PG Music Home
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm The Skies Burn - 06/28/21 09:20 PM
The Skies Burn

I wrote this song over a year ago...had my daughter in mind. I went through a couple different keys and instrumentation until I came up with this.

Band:
RT2336 Viola
RT3733 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm GrungeRockArp
RT691 Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright
RT2585 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PunkHeldPlus
RT3458 Bass, Electric, AmericanaPop
Some guitar loops
Drums are loops from DOD Indie Pop

What will I leave you, my child
I’ve struggled for my life
I will leave you my faith and prayers

The skies burn
The waters rise
Can no one discern
The deceiver is wearing no disguise

What can I give you, my child
You always have my heart
I can give you my memories

The skies burn
The waters rise
Can no one discern

What have I taught you, my child
From watching what I do
Clothe, feed, and love all those who need

The skies burn
The waters rise
Can no one discern

What can I leave you, my child?
Posted By: Will Josef Re: The Skies Burn - 06/28/21 09:44 PM
Very good composition and mix and excellent choice of instruments. It all fits very well together.

The lyrics are great and hit that sweet spot between being sad or optimistic... you have such a great talent for doing this!

Will
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Skies Burn - 06/28/21 09:51 PM
Scott

Lovely work, enjoyed the production.

Excellent vocal and nice choice of the viola, added even more gravity to the song.

Liked the lyric, powerful.

Great song.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Skies Burn - 06/28/21 10:56 PM
Loved this song. Excellent lyric. As always just an excellent vocal. Acoustic framed the vocal perfectly. Well done
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 12:15 AM
I agree with the others posters - nice arrangement, and the viola really works well here.

Nice harmonies at the end!
Posted By: jamestoffee Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 12:34 AM
Nice contrast between the vs and ch. Great vocal delivery and balance on the arrangement.

Thanks for sharing.

James
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 05:07 AM
Hi Scott,

this is a really, really good one!!!.

A great and meaningful write, a beautiful composition (oh, love that exciting contrast between the verses and the choruses, a tasteful backing track, ace vocals and a clear mix.

Love it !

Stay safe,

Stefan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 06:15 AM
Really good, Scott!

Excellent vocal throughout. Love the chorus, very strong, also the viola really works.

One of your best, enjoyed!
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 06:39 AM
Scott,

This is excellent - mysterious and haunting...

Love the track mix and your vocal. A great recorded piece of music.

Loved it.

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 09:47 AM
Beautiful message to your daughter, Ezekiel. Heck, it's the perfect message for each generation to pass to the next. Great dynamics in the song, too. You already know I believe your voice can do no wrong, and I'm right.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: The Skies Burn - 06/29/21 11:46 PM
Hi Scott. A strong write and really well sung, as usual. Excellent instrumental choices. Hard not to be concerned for the next generation, but I guess every generation feels that way.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Skies Burn - 06/30/21 04:33 PM
Scott,

Nice write. The whole thing has a terrific indie-theatre-Rock feel.

Excellent vocals and harmonies.

Outstanding BAND! And an excellent mix.

Good job all around.

fj
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Skies Burn - 06/30/21 07:53 PM
Will, Peter, Scott, David C., James, Stefan, Dave, Bob, Mary, Leon, and Floyd:

Thank you for listening to my track and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it muchly much! grin
Posted By: bluage Re: The Skies Burn - 07/01/21 12:19 AM
'Ezekiel's Storm'...

To my senses, your song seems to exist on two levels of feelings: the desire to gift a child with something from that part of the giver's existence that is (hopefully) eternal and useful. And then, there seems to me to be an expression of doubt, or insecurity, perhaps, and about what I am not sure. Nonetheless, the tension between the two levels of feeling is sharp, vivid, like light and darkness. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself in a way that you could appreciate, but I only want to convey my perception of a duality in your song that is...well, as haunting as it is reassuring. Your Real Track and third-party instruments meld perfectly into a musical whole that supports the lyrical conflict I perceived. The vocal harmony was mixed into the track so quietly that I was startled when I noticed it!

It's a production with a distinctive musical personality and an intriguing subtext. As Will Josef wrote in his comment, "The lyrics are great and hit that sweet spot between being sad or optimistic..."

Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Skies Burn - 07/01/21 08:03 PM
Bluage,

Thanks for your analysis. I do appreciate it. You're on the right track.

Scott
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Skies Burn - 07/01/21 09:21 PM
I really like the dynamics in this one, very well done.

Super vocal and lyrics with great instrumentation. The mix is spot on.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Skies Burn - 07/02/21 06:46 AM
Hi Ezekiel,

Another beautiful song from your hand. I enjoyed it very much!
The melody is so nice and the way you sing this is very sensitive.

In all the sensitive words you used, I had to think about that one line the most: "Can no one discern the deceiver is wearing no disguise".
A beautiful sentence, with a lot of perspective in it. Like that!
I don't know if your daugter understands all of the lyrics (I presume she is still very young), but this sentence is very important to understand, I think.

But the nicest thing is that this song is about you.

Hans
Posted By: rayc Re: The Skies Burn - 07/02/21 08:42 AM
A very sombre song - the world makes forward tinking almost painful at present.
Your vocal is really good...rich and well performed.
The punk held chord RealTrack isn't a great fit - (it has the aggression and sustain but it does sound like it's played through a pipe...it's not your mixing or production - I've tried to use it previously and just couldn't get it to fit), but it holds the place well enough.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The Skies Burn - 07/03/21 10:52 AM
Really nice anthemic rock vibe. That three-line verse is quirky but serves to push this forward. The lyrics are applicable to many of us and the delivery is earnest and heartfelt. I like the turn with the cello to cool things off a bit and reprised at the end. A reflective and uplifting work all round.
Posted By: Derochette Re: The Skies Burn - 07/03/21 04:17 PM
Hi Ezekiel's Storm,

Nice use of realtracks. It's very pleasant, the lyrics sensitive. Your voice is impeccable. Everything is perfect. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Skies Burn - 07/03/21 05:54 PM
“What have I taught you, my child
From watching what I do
Clothe, feed, and love all those who need”

A lovely sentiment indeed.

Nice vocals, the aforementioned lyric, arrangement, track choice and mix. It’s all there.

And as Janice said early on, “great dynamics!”

Your daughter inspired you and you created a wonderful message for her.

Nice!!!

J&B
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Skies Burn - 07/04/21 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I really like the dynamics in this one, very well done.

Super vocal and lyrics with great instrumentation. The mix is spot on.

Two thumbs up.

Thanks so much, Mario.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ezekiel,

Another beautiful song from your hand. I enjoyed it very much!
The melody is so nice and the way you sing this is very sensitive.

In all the sensitive words you used, I had to think about that one line the most: "Can no one discern the deceiver is wearing no disguise".
A beautiful sentence, with a lot of perspective in it. Like that!
I don't know if your daugter understands all of the lyrics (I presume she is still very young), but this sentence is very important to understand, I think.

But the nicest thing is that this song is about you.

Hans

Hans, thank you. My daughter is 15. When I wrote this last year, she was helping me pick out the instrumentation, which had included a piano, so I have a recorded version of that. But I changed my mind and eventually chose the current line up, which she likes a lot, especially the punk guitar held chords.

Originally Posted By: rayc
A very sombre song - the world makes forward tinking almost painful at present.
Your vocal is really good...rich and well performed.
The punk held chord RealTrack isn't a great fit - (it has the aggression and sustain but it does sound like it's played through a pipe...it's not your mixing or production - I've tried to use it previously and just couldn't get it to fit), but it holds the place well enough.

Ray, thanks for the comment about the vocal. I was going to scrap it and re-record it but decided I just didn't have the time.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: The Skies Burn - 07/08/21 11:17 AM
Nice work. I don't know how I missed this on my last pass through.

Great lyrics, very poetic. Cool message.

Good use of the band too!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Skies Burn - 07/08/21 01:13 PM
Yep... got to echo the others... good mix.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Skies Burn - 07/12/21 10:42 PM
Scott,
Cool style fusion. Excellent and relevant subject. You got lucky with that viola, fits so perfectly. Good vocals. Some instruments have very different dynamic qualities, but together they actually sound very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Skies Burn - 07/13/21 02:01 AM
Scott, your vocals are so good here! The harmonies are sweet also! I always enjoy your tunes! It's obvious that have put a lot of love and care into your them! Love that viola solo! Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums