to walk another path
It only takes me time to find

Then you said my time is changing
Future is no longer mine
 You say the past echoes in my words
 And I am losing ground

You say my time is changing
  I am losing ground
  And the past echoes in my words
Well, maybe that's my legacy!
===========================================================================
Style: DALLY.STY (Dally Pop Rock Waltz)

RT: 1178: Bas,
RT: 2865: Piano
RT: 858:  Guitar, El.
RT: 855:  12 string ac.
RT: 1183: Guitar, El.
RT: 1107: Fiddle, Bluegrass
RT: 3287: Guitar, 12 string Ac
RD: PopRockWaltzEv,SideStickHat,Ride
Keyboard, Komplete: Symphony, String ensemble
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 08:47 AM
Ah, I get to be first on yours after you were just first on mine.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 08:54 AM
Ok, I quickly put up that comment in case I list my position. wink Oh, yeah, Hans, that melody is haunting, especially in three-quarter time. I was kinda waiting for a change in time signature. hehe. Man, this is a cool song. I don't really see getting old to be so sad, but maybe I'm just in denial, huh? A wonderful production, Hans. Your vocal carries it, and I really like the harmony. The passion makes me want to reach out a hand and help you up while you're losing ground. That's the way to engage your listeners.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 08:56 AM
Yeah Marty, we were both the first to comment on our songs!
Still I miss your substantive comment a bit...

Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 11:11 AM
Hans,

Excellent. Good write. Cool music. There is a bit of a Bowie vibe.

Super arrangement. Nice instrument choices. Really good mix. Good vocals.

One of your very best!! Very much enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 08:36 PM
Lovely song Hans. Sometimes they come fast and some songs have to be slow cooked. I must say this is a very cool song. Super vocal and lyric. Love the way you processed the vocal. Backtrack was just excellent. Well done..
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/11/21 08:58 PM
June's contribution sounds like it should be a September song.

Don't give away the future to those who have little past.

Very Nice.

moto
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/12/21 12:18 AM
Yes, I think one of your best; it really hit home for me. Perfect amount of emotion in your voice for the subject matter. As the solo neared, I was thinking electric guitar but you surprised me with violin. Good job on all counts!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/13/21 07:44 AM
Hoi Hans,

first of all: a marvellous package!

I've said it before: You really know how to use BIAB - this song is, again, wonderfully put together and arranged.
The dedication in your singing is amazing.

Yes, things change as we get older, peppiness and sturdiness are fading (and a lot of other things, too). And, yes, the younger generations are not too keen on listening to what we still may have to say, but I can well remeber that we weren't that different. But all that shouldn't make us lose our ground Our ground is not what we used to have or be, our ground should be what (and most of all WHOM) we have and what we are NOW.

Let us struggle through our old days and still try to enjoy them as much as we can, we only got that one life and those remaining days.

Not so easy? Yes, Nothing's Easy Anymore !

Bur let's just keep on truckin' !

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/13/21 08:56 AM
Great song, Hans. Excellent use of the BIAB style complementary "strings." Engaging lyrics and strong vocal performance made for a worthwhile listening experience. Well done.
Posted By: rayc Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/14/21 06:59 AM
Hans,
on the to do side the backing vocals could be a tighten fit with the lead vocal...they are close but the timing differences are a little distracting for me.
Nice build in the song and a good arrangement to support that.
Another strong vocal performance. I look forward to hearing your voice with only the slightest touch of processing as it seems/sounds ready to have the "training wheels" removed.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/14/21 07:58 AM
Hi everyone,

Contrary to what is customary here, I would like to write you something.
I want to tell you something about the reason choosing this subject. I forgot that in my first post about announcing the song.
Some said to me my lyrics are so personal, but that isn't the case. I like thinking or fantasizing about certain subjects, but that doesn't mean they are/were my problems. Like this song; although there are personal elements in it (I'm getting older too) it's not a song about me or self-pity or whatever. Not at all.

I read in the newspaper about obsolesence and how people fell or talk about it, young and old. Stupid enough, I didn't really know the meaning of that word. AFter reading the article suddenly I hear the word all around. Even my son sent me an article about it recently.

And maybe it sounds strange, but I liked the rhythm of that word. I decided to make a song where that word is in it. I wasn't sure if it would be in Dutch or English. But now you know what language won.

