PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 02:32 AM
https://soundcloud.com/torrey-bliss/hideaway

This is the first song I've had the opportunity to spend some time on in quite a while! It originally was part of a song I posted a couple years back and included an uptempo rock section. I always felt though that the slower section of the song needed to be developed and presented in a Country/Pop/Rock style. On the original song David Snyder contributed some lyrical help and I want to recognize him for that even though none of that content is presented here. I'm taking a bold step trying to do something with more of a Country flavor considering all the pro's that contribute here like Floyd, J&B etc that excel in that genre.
(EDIT: A few folks have stated that they feel that this song doesn't fall in the Country/Rock category but I listed it as such because of the number of Country related realtracks used and I feel the vocals especially in the verses definitely lean more toward a country sound than rock. I am going to take Floyd's suggestion though and re-classify it on Soundcloud as Singer/Songwriter Pop/Rock).
I have re-written and re-recorded the whole thing and hopefully somebody likes it! It's about the struggle a lot of folks face trying to hold it all together even when things aren't turning out in life like they had dreamed they would.

BIAB
Bass - 700 Pop Half Notes Push
Cello - 1856 Background Pop Country
Drums - Country Pop Ballad
Guitar - 1814 Fingerpicking Celtic Air
Guitar - 2916 Country Folk 8th's Brent
Piano - 2825 Country Pop Mike
Pedal Steel - 2667 Dreamy Single Note

Me
Vocals
Electric Slide Guitar (I did my best but not my strong suit)
Electric Guitar Solo
Piano

HIDEAWAY
Words and music by
Torrey Bliss ©2021

You were young and had so many dreams
To end up in a better place
Broken promises just made you weep
It’s sad how they all drifted away
You remember days so full of life
And now survive from day to day
While being pulled at from every side
You’re wishing that someone could ease your pain
‘Cause you’re drifting away more and more each day
You feel there’s only one thing left to do

You just want to go and hideaway
You’re so weary from the struggles of this life
Don’t they know there’s nothing left to give
Don’t they know how hard you’ve tried
If you could just find a way to your secret hideaway

Now the only time you find real peace
Is when you’re dreaming in the night
It’s your escape from life’s realities
It’s when you’re feeling happy and alive
You wish your dreams could go on
And on and on and on
But they always end and then the morning comes
Oh it will come

Chorus

You wake up to the morning sun
And hope your dreams will come to life
You look up to the only One
Who’ll help you give it one more try

Posted By: Ghostgum Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 02:49 AM
Excellent. Lyrics that plumb the depths of human pain, yet provide that much-needed uplift in the final lines.
Strong vocal and great harmonies. Interesting chord progression and masterly lead guitar provides and excellent finish. Overall sound reminds me somewhat of the Eagles (that's intended to be compliment, not a criticism!).
Posted By: rayc Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 03:46 AM
Torrey,
a lush, wonderful TB sounding song...you always sound like you and that's a wonderful sound.
This song has the rich textures of arrangement I always enjoy with your songs.
There're some Beatle touches, even more Harrisonness and it all makes the Torrey Bliss sound.
The cello on the end is a lovely touch.
Love it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 08:22 AM
So good!

Excellent song, excellent performance (man, that vocal!), and great, pro sounding mix.

Your slide playing sounds fine to me BTW.

Really good, Torrey, and great to see you back here! You have been missed.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 02:10 PM
Torrey,

Well written. Beautiful melody.

Like Ray said - sounds like Torrey to me. Those ever-present influences. Some Harrison-ness (to steal Ray's word) and that Rundgren flavoring... I think I'd label it Singer-Songwriter/Pop/Rock...

Excellent vocals. Super production (as always). Solid mix.

A great listen. Much enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 02:16 PM
Hi Torrey this is excellent in so many ways yes some touches of the Beatles and humble pie there early stuff! the vocals are awesome and the lyrics as well always love your songs the finish product is always done professionally great peace of music thanks Eric
Posted By: PeterF Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 06:43 PM
Torry

A wonderful pro sounding song. Excellent structure, great vocals and some lovely musical flourishes.
Nicely channeled Harrison like slide and a pretty solo to follow.

Really well done in all departments.

Peter
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/13/21 10:24 PM
Torrey,
Fantastic tune! VERY well made from start to finish. Loved solo guitar, crazy good playing. Vocals A+. Many interesting lines and hooks to stay focused. You are a true one man band. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Sundance Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/14/21 02:22 AM
Torrey,
I can hear some similarities to Restless Heart in lead vocal timbre, double and slide guitars as found on Back To The Heartbreak Kid and I'll Still Be Loving You.

Still as others already said it's you which is great but I wouldn't classify it country. Josie
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/14/21 04:18 AM
Hi Torrey,

I agree with all above reviewers - this is a n excellent piece of music which held my attention to the end.

I also agree with them - this is the most unlike "Country/Rock" song I've ever heard. Probably worth putting in another category in SoundCloud.

Yes - definite shades of The Beatles in the harmony parts - and that is a very good thing indeed!

Vocals - suit the song well. I would like to hear more of your natural voice with less high frequencies added.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/14/21 06:55 AM
Thanks so much Ghostgum for the kind words! I definitely take the Eagles comment as a compliment! T
Posted By: rsdean Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/14/21 07:23 AM
Torrey,

This is excellent. Everything about this song is top notch.

To me it has a great Jeff Lynne production feel. I absolutely enjoyed this.

A new favorite for me.

Bob
Posted By: Crossroads Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/15/21 04:40 AM
Torrey, first of all: You're an ingenious song-writer. Okay, I already knew that, but with this song you proved it once again: just awesome.

And brilliantly sung (solo vox and BGV) - some parts could have been on Sergeant Pepper. Your soloing is so tasteful and the sound of the whole thing is absolutely radio quality (and I definitely don't mean AM smile )

For more than 50 years Freddy King's Hideaway (esp. in the version of Eric Clapton with John Mayall's Blues Breakers) was myfavorite Hideaway (terewere quite a few others - remember Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich- arg?), but now I'm no longer sure if ut still is - your song is really something special!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/15/21 07:09 AM
Hi Torrey,

This is what I like(d) in your songs; A smooth sounding Pop/Rock song and a very clever composition with good lyrics!
I can only agree with all the previous compliments on your song. It's just a good song.
But to me it is definitly no country song. and I am glad too you removed the uptempo in a previous version.

Needless to say I enjoyed it,
Hans
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/15/21 10:51 AM
Thoroughly engaging, Torrey. Love those harmonies. I agree with Bob Dean that Jeff Lynn would be proud to call this his. Excellent guitar solo. Country, pop or any category imagined, this song would chart high.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/15/21 01:38 PM
Thanks so much Ray! While I still contend that the vocals lean more toward a Country sound I admit I was going for a Harrison sound with those slide parts (My feeble attempt at it anyway. George Harrisons slide playing had so much feeling and soul to it that very few can get that sound. He was a master at it!) I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/16/21 08:31 AM
Thanks Dave for the kind words! Since your comments were posted, I went back and re-recorded the slide parts and made them sound a little better and replaced the file on Soundcloud. T
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/16/21 09:07 PM
Not sure how I'd classify it, except REALLY, REALLY good!!!! There is definitely a Beatles vibe in here. The melody is to die for.......perfect!!! You always have such creative progressions which new music hardly ever has.....I LOVE IT!!! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/17/21 09:15 AM
Excellent song, write, arrangement and production. Loved it from start to finish.

Charlie
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/18/21 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Torrey,

Well written. Beautiful melody.

Like Ray said - sounds like Torrey to me. Those ever-present influences. Some Harrison-ness (to steal Ray's word) and that Rundgren flavoring... I think I'd label it Singer-Songwriter/Pop/Rock...

Excellent vocals. Super production (as always). Solid mix.

A great listen. Much enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for all that Floyd! And also for the suggestion to change genre label for Soundcloud which I did! T
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/18/21 05:29 PM
Country music has gone through so many iterations over the last couple of decades that we are clueless as to what it actually is smile

We think floyd's suggestion of singer/songwriter perfectly fits the bill...with the signature Torrey Beatle hints.

Fine vocals and, hey, no problem with that slide! All of your instrumental performances are "hittin' the note!" as Gregg used to say.

Nice write and you always serve it up with a topnotch melody.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:26 AM
Thanks Eric! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:26 AM
Thanks Peter for the kind words! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:27 AM
Thanks Misha for taking the time to listen and comment! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:28 AM
Thanks Josie! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:31 AM
Thanks Nigel! I tried the mix with a less processed vocal but it just sounded too dull to me. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:31 AM
Thanks Bob! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:32 AM
Thanks Stefan! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:33 AM
Thanks Hans for taking time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:34 AM
Thanks Marty! I really appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:35 AM
Thanks Greg for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:36 AM
Thanks Charlie! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 07:37 AM
Thanks J&B! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Leon1 Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/19/21 11:54 PM
Torrey, your songs are always so well written and arranged, your vocals so good, your guitar playing so in the pocket (including some very tasteful slide on this one), it's difficult sometimes not to be just a tad envious of your many talents smile . Great to have you back.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: dani48 Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/20/21 02:39 AM
Hi, Torrey !

This is one of your
finest compositions, at
least of those I´ve heard !
I so love your voice and
your singing in voices !

Take Care !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/20/21 12:17 PM
Thanks Leon! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/20/21 08:12 PM
Whatever genre this is classified as, I like it.

Your vocal has such presence on this track. I wish I could get the same effect.

Guitar sounds good to me! A bit of George Harrison influence in the playing.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/21/21 11:11 PM
Good tune. I hear country and I hear the Beatles. Nice combination. Good lyrics. The production was well done. The band was well rehearsed too.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/22/21 03:04 PM
Thanks Dani! It's great to see you posting again! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/22/21 03:05 PM
Thanks Scott! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/22/21 03:06 PM
Thanks jptjptjpt , I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment! T
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: HIDEAWAY - 07/25/21 09:22 PM
nice interesting changes in this song.
very clever composition.
very interesting guitar effects.
best to you
om