PG Music Home
Posted By: NigelSpiers Tom Cat Blues - 06/13/21 08:22 PM
Tom Cat Blues

Hi Folks,

This song is about our Tom Cat called "Gus" who terrorized all the neighborhood Cats and Dogs. Guitarists - get a cold beer, strap yourself in, turn up the volume and enjoy the playing of Nick Blackmore.

Featuring:
Electric Piano - Nigel Spiers
Vocals - Nigel Spiers
Brass Section - Nigel Spiers
Drums and Bass - Custom designed Midi tracks using Band in a Box.
Rhythm Guitar - Oliver Spiers
Lead Guitar - Nick Blackmore

Music & Lyrics, Mixing and Mastering by Nigel Spiers

From the album: "Christmas EP" by The Garage Swing Band.

Lyrics

Love my ladies short, round like a rubber ball
Love my ladies long, long, lean and tall
Love them in the morning, love them late at night
All day long, sleeping by the firelight
If you see me out tonight
Creeping through the pale moonlight
I'll be howling, prowling all night long

Cats You better watch out, stay in doors tonight
Tom Cats beware, I'm looking for a fight
Diamonds for my teeth, razors for my claws
Dynamite is on my breath, whiskey on my paws
If you see me out tonight
Creeping through the pale moonlight
I'll be howling, prowling all night long

Posted By: Crossroads Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/14/21 04:32 AM
Hi Nigel and gang,

COOOOOOL. Man, that's really rollin#... Awesome guitar solo indeed. The (excellent!) vocals were a bit on the lower side, so I couldn't understand everything - how about editing your post and adding the lyrics?

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/14/21 05:07 AM
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your comments.

I've just added the lyrics to my post as you suggested.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/15/21 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Stefan,

I've just added the lyrics to my post as you suggested.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks a lot, Nigel. Love the lyrics. Reminded me on a song I wrote back in the seventies: Tom Cat In The Rain. Same subject, but a little more descriptive smile And musically so much worse than yours...
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/15/21 12:52 PM
OH Yes!

Howl'n guitar, nice keys, horns are hot and the vocals wrap it all up into a smok'n package.

Loved it!

moto
Posted By: Scott C Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/16/21 11:24 PM
Got a chuckle from your write up intro. I have a Maltese that loves to give everyone the gears as they walk by. Loved the tune. Excellent vocal, guitar. Backup bank was excellent...
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/17/21 02:43 AM
Hi Moto,

Thanks for your support - much appreciated,

Best regards
Nigel
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/17/21 08:52 AM
Wonderful a always, Nigel. We had a cat, Axl, who died earlier this year. He would've been a challenger for Gus. Eventually respect would meld them into a formative duo of prowlers. Man, those horns are such a big deal for these songs. This one has that Backdoor-Man attitude and it could be a message to all those other "cats" in the neighborhood to keep their "kittens" away. Love it!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/19/21 06:53 AM
Hi Nigel,

Now all cat lovers are reacting to your catchy song!
I too made several songs about my (three) cats, but none of them in your style. But I don't have such mean cats and two of them are girls.
Whatever; your song is a nice swinging song with a nice gritty guitar (and rest of the band). And the vocals are very suited for this kind of music. Well done!
I have one question about your ending of the song. To me it was a bit abrupt. Why not a ram on your guitar reverberating till the end, or a big 'miauw' scream or something like that? Of course it isn't a real issue at all. The song is good and that's all that counts.
I enjoyed it very much!

Hans
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/20/21 07:38 PM
Hi Marty,

Yes (as previously mentioned) I would love to hear some Jump Blues/R&B horns from PGMusic in their next release of BIAB at the end of the year with Stabs and Fills etc. Maybe you could add your support in the Real Tracks Wishlist forum.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/21/21 11:06 AM
I am digging the sound of the electric piano. Nick's guitar sounds on fire.

Love the lyrics, especially, "Love my ladies short, round like a rubber ball/Love my ladies long, long, lean and tall."
Posted By: rayc Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/21/21 09:59 PM
That's a tasty piece...and yes, nice bitey solo.
The panning of the drums feels odd - it reinforces the repetitive basic pattern - and the kick has more thwack than thud.
The horns could use some EQ shaping to removed the keyboard sound a little from the top end - or adjust the release/sustain.
Your voice and piano are fab.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/22/21 12:53 AM
Sort of cross between Jim Croce and Boz Scaggs - and I mean that in the best way!

You're got some excellent players on the track as well. That guitar solo got my attention.

As usual, pro through and through!

Minor nit - it would have been nice if you had left a bit of "dead space" after the cut at the end of the track. Through no fault of your own, SoundCloud immediately jumps right to the next song, and sort of spoils the effect.

Fun listen! smile
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/22/21 09:01 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the comments - yes Nick was certainly pumping out some great guitar lines that day in my Studio.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/23/21 08:57 PM
Love the way that EP creates the mood!!! Vocal is KILLER!!! Everything sounds GREAT!! What are you using for the horn part? Great track!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/24/21 12:14 AM
Hi David,

Song Ending - well spotted and thanks - I have added 3 seconds to the end of the song.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/25/21 07:23 AM
Hi Ray,

I agree with all your thoughts but unfortunately it was recorded some years ago and all I have to play with now is one Stereo track. Therefore I can't alter any of the details - much as I would love to - especially the drums and bass.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/26/21 10:12 PM
Hi Greg,

The "Horn Section" was done on an old E-mu Vintage Keys rack mount Synth and Roland Digital Piano.

The sound is more Synth than Brass but it was a sound I used a lot on live Gigs - especially back in the day when we used to play all Robert Palmer's hits (Doctor Doctor Give Me The News, Addicted To Love etc).

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: TVI Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/27/21 01:51 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
The "Horn Section" was done on an old E-mu Vintage Keys rack mount Synth and Roland Digital Piano.

The sound is more Synth than Brass but it was a sound I used a lot on live Gigs - especially back in the day when we used to play all Robert Palmer's hits (Doctor Doctor Give Me The News, Addicted To Love etc).

Ha ha, this is really fun Nigel, great mix and performance, all the way around.. wink smile
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Tom Cat Blues - 06/30/21 09:40 PM
Hi TVI,

Yes - if "Gus" the tom cat was even more cunning he would have put out bread crumbs for the birds.

Best Regards
Nigel
© PG Music Forums