I'm also aware the song might feel a bit dark and maybe not the best choice for this time of year. But I think it's better to have a 'dark' song when the sun shines than when it's winter. Who knows what that might do?
And I was already working on some kind of waltz. The first lyrics were about politic issues. After singing that I felt I became too moralistic. Well and there the word 'obsolesence' came in... So, still a bit personal.
But, don't worry. Till now I don't need psychological help or assistance, only sometimes a nice post of the same kind you often wrote on my songs.

I hope that you can enjoy the song more now, after this explanation.

And in my next post I start answering your posts!
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/14/21 08:31 AM
Hi Marty, Floyd, Scott and Captain Moto,

Thank a lot for your very kind comments on my song. I hope the topic did nothing bad to you.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Ok, I quickly put up that comment in case I list my position. wink Oh, yeah, Hans, that melody is haunting, especially in three-quarter time. I was kinda waiting for a change in time signature. hehe. Man, this is a cool song. I don't really see getting old to be so sad, but maybe I'm just in denial, huh? A wonderful production, Hans. Your vocal carries it, and I really like the harmony. The passion makes me want to reach out a hand and help you up while you're losing ground. That's the way to engage your listeners.

Marty, as I said you fooled me with your first reaction! The song was in 140 bpm, so a time change would be too difficult. and are you refering to my other waltz (Beautiful night)?
I'm very happy with your gesture to reach me a hand, Marty. But only if that hand is filled with a glas of Cuba Libre! But just one, or I loose ground very soon! But thanks for your nice comment!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
Excellent. Good write. Cool music. There is a bit of a Bowie vibe.
Super arrangement. Nice instrument choices. Really good mix. Good vocals.
One of your very best!! Very much enjoyed.
fj

Floyd, you flatter me with your comments. Now I have to be careful not to get vain!
A Bowie vibe... wow! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song Hans. Sometimes they come fast and some songs have to be slow cooked. I must say this is a very cool song. Super vocal and lyric. Love the way you processed the vocal. Backtrack was just excellent. Well done..

Scott, It's so right what you say; 'sometimes to be slow cooked. Thanks a lot for your observations on the song!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
June's contribution sounds like it should be a September song.
Don't give away the future to those who have little past.
Very Nice.

moto

Captain Moto, I wrote a post here, just before this post to the four of you. The right time of year for songs is a feeling. In december you can easily get depressed by these kind of songs. Maybe june is still good ? And what a nice sentence about giving away future! I might use it in a song in september ;-)
Thanks!

Thanks for listening and have a very nice day,
Hans
Posted By: rsdean Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/14/21 10:01 AM
Hans,

This is my favorite from you so far... An outstanding piece of music.

The lyric, arrangement and your vocal completely shine...

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/16/21 10:14 AM
Hi TuneMonger and Stefan,

Thanks for your very nice words on the song. I realy enjoyed them. I also like the song much (that's why it took me longer to compose it, find the right words and melody. It was also nice to see SoundCloud made it nr. 1 of the week for Rocksongs ;-)
'Nice Time' was also nr. 1, on Sing a song writers on SoundCloud, so I think I'm gonna be famous.
Don't you think so too?

Especially when I read you wrote it's one of my best songs...
But then I wondered how come I got only a handful of listeners? I thought maybe the topic was too heavy, or it wasn't nice enough. That went through my head all the time. I think Stefan would say not to worry. we all face this once in a while. Maybe there are too many good songs on the forum... I think he is right (if he had said this).

But I cherish the words you wrotre to me:

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Yes, I think one of your best; it really hit home for me. Perfect amount of emotion in your voice for the subject matter. As the solo neared, I was thinking electric guitar but you surprised me with violin. Good job on all counts!

TuneMonger, I had to smile when I fooled you with the solo. But you are right on that. It is a rocksong so a guitar would be the normal choice. what happened was that at first it wasn't meant to be a rocky song and the violinsolo was already in it. Then I came up with the gritty guitars and suddenly there was a whole new dimension in the song and I liked that. And kept the violinsolo too.

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hoi Hans,
first of all: a marvellous package!

I've said it before: You really know how to use BIAB - this song is, again, wonderfully put together and arranged.
The dedication in your singing is amazing.

