PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong Dream Weaver (aka The Smell of Jazz Man) - 06/26/21 03:33 PM
Hey everyone...I posted an instrumental a while back and I called it "The Smell Of Jazz Man"...well I found a partial lyric sheet from years ago where I had began a song to that core style and chord structure...It was called "Dream Weaver"...I wrote it for my son to sing but that hasn't happened so here's my lame vocal demo...I love the combo of inspirational/smooth jazz (I think I just invented a genre)...anyway, I hope you like it...the vocals suck...this is a younger man's song but the track is cool thanks to BiaB.

Dream Weaver
https://soundclick.com/r/s8hwxl

BiaB stuff:
TONY_FD.STY Laid-Back Medium Rock
366 Bass
365 Acoustic Guitar
508 Electric Guitar
1237 Electric Guitar

Piano, drums and choir from Yamaha Genos
Posted By: MarioD Re: Dream Weaver (aka The Smell of Jazz Man) - 06/26/21 05:07 PM
The vocals do not suck and actually they are really good!

Nice backing tracks that fit perfectly with the vocals.

But IMHO the vocals should be a tad louder. In spots they are very hard to hear. This is just my opinion and others may or may not agree.

Great song.
Posted By: rayc Re: Dream Weaver (aka The Smell of Jazz Man) - 06/26/21 09:02 PM
It does take the instrumental version to a new level.
Thanks Mario for the encouragement...my opinion of of the vocals probably are the reason they are not louder...glad you enjoyed...Dan
rayc...I appreciate you saying that...I tried not to be too wordy cause I wanted mostly that great jazz track to come through and Dwight to have most of the time to kill it with the guitar...thanks again...Dan
Hi Dan,

I fully agree with MarioD: The vocals don't suck at all - you really shouldn't be that coy about them.

A very nice song, very well-arranged and produced - enjoyed the listen a lot.

Take care,

Stefan
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Dan,

I fully agree with MarioD: The vocals don't suck at all - you really shouldn't be that coy about them.

A very nice song, very well-arranged and produced - enjoyed the listen a lot.

Take care,

Stefan

Stefan...thanks for your thoughts...not trying to be coy but I recorded this song in a key that I couldn't sing it in and I was too vested to start over at the time...so you get the verses in an octave melody...one is too low and one is too high..it was a compromise that together did sound better than either one alone...but IMO "sucked" (a relative term for I don't like this much)...however, for you guys that think it's OK, I really appreciate it...I'm gonna work on it sometime...I do really appreciate your opinion...thanks again...Dan
Smooth and dreamy but not crossing into the ethereal land.

FWIW, we see no need to bring up the vocal gain ... perhaps a little eq manipulation to help it "cut" a bit.

So as you mentioned the guys liked it -- we'll add another guy and a gal smile to that!

J&B
Hey I liked this! Yes, turn up the vocals.

Ok, before I do my joke, first let me say I go to church and have played in many P&W bands, so I feel I can do this.

When I saw the "Smell of Jazzman" I was like, whoah, I remember that guy, from my first band in college.

Then I thought. He's not talking about that Dude.

I go on and on and on here. But am I safe? Does anyone but me here read the Babylon Bee? Should I keep going....???

smile
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Smooth and dreamy but not crossing into the ethereal land.

FWIW, we see no need to bring up the vocal gain ... perhaps a little eq manipulation to help it "cut" a bit.

So as you mentioned the guys liked it -- we'll add another guy and a gal smile to that!

J&B

Janice and Bud...thanks so much for your comments...I think the volume is fine for the vocals but I think I might EQ the piano and drum track to make some room for the vox...clean out a frequency or two for space as per your thoughts...thanks...Dan
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey I liked this! Yes, turn up the vocals.

Ok, before I do my joke, first let me say I go to church and have played in many P&W bands, so I feel I can do this.

When I saw the "Smell of Jazzman" I was like, whoah, I remember that guy, from my first band in college.

Then I thought. He's not talking about that Dude.

I go on and on and on here. But am I safe? Does anyone but me here read the Babylon Bee? Should I keep going....???

smile

David...thanks for the comments (I think?)...I know "the Bee"...love it...Dan
Posted By: edshaw Re: Dream Weaver (aka The Smell of Jazz Man) - 06/30/21 03:45 PM
I found it a strong concept and wonderful execution, as with most of what I've heard from your corner, Dan.
Originally Posted By: edshaw
I found it a strong concept and wonderful execution, as with most of what I've heard from your corner, Dan.

Thanks Ed...I appreciate that so much...Dan
© PG Music Forums