PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Mixing Concrete - 07/21/21 11:46 AM
Mixing Concrete

I've been busy with other responsibilities lately, but after my summer vacation I decided to return to the lovely world of music & BIAB. Here is a quick song that started while I was rehearsing one famous classic rock song. As what usually happens, I got bored with playing and wanted to write new material. I wrote own lyrics inspired by that situation, modified the chord progression and wrote a new melody on top of that. This is the result, I hope it's original enough, maybe you can guess what I was playing smile

Based on style _HROCKLA.STY:

RD RockHardLA^7
Loop Cowbell Quarters 4

995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev120
1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev120
2764:Organ, Rhythm CountryBluesRockMike Ev 110
999:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzz Ev 120
996:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrisp Ev 120
3445:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryRockJohnny
3362:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritBluesRock70s Ev 110

Vocals by me

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

First there was the blues
then came the blue suede shoes
then there was the Stones
but now is time to shake those old bones.

Don't live in the past
nothing is forever cast
in concrete, in steel
tear up the rulebook, re-invent the wheel.

Mix concrete with love & imagination

Free your narrow mind
it's all right to leave the apes behind
don't gather old moss
overtake your heroes, be your own boss.

Roll the drum of licks
add your own gimmicks in the mix
don't fit in, be bold
show your wittiness, enhance the mold.

------------
Janne
Posted By: bluage Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/21/21 09:37 PM
Dear 'jannesan'...

You could find yourself jumping up-and-down to the rockin' rhythm, tossing your head this-way-and-that, and moving 'round on the floor with sweetly soulful energy to the good-times music in this earful of a song! There's a party atmosphere breaking out of it, but the lyrics are liberating enough to put ideas of a 'soft' revolution in spirit into our heads. In its own way it channels the musical energy of Bachman-Turner Overdrive's 'Takin' Care of Business' while the lyrics celebrate the eternal call to resist conformity. I think you discovered a live connection between your mind and heart as you composed this song and it comes across like colors in the wind.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/21/21 09:58 PM
Hi jannesan,

Good work! I understand why blueage refers to BTO - I can hear that "feel" too. It however doesn't really matter where you got the inspiration from... it is a good track in itself. Very well done!

Will
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/21/21 10:11 PM
The piano really stands out in this song in a good way and I think you did a great job! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/22/21 12:06 AM
Janne

Nicely done - enjoyed your take on a hidden classic (Stones? (the cowbell is a bit iconic)) track.

Strong big sound and it rocks nicely. The guitars are well done.

Very enjoyable and would be a good live number.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/22/21 03:38 AM
This bops.
well done.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/22/21 07:19 AM
Hi Janne,

Man, I'm trying to figure out your inspiration for this. Sounds familiar but I'm drawing a blank, hope at some point you enlighten us smile

Really well done, enjoyed!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/22/21 09:19 AM
You have masked the inspiration, and came up with a really cool song, Janne. I hear Beatles, but I usually do. smile You had me right from the title. The you start with these excellent lyrics:
"First there was the blues
but now is time to shake those old bones."
Yeah! "...tear up the rulebook, re-invent the wheel."

I hope you tell us the song you were working on, and I totally understand your desire to put it aside and create your own. And you created a wonderful piece just Mixing Concrete.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/22/21 10:42 PM
Cool rocker Janne. Love the groove for this tune. Excellent vocal and production. Well done
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/22/21 11:21 PM
Janne,
Fun tune! Got me hooked on the title. Excellent style fusion composition! You mixed this concrete well!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/23/21 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
DYou could find yourself jumping up-and-down to the rockin' rhythm, tossing your head this-way-and-that, and moving 'round on the floor with sweetly soulful energy to the good-times music in this earful of a song! There's a party atmosphere breaking out of it, but the lyrics are liberating enough to put ideas of a 'soft' revolution in spirit into our heads. In its own way it channels the musical energy of Bachman-Turner Overdrive's 'Takin' Care of Business' while the lyrics celebrate the eternal call to resist conformity. I think you discovered a live connection between your mind and heart as you composed this song and it comes across like colors in the wind.

Thanks bluage for your nice poetic review smile Although not started from that BTO song, I agree there is the same energy, like many early 70's songs have.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/23/21 11:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Good work! I understand why blueage refers to BTO - I can hear that "feel" too. It however doesn't really matter where you got the inspiration from... it is a good track in itself. Very well done!

Will

Thanks Will for your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/23/21 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The piano really stands out in this song in a good way and I think you did a great job! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it.

Thanks Ember for your kind words smile I agree, the honky tonk piano is a great instrument in the RT collection and it works with many songs.

Janne
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/23/21 01:39 PM
Janne,
Fun, quirky and hopeful lyrics applied to the classic rock sound.
Well sung and produced. The inspiration? I`m guessing FabFour though can`t quite place it... which means you made it your own.

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/24/21 04:11 PM
Got some "within you and without you" Harrison vibes. Cool.

GREAT clever lyric all the way through ... a mix song - who would've thought?

Along with that fine lyric are nice vocals, band choice and mix.

We enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/25/21 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nicely done - enjoyed your take on a hidden classic (Stones? (the cowbell is a bit iconic)) track.

Strong big sound and it rocks nicely. The guitars are well done.