Yes, things change as we get older, peppiness and sturdiness are fading (and a lot of other things, too). And, yes, the younger generations are not too keen on listening to what we still may have to say, but I can well remember that we weren't that different. But all that shouldn't make us lose our ground Our ground is not what we used to have or be, our ground should be what (and most of all WHOM) we have and what we are NOW.

Let us struggle through our old days and still try to enjoy them as much as we can, we only got that one life and those remaining days.
Not so easy? Yes, Nothing's Easy Anymore !
But let's just keep on truckin' !

All the best,
Stefan

Stefan, as I wrote at the start of this post, you're all so kind with your compliments. and no, I am certainly not a master on BiaB. I learned a lot how to handle it, but I also know there is much more in it. And probably also things that could make my work more easier than it is now.

And of course you don't need to lose ground if you are convinced in what you are. But in a philosophical sense we both are right. One can easily gets uncertain when things change around him. And when you start your story with: "Well, in my time..."etc. look what happens ;-)

And have I told you I enjoyed that video of yours very much. You gave it to me once, with a lot more videos. A great video and a great song!

I hope you have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/16/21 06:48 PM
Hi Ghostgum,Ray and Bob,

I really enjoyed all your nice words on this song. And also the wise words how to improve what I do (Ray).
Below I react on your comments.

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Great song, Hans. Excellent use of the BIAB style complementary "strings." Engaging lyrics and strong vocal performance made for a worthwhile listening experience. Well done.

Ghostgum, thans again for your comment. I have to correct one thing; the strings weren't from BiaB, only the fiddle. The strings are from Native instruments, Symphony essentials. So I played it on my keyboard.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Hans,
on the to do side the backing vocals could be a tighten fit with the lead vocal...they are close but the timing differences are a little distracting for me. Nice build in the song and a good arrangement to support that.
Another strong vocal performance. I look forward to hearing your voice with only the slightest touch of processing as it seems/sounds ready to have the "training wheels" removed.

Ray, you are right for the bg-vocals in the last part of the song. There it was more difficult to sing tight with the lead singer. He is always improvising when he sings. Never tight to the script. Terrible guy!
And what nice picture I got from your plea to get rid of the 'training wheels'! I think I never had them in real life. But today I did an update on 'But the children play', a song I made in 2018. Terrible, that amount of reverb I used then! There is also a version with Joanne Cooper. She understood what you said. But take a listen to my version, if you want. Maybe you can tell me I got rid of the wheels there!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hans,
This is my favorite from you so far... An outstanding piece of music.
The lyric, arrangement and your vocal completely shine...
Loved it!

Bob

Bob, that is great news for me! I also think it is one of my good songs. But I had a mixing course and probably it help me a bit more. I still need to satisfy Ray, but you are already in. I hope I can keep it that way!

And I wish you all a very nice thursday (and more),
Hans
Posted By: PeterF Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/17/21 12:23 AM
Hans

You are constantly improving and this is a very good song.

Enjoyed the production, write and performance.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/17/21 05:01 PM
John, you are back!!!

Janice said she can certainly sympathize with trying to sing to an improvising lead smile

This is a power packed emotional ballad. And everything comes together very nicely as
it is very well written and performed. We love the arrangement and the mix showcases
it all.

"I accepted aging is now part of me
I even call it 'fate'
It only takes me time to find"

As Black Hawk said, "every man must make his own path." indeed.

Great band, vocals and mix.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/17/21 09:44 PM
Hans, I agree with everything that has been said already.

Outstanding vocal - loved the effects

Great lyrics that I can relate too.

Super instrumentation and mix.

IMHO This is your best to date.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/18/21 07:25 PM
Darkly rich, or richly dark!! Very well put together! Love the ramp up and heavy guitars when they come in......a treat for the ears!! AND the vocal is excellent!! Nice work all around Hans!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deej56 Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/18/21 11:48 PM
Hans,

Lovely opening with that violin really carrying the mood. You’re vocal really fits the song and, as I listen, really resonates, with some cool backing vox. Love that electric guitar kicking in on that first chorus (fourth stanza of the write). A small nit on the write is that it strikes me that present and past tense isn’t quite consistent throughout the write, for example, the first verse after the solo, last two lines, where “I only needed to know” makes more sense given “So I tried and try”. Small point, which doesn’t impact the song in its totality. Really impressive work!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/19/21 10:26 AM
Hello Peter, Janice and Bud, Mario, Greg and Deej,

What nice posts you wrote to me. I feel flattered!
I will answer you all below this point:

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans
You are constantly improving and this is a very good song.
Enjoyed the production, write and performance.
Peter

Peter, that's what I meant with being flattered. Thanks a lot, man!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
John, you are back!!!
Janice said she can certainly sympathize with trying to sing to an improvising lead smile
This is a power packed emotional ballad. And everything comes together very nicely as
it is very well written and performed. We love the arrangement and the mix showcases
it all.

"I accepted aging is now part of me
I even call it 'fate'
It only takes me time to find"

As Black Hawk said, "every man must make his own path." indeed.
Great band, vocals and mix.
Well done!
J&B

Janice and Bud, Yes, John is here again ;-))) That was a nice intro of a very nice post, J&B.
And Janice is so right on that singing problem. Yesterday I had to do a recoring again, because I started to improvise on my chorusses. No way you could ever sing along with that.

Bud, about Black Hawk... I only know this as an excellent californian red wine. And after a bottle I have difficulties fining my own path. So he is right.
Thanks a lot for your comment and compliments

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hans, I agree with everything that has been said already.
Outstanding vocal - loved the effects
Great lyrics that I can relate too.
Super instrumentation and mix.
IMHO This is your best to date.

Mario, i was right by saying I feel flattered by your posts. And you are no execption on that too. The only thing: I hope more 'best to date' will follow. but keep me sharp on that! i like to learn.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Darkly rich, or richly dark!! Very well put together! Love the ramp up and heavy guitars when they come in......a treat for the ears!! AND the vocal is excellent!! Nice work all around Hans!! Take care. Greg

Greg, I just wrote a comment on your recent song, BayBose, but you win in telling what you think of my song. what nice words. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Hans,
Lovely opening with that violin really carrying the mood. You’re vocal really fits the song and, as I listen, really resonates, with some cool backing vox. Love that electric guitar kicking in on that first chorus (fourth stanza of the write). A small nit on the write is that it strikes me that present and past tense isn’t quite consistent throughout the write, for example, the first verse after the solo, last two lines, where “I only needed to know” makes more sense given “So I tried and try”. Small point, which doesn’t impact the song in its totality. Really impressive work!

All my best,
Deej

Deej, what I said to the others above counts for you too, of course. Very nice compliments!
And I really appreciate you came with a suggestion for the lyrics. I like it when this happens. But I do not agree with you on it.

The lyrics: I thought getting older can also be nice
as it happens to all of us
I only need to know how to deal with it
So I tried and I try it, again and again

In these lines I still need to know how i can deal with how to deal with the aging problems. I tried it, and still trying it
If I wrote I only needed to know, that is the past tense and suggested I learned it by now. But I don't. (in the story of course)

Let me know what you think of my explanation.
I made some mistakes in my singing however:
'You say the past echoes in my words'is in the lyrics, but I sang You said the past echoed in my words...
But I left it like that there.

Thanks everyone and have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/21/21 11:13 AM
Stefan is right, excellent use of BIAB tracks. Wonderfully arranged production and instrumentation.

The music keeps my interest all the way through the song.

The ending fits in perfectly with the subject of the the lyrics.

Outstanding composition!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/21/21 01:45 PM

Hans,

This is by far my favoring song of yours. I love it.

It feels really authentic, from the heart, from the soul, and sung that way too.

The lift and energy are marvelous. It all came together. A real artistic sound. Do it again man!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/22/21 06:17 AM
Hi Hans,

This is GREAT! My favorite of yours so far I think.

Excellent vocal, and I really like the arrangement too, the way you build the dynamics.

Loved this from the start to that very cool ending, well done.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A rocky waltz: Change of times - 06/30/21 12:27 PM
Hi Ezekiel, David and Dave,

I just wrote a message to you and at the final sentence (something like 'goodbye') the whole message disappeared.
But in short it sounded that I was excusing me for my long delay in answering your very kind posts. I was on a short holiday with others. But thanks for your remarks. I was very pleased with them.

It feels good you said this song is your favorite, but on the other hand the bar is getting higher now for me to make an even better favorite song! But I will try. watch my contribute for july...
You don't have such feelings I suppose? Your songs are always very good, but now you'll probably call me a slime ball.
But then you're wrong!

We hear each other again about our new songs,
Hans
© PG Music Forums