PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD March of the Warlock King - 07/15/21 08:58 PM
March of the Warlock King

Sire, our kingdom is in great danger. The Gweiste kingdom was overthrown by a warlock and now that warlock king along with his wizards, witches that scream in very high pitches, and his army of the dead are marching. We must prepare for war!

Many of my forum friends may not like this one. It is a dark song.

But I think it does show what a little imagination, some decent MIDI sound sources, and BiaB can produce.

BiaB style - Very Slow Trance - Like N
PBM = 65
I deleted the drum track.
Bass - Kontakt - preset - RA Metawave
Piano - Kontakt - preset - Fility - Cruel
Guitar - Kontakt - preset - Analog at Heart
Strings - Kontakt - preset - Aquiver - Digital Winds

I am playing the drums, horns, cymbals,and leads via my keyboard controller.
Drums - Kontakt - Kirt Hunter - Virtuoso - Killer Kettles
French horns, Trombones, Trumpets - Kontakt - Kirt Hunter - Virtuoso
Cymbals - Kontakt - Amadeus
Lead 1 - Synthmaster - preset Vangellis synth horns
Lead 2 - Kontakt - preset Julian Sounds Lost Lore

Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/15/21 09:37 PM
Hi Mario,

This is an inspiring piece of music and perfect for a movie score.
Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/15/21 10:35 PM
The music fits your description very well. C'est tres dramatique! ('scuse my French).
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/16/21 08:08 AM
Mario.
very "cinematique".
kudos to you.
oldmuso
Posted By: rsdean Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/16/21 08:36 AM
Mario,

What an epic sound. Love the dramatic feel - outstanding mix.

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/16/21 09:57 AM
I think it does show what a TON of imagination and the right tools can produce, Mario. Dark is good if for no other reason that to help us appreciate the light. Man, I can imagine this army you describe both in words and sound coming over the crest of the hill overlooking the town and all the townsfolk running and screaming in chaos and fear. Their screams are overshadowed by the war drums. At the very end I'm sure I saw the town's war hero calling his stead and waving his magic sword glowing red overhead.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/16/21 11:55 AM
Mario,

Good "cinematic" piece. I like the "dark" of it.

I found the cymbals a bit annoying - jumping out of the mix like they were in a different space. The rest of the mix is nice, cohesive. (The cymbals got to a better place at the end).

Good title! The music "describes" that perfectly! Big, ominous, foreboding...

Cool.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/18/21 08:07 PM
Cool intro Mario. Loved the instrumentation you used. Drums were excellent Well done
Posted By: PeterF Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/18/21 09:01 PM
Mario

Sounds like you had fun making that one.

Nice big sound and very evocative.

Peter
Posted By: Will Josef Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/18/21 11:10 PM
Wonderful sounding track... you never disappoints with the music you post here. Truly enjoyed it!

Will
Posted By: Pipeline Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
..Sire, our kingdom is in great danger. The Gweiste kingdom was overthrown by a warlock and now that warlock king along with his wizards, witches that scream in very high pitches, and his army of the dead are marching. We must prepare for war!..

You will have a part 2 released soon where the rightful King along with his righteous army returns and slays this wicked warlock along with his wizards and witches.

"Very Slow Trance" that is how it all started.
Posted By: rayc Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 05:22 AM
It's about time, (it's about space...), some game manufacturer signed you.
Posted By: dani48 Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 05:39 AM
Hi, Mario !

This is fantastic !
As the others have pointed out
this is film music and if it is not
you´ll better have the retreat
well prepared in advance ? Why not come over to
Spain to see me in September ?

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 08:33 AM
Dark works for me, Mario wink

Quite the ride, I enjoyed the journey.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:29 PM
Thanx so much Nigel, Ghostgum, oldmuso and Bob for listening and commenting on this piece of music. I'm glad that you found it enjoyable.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
I think it does show what a TON of imagination and the right tools can produce, Mario. Dark is good if for no other reason that to help us appreciate the light. Man, I can imagine this army you describe both in words and sound coming over the crest of the hill overlooking the town and all the townsfolk running and screaming in chaos and fear. Their screams are overshadowed by the war drums. At the very end I'm sure I saw the town's war hero calling his stead and waving his magic sword glowing red overhead.

Marty, your imagined scenes were exactly what I was thinking and hoping others would feel the same so thank you for that.

I have always had a huge imagination. In fact in high school art class I did a paper mache dragon and wrote sci-fi novelettes.

Thanx for the very kind review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

Good "cinematic" piece. I like the "dark" of it.

I found the cymbals a bit annoying - jumping out of the mix like they were in a different space. The rest of the mix is nice, cohesive. (The cymbals got to a better place at the end).

Good title! The music "describes" that perfectly! Big, ominous, foreboding...

Cool.

fj

Thanx Floyd and you are correct. Something happened between the mix down in Studio One Pro 5 and/or SoundCloud's conversion that amplified those cymbals. I should have caught that but didn't.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:38 PM
Thanx Scott, Peter, and Will for those very nice comments. I appreciate them.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Originally Posted By: MarioD
..Sire, our kingdom is in great danger. The Gweiste kingdom was overthrown by a warlock and now that warlock king along with his wizards, witches that scream in very high pitches, and his army of the dead are marching. We must prepare for war!..

