PG Music Home
Posted By: NigelSpiers Doctor Jazz - 06/29/21 12:04 AM
Doctor Jazz

Hi Folks,

I've recently been reviewing songs that are about to become in the Public Domain i.e. 95 years old or older. I came across "Doctor Jazz" - one of my favourite songs written by King Oliver and Walter Melrose and first recorded by Jelly Roll Morton. He (Ferdinand Joseph LaMothe) was a an American ragtime and jazz pianist, bandleader, and composer. He claimed to have invented Jazz in 1902 which has lead to a lot of discussion since his death in 1941 at the tender age of just 51. Regardless he was a genius on the piano and also wrote some wonderful songs.

My version is in a Western Swing feel which may make him roll over in his grave. However it was a genre that was in it's hey day in the 20's and 30's and I suspect Jelly Roll would have loved it.

A quiz question - why did he call himself "Jelly Roll"?

Vocals - Nigel Spiers
All instruments including the soloists are Band In A Box Western Swing Real Tracks by PGMusic.
Posted By: bluage Re: Doctor Jazz - 06/29/21 01:35 AM
Hello, again, Mr. Spiers...

Based on my memories of the lyrics to 'vulgar' blues songs I've listened to over the years, the term 'jelly roll' is/was slang for female genitalia.

Your Western swing version of 'Doctor Jazz' is a hoot, brother! I treasure the memory of that day in my youth when I discovered Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys. Swing, is swing, period, no matter how that term is applied by musicians on a regional basis.

You sang the lyrics with a jazzman's finesse, right down to the gutsy growl in your voice as you sang the words 'Doctor Jazz' in the last verse.

I liked the extended intro as it is typical of songs that are written to get folks on the dance floor before they ever hear a lyric.

You're quite an entertainer, Mr. Spiers smile!

Posted By: Crossroads Re: Doctor Jazz - 06/29/21 05:23 AM
Hi Nigel,

my first thought was,'Wow, it's unbelievable what BIAB can do for you if you know how to use it. And, man, you surely do know.

Most likely I'm the only one who didn't know that tune (and I'm not familiart with the whole genre, I must confess), but it got me right from the start.

Nigel, I have to say it again: Love your vocals - so damn cool...

Enjoyed the thing A LOT !!!!

Cheers,

Stefan

BTW: The Urban Dictionary confirms Loren's lexical expertise cool
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Doctor Jazz - 06/30/21 12:04 AM
The western swing interpretation works a treat, Nigel. Mighty fine.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 06/30/21 12:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 06/30/21 09:36 PM
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes - I know what you mean - sometimes a song, BIAB Style and Real Tracks all come together and you think that Style was made for that song.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Doctor Jazz - 06/30/21 10:11 PM
This was a really creative spin, and you can tell that you had a lot of fun making it! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/02/21 02:25 PM
Hi Bluage,

Thanks for all your thoughts and great to hear from another Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys fan.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/03/21 03:23 PM
Hi Nigel great job on the using biab and great vocal!!! love it eric
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/06/21 12:22 AM
Hi Ember,

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/08/21 09:54 AM
The doctor is in. Excellent choice of PD material, and a very interesting take on the classic. You're right about the rolling over the grave, but he sure would recognize the huge amount of talent poured into your version, Nigel. Excellent vocal and what a great band choice. Really enjoyed it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/08/21 08:35 PM
Nigel I loved this one. A great toe tapper with and outstanding vocal. Super backing tracks and the mix was spot on. The intro and ending had me thinking Django on an electric guitar!

This is top shelf all the way!
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/09/21 05:13 PM
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your generous comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/10/21 10:26 AM
Nigel,

Nice use of the BIAB Western Swing tracks. Good mix. Vocal is well sung, nicely recorded and processed.

fj
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/10/21 11:11 AM
Hi Nigel,

Although it's not exactly my kin of music, I did enjoy how you perfomed with the band and especially your vocals. They are very, very good in this genre. Probably in other genres as well, but here they fit like a glove!
And that I enjoyed the most, how you managed to make you become a real 'doctor Jazz'!

There is that other thing you came up with: the quiz about mr. Roll. I leave those women thinks Bluage game with for they are. So for me he was performing a song in the ragtime period. That was some kind of pre rock and roll. So he was his way ahead. I think...

But as I mentioned earlier, I loved the vocals in this very good performed song, oh and the band of course!

Hans
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/11/21 01:00 PM
Nigel,
I think Ferdinand drumming solo with bones on plank of the casket. Very cool interpretation and vocals! Ace arrangement and mix.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/13/21 12:46 AM
Hi Marty,

Thanks for your wonderful comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/13/21 05:55 PM
Hi Nigel, I just love this stuff! You did an excellent job putting this together! The vocal is tops!! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/14/21 12:45 PM
Hi Mario,

Thanks for your generous comments.

Yes Brent Mason is a very fine musician. And he does so many different styles!

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/15/21 09:47 PM
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for your generous thoughts - much appreciated - good to hear from some other Western Swing fans.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/16/21 08:57 PM
Fun song!!! And you put together a great production!!!! Vocals are great, and the production is top shelf!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/18/21 05:29 AM
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your detailed comments - yes as I get older I seem to gravitating more to the Jazzy side of the Blues - rather than the Rocky side.

Also PG Music and BIAB offer so much inspiration for us Jazz fans.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/18/21 11:04 PM
Hi Misha,

Thanks for your comments - you caught me off-guard with the reference to Ferdinand - I keep forgetting Jelly Roll's real name.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Doctor Jazz - 07/20/21 01:23 PM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your positive thoughts.

Best Regards
Nigel
© PG Music Forums