Very enjoyable and would be a good live number.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind comment smile Not Stones, but actually I included the cowbell just because I have played it on Honky Tonk Woman and thought it would fit here also (noticed afterwards there was cowbell also in my source song). Yes, would be a good live number, that's why I left room for long soloing.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/25/21 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This bops.
well done.

Thanks Ray for listening and giving positive comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/25/21 12:39 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, I'm trying to figure out your inspiration for this. Sounds familiar but I'm drawing a blank, hope at some point you enlighten us smile

Really well done, enjoyed!

Thanks Dave for your positive comment smile I'll enlighten you, but before that, a small hint: the name of the band and a part of the title are included in the lyrics smile

Janne
Posted By: Derochette Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/25/21 04:24 PM
Hi jannesan,

Nice reflection on our way of life. The rhythm and the arrangement are very pleasant. The mix is ​​pleasant and has been worked well. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/25/21 06:04 PM
Janne,

Great opening—ear catching, toe tapping right from the get go. It’s got a Who vibe to me—particularly in that chorus. The mix is pretty solid to me; that organ works really well, and the BritBlues Rock solo, well, rocks. Good stuff, Janne—enjoyed my listen!

Kindest regards,

Deej
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/27/21 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
You have masked the inspiration, and came up with a really cool song, Janne. I hear Beatles, but I usually do. smile You had me right from the title. The you start with these excellent lyrics:

I hope you tell us the song you were working on, and I totally understand your desire to put it aside and create your own. And you created a wonderful piece just Mixing Concrete.

Thanks Marty, mentioning Beatles is always flattering smile Not The Beatles, but an English rock band too. Glad you liked the title and the lyrics.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/27/21 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool rocker Janne. Love the groove for this tune. Excellent vocal and production. Well done

Thanks Scott for commenting, glad you liked the groove smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/27/21 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Janne,
Fun tune! Got me hooked on the title. Excellent style fusion composition! You mixed this concrete well!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha for your kind and concrete comment smile

Janne
Posted By: rsdean Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/27/21 01:25 PM
Janne,

What a fun and well put together song. Great vocal and mix.

I really enjoyed this.

Bob
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/27/21 11:02 PM
That's a really well written song, Janne. It rocks. I also got a strong Who vibe from the chorus and detected some Beatles-like touches in there. From the hints you dropped in the comments I'm guessing your inspiration might be 'All right now' by Free (though I'm not actually hearing it).
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/29/21 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janne,
Fun, quirky and hopeful lyrics applied to the classic rock sound.
Well sung and produced. The inspiration? I`m guessing FabFour though can`t quite place it... which means you made it your own.

Robert

Thanks Robert for your kind comment smile I'm really glad you think I made it my own, I thought that the inspiration would be too obvious. Not FabFour though, but thanks for mentioning them laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/29/21 01:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Got some "within you and without you" Harrison vibes. Cool.

GREAT clever lyric all the way through ... a mix song - who would've thought?

Along with that fine lyric are nice vocals, band choice and mix.

We enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for your very positive comment smile Harrison - interesting and flattering observation. The idea behind the lyrics is that why make cover songs when you can easily make your own based on a hit song. I wish I'd gone much further, but unfortunately I'm not as creative as Mr. Snyder wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/29/21 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Nice reflection on our way of life. The rhythm and the arrangement are very pleasant. The mix is ​​pleasant and has been worked well. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks Derochette for your kind observations smile

Janne
Posted By: MarioD Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/29/21 05:21 PM
Like concrete this song is solid!

Excellent lyrics, vocal, backing tracks, leads and mix.

A solid R&R song.

A toe tapper from the git-go.

This is an excellent song.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/31/21 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Great opening—ear catching, toe tapping right from the get go. It’s got a Who vibe to me—particularly in that chorus. The mix is pretty solid to me; that organ works really well, and the BritBlues Rock solo, well, rocks. Good stuff, Janne—enjoyed my listen!

Kindest regards,

Deej

Thanks Deej for your positive comment smile And thanks for mentioning the Who, wouldn't have thought that, heartwarming reference although my voice cannot be compared to Daltrey's smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/31/21 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
What a fun and well put together song. Great vocal and mix.

I really enjoyed this.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/31/21 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
That's a really well written song, Janne. It rocks. I also got a strong Who vibe from the chorus and detected some Beatles-like touches in there. From the hints you dropped in the comments I'm guessing your inspiration might be 'All right now' by Free (though I'm not actually hearing it).
Regards,
Leon

Bingo, Leon! You got Free from my hints, nice to hear that you are not hearing their song, so I have manage to create an original enough song that rocks. And big thanks and additional plus also for "Beatles-like" words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 07/31/21 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Like concrete this song is solid!

Excellent lyrics, vocal, backing tracks, leads and mix.

A solid R&R song.

A toe tapper from the git-go.

This is an excellent song.

Thanks Mario for your very positive words, my smile is now surely cast in concrete smile

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Mixing Concrete - 08/01/21 03:08 PM

I agree with Marty on this! Good job! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Mixing Concrete - 08/03/21 08:14 PM
I really like the music and the instrumentation. The chorus is an ear grabber. What an imagination you have to create this!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 08/04/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

I agree with Marty on this! Good job! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey, I appreciate your positive comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Mixing Concrete - 08/04/21 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I really like the music and the instrumentation. The chorus is an ear grabber. What an imagination you have to create this!

Thanks Mr. Storm for your kind and uplifting words smile

Janne
© PG Music Forums