You will have a part 2 released soon where the rightful King along with his righteous army returns and slays this wicked warlock along with his wizards and witches.

"Very Slow Trance" that is how it all started.

I was actually thinking about doing that sometime.

Thanx for commenting.
Posted By: Derochette Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:42 PM
Hi MarioD,

The description of your composition fits perfectly with the heavy atmosphere created. It is absorbing and well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
It's about time, (it's about space...), some game manufacturer signed you.

Funny you should mention that as many years ago I wrote three video games that were published for the old Bally video game's users group. I also wrote a golf game for the old Atari system but I never submitted it because when I found out what those four weird ports were for my programming days ended and my MIDI days started.

Thanx for listening and commenting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Mario !

This is fantastic !
As the others have pointed out
this is film music and if it is not
you´ll better have the retreat
well prepared in advance ? Why not come over to
Spain to see me in September ?

Cheers
Dani

I'd love to come over but my wife is having some health problems and I just spent my last dollar on house repairs. Maybe next year.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Dark works for me, Mario wink

Quite the ride, I enjoyed the journey.

\
Thanx so much Dave!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 07:43 PM
Watch out Harry Potter!!! Very cool score music!! I think the crash is a bit loud and not wet enough. Very well done Mario!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 08:04 PM
I like a dark song.

The title instantly caught my attention.

I like that change at 1:35.

You have quite the musical imagination to make the story come alive with just the music!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/19/21 09:41 PM

This sounds great Mario!

A lot of fun!!!!

smile
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/20/21 11:20 AM
Mario, your doing these better all the time! This is really good. This would work in film for sure! Those "odd" little voices midway will raise the hair on the back of your neck lol! Great job! Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/21/21 11:33 PM
A very good produced piece of music. Move score ready. Well done.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/22/21 10:09 AM
Greg, Ezekiel's Storm, David, Torrey, and jptjptjpt, thanx so much for listening and commenting on this song. I know that it is very different than most music posted here and I am glad that so many commented about it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/23/21 01:08 PM
HBO is ready when you are. This could've worked perfectly for the upcoming new Dune movie.

Dark, foreboding, ominous and always engaging.

Great production. Your imagination, talent and array of products paid off big time!

Wow.

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/25/21 12:30 PM
Strong title and the story told well with lots of imagination, excellent (MIDI) historical sounds and great playing. I enjoyed the mood and the slow moving march from right to left. The drums are haunting, I can feel stomping on the ground. Nice example of BIAB's MIDI capabilities.

Janne
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/27/21 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
HBO is ready when you are. This could've worked perfectly for the upcoming new Dune movie.

Dark, foreboding, ominous and always engaging.

Great production. Your imagination, talent and array of products paid off big time!

Wow.

J&B

J&B thanx so much for this fantastic review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/27/21 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Strong title and the story told well with lots of imagination, excellent (MIDI) historical sounds and great playing. I enjoyed the mood and the slow moving march from right to left. The drums are haunting, I can feel stomping on the ground. Nice example of BIAB's MIDI capabilities.

Janne

Janne, thanx for listening and those comments. I greatly appreciate them.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/27/21 01:41 PM
Mario,
The sense of foreboding comes through very well- with relentless percussion I can feel the dread footfall of hordes approach!
Cool soundscape.

Robert
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/27/21 08:38 PM
Cool vibe.

Doing cinematic music well is not an easy task. You pulled this off nicely. I liked that you started with BB but ended up in a different place thanks to Kontakt. And K. Hunter. Oh yeah, and your imagination.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: March of the Warlock King - 07/27/21 11:57 PM
Love your introductory description, Mario and the piece fully lives up to it. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Noel96 Re: March of the Warlock King - 08/16/21 10:58 AM
Hi Mario,

This is another fantastic soundscape!

It definitely lives up to its title. The Kontakt sounds that you've used are incredible. It is so easy to imagine this being used in a Fantasy setting in Dolby surround sound. Breathtaking.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 08/16/21 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mario,
The sense of foreboding comes through very well- with relentless percussion I can feel the dread footfall of hordes approach!
Cool soundscape.

Robert

Thanx so much Robert.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 08/16/21 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool vibe.

Doing cinematic music well is not an easy task. You pulled this off nicely. I liked that you started with BB but ended up in a different place thanks to Kontakt. And K. Hunter. Oh yeah, and your imagination.

Thanx. It helps that my brain is a half a bubble off center! I really like doing these kinds of genres. I'm happy that you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 08/16/21 03:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Love your introductory description, Mario and the piece fully lives up to it. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon

Thanx Leon. I thought without the description the song would loose it meaning.
Posted By: MarioD Re: March of the Warlock King - 08/16/21 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Mario,

This is another fantastic soundscape!

It definitely lives up to its title. The Kontakt sounds that you've used are incredible. It is so easy to imagine this being used in a Fantasy setting in Dolby surround sound. Breathtaking.

Regards,
Noel

Thanx so much Noel. I really like doing soundscapes, new age, and ambient music. Hopefully I will really get good at it.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: March of the Warlock King - 08/16/21 03:34 PM
Great listen! Loved the sturm and drang of it all. One of your best, it certainly got my ears' attention.
© PG Music Forums