PG Music Home
Posted By: Chris Dent FLASHBACKS - 06/14/21 08:58 PM
Hi everyone. Here's a new track that was a lot of fun putting together.

I started out writing the song in the style ELJAM_E.STY - Blues shuffle. Then I added harmonica - Real 423 Harmonica Background Blues. The harp reminded me so much of a player in one of my old bands that I tried to recreate the sound we used to have playing live...

To get the sound low-down and dirty I ended up replacing all the BIAB tracks except the harp...

Drums are Groove Monkey midi played in EZDrummer.
Bass is my el cheapo Artist bass.
Rhythm and lead guitars are strat.
Harmonica is BIAB but I added an amp to dirty it up a bit.

All amps are Amplitube modelled Fenders (various) cranked to 10! ha ha

This took me back 30 years to the good old days of playing loud live music....

Hope you enjoy...

https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023/flashbacks
Posted By: MarioD Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/14/21 09:30 PM
Chris, this gave me flashbacks to the late 60s early 70s. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Allman Brothers, ZZTop, or any other blues band from that era could have easily do this one. This sounds great. Good vocal augmented with some great guitar chops. This sounds like it was recorded at the Fillmore East!

Loved it.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/14/21 10:07 PM
Hi Chris,

Yeah - this is real music. Definitely sounded like 1:00am at the Southern Blues Bar all those years ago - happy memories.

Instruments - Well played.

Vocals - You've got a good vocal hook line with "Flashbacks". When you have a good vocal hook you can't repeat it enough.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 12:01 AM
Thanks Mario, yes, that era was definitely our influence - and even earlier...
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 09:54 AM
Wow, you did a great job re-creating that live sound, Chris. Love that interplay between the guitar and harmonica. A great experience right from getting my hand stamped at the door, through diggin my way to the bar, then trying to watch you guys play with all those dancing bodies in front of the stage.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 10:16 AM
Brings back memories, 30 years ago was about when I was still playing live music too wink And music not unlike this.

You captured the live vibe perfectly, and excellent job playing the various instruments.

Very well done!
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 10:28 AM
Howdy Chris....

This is a good write.
I liked everything about it.
Yep....60's/70's feel with some Charlie Musselwhite/Paul Butterfield vibe thrown in.

Good stuff....well done.

Carry on....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 10:29 AM
Chris,

Down and dirty, indeed. Great FLASHBACK to a simpler time - awesome live-band sound.

Nice job on the production and the playing.

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Crossroads Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 10:51 AM
Wow, Chris - that's my kind of music. Rough, dity and earthy. I'm surely missing those days, too !!!! Got any more flashbacks in store?

Great job, Chris !

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 12:34 PM
That was killer! Knocked me out! Great playing! Loved the ending.
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 08:58 PM
Dear friends, thanks for listening and commenting. I'm glad this track brought back some fond reminiscences for those who also remember (vaguely?) the days of live, loud music. I don't know what it is like elsewhere but the health and safety regulation have really hit the live music scene here in Australia. I remember one of my later gigs where the management had installed a DB monitor with a certain limit which we weren't allowed to exceed. The background crowd noise was already over the limit so we couldn't play a note!
Posted By: rayc Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/15/21 11:09 PM
Chris,
I recall a gig or two in a couple of Sydney venues where the "monitor" actually cut power to he band when it peaked.
The track is a great example of how BIAB can get players playing and replacing but holding onto something from the box. The treatment of the harmonica is great. Love it.
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/16/21 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Chris,
I recall a gig or two in a couple of Sydney venues where the "monitor" actually cut power to he band when it peaked.

Ha ha, yes Ray, I was going to mention that but I didn't think anyone would believe me! A terrible way to shut down a valve amp... We found you could get around it by running an extension lead from a different power point off stage... Fun and games.
Thanks for the comments.
Posted By: Scott C Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/16/21 11:31 PM
My kind of music Chris. Awesome tune. Guitar and Vocal were very cool. Well done.
Posted By: PeterF Re: FLASHBACKS - 06/17/21 12:10 AM
Very well done, good playing, singing and composing.

Very enjoyable.

Peter
© PG Music Forums