PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong The Smell of Jazzman - 06/17/21 06:39 PM
Venturing outside your chosen genre is sometimes risky but what the heck...here's an attempt to compose a smooth jazz piece with the help of BiaB...I'd listen to these guys all day if it weren't for the piano player...if you do, thanks for listening...Dan

https://soundclick.com/r/s8htls

Biab components:
365 Acoustic guitar-Jason Roller
508 Electric rhythm-Darin Favorite
1237 Electric jazz guitar-Dwight Sills
Piano-me

Drums, Bass and Piano are from my Yamaha Genos
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/17/21 06:51 PM
Howdy firesong....

I truly chuckled at a phrase on your link:
"An instrumental originally entitled "Sweet Spirit" but I figured no one would listen to it with that title so..."

You were correct....I would have passed it by with that title.
Of course, that's means absolutely nothing but I found it humorous enough to want to comment on. smile

To the composition:
I liked it very much.
Sounded like a I,IV,V,I when it started then morphed a bit.
Just a hasty observation.
You're piano playing is just fine.

I can hear lyrics and some smooth harmonies going on with this one.
To me....it begs some further developmental thinking....in my irrelevant opinion. smile

Is sound damn fine if my mix would be a bit different...also, irrelevant.
Good stuff....well done!
Posted By: bluage Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/17/21 07:12 PM
Dear 'firesong'...

The greatest thing about 'stretching out' can best be summed-up in this saying: "Don't be afraid to go out on a limb -- it's where all the fruit is!"

You got a bluesy, mellow-toned, yet crackling attack tone out of Dwight Sill's electric jazz guitar solo, a sublimely mood-enhancing comping track with Darin Favorite's rhythm electric guitar combined with Jason Roller's acoustic guitar accompaniment, all of which were rhythmically and melodically supported by your excellent chording on the piano.

I would have listened to this composition if it had been titled 'Sweet Spirit', although your composition has just enough of a minor key feel to it to cause me to add '& sad' after the word 'sweet', ha, ha laugh !!!

- bluage (blu-ahj) -
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/17/21 09:31 PM
"Venturing outside your chosen genre is sometimes risky" yes it is but BiaB makes it so tempting to do!

Smooth jazz at its finest. Great sound and groove you have going on in this one.

Two thumbs up

PS - that piano player can jam with me anytime he wants to jam.
Posted By: firesong Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear 'firesong'...

The greatest thing about 'stretching out' can best be summed-up in this saying: "Don't be afraid to go out on a limb -- it's where all the fruit is!"

You got a bluesy, mellow-toned, yet crackling attack tone out of Dwight Sill's electric jazz guitar solo, a sublimely mood-enhancing comping track with Darin Favorite's rhythm electric guitar combined with Jason Roller's acoustic guitar accompaniment, all of which were rhythmically and melodically supported by your excellent chording on the piano.

I would have listened to this composition if it had been titled 'Sweet Spirit', although your composition has just enough of a minor key feel to it to cause me to add '& sad' after the word 'sweet', ha, ha laugh !!!

- bluage (blu-ahj) -

Bluage...we have a plaque that sits by our couch that says' "Don't be afraid to go out on a limb -- it's where all the fruit is!"...I guess you're the guy who would have listened to it no matter what the title was...thanks
Posted By: firesong Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 12:17 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
[quote=chulaivet1966]Howdy firesong....

I truly chuckled at a phrase on your link:
"An instrumental originally entitled "Sweet Spirit" but I figured no one would listen to it with that title so..."

You were correct....I would have passed it by with that title.
Of course, that's means absolutely nothing but I found it humorous enough to want to comment on. smile

I knew I'd get at least one person to listen who otherwise would have passed it by...thanks for being that guy...I appreciate it
Posted By: firesong Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
"Venturing outside your chosen genre is sometimes risky" yes it is but BiaB makes it so tempting to do!

Smooth jazz at its finest. Great sound and groove you have going on in this one.

Two thumbs up

Thanks for listening and liking what you heard...I'm glad those guitar guys showed up today otherwise the piano player would not have posted this!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 05:11 AM
Hi firesong,

when I read that hilarious song title I was immediately reminded on a line of the Tom Lehrer song from 1953 'I Wanna Go Back To Dixue" that I had totally misheard - I understood '... where the jazz men and the tear gas smell just fine.' Later I learned that he sang ... where the jasmine and the tear gas smell just fine.' cool

Well, firesong, your tune really smells like very fine jazz - enjoyed the listen a lot. Sounds technically great, too.

Really well-done!

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: rayc Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 05:26 AM
The thing I like most about this is the piano,drums and bass.
yes, the splendid lead guitar adds filigree all over but I think the piece would stand up as a trio with a vocal perhaps.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 07:36 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
I knew I'd get at least one person to listen who otherwise would have passed it by...thanks for being that guy...I appreciate it

Ha....you're quite welcome.

It's a very cool composition and I'd listen again.
That tells a lot about how much I like a song/composition.

Have a great day....
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 08:38 AM
Very smooth, very cool, very relaxing. The kind of music I like playing when I'm working on graphics. smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 10:36 AM
Clean, sweet mix, right from the first note.

Hadn't expected a largely guitar instrumental, but also, I'm not the slightest bit disappointed.

Everything fits into place nicely.
Posted By: firesong Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging remarks...glad you all enjoyed the piece...I've had the chord structure around for quite awhile...if fact it made me curious as to whether I had ever written any lyrics to it...so I looked through the piles and piles of scrap paper I write on and found the beginnings of a lyric sheet for this piece...in the beginning I called the song "Dreamweaver" which I actually like better than "Sweet Spirit" and "The Smell of Jazzman"...long story short, I may revisit writing some lyrics to this song...thanks again...Dan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/18/21 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Two thumbs up

Agree with all that!! Well done!! You fit right in there with the boys in the box! I have played with smooth jazz in BIAB because the tracks are sooooo darn gooooooood!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: firesong Re: The Smell of Jazzman - 06/19/21 01:10 AM
Thanks Greg...it's really hard to mess BiaB up...and with a jazz piece the improv of the program plays right into it's wheelhouse...thanks for the comments...Dan
© PG Music Forums