PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Reaching for the Clouds - 07/02/21 03:51 PM
Reaching for the Clouds

This is my second attempt at a new age orchestral piece so be sure to let me know how I did, both good and bad.

BiaB Style - Space 1 - Spacious Soundtrack Sty

I deleted the drums and guitar tracks.

Note all instruments labeled KH are individual instruments from Kontakt - Kurt Hunter's Virtuoso orchestra software.

Bass - KH - bass
Cellos-Bass track up one octave - KH - cellos
Piano - Symthmaster - Pad - Distant Galaxy
Strings - 2058:strings, Rhythm Celtic Air EV 85 - KH - strings
melody- 2065:Piano, Rhythm New Age Alberti Pretty EV 100 - Waves Grand Rhapsody Piano

I am playing the following via my MIDI keyboard controller:
Lead violins, lead violas, Oboe, Bassoon, French Horn, and Trombone, all from KH.

Timpani and Cymbals from Kontakt.

Harp from Kontakt - Kurt Hunter's Diamond Orchestra.

All but the bass and cellos have reverb added, Breverb - preset - Cathedral

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/02/21 06:11 PM
Mario, this is beautiful! Bud and I have been watching lots of nature and travel shows lately and this would be a perfect soundtrack for one on National Parks. As the song was playing I was narrating the views for Bud and it was truly magnificent when we got to the crescendo so I figured that was when we got to El Capitan at Yosemite. Then we went along to glorious waterfalls, stunning rivers and ended with the deer cavorting in the meadow. smile

Janice

How to add to that?

Bud
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/02/21 08:00 PM
Mario.
i echo everything that J and B said.
kudos to you. very peacefull relaxing sounds.
that KH lib has wow sounds.
best
OM
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/02/21 08:40 PM
Hi Mario,

I'm not really qualified to comment in detail re this genre.

However I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your creation - lots of dynamics to keep me interested throughout.

Excellent work.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/02/21 09:15 PM
Nicely interwoven instruments. The horns and timpani added a bit a drama at about 2:34 which was soothed by the oboe a minute later. However, the ending didn't convey any great sense of having resolved anything but perhaps that's the result of never being able to actually grasp hold of a cloud. wink
Overall, a very pleasant listening experience.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/02/21 09:17 PM
Mario,

This is incredible. Should be in a soundtrack. Reminds me of Sibelius.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/03/21 06:46 AM
Mario,

this is really amazing ! I had to close my eyes and were immediately taken away - my thoughts went astray. Guess that's what 'cinematic' is supposed to do, right?

Just wonderful!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/03/21 09:30 AM
This is an amazing performance Mario. You're at the top of your game. Beautiful song and I enjoyed my listen.

Regardless of the targeted genre, this piece is a huge success in any genre.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/03/21 02:19 PM
Mario,

A beautiful piece.

Good mix.

Well done.

fj
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/03/21 02:49 PM
Hi Mario wow great peace of music yep j&b nail it awesome sound track the best yet sir thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: Derochette Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/03/21 04:05 PM
Hi Mario,

Very nice composition that you deposit. It's sweet and well thought out. The orchestration is very pleasant. The harmony is perfect. Very pleasant instrumental atmosphere. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/04/21 12:50 AM
Very nice. Mellow yet epic Good work.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Mario, this is beautiful! Bud and I have been watching lots of nature and travel shows lately and this would be a perfect soundtrack for one on National Parks. As the song was playing I was narrating the views for Bud and it was truly magnificent when we got to the crescendo so I figured that was when we got to El Capitan at Yosemite. Then we went along to glorious waterfalls, stunning rivers and ended with the deer cavorting in the meadow. smile

Janice

How to add to that?

Bud

Thanx so much for the very kind review! Maybe Bud should make a video, add this song, and post it on youtube?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Mario.
i echo everything that J and B said.
kudos to you. very peacefull relaxing sounds.
that KH lib has wow sounds.
best
OM

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. This "also old muso" appreciated it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Mario,

I'm not really qualified to comment in detail re this genre.

However I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your creation - lots of dynamics to keep me interested throughout.

Excellent work.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel thanx for taking the time to listen and comment. I'm glad you liked this even though it is not your genre.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Nicely interwoven instruments. The horns and timpani added a bit a drama at about 2:34 which was soothed by the oboe a minute later. However, the ending didn't convey any great sense of having resolved anything but perhaps that's the result of never being able to actually grasp hold of a cloud. wink
Overall, a very pleasant listening experience.

Good point as I didn't think about the ending in that sense. Good information so thank you for that and for commenting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:23 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Mario,

This is incredible. Should be in a soundtrack. Reminds me of Sibelius.

Regards,

Bob

Thanx so much Bob.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Mario,

this is really amazing ! I had to close my eyes and were immediately taken away - my thoughts went astray. Guess that's what 'cinematic' is supposed to do, right?

Just wonderful!

Take care,

Stefan

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is an amazing performance Mario. You're at the top of your game. Beautiful song and I enjoyed my listen.

Regardless of the targeted genre, this piece is a huge success in any genre.

Charlie

Thanx so much Charlie but I'm just an inexperienced musician when it comes to this genre. This guitar hacker has a lot to learn.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:26 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

A beautiful piece.

Good mix.

Well done.

fj

Thanx so much Floyd.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Mario wow great peace of music yep j&b nail it awesome sound track the best yet sir thanks for sharing Eric

Thanx Eric for the wonderful review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Mario,

Very nice composition that you deposit. It's sweet and well thought out. The orchestration is very pleasant. The harmony is perfect. Very pleasant instrumental atmosphere. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanx for noticing the harmonies. This was my first attempt at a song like this so I am very pleased that you like it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/06/21 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very nice. Mellow yet epic Good work.

Thanx!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/07/21 11:07 AM
Hi Mario

Hat off! What a nice song you made. You raised your bar with this one.
And I don't agree with your own line: "You try to reach for the clouds but you never get there".
I think you just did! Well... first stage of course! Otherwise you have nomore challenge for something even greater than this one (...)

I heard your progress in your earlier songs and this one seems to be the cherry on the cake. You made it so easy to see images of nature and animals or other beautiful things before your eyes.
How did you get the idea for it?

Needless to say I enjoyed listening to it,
Hans
Posted By: Scott C Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/07/21 09:16 PM
Very cool Mario. Love the flourish in the background. Lovely soundscape and excellent mix. Well done
Posted By: dcuny Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 05:30 AM
Nice! Cool instrumentation, love the stereo spread. And (up to the end) it had the feeling of going somewhere.

Just wish there had been a bit more of an ending... laugh
Posted By: rsdean Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 06:45 AM
Mario,

Love the dramatic feel of this one. It has a wide open and ethereal sound that would make a great movie track.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 08:50 AM
Very creative artistry, Mario. You use so many different brushes and each with the perfect stroke. So many colors in this musical tapestry. Man, what a maestro. So much emotion. Well composed and well played. Oh, you did good!
Posted By: rayc Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 06:52 PM
This should be an advertising/demonstration piece for your Controller keyboard manufacturer.
Rich.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Mario

Hat off! What a nice song you made. You raised your bar with this one.
And I don't agree with your own line: "You try to reach for the clouds but you never get there".
I think you just did! Well... first stage of course! Otherwise you have nomore challenge for something even greater than this one (...)

I heard your progress in your earlier songs and this one seems to be the cherry on the cake. You made it so easy to see images of nature and animals or other beautiful things before your eyes.
How did you get the idea for it?

Needless to say I enjoyed listening to it,
Hans

Thanx so much Hans for this wonderful review! I greatly appreciated it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool Mario. Love the flourish in the background. Lovely soundscape and excellent mix. Well done

Thanx so much Scott.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice! Cool instrumentation, love the stereo spread. And (up to the end) it had the feeling of going somewhere.

Just wish there had been a bit more of an ending... laugh

I left the ending like that as one can not reach and touch the clouds, but maybe I should have put a better ending on this. Thanx for pointing that out to me.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Mario,

Love the dramatic feel of this one. It has a wide open and ethereal sound that would make a great movie track.

Excellent!

Bob

Thanx Bob for this great review. I appreciate your remarks.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Very creative artistry, Mario. You use so many different brushes and each with the perfect stroke. So many colors in this musical tapestry. Man, what a maestro. So much emotion. Well composed and well played. Oh, you did good!

Thank you for listening and these wonderful comments. I am glad that you liked this.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/08/21 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This should be an advertising/demonstration piece for your Controller keyboard manufacturer.
Rich.

Thanx Rich but there a millions of better keyboardists out there; I am just a keyboard hacker.

Thanx for those wonderful comments.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/09/21 01:16 PM
Stunningly good Mario! Well spaced out in the stereo field and there is nothing that is distracting in any way! I love it, it's a beautiful piece!! Thanks, T
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/09/21 02:43 PM
Mario,
Very pretty composition. Lots of very interesting motion going on. Your playing is fantastic on this one. I listened and tried to tune my "critical" ear, but simply could not find any soars. Listens very well. KH stuff kicks some serious #ss. Never heard of the brand. Very well articulated sound.

P.S. Gave a listen to my musical 10 y.o., He approves smile

Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/09/21 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Stunningly good Mario! Well spaced out in the stereo field and there is nothing that is distracting in any way! I love it, it's a beautiful piece!! Thanks, T

Thanx so much Torrey for these wonderful comments. I appreciated them.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reaching for the Clouds - 07/09/21 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
Very pretty composition. Lots of very interesting motion going on. Your playing is fantastic on this one. I listened and tried to tune my "critical" ear, but simply could not find any soars. Listens very well. KH stuff kicks some serious #ss. Never heard of the brand. Very well articulated sound.

P.S. Gave a listen to my musical 10 y.o., He approves smile

Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Misha thanx so much for this great review. Yes KH has some good programs; I have a number of them and they all sound great. Even the dated Diamond Orchestra has some super patches.

PS - Tell your musical 10 y.o. that I said thanx to him also.
© PG Music